The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Accurater and I talked at halftime. He remarked that the game was as close as it was because we don’t fast break any more. In the second half we did, off of seven steals. But it’s true that this team doesn’t fast breaks as much as it could. I think Tyler Ennis’ instinct is to look over the defense before deciding when to make his move. He’s not looking to the basket as soon as he gets the ball. Ennis, obviously, can be very effective but don’t expect him to run the offense the way Sherman Douglas did. That puts a lot of pressure on our half-court offense. Fortunately we’ve got some weapons that could crack any defense.

- I’m glad we don’t have to face Noah Vonleh in the ACC. Not only is he very good in the paint on both ends, but he has an annoying playing style. He pushes, shoves and slaps he players he’s guard or who are guard him, or finds a way to tangle up their arms. Then he reacting as if he’s being mugged and gets the call. He reminds me of the old Villanova center, John “Elbows” Pinone, who was a master at working over opponents but doing it in such a way that he got all the calls.

- Our magical touch at the foul line was left back in paradise as we missed 10 of 25 foul shots. Fortunately, it didn’t matter- in this one.

- Baye Moussa Keita continues to struggle on both ends of the court. DaJuan Coleman continues to search for his game. I think Christmas is definitely our best option at center at this point.

- “My Three Sons”, (and Matt Park used the term for Patterson, Roberson and Johnson in tonight’s broadcast) were all set to go in with 2:08 left but because there was no break in the action, didn’t get in until 57 seconds. JB had 3 time outs left at the time. Come on, Jim! At least the game ended with the ball in Patterson’s hands. He committed to Indiana but then they decided they didn’t want him. He was a happy guy at the end.

Let's hope our freshmen get plenty of playing time in the next 3 games! I, too, was irritated with Boeheim but have you noticed he has never been the kind of coach that rubs defeat into our opponents faces?

Let's hope our freshmen get plenty of playing time in the next 3 games! I, too, was irritated with Boeheim but have you noticed he has never been the kind of coach that rubs defeat into our opponents faces?

Wouldn't leaving your starters in do the same thing.

Downside:

The Dome's continued refusal to show replays. Missed the Vonleh elbow and the flagrant on Cooney.

There's some sick irony in the fact that the kid who gets ejected from the game can sit in the locker room and see his highlight while the other 26,000 people in the building are in the dark.

I was very frustrated that JB didn't give Roberson any time, especially after CJ had 4 fouls and then up 20 with 6 minutes left, he brings back CJ. Why?? Also - it would have been nice to see Patterson get a minute or two. We were up 20 with 8 or so minutes left and Ennis played 40 by my unofficial count. Especially with recruits visiting, it is going to be hard to explain Roberson getting barely walk-on minutes. Putting him into the game wasn't like it was rubbing it in, he's a coveted recruit, not Brandon Reece.

Haven't heard of John Pinone since I was young. Do remember him as a bruiser but not dirty. Undersized I think.

I was very frustrated that JB didn't give Roberson any time, especially after CJ had 4 fouls and then up 20 with 6 minutes left, he brings back CJ. Why?? Also - it would have been nice to see Patterson get a minute or two. We were up 20 with 8 or so minutes left and Ennis played 40 by my unofficial count. Especially with recruits visiting, it is going to be hard to explain Roberson getting barely walk-on minutes. Putting him into the game wasn't like it was rubbing it in, he's a coveted recruit, not Brandon Reece.

How is that not true of any of our recruits? They are all coveted guys, not just Roberson.

He is making a point with the young guys - as is his wont. My guess is it has to do with defense.

He does what he thinks is best for the kid - even when it's at odds with what the kid thinks. Parenting 101.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom