The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor? | Syracusefan.com

The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor?

Cusecuse44

Walk On
With all of the various threads created after last night's horrific loss to Illinois, and all of the negative media attention lets talk about the elephant in the room. If the decision was yours:

1. When would you announce JB's departure from the program? Mid-season, end of the season, or do you give him one more season.

My answer: Announce his resignation mid-season and have Red/Gmac act as interim head coach. This gives Red/Gmac a few months to audition. The current players would probably stay since it's midseason. With the right hire in place, maybe some of them decide to stay. It gives the players some time to think about the situation/hire instead of being forced into a hurried decision regarding transfer.

2. Who would you pick as JB's successor?

My answer: I would hire outside of the program, except for perhaps Jason Hart. As for outside candidates, I want to someone young, not Pitino. I'll throw some names out there I'd at least call for an interview: Drew Valentine (Loyola-Chicago), Niko Medved (Colorado St), Matt Langel (Colgate), Mike Boynton (Ok State) or maybe even Isaac Brown (Wichita St). All are younger guys who in my opinion have proven more than Red or Gmac, and would inject some life into the program. Hopkins hasn't done enough at Washington to intrigue me anymore.

Langel can coach, but can he recruit at a high level?
Boynton can recruit, and he's a New York guy, but can he coach?

I like Drew Valentine. Michigan and Chicago ties. Great recruiting area. Young. He could be a homerun.
I agree, that's why I listed him first. He has the biggest potential of the bunch to be a homerun, and I think the current players would stay for him.

I bet he’d add a stud recruiter to the staff. I’m in on Langel too

I'd like to know how many guys have gone from Patriot League/Low major to the ACC and succeeded. Steve Donohue had great teams at Cornell and was a disaster at BC.

He's also 45 so not really "young."

Would the coach from Colgate excite the fan base? Seems like something out of the 60s.

With all of the various threads created after last night's horrific loss to Illinois, and all of the negative media attention lets talk about the elephant in the room. If the decision was yours:

1. When would you announce JB's departure from the program? Mid-season, end of the season, or do you give him one more season.

My answer: Announce his resignation mid-season and have Red/Gmac act as interim head coach. This gives Red/Gmac a few months to audition. The current players would probably stay since it's midseason. With the right hire in place, maybe some of them decide to stay. It gives the players some time to think about the situation/hire instead of being forced into a hurried decision regarding transfer.

My answer: I would hire outside of the program, except for perhaps Jason Hart. As for outside candidates, I want to someone young, not Pitino. I'll throw some names out there I'd at least call for an interview: Drew Valentine (Loyola-Chicago), Niko Medved (Colorado St), Matt Langel (Colgate), Mike Boynton (Ok State) or maybe even Isaac Brown (Wichita St). All are younger guys who in my opinion have proven more than Red or Gmac, and would inject some life into the program. Hopkins hasn't done enough at Washington to intrigue me anymore.
1 - It all depends on if JB is open to stepping down. If yes, after the new year, you have that last game be a celebration of all his greatness.

2 - National search as of when its announced. It should not be anyone on the current staff, imo.

I'd like to know how many guys have gone from Patriot League/Low major to the ACC and succeeded. Steve Donohue had great teams at Cornell and was a disaster at BC.

Would the coach from Colgate excite the fan base? Seems like something out of the 60s.
The Colgate stuff on this board is insane. They are currently 5-4. He shouldn't be NEAR our radar

He's young enough that he could coach for 20 years+ without having to worry about replacing him (assuming he panned out). I'm not sure the fanbase would be as excited over hiring the Colgate coach as the would Drew Valentine or Boynton. They're the two that intrigue me the most.

I can't envision any non-health related scenario that would induce JB to step down in the middle of the season.

But I DEFINITELY think we have to look outside the program for the infusion of new energy / coaching philosophies that will be needed to turn a ship that has been going off-course for quite some time.

Announce mid-season that he's stepping down at the end of the season makes sense to me. But boy, beyond that, the coaching question is the big toughie and indeed the elephant in the room.

Boynton can recruit and he's a NY guy. Could we pry him from OK St?
To me, outside family (including Hop + Hart (who I don't think is a possibility)) it's Boynton and it's not close. High level recruiter from NY stuck at football-first school in non-basketball-talent rich area of the country.

You get one chance at a guy like this with NY ties. Nobody from Brooklyn dreams about coaching at Oklahoma St. Coaches used to dream about having a program like Syracuse. The question is, would ADJW make such a bold move outside the program? Im skeptical.

no way he's being released midseason. no way should he be back next season.

In terms of #1.

I don't like mid season changes in college basketball unless the coach was involved in corruptio

If I was Wildhack I would tell JB that he is done at the end of the year - make it clear that whatever he chooses to do his contract is covered. JB has 4choices:
1) Announce now that he is coaching until the of the year.
2) Coach until the end of the year and then resign.
3) Coach until the end of the year and get let go in a "mutual" decision or by firing.
4) Quit now.

Hopefully #1 and #2 are what happens in the end.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom