The First Syracuse Mention in CBB Corruption Trial | Syracusefan.com

The First Syracuse Mention in CBB Corruption Trial

Jeremy L.

2018 Iggy Regular Season Record Winner
College basketball corruption trial: Wiretaps show payments wanted to recruit Zion Williamson, Marvin Bagley III

"Nike schools pay too," Code says on one of the videos. "In some form or fashion, Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Kentucky and all of those schools are doing something to help their kids."
Code later adds, "it's a mess because there's so much money involved."
When this portion of the video was played, Blazer testified that he understood Code to mean Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Kentucky to be schools that had relationships "like the ones we had Arizona … paying assistant coaches to get access to players."

Totally missed that tweet yesterday! This article was the first I've seen.

Quick google search, Triche and Rautins signed with Duffy

College basketball corruption trial: Wiretaps show payments wanted to recruit Zion Williamson, Marvin Bagley III

"Nike schools pay too," Code says on one of the videos. "In some form or fashion, Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Kentucky and all of those schools are doing something to help their kids."
When this portion of the video was played, Blazer testified that he understood Code to mean Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Kentucky to be schools that had relationships "like the ones we had Arizona … paying assistant coaches to get access to players."

Juicy stuff but terrible writing. They never even introduce who Code was.

The talent level recruited by UNC, Duke, Kentucky is so different than Syracuse.
Maybe our budget was lower...:rolleyes:

Totally missed that tweet yesterday! This article was the first I've seen.

Quick google search, Triche and Rautins signed with Duffy
duffy was carmelo's 1st agent. he also repped hakim at one time. pretty sure there have bern others.

duffy was carmelo's 1st agent. he also repped hakim at one time. pretty sure there have bern others.

A rep from his agency was but yes

maybe we were paying and then after sanctions part II, BF fiasco, we shut it down.

Nordlander went to Western Connecticut and covers UCONN sports. So consider the source.

Clearly we pay very poorly against the field...

also LOL at Duke... give me an e ffing break

What about this one?

Who all signed with Duffy?
Here is Duffy's client list.

Agent Client Lists - RealGM

He has represented some big stars and still has a number of players in the NBA..

Triche and Rautins were not heavily recruited, were not strong NBA prospects and were legacy players for Syracuse. No way they were paid big bucks to come to Syracuse.

Syracuse has had a lot of players drafted in the first round but I don't see any Duffy has represented in the last 10 years.

I am surprised Nordlander even bothered to post this.

He has represented some big stars and still has a number of players in the NBA..

Triche and Rautins were not heavily recruited, were not strong NBA prospects and were legacy players for Syracuse. No way they were paid big bucks to come to Syracuse.

Syracuse has had a lot of players drafted in the first round but I don't see any Duffy has represented in the last 10 years.

Pure speculation to follow:

If Duffy represented Melo, that's the only Duffy related recruitment that I think he could be referencing. It was mentioned that Warrick was also represented by Duffy at one point, but Warrick was not an elite recruit who would have been getting bags. iirc, he was kind of a last minute addition after we missed on somebody else. Maybe the last second pickup points to something shady? IDK, but I doubt it.

McCullough and Bazley are the only other elite recruits in the last decade+ that were at the level where money might have been discussed. Not sure who represents/represented them.

If we paid for anybody else then LOL, we paid for the wrong guys. We've had talented guys come in and perform well on their way to pro careers, but Waiters, MCW, Ennis, Grant, etc. should not have been getting baggies from anybody. If they were, then this issue is so pervasive that literally, literally, nobody's hands are clean.

Of course, we might've just lost a bunch of bidding wars, too.

Pure speculation to follow:

If Duffy represented Melo, that's the only Duffy related recruitment that I think he could be referencing. It was mentioned that Warrick was also represented by Duffy at one point, but Warrick was not an elite recruit who would have been getting bags. iirc, he was kind of a last minute addition after we missed on somebody else. Maybe the last second pickup points to something shady? IDK, but I doubt it.

McCullough and Bazley are the only other elite recruits in the last decade+ that were at the level where money might have been discussed. Not sure who represents/represented them.

If we paid for anybody else then LOL, we paid for the wrong guys. We've had talented guys come in and perform well on their way to pro careers, but Waiters, MCW, Ennis, Grant, etc. should not have been getting baggies from anybody. If they were, then this issue is so pervasive that literally, literally, nobody's hands are clean.

Of course, we might've just lost a bunch of bidding wars, too.
Dont forget Rak

Dont forget Rak

Donte also, I suppose. I think I intentionally block his team from memory. Staying with that time frame, I'd put Harris and Flynn in the 'good recruit, but not bag worthy' category.

Even so this was posted when the corruption first came out. Norlander and this thread is rehashing old news.

It's a decent piece, but hardly groundbreaking. I don't really feel like I learned anything substantial or new from reading it. Anyone can go around listing the top names, yet the only schools they actually have evidence of are the lower tiers who are desperate to land a big name. I'm not saying the big names aren't guilty of something - in fact, it would be foolish to assume otherwise, but these guys in the article strike me as guys who liked to talk a lot and drop names to impress the people with whom they were meeting. It didn't read as if they were very successful at landing the guys they were after, either. Maybe that's why they don't have any of the big name schools in their videos?