The foundation was laid today | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The foundation was laid today

You're losing it, Tipp.
hardly, you however u have never had it, to begin with. i do somewhat believe we r getting better but not in the leaps and bounds that you think and have thought, since we hired dino. your rediculous posts that teams will have to catch us because we will score so much evidences your naivety, i really have no issue with that except u insist on calling out other posters who have a differing opinion, and you do so in a condescending arrogant manner that is offensive. when you are u stymied you resort to posts such as this.

Since we are both old guys, I'm surprised that you don't seem to grasp how this "getting better" works. It's a gradual thing. You keep making progress gradually and then the thing gets better quickly as you become a program " on the rise"

In 1979 SU had a bunch of really good players based on years of work by Maloney.

In 1987 we were very good. But it took Mac several years of improvement to get there..

Forget "Stars. SU isn't going to get them. The strategy has to be incremental improvement over a period of years.
don't be surprised because i totally get that.by the way i liked maloney. the issue is recruiting. i grow weary of the unrealistic statements of how wonderful everything is and how certain teams,and i will mention rutgers,here are laughed at,when we are below or at their level. as old guys, we would never even be discussing a team like them.now we can barely keep up.
i also like marrone who was making that gradual improvement by coaching up which i believe babers will as well.
i don't like the kevin bacon animal house "all is well" statements. i differ with that and post my opinion.
i still feel there is something systemically wrong with administration and program. it should not take this many years to climb out of the abyss---and that cannot be ignored. i would be interested in your take on that . thanks for your thoughtful and courteous reply. seriously--not meant as sarcastic

don't be surprised because i totally get that.by the way i liked maloney. the issue is recruiting. i grow weary of the unrealistic statements of how wonderful everything is and how certain teams,and i will mention rutgers,here are laughed at,when we are below or at their level. as old guys, we would never even be discussing a team like them.now we can barely keep up.
i also like marrone who was making that gradual improvement by coaching up which i believe babers will as well.
i don't like the kevin bacon animal house "all is well" statements. i differ with that and post my opinion.
i still feel there is something systemically wrong with administration and program. it should not take this many years to climb out of the abyss---and that cannot be ignored. i would be interested in your take on that . thanks for your thoughtful and courteous reply. seriously--not meant as sarcastic

Turning around a college football program is hard to do. That's why guys that have shown they can do it are paid so well.

SU has been trying. They want to do it. But so do about 50 other schools that are outside looking in.

We keep restarting. That's not good. We need to hire a quality guy and stick with him the five years it will take.

Marrone would have gotten this thing turned around.

I think Babers is a "Man with a Plan". His personality is the right one for SU and for college football in 2017. All he has to do is steadily improve. Each class and each team needs to be better than the one before. SU doesn't need a superstar, they need a bunch of guys who are good to very good.

If Duke can do it, so can SU. That ought to be our short term benchmark.

Now if you are thinking parity with Clemson, FSU, and UL, that'll take longer.

Talent in college football has drifted South. The size, speed and atletism of the kids on the SEC teams and other Southern teams is beyond belief.

Turning around a college football program is hard to do. That's why guys that have shown they can do it are paid so well.

SU has been trying. They want to do it. But so do about 50 other schools that are outside looking in.

We keep restarting. That's not good. We need to hire a quality guy and stick with him the five years it will take.

I think Babers is a "Man with a Plan". His personality is the right one for SU and for college football in 2017. All he has to do is steadily improve. Each class and each team needs to be better than the one before. SU doesn't need a superstar, they need a bunch of guys who are good to very good.

Talent in college football has drifted South. The size, speed and atletism of the kids on the SEC teams and other Southern teams is beyond belief.

Marrone DID get it turned around. That was a really good team in 2012. I wish he would have stayed for life.

But since he didn't, you're right, you need a guy who has a plan, and he needs time to execute it. That's probably rich, coming from me, but I've learned a bit more each year paying close attention to this sport. It just doesn't happen as overnight as we want it to.

I just hope Dino really sees how good this program can be if he really sticks it out instead of jumping to the next offer. If the refurbishing of the Dome does get done, and gets done to the level we'd all want, there is so much potential for this program to stick out.

What a team needs, for a foundation, is a quality QB, strength in the lines on both sides, and 3 good recruiting classes in a row. We might have that -- with Shafer's 2015 group, the 2016 and 2017 classes that Babers has assembled, and Dungey (if he can stay healthy). Not saying we are all the way back. But if Babers adds 3 more grad transfers this Spring, we start to look like a team that can compete with 7 or 8 of the teams on the schedule.

hardly, you however u have never had it, to begin with. i do somewhat believe we r getting better but not in the leaps and bounds that you think and have thought, since we hired dino. your rediculous posts that teams will have to catch us because we will score so much evidences your naivety, i really have no issue with that except u insist on calling out other posters who have a differing opinion, and you do so in a condescending arrogant manner that is offensive. when you are u stymied you resort to posts such as this.

Let's take it step by step, Tipp.

1. We got better on O. We will get a lot better this year. That's Dino's plan, that's not just my opinion. It's shared with a lot of posters here.

2. I'll admit to thinking our scoring would have matched the increased yards and plays on O a lot more than it did. I don't have a problem saying I made a mistake. (That's not a sign of arrogance, BTW).

3. I "call out" or as I like to say "have a different opinion on a message board" any poster that I, um ... have a differing opinion on. That's kind of why we are here.

4. Stymied? I just think you went off the deep end with that post, so that's what I wrote. I'm not worried about what people think of me. I just share my opinion. I like others opinions using my "like" button. I disagree with opinions and I respond, sometimes.

If you'd like, block me.

Shocked to see Texas at 33 but really shocked to see WVU at 56.

You must be dog tired by now. You've been battling the entire SU fan base all day. Get a good night's sleep and come out firing again tomorrow! :)

agree with all of that.my concern now is the feeling of wavering i get by the administration in relation to the program.particularly in making the dome a modern attractive facility . however louisvile came from nowhere to somewhere in a reasonable time frame.

Word is Pierre does have break away speed but maybe not the wiggle that a guy like Stritz has.

Pierre and Stritz could be a version of thunder and lightening;)

The foundation was laid today.
c77978be413571f6098913fc70f5d79b.jpg

Again I tend to align with Tipphill in this area, I do think there is something wrong with the overall approach that the Iniversity has taken with the football program. I also don't think we are trending upward until you see it on the field. Tiphill is grumpy on all things Cuse but I do think he makes a lot of sense here

Whoever said Marrone failed us in recruiting would be wrong, he recruited what he needed to fit what he thought needed to be successful in his program, and although 2012 had a lot of GROB's better recruits mixed in, Marrone was starting to see improvement on the recruiting trail due to winning. Also the jump to the ACC and IPF would have helped too.

Like I said, recruiting looks to be about the same as it always has been and the university will need to answer serious questions if when the don't really improve the dome situation as well as if Dino packs it up at first show of success.

The focus inside SUAD has changed from basketball to football since Gross was fired. Gross literally destroyed the football program to build up other Olympic sports and gutted the football program to do so. Coyle and especially Wildhack are pro football much more or at least as much as basketball. Dollar investment has increased dramatically for football including paying the football coach more than the basketball coach (nonsense like this was going on for more than a decade). Investment in Olympic sports is now locked or reduced. Dome reno is only stumbling block due to NY state funds drying up due to COR disaster (we were within a few months of a major announcement).

Regarding recruiting, Babers did not add bodies just for he sake of filling up the number of open scholies - he's going to pocket them if he can't get the level and type of player to compete in the ACC. Very positive here as he could have easily added 5 more kids. You should be very very happy about this logical recruiting development Tipp.

Regardless, we did get a huge improvement in the D - according to those close to the program, the kids are taller, faster and bigger and the last kid DB transfer late in the day from ND was a huge get (3 to play 3?) He's my kid to watch this year. Some of these older JUCO kids will help to balance the D with older mature coupled with the younger kids. The only position I hope they pick up is another JUCO or Xfer DT and I'm happy with the entire class. Or convert one of the OL to DT since we seem to have an abundance of younger OL now.

The focus inside SUAD has changed from basketball to football since Gross was fired. Gross literally destroyed the football program to build up other Olympic sports and gutted the football program to do so. Coyle and especially Wildhack are pro football much more or at least as much as basketball. Dollar investment has increased dramatically for football including paying the football coach more than the basketball coach (nonsense like this was going on for more than a decade). Investment in Olympic sports is now locked or reduced. Dome reno is only stumbling block due to NY state funds drying up due to COR disaster (we were within a few months of a major announcement).

Regarding recruiting, Babers did not add bodies just for he sake of filling up the number of open scholies - he's going to pocket them if he can't get the level and type of player to compete in the ACC. Very positive here as he could have easily added 5 more kids. You should be very very happy about this logical recruiting development Tipp.

Regardless, we did get a huge improvement in the D - according to those close to the program, the kids are taller, faster and bigger and the last kid DB transfer late in the day from ND was a huge get (3 to play 3?) He's my kid to watch this year. Some of these older JUCO kids will help to balance the D with older mature coupled with the younger kids. The only position I hope they pick up is another JUCO or Xfer DT and I'm happy with the entire class. Or convert one of the OL to DT since we seem to have an abundance of younger OL now.
"Regarding recruiting, Babers did not add bodies just for he sake of filling up the number of open scholies - he's going to pocket them if he can't get the level and type of player to compete in the ACC."

Wish I could like this post more than once! This is exactly the point I was advocating earlier this week and was very happy to hear HCDB express this opinion.

After all, to create roster room, he just finished convincing a bunch of players to transfer. Why on earth sign a bunch of similar players to replace them? I fully expect to see a couple of PWO's join the ranks to enhance the overall roster numbers. If/when another player (i.e. JUCO, grad trans) is signed, at least we know he is expected to contribute and isn't simply a warm bodied space filler.

Again I tend to align with Tipphill in this area, I do think there is something wrong with the overall approach that the Iniversity has taken with the football program. I also don't think we are trending upward until you see it on the field. Tiphill is grumpy on all things Cuse but I do think he makes a lot of sense here

Whoever said Marrone failed us in recruiting would be wrong, he recruited what he needed to fit what he thought needed to be successful in his program, and although 2012 had a lot of GROB's better recruits mixed in, Marrone was starting to see improvement on the recruiting trail due to winning. Also the jump to the ACC and IPF would have helped too.

Like I said, recruiting looks to be about the same as it always has been and the university will need to answer serious questions if when the don't really improve the dome situation as well as if Dino packs it up at first show of success.

VaTech was the best win we've had since Marrone buried WVU. Certainly that happened on the field? Year 1 of Babers system on offense is only behind year 4 of Marrone. That's impressive.

The D was horrible. But key transfers and the measurables of the new recruits are more in line with ACC players.

As said multiple times: the top guys in Shafer/Marrone classes never got on the field. That's a fail. The top guys in this class will be here or are already enrolled.

I'm sure the ACC/IPF would have helped. But that's hypothetical.

do you have any insight into a plan b for the dome or to get funding????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom