The Four Best Teams | Syracusefan.com

The Four Best Teams

Fjoinkay

Starter
mantra that has been preached from on high now for over 5 years makes no sense. It is basically impossible to select the so-called 4 best teams. We don't even have a real, working definition for what a "best team" is. And there is no reason to limit the College Football Playoffs to just 4 teams. An 8-team playoff would please just about everyone for a lot of reasons.

The CFP committee system or mechanism is inherently flawed. There are just too many variables in our vastly complex world for a committee to select 4 best teams. Sure, usually in most seasons anyone could select the top team and maybe even the top 2 teams, but beyond that the waters get murky and the selection goes haywire as it is based on assumptions and beliefs and as such is subjective and confirmation bias is involved.

There are many reasons that the selection process is a dud, but some of the obvious reasons include the fact that there is no level playing field for evaluating teams. Some teams play 8 conference games while others play 9 conference games. Playing a 9th conference game takes a toll as conference games are usually more physically intense especially when compared to teams playing just 8 conference games who also schedule that additional or 4th out of conference game against a clearly inferior team. In fact, some of those teams with just 8 conference games schedule FCS schools. Some of those same teams never play an out of conference game on the road. One other problem out of many is that some really good teams playing just 8 conference games are never tested because the conference they are playing in is going through a down year.

Beyond the lack of a level playing field there are always problems in simply evaluating the importance of games. We often see games early in the season that are given a lot of value but later in the season that game turns out to have been a red herring because one of the teams was overrated and ended up having a mediocre season. Nevertheless, for a few weeks or even months people still talk about that game as having high value for the winner. That affects perception, rankings and strength of schedule at least for a while, and in a 12-game season those early misperceptions have a ripple effect that disrupts the system for the remainder of the year. The bottom line is that the system is always imperfect. The system is backward facing and it is riddled with flaws most of which are simply human nature and cannot be cleaned up completely.

Minnesota is a great example because this year's committee just ranked them #17 with an 8-0 record. The committee ranked 10 teams with at least one loss higher than Minnesota, and 6 teams of those teams ranked above the Gophers had 2 losses. Sure, it was the committee's initial poll, and now that Minnesota has just beaten #4 Penn State the committee will have no choice but to move Minnesota up, but how far? Will there still be teams with 2 losses ranked ahead of 9-0 Minnesota? Oklahoma just had a close call at home with Iowa State (5-4), so will the committee put Minnesota above Oklahoma with its 1 loss? How about Florida and Auburn each with 2 losses?

In defense of the committee, and by implication the 4-team playoff, some people are saying that the committee could not have known how good Minnesota is because even though they are now 9-0 they started the season slowly winning some close games against lesser talent and it took them a while to hit their stride and improve as a team. To that I say exactly! The committee does not know and cannot know and clearly did not know. The #17 ranking is all you need to know about the committee system and it's flaws. Teams do improve. Some teams get hot at the end of the season. And some teams who go undefeated turn out to be not as good as their records imply. All of that is true and all of it is evidence clearly showing why the committee system fails and is insufficient to select 4 "best" teams. We need an 8-team playoff.

One more tidbit using the Minny narrative. The AP didn't rank Minnesota in the Top-25 until the Gophers were 6-0. I am sure that played into the committee's perception. But even the AP had Minnesota at #13 heading into this week's game against Penn State. That means somehow that the AP which is made up of journalists, many of whom do not follow college football closely at all, had a better sense of this Minnesota football team than the committee? And by the way, yesterday on Gameday you may have seen the Bear pick Minnesota to cover against Penn State. Bear said that the Gophers would at least cover given the 6.5 points, and he said it would definitely be a close game. He was right, and he is not the only person who saw it that way although you wouldn't have known that from watching ESPN's coverage, sans Bear (or looking at the committee's rankings).

So, some may recall that college basketball used to always begin its season during the Thanksgiving holiday. This season we saw college hoops open its season on November 4th or 5th. Ergo, college football can have an 8-team playoff. That would require the 2 teams playing in the championship game to play one extra game.

Would we ever accept a 4-team college basketball tournament? Does the "best" team always win the college basketball tournament? I say no. In fact, the basketball tournament with all of its teams compensates for problems in the ranking system, and even with so many teams in the tournament there is still some controversy every year about teams on the bubble getting in or not getting in.

We love upsets in the college basketball tournament and just as much or maybe even more we love the possibility for upsets. Adding 4 more teams to the college football playoffs will not diminish the chaos, in fact it will add the potential for more chaos. More importantly, an 8-team playoff will reduce the impact of the inherent flaws in the selection process and rankings, and that step in my humble opinion absolutely needs to be taken.

Go Cuse!!

Last edited:
An 8 team playoff would make me lose interest in anything outside of ACC games. Why watch LSU vs Bama if both teams are locks for the playoff? With a 4 team playoff we just saw a de facto playoff game! I could live with a 6 team playoff, but even that is a stretch. At large bids should be a rare reward for very good teams. They should not be norm let alone have 3-4 of them. That makes no sense. There aren’t 8 deserving teams. And do you really think people won’t bitch would is number 8 vs 9?

Minnesota has no losses and beat Penn State.
Alabama has 1 loss and no great wins.
I put Minnesota above Alabama today.

My top 10
1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Clemson
4. Minnesota
5. Georgia
6. Alabama
7. Oregon
8. Utah
9. Oklahoma
10. Baylor

I can see 8 making sense, but I like 4 better. There’s some drama to really good 5, 6, 7 & 8 teams on the outside looking in bc they don’t take care of business late.

An 8 team playoff would make me lose interest in anything outside of ACC games. Why watch LSU vs Bama if both teams are locks for the playoff? With a 4 team playoff we just saw a de facto playoff game! I could live with a 6 team playoff, but even that is a stretch. At large bids should be a rare reward for very good teams. They should not be norm let alone have 3-4 of them. That makes no sense. There aren’t 8 deserving teams. And do you really think people won’t bitch would is number 8 vs 9?
If Notre Dame joined the ACC and they won’t because they are full of crazy stubborn people and we need their boomer alums to go off before they will adapt to modern time.
Then I would give all 5 conference champions a playoff berth and then leave 1 at-large bid.
It could be a midmajor or the best non champion.
Week after Army-Navy on campus
3 vs. 6
4 vs. 5

NYD
1 vs. lowest remaining team
2 vs. highest remaining team.

MLK Jr. Monday holiday
NC game.

mantra that has been preached from on high now for over 5 years makes no sense. It is basically impossible to select the so-called 4 best teams. We don't even have a real, working definition for what a "best team" is. And there is no reason to limit the College Football Playoffs to just 4 teams. An 8-team playoff would please just about everyone for a lot of reasons.

The CFP committee system or mechanism is inherently flawed. There are just too many variables in our vastly complex world for a committee to select 4 best teams. Sure, usually in most seasons anyone could select the top team and maybe even the top 2 teams, but beyond that the waters get murky and the selection goes haywire as it is based on assumptions and beliefs and as such is subjective and confirmation bias is involved.

There are many reasons that the selection process is a dud, but some of the obvious reasons include the fact that there is no level playing field for evaluating teams. Some teams play 8 conference games while others play 9 conference games. Playing a 9th conference game takes a toll as conference games are usually more physically intense especially when compared to teams playing just 8 conference games who also schedule that additional or 4th out of conference game against a clearly inferior team. In fact, some of those teams with just 8 conference games schedule FCS schools. Some of those same teams never play an out of conference game on the road. One other problem out of many is that some really good teams playing just 8 conference games are never tested because the conference they are playing in is going through a down year.

Beyond the lack of a level playing field there are always problems in simply evaluating the importance of games. We often see games early in the season that are given a lot of value but later in the season that game turns out to have been a red herring because one of the teams was overrated and ended up having a mediocre season. Nevertheless, for a few weeks or even months people still talk about that game as having high value for the winner. That affects perception, rankings and strength of schedule at least for a while, and in a 12-game season those early misperceptions have a ripple effect that disrupts the system for the remainder of the year. The bottom line is that the system is always imperfect. The system is backward facing and it is riddled with flaws most of which are simply human nature and cannot be cleaned up completely.

Minnesota is a great example because this year's committee just ranked them #17 with an 8-0 record. The committee ranked 10 teams with at least one loss higher than Minnesota, and 6 teams of those teams ranked above the Gophers had 2 losses. Sure, it was the committee's initial poll, and now that Minnesota has just beaten #4 Penn State the committee will have no choice but to move Minnesota up, but how far? Will there still be teams with 2 losses ranked ahead of 9-0 Minnesota? Oklahoma just had a close call at home with Iowa State (5-4), so will the committee put Minnesota above Oklahoma with its 1 loss? How about Florida and Auburn each with 2 losses?

In defense of the committee, and by implication the 4-team playoff, some people are saying that the committee could not have known how good Minnesota is because even though they are now 9-0 they started the season slowly winning some close games against lesser talent and it took them a while to hit their stride and improve as a team. To that I say exactly! The committee does not know and cannot know and clearly did not know. The #17 ranking is all you need to know about the committee system and it's flaws. Teams do improve. Some teams get hot at the end of the season. And some teams who go undefeated turn out to be not as good as their records imply. All of that is true and all of it is evidence clearly showing why the committee system fails and is insufficient to select 4 "best" teams. We need an 8-team playoff.

One more tidbit using the Minny narrative. The AP didn't rank Minnesota in the Top-25 until the Gophers were 6-0. I am sure that played into the committee's perception. But even the AP had Minnesota at #13 heading into this week's game against Penn State. That means somehow that the AP which is made up of journalists, many of whom do not follow college football closely at all, had a better sense of this Minnesota football team than the committee? And by the way, yesterday on Gameday you may have seen the Bear pick Minnesota to cover against Penn State. Bear said that the Gophers would at least cover given the 6.5 points, and he said it would definitely be a close game. He was right, and he is not the only person who saw it that way although you wouldn't have known that from watching ESPN's coverage, sans Bear (or looking at the committee's rankings).

So, some may recall that college basketball used to always begin its season during the Thanksgiving holiday. This season we saw college hoops open its season on November 4th or 5th. Ergo, college football can have an 8-team playoff. That would require the 2 teams playing in the championship game to play one extra game.

Would we ever accept a 4-team college basketball tournament? Does the "best" team always win the college basketball tournament? I say no. In fact, the basketball tournament with all of its teams compensates for problems in the ranking system, and even with so many teams in the tournament there is still some controversy every year about teams on the bubble getting in or not getting in.

We love upsets in the college basketball tournament and just as much or maybe even more we love the possibility for upsets. Adding 4 more teams to the college football playoffs will not diminish the chaos, in fact it will add the potential for more chaos. More importantly, an 8-team playoff will reduce the impact of the inherent flaws in the selection process and rankings, and that step in my humble opinion absolutely needs to be taken.

Go Cuse!!
Watch the games bro. It's very clear who the top teams are. Do you think Baylor has a chance versus Ohio state? Do you think Minnesota has a chance versus LSU? 4 teams are fine.

Watch the games bro. It's very clear who the top teams are. Do you think Baylor has a chance versus Ohio state? Do you think Minnesota has a chance versus LSU? 4 teams are fine.
I don’t want 8 for that reason.
6 I see as legit.
Typically one team left is legit and to make it work add a 6th team.
Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson are clearly the top program’s in the nation.

LSU, Georgia are on the cusp.

Minnesota has no losses and beat Penn State.
Alabama has 1 loss and no great wins.
I put Minnesota above Alabama today.

My top 10
1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Clemson
4. Minnesota
5. Georgia
6. Alabama
7. Oregon
8. Utah
9. Oklahoma
10. Baylor

Which is why 8 makes no sense. One of OU or Baylor is guaranteed to lose at least one game. And if they split there 2 games? Now you are down to 9 maybe 8. One of Utah or Oregon is guaranteed to lose at least one game. Now you are down to 8 maybe 7. If UGA or Minny lose a game, which is likely, then neither deserve it. So you most likely are down to 6, maybe 5. How do you get back up to 8 teams?

With 8 teams Clemson could lose the ACC CG and still make the playoff. Let that set in.

6 I see as legit.

Bama is not in the party this year. I'm a bama fan too, they are not in the top 4 period. The whole tank for tua is comical, he will not be a winning nfl QB.

With an 8 team playoff you have to simplify it a little more...

you would have to do the P5 conference champions all get automatic bids into the playoffs. No matter who they are or records.

then you would take the last remaining three spots and give those to be at large positions...would allow the teams like Boise State and what not from mid majors that are calling for the 8 playoff team system to work. It also would still keep the prestige of the power conferences regular season play because you need to get to the conference championship theoretically to get into the playoffs.

not a perfect system by any means but it might work

If Notre Dame joined the ACC and they won’t because they are full of crazy stubborn people and we need their boomer alums to go off before they will adapt to modern time.
Then I would give all 5 conference champions a playoff berth and then leave 1 at-large bid.
It could be a midmajor or the best non champion.
Week after Army-Navy on campus
3 vs. 6
4 vs. 5

NYD
1 vs. lowest remaining team
2 vs. highest remaining team.

MLK Jr. Monday holiday
NC game.

I could live with that under one condition, the conference champ has to be Top 10. That would force conferences to scrap divisions and play the top two in the conference championship. Also the G5 applies here too. Win for everyone.

No way Pitt deserves a bid last year. Instead it would have been SU playing Clemson. And we would not deserve a bid either.

Last year would have been:

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. tOSU
5. UCF
6. Washington

ND gets left out at 12-0 which forces them to join a conference.

Four is plenty. There has always been at least one semi final blowout. Two of the five finals have been blowouts. Expanding is just a money grab that will guarantee 2 B1G and SEC teams in every year.

Another reason why 4-6 is better than 8, no team should be a lock going into the conference championship games. Which adds meaning and drama to those games. With 8 teams you likely have 2 locks which means the CCGs lose meaning.

many games are decided by bad coaching and not making plays.. PSU wins the game if they just kick the FG in the 4th, but they chased the TD and instead never got the chance to kick the FG to win

The problem with 4 is there is no reward for winning your conference. We've seen conference championship weekends where the games literally didn't matter; Penn State and Wisconsin played for the BIG championship while Ohio State was already in one year.

If we stick with 4, the conference championship games need to go bye-bye. They won't because this is all about squeezing as much money out of the slave laborers work as possible - but they are utterly meaningless nonsense at this point.

many games are decided by bad coaching and not making plays.. PSU wins the game if they just kick the FG in the 4th, but they chased the TD and instead never got the chance to kick the FG to win

Not only that. If the go for 1 in the 3rd Q it totally changes what you do going forward.

6 I see as legit.

i would actually take it one step further:

All conference champions get an auto bid.

Conference champions are titled how each conference sees fit.

11 auto-bids and 1 at large.

Top four seeds get byes. All games played at home fueled of the higher seeded team until the title game.

This throws a bone to the non P5. It gives real power to the conferences. It also allows the regular season, if the conferences re-calibrate correctly, to mean something.

The problem with 4 is there is no reward for winning your conference. We've seen conference championship weekends where the games literally didn't matter; Penn State and Wisconsin played for the BIG championship while Ohio State was already in one year.

If we stick with 4, the conference championship games need to go bye-bye. They won't because this is all about squeezing as much money out of the slave laborers work as possible - but they are utterly meaningless nonsense at this point.
All they got to do is scrap divisions.
Make the 2 best teams play conference title games.
Somebody needs to reintroduce the clauses divisions aren’t necessary to play a conference title game.
Big Ten didn’t want to do the ACC any favors well now they have to realize the ACC won’t go away so let the 3-5-5 go and play the top teams in the conference title game and then conference titles would matter.

i would actually take it one step further:

All conference champions get an auto bid.

Conference champions are titled how each conference sees fit.

11 auto-bids and 1 at large.

Top four seeds get byes. All games played at home fueled of the higher seeded team until the title game.

This throws a bone to the non P5. It gives real power to the conferences. It also allows the regular season, if the conferences re-calibrate correctly, to mean something.
For this to occur you would need to reduce the season to 11 games and keep the control of the tournament with the P5 and not the NCAA.
The NCAA doesn’t control the FBS football championship they control the FCS.

For this to occur you would need to reduce the season to 11 games and keep the control of the tournament with the P5 and not the NCAA.
The NCAA doesn’t control the FBS football championship they control the FCS.

good point.
One other call out, I would even be open to going to five at large bids in this scenario to get to sixteen playoff teams and doing tiered bye system.

good point.
One other call out, I would even be open to going to five at large bids in this scenario to get to sixteen playoff teams and doing tiered bye system.

Why? Why have the G5 teams in the playoffs? Why have at large teams? Why have 16? What is the point? Because people like playoffs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom