The Game Has Changed - We Haven't | Syracusefan.com

The Game Has Changed - We Haven't

anomander

Living Legend
We will always be some what competitive because we will muck the game up with the zone. But continuing to recruit primarily those who fit the zone is antiquating our offense. The NBA has completely changed, and a lot of college programs now run a wide open offense that spreads the floor with shooters. Unless you have an absolutely dominate center, who can either get you buckets down low consistently, or shoot, the position is becoming far less important. I can't think of many good teams who continue to trot out offensively challenged big men? Not only are you playing 4 on 5, but it clogs things up. Just once I would love to see JB play small ball, and not because the center is in foul trouble. Our offense has become completely stagnant and stale and it's not just because of the continued use of big men with no offensive ability. Hopefully it's a sign that he is changing by recruiting someone like JG3, and Buddy, but the long athletes, that fit the zone, but can't shoot, have compounded our offensive problems. We can no longer be stubborn and not recruit shooters because they may not fit the zone. The game has changed. You need to be able to space the floor with shooters. Not clog it up with non-shooters and rely on iso-plays. It's the exact opposite of where the game has gone. It's like ground hogs day every year with us complaining about an offense with no shooters. This reliance on the zone is going to leave us behind our peers, if it hasn't already done so. There are rarely times when all-time greats have a happy ending. If we don't change offensively i'm worried we will end up being another case and point.

Let’s hold off on throwing in the towel and see how we look with our PG back. We know this group of players can be elite defensively. I don’t think Battle and Brissett are going to suck all year.

I’m a little worried though with regards to recruiting as I think we are tying up some scholarships with guys who aren’t very good.

There are rarely times when all-time greats have a happy ending. If we don't change offensively i'm worried we will end up being another case and point.
speaking of which, when is his current contract up?

Not exactly. JB is still recruiting for length. Goodine is yet another off-guard that we’ll try to convert. And Ajak is another center project.

Goodine shot 40% from 3 and averaged 19ppg as a lead guard in the EYBL. You probably have never seen him play or know his background so I’d cool it talking about him if I were you.

Last edited:
Most of our current guys are good offensively (Battle, Brissett, Carey, Hughes, Buddy, Frank), and the same can be said for the recruits coming in next year. The problem is our offensive scheme - there’s no movement. Watching other college teams on offense - how they move the ball around, how they set screens, how they move off the ball - that’s where the difference is. The zone is fine, but we really need a new identity on offense. What we’ve been doing just isn’t working anymore.

It’s amazing how our offense will be fine if we make shots. You can move and screen all day long, but if you can’t make shots it won’t matter.
Motion should help create better shots. Watch the games everyone other than the player with the ball is stagnant. There are no off ball screens or cuts. Its almost like Jim is waiting for Pearl to float down from Heaven and run the show again.

We knew we weren't going to be a good outside shooting team. Our guys are What they are when th 3s aren't going down you need to do something different. Get the ball.to the rim create get the ball inside.

It’s amazing how our offense will be fine if we make shots. You can move and screen all day long, but if you can’t make shots it won’t matter.
That’s true but having a scheme that makes it more difficult to get and make those shots doesn’t make a lot of sense. If you don’t ha e a Kylie, harden, or westbrook, the constant iso thing feels like a handicap.

Movement makes mediocre players better. It makes great players better.

For those who watch more college ball than I do, is any other team as reliant on the 1-on-1 thing as we are?

We knew we weren't going to be a good outside shooting team. Our guys are What they are when th 3s aren't going down you need to do something different. Get the ball.to the rim create get the ball inside.
I didn’t know that. I thought battle had an improved jumper. I thought Brissett would take a step forward. I thought Howard would be equal or improved. We saw Marek take a major step forward at the tail end of last season. Hughes looked like the best player on the team in the exhibitions. Buddy, if he got any minutes. And Carey for depth/change of pace. I absolutely assumed we would be a pretty good outside team.

There’s still time for all of that to be realized. It’s just odd that we look like we are just starting to practice while other teams look gelled.

I want.to buck the trend and have us take less three point shots. Brissette especially. I know the hype and I know it's early but we aren't going to win bombing threes

We will always be some what competitive because we will muck the game up with the zone. But continuing to recruit primarily those who fit the zone is antiquating our offense. The NBA has completely changed, and a lot of college programs now run a wide open offense that spreads the floor with shooters. Unless you have an absolutely dominate center, who can either get you buckets down low consistently, or shoot, the position is becoming far less important. I can't think of many good teams who continue to trot out offensively challenged big men? Not only are you playing 4 on 5, but it clogs things up. Just once I would love to see JB play small ball, and not because the center is in foul trouble. Our offense has become completely stagnant and stale and it's not just because of the continued use of big men with no offensive ability. Hopefully it's a sign that he is changing by recruiting someone like JG3, and Buddy, but the long athletes, that fit the zone, but can't shoot, have compounded our offensive problems. We can no longer be stubborn and not recruit shooters because they may not fit the zone. The game has changed. You need to be able to space the floor with shooters. Not clog it up with non-shooters and rely on iso-plays. It's the exact opposite of where the game has gone. It's like ground hogs day every year with us complaining about an offense with no shooters. This reliance on the zone is going to leave us behind our peers, if it hasn't already done so. There are rarely times when all-time greats have a happy ending. If we don't change offensively i'm worried we will end up being another case and point.

Good post. Agree completely.

I feel like we’ve been complaining about the offense since MCW left and Ennis slowed things down to a snail’s pace. After that we’ve just been awful offensively.
Things were trending down even with MCW. Remember 61-39 vs Hoyas?

We made lots of tough shots with the AW3 team. Offense was still a mess and had no flow.

One positive is that we have 3 guys coming that are all offensively skilled players. JG3/QG/BG can all put the ball in the hoop. I wish we would forget the redshirt for Quincy when he gets here just in case we need some scoring. He only plans on being here a few years anyways.

Our offense isn’t the same as it was 20 years ago. We used to be a very good offensive team and in fact JB was known as an offensive guru and attended several NBA camps or coaching seminars to talk about his version of the motion offense.

Goodine shot 40% from 3 and averaged 19ppg as a lead guard in the EYBL. You probably have never seen him play or no his background so I’d cool it talking about him if I were you.
What about JG3. Can he score? Where does he rank in New York stare history. Quincy seems like he is passable on offense. LOL. I just can’t even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom