The game was really decided by 1 thing | Syracusefan.com

The game was really decided by 1 thing

upperdeck

Living Legend
That the Clemson oline was big enough to power run on plays that were not really all that well blocked but washed ahead for gains over and over.. Thats what size does..

We often had multiple parts of the oline beat but they could push 1/3 of the line and plays that could have been 0-2 went for 3-5 and that adds up over a whole game for 300 yds. Even with the big run they only avg 4.9 vs our 4.4 but it turned into 60 runs and wore the Dline out..

Losing guys like Thompson with his size and Lockett really made some guys play more snaps and that adds up.

Shipley runs hard for his size.

they ended up with almost twice as many plays and we had half as many negative plays.

Yup and ND is going to do the same. Run over and over with their stable of backs and play action to the TE.
So they key is the offense scoring more than zero in a half.. had we just kicked a couple FGS we will likely win. but going backwards did more than just give the ball back we never flipped the field other than the fumble.. So no time came off , no pts and no yds gained.. even 3-4 more First downs takes 5-7 min off the clock.

That the Clemson oline was big enough to power run on plays that were not really all that well blocked but washed ahead for gains over and over.. Thats what size does..

We often had multiple parts of the oline beat but they could push 1/3 of the line and plays that could have been 0-2 went for 3-5 and that adds up over a whole game for 300 yds. Even with the big run they only avg 4.9 vs our 4.4 but it turned into 60 runs and wore the Dline out..

Losing guys like Thompson with his size and Lockett really made some guys play more snaps and that adds up.

they ended up with almost twice as many plays and we had half as many negative plays.

I was looking over the Play by Play this AM...I really think it was the QB Change.

DJ was hideous (and we helped that cause), but once they put the backup, they went much more conservative and let their line go to work like you said.

Yup and ND is going to do the same. Run over and over with their stable of backs and play action to the TE.
Well on the last two drives Clemson tried to ram it down our throats and they couldn’t. We got stops . Our defense does not depend on size. That’s been clear. Now having 45 banged up certainly is concerning, Our guys are will get it done. Your giving a lot of respect to a team that lost to Marshall and Stanford at home.

I was looking over the Play by Play this AM...I really think it was the QB Change.

DJ was hideous (and we helped that cause), but once they put the backup, they went much more conservative and let their line go to work like you said.
yeah.. I was not impressed by the backup.. Even in limited action.. Without the call they are probably into the 4th without a score and then without the other call who knows.. But he hasnt seen much action so who knows. being able to power dribble for scores helped them a ton because they rarely got any guys into space which is usually how they beat us.

Well on the last two drives Clemson tried to ram it down our throats and they couldn’t. We got stops . Our defense does not depend on size. That’s been clear. Now having 45 banged up certainly is concerning, Our guys are will get it done. Your giving a lot of respect to a team that lost to Marshall and Stanford at home.
I dont think NDs dline is close to Clemson which is a start.. but can we play mistake free and score. AT home will help.. I think the QB change would have not have worked so well for Clemson with a home crowd yelling.

You know, it's funny, that's exactly what I was getting at before the NC State game when I said Leary being out might make for a more challenging game for us.

I was wrong about that, but what you just mentioned is the idea I was going for, and I definitely think the QB switch didn't necessarily provide a spark, it more put Clemson in position to operate their offense in a simpler way that played to some advantages they had that they weren't utilizing.

I still think we win that game if we had just run the ball more in the 2nd half.

Match ups matter.

1 - Our defensive front doesn't match up well with their o-line.

2 - Thier TE Mayer (6'5", 265) is a beast and a match up nightmare for everyone.

Don't be fooled by their record. Notre Dame is very talented.

The question is will we guard the TE or just give him free releases in zone.. When we actually played the Purdue TE we did ok and defended a few. The issue is we play alot of a free release zone stuff and he ate that up.

Match ups matter.

2 - Thier TE Mayer (6'5", 265) is a beast and a match up nightmare for everyone.

I don't think anybody is fooled into thinking Notre Dame isn't talented.

I think we're all wondering if they're any good, and if maybe we're just a better team.

Last edited:
ND is a better match up for us as their D is talented but not close to Clemson. Their coaching staff doesn't impress me and of course we are at the JMA.
Im sure we dont have the package but id love to see us go with Tucker and Allen in the backfield at the same time.

You got it half right

SU lost the game because of 85-54, the number of plays run.

Your right the Clemson OL had a big impact, they were in 2nd and medium and 3rd and short the whole game.

On the other had the whole second half SU was in 2nd and 3rd long and punted every drive until the last in the second, with every drive I believe no more than five plays.

Clemson consistently won on 1st down on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:
one of the few times this year we got behind the chains drive after drive.. a Negative play , a sack, a penalty and then we couldnt dig out of it and the few times we did another penalty..

And the key to rendering that ineffectual, as was the case with NC State, is to move the sticks and outscore them. To play from ahead, and render 3 yards and a cloud of dust ineffectual, since they need to catch up.

Make no mistake….ND will run and run and run. And they have the size to do it. Had Clemson committed to the run and didn‘t get cute, they wouldn’t have had 4 turnovers. Gonna be a dog fight on Saturday in the dome.

ND ran for 76/130 vs OSU and Marshall and lost

141 vs cal and struggled

then ran well vs UNC/BYU 287/234 and won

then 150 vs Stanford. and lost.

they are a 300 yd team 4 of the 6 games.. we cant let them be the 500 yd team that they played well in.

Match ups matter.

They lost to Marshall and Stanford.

They lost to Marshall and Stanford.

True.

And they played Ohio State tough. ND led at the half, 10-7 and ultimately lost 10-21.

And, ND beat UNC, 45-32 in Chapel Hill. ND was up 45-20 with ten minutes to go in the game. UNC was favored by 2.5 points. UNC is currently 6-1, ranked #21, and leading the ACC Coastal Division.

That makes them inconsistent.

It doesn't mean they aren't good.

Make no mistake….ND will run and run and run. And they have the size to do it. Had Clemson committed to the run and didn‘t get cute, they wouldn’t have had 4 turnovers. Gonna be a dog fight on Saturday in the dome.
Clemson had 60 run attempts. They did run the ball.

True.

And they played Ohio State tough. ND led at the half, 10-7 and ultimately lost 10-21.

And, ND beat UNC, 45-32 in Chapel Hill. ND was up 45-20 with ten minutes to go in the game. UNC was favored by 2.5 points. UNC is currently 6-1, ranked #21, and leading the ACC Coastal Division.

That makes them inconsistent.

It doesn't mean they aren't good.
Seriously, I don’t think people here think it will be easy. The main thing I worry about is coming off two big games for the program plus our overall physical condition. Let down is possible.

ND is a better match up for us as their D is talented but not close to Clemson. Their coaching staff doesn't impress me and of course we are at the JMA.
Im sure we dont have the package but id love to see us go with Tucker and Allen in the backfield at the same time.
Music to SWCs ears

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom