The Great Fatigue Debate | Syracusefan.com

The Great Fatigue Debate

anomander

Living Legend
Does JB know something we all don't know? It sure seemed like we ran out of gas at the 10 minute mark today. Cooney, CJ, and Ennis played all or the majority of the game at that point. Ennis and Cooney were awful at the top of the zone from that time on out.
Also is it a surprise we always get off to a hot start through January only to struggle through February and early March?
Can it also be tied to our seemingly never ending rash of late season injuries? People associated with sports medicine have said they were concerned with the amount of minutes causing injuries because your body gets so worn down.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I agree. We can say that they are 18yo all day long but when I was 18 I certainly became tired when playing sports and when I was tired I dogged it. Or even when I tried, I was less effective. Today, Syracuse looked clearly like they gave up after that 40-40 tie.

Roberson better start getting playing time. Looked like he belonged.

Roberson better start getting playing time. Looked like he belonged.

I feel he has been solid all year. He is active on defense, which is the most important, and at least is a threat offensively. 6-8 minutes a game isn't going to hurt you.

New starting lineup
Keita center
Silent G point
Roberson pf
Johnson sf
Patterson. 2g

let face some basic facts. if playing your 5 best players 40 minutes every game was the best strategy for winning then every college coach in america would do it.but it's been proven over time that it simply doesn't work and the principle reason for that is fatigue. thus evolved this complicated process and need to develop during the course of a season a strong bench rotation.

Last edited:
New starting lineup
Keita center
Silent G point
Roberson pf
Johnson sf
Patterson. 2g

Totally what everyone is saying.

What I'd like to see against GT:

Ennis
Cooney
Fair
Roberson
Xmas

I don't want to see Xmas at the 4 at all.

Rick Pitino has always been one of my favorite coaches because he willingly grasps the concept of playing his bench. Once again we're watching the Cards start to peak at the right time...why? Because he lost a few games in November to build a solid rotation for his team's playing style.
Yes, we're beating a dead horse here w/ JB, but I can never understand his unwillingness to play more kids. Its no coincidence that when kids who rode the pine are given PT, that suddenly we have a "new" revelation from another player every season.
On a similar note; I watched a ESPN interview w/ JB and Coach K where JB said the one thing he admires most about Coach K, and the hardest thing for a HC to do, is to be willing to CHANGE.
Paraphrasing: "Most coaches wanna do it their way and don't take advice very well. What makes Mike so great is he's willing to listen and accept something different, even if he's wrong".
IMO, JB is too bull-headed to change his perspective on this issue. Consequently, we're almost always one injury away from derailing an entire season. We'll get our 25 wins & compete for a conf championship, maybe make the semis of an OBE/ACC Tourney. But its no coincidence, IMO, that JB doesn't usually go past the S16.
Not saying this issue is the main reason why, but I submit its a MAJOR factor, ie; Not utilizing assets on the bench & overuse of the assets that are playing. JMHO

DoctorBombay said:
Rick Pitino has always been one of my favorite coaches because he willingly grasps the concept of playing his bench. Once again we're watching the Cards start to peak at the right time...why? Because he lost a few games in November to build a solid rotation for his team's playing style. Yes, we're beating a dead horse here w/ JB, but I can never understand his unwillingness to play more kids. Its no coincidence that when kids who rode the pine are given PT, that suddenly we have a "new" revelation from another player every season. On a similar note; I watched a ESPN interview w/ JB and Coach K where JB said the one thing he admires most about Coach K, and the hardest thing for a HC to do, is to be willing to CHANGE. Paraphrasing: "Most coaches wanna do it their way and don't take advice very well. What makes Mike so great is he's willing to listen and accept something different, even if he's wrong". IMO, JB is too bull-headed to change his perspective on this issue. Consequently, we're almost always one injury away from derailing an entire season. We'll get our 25 wins & compete for a conf championship, maybe make the semis of an OBE/ACC Tourney. But its no coincidence, IMO, that JB doesn't usually go past the S16. Not saying this issue is the main reason why, but I submit its a MAJOR factor, ie; Not utilizing assets on the bench & overuse of the assets that are playing. JMHO

Agree with you in principle, but must point out Louisville lost yesterday too.

I feel he has been solid all year. He is active on defense, which is the most important, and at least is a threat offensively. 6-8 minutes a game isn't going to hurt you.

In fact, it'd help us.

Dirty little secret: Fair spends a lot of time standing and watching. How about the half-court lob that UVA converted? Boeheim put on a good show, blasting Keita for quitting after turning the ball over. But C.J. was actually involved with the play and didn't move.

If Roberson were a threat to take some minutes, I don't doubt that we'd get a higher level of play from the other frontcourt players. Competition was a good thing with Scoop, Triche, and Waiters. No reason it'd be different with this group

And, yeah - Roberson's got a lot of offensive skills, actually has rebounding instincts (body up!), and has picked up the zone better than any freshman I can remember. He belongs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom