The hard part is I like Dino | Syracusefan.com

The hard part is I like Dino

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
This is a guy who has command of the roster personalities. They play hard for this coach. To me this is a weird one because he clearly screws up every big decision end of game.

I go back and forth on Dino because he frankly has found a team that Syracuse should be behind bc they are fun! It’s a fun northeast style team which is ironic bc it wasn’t what we were sold. This is a BC style team w a huge running game and super solid D. I just wonder what Dino built is to be optimized by a coach who knows this sydtem. I credit Dino for building this team but he only had success w pinball style teams

wildhack has a decision if the team wins one more game. Two more hes not gonna switch it up. I would be shocked if he does

You know what I don’t like about Dino?

The fact that he NEVER takes the blame for his team in post game interviews. Never once have I heard him say “this lost starts with me.”

Every Saturday you hear coaches across the country bite the bullet after a loss even when they don’t have the glaring game management issues that Dino has. Whether they really believe it or not, they say it.

Our guy doesn’t. Great he doesn’t call out players specifically but it’s time for him to accept responsibility for their performance. The arrogance act is tired and well past acceptable.

You know what I don’t like about Dino?

The fact that he NEVER takes the blame for his team in post game interviews. Never once have I heard him say “this lost starts with me.”

Every Saturday you hear coaches across the country bite the bullet after a loss even when they don’t have the glaring game management issues that Dino has. Whether they really believe it or not, they say it.

Our guy doesn’t. Great he doesn’t call out players specifically but it’s time for him to accept responsibility for their performance. The arrogance act is tired and well past acceptable.
The performative art of press conferences I could care less about. I don’t care about that.

my post is about me being torn about this program and person. He’s not shafer or gerg where i was 100% aligned w a sacking. This one I am on board with if we don’t bowl but I don’t think Dino is helping himself optimize his coaching. He needs a deleone

If we are stuck with Dino next year we need a new OC, otherwise it will be a losing season. But why would a decent OC come for a lame duck HC? Bringing Dino back next year is a waste of time like bringing back GRob for year 4.

Can certainly fault the clock management and crucial end of game decisions. I did not like the 2019 or 2020 teams (weak QB room, youth in the OL, injury bug that was no one’s fault) and felt Dino and staff had failed to hit jucos or the transfers to fill obvious talent gaps. Maybe they tried, but at times, those teams could not compete.

‘This 2021 team is different. Lots to like, though we don’t have the special receivers who provided the edge for Wake and Clemson. Our defense is young (apart from the veterans in the DL) and aggressive. They have led the ACC in sacks. Obviously Tucker is special and Shrader’s running has given us a chance and saved drives.. Got to give credit to Dino for finding the right DC and the right OL coach to put the team in position to win.

‘Three tough losses in a row, with our players motivated and fighting like heck, with several stirring long drives. Covered the spread each time. Kept it exciting. Can fault Dino for the decisions (some of them 50/50 calls, some boneheaded), but this is a good team. Might be 5 and 7, deserving better. Don’t think you replace a staff when you look at the full picture.

Can certainly fault the clock management and crucial end of game decisions. I did not like the 2019 or 2020 teams (weak QB room, youth in the OL, injury bug that was no one’s fault) and felt Dino and staff had failed to hit jucos or the transfers to fill obvious talent gaps. Maybe they tried, but at times, those teams could not compete.

‘This 2021 team is different. Lots to like, though we don’t have the special receivers who provided the edge for Wake and Clemson. Our defense is young (apart from the veterans in the DL) and aggressive. They have led the ACC in sacks. Obviously Tucker is special and Shrader’s running has given us a chance and saved drives.. Got to give credit to Dino for finding the right DC and the right OL coach to put the team in position to win.

‘Three tough losses in a row, with our players motivated and fighting like heck, with several stirring long drives. Covered the spread each time. Kept it exciting. Can fault Dino for the decisions (some of them 50/50 calls, some boneheaded), but this is a good team. Might be 5 and 7, deserving better. Don’t think you replace a staff when you look at the full picture.
Kinda where I am but w 5 wins I think I’d move on and find a guy who could meathead it better than him. This is a meathead team ironically

If we are stuck with Dino next year we need a new OC, otherwise it will be a losing season. But why would a decent OC come for a lame duck HC? Bringing Dino back next year is a waste of time like bringing back GRob for year 4.
You want a new OC? Why didn't the head coach let the current OC play the SEC QB that he went out and got from the start instead of continuing the TD experiment? Oh, you want Gilbert to run Sean and Garrett until they're out for the season from the pounding their taking. SU receivers got manhandled all game long which is why they couldn't get seperation. The OC called a good game and they were in position to get the win against an elite talent team, if only the HC would have played for the win.

You didn't like the game Gilbert called? I didn't like every call, but we had a bunch of opportunities that Shrader missed. If he has even average accuracy, we play with a lead most of the game. And that doesn't even account for the drops. I don't mean this as an insult to him either, he makes plays for us. He's just limited. Our OC knows it and calls plays accordingly. Opposing DC's know it too. There's only so much creativity available when you can't threaten the defense more than 10 yards downfield.

Yeah for once I’m not angry at Gilbert.

wish he would open it up a little more with Shrader but overall he called a pretty decent game against Clemson.

Dino made some really really questionable calls for the third week in a row. That’s what’s scary. Is that he’s making the same mistakes consistently

You didn't like the game Gilbert called? I didn't like every call, but we had a bunch of opportunities that Shrader missed. If he has even average accuracy, we play with a lead most of the game. And that doesn't even account for the drops. I don't mean this as an insult to him either, he makes plays for us. He's just limited. Our OC knows it and calls plays accordingly. Opposing DC's know it too. There's only so much creativity available when you can't threaten the defense more than 10 yards downfield.

The problem with Shrader is that if he can't plant the right foot, he lacks the arm strength to make an accurate pass more than 20 yards or so in the air. He could improve in this regard in the off-season.

Part I like: What a miraculous turnaround with the running game. Impressive.

Part I don’t like: Like everything else, it took way too long to address.

I don’t know how long he will be coach, but I think he will always struggle with making timely adjustments.

The problem with Shrader is that if he can't plant the right foot, he lacks the arm strength to make an accurate pass more than 20 yards or so in the air. He could improve in this regard in the off-season.
I don't think it's that simple. There were a few short passes he tried to rip with no pressure that went into the turf 5 yards in front of the reciever. I hope some of what we see is correctable. He is what he is and I think he still gives us the best chance to win right now.

I don't think it's that simple. There were a few short passes he tried to rip with no pressure that went into the turf 5 yards in front of the reciever. I hope some of what we see is correctable. He is what he is and I think he still gives us the best chance to win right now.

He's only a sophomore, so I disagree. He has room for improvement, and is still learning.

Other defenses know how limited both GS is and our WRs, but most of them are not elite like Clemson. Only Georgia is better defensively and we actually were more productive than anyone they have played this year. Including the number one team in America.

What I meant is that he is what he is this year.

Yeah, you can't have him start doing heavy weight work on his throwing arm midseason, or he'll have a dead arm by mid-November.

Other defenses know how limited both GS is and our WRs, but most of them are not elite like Clemson. Only Georgia is better defensively and we actually were more productive than anyone they have played this year. Including the number one team in America.
You can't say that. The reason we lost is that Dino called a time out and then chose to kick the fieldgoal (a decision I disagreed with). It had nothing to do with our pedestrian passing game or Clemson's elite defense.

You can't say that. The reason we lost is that Dino called a time out and then chose to kick the fieldgoal (a decision I disagreed with). It had nothing to do with our pedestrian passing game or Clemson's elite defense.

When we got the ball down to that 4th and 1, we still had something like 38 seconds left in the game, how do you chicken out like that? You run to the line, snap the ball, and Shrader does a spin move on contact at the line, and gets the 1st down. Then you can try to win the damn game. Dino should run practices and do the press conferences. But get the hell out of the way and let your coordinators call the game.

It’s hard to win with this sad group of receivers. It was the difference in the game. We have ZERO receivers with the ability to go up in traffic to make a big catch, including the former prima Dona Harris. Clemson made every big catch in traffic last night and that was the difference in the game.

Yesterday in a close low scoring game we had a 60-40 pass to run ratio. There is no way to justify that what so ever. How do you have a 19 play stretch in the 2nd half and run Tucker only TWO times?

Our QB struggles to pass. Our WRs are the weak unit on O. They cannot get open. They cannot catch. Our OL struggles to pass block. They also had a 2nd stringer out there. We ran the ball very well the first half. How can you justify calling 40 pass plays given the above? It was insane.

It’s hard to win with this sad group of receivers. It was the difference in the game. We have ZERO receivers with the ability to go up in traffic to make a big catch, including the former prima Dona Harris. Clemson made every big catch in traffic last night and that was the difference in the game.
How many drops did we have ? I’m guessing 9. The WRs are NOT good. They made me miss Taj and I hate Taj

How many drops did we have ? I’m guessing 9. The WRs are NOT good. They made me miss Taj and I hate Taj

Nope. Taj had PLENTY O drops.

Also - IF it was Taj and not Queeley on that bad pass where Q broke up a gimme INT - it's an INT, and Game Over.

Taj literally not ONCE in his career fought to keep a bad pass from becoming an INT.

I was 100% pro-Dino the first 4 years.
I even gave him a pass for 2019.
The last 2 years have done enough I no longer see him as the guy.
When he came he was exciting and easy to like and support.
He has become so conservative and makes so many clock management mistakes.
You can’t defend him anymore in my books.

Nope. Taj had PLENTY O drops.

Also - IF it was Taj and not Queeley on that bad pass where Q broke up a gimme INT - it's an INT, and Game Over.

Taj literally not ONCE in his career fought to keep a bad pass from becoming an INT.
Very true Taj wouldn’t have broken that up and Taj had LOTS of drops BUT he was good for a couple big catches and good YAC

He has his warts but we miss him out there. We don’t have anything close to a #1 WR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom