The head coach's thinking for 22-23 | Syracusefan.com

The head coach's thinking for 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearl31

in cahoots
at least as I see it:

HOPE that at least 2 of the 3 freshmen forwards can score and defend from day one. HOPE that Edwards can play aggressively without fouling a lot. HOPE that between Bol-Ajok/Carey/Brown there is sufficient backup at center for when Edwards is in foul trouble or injured. HOPE that the team can scrap together enough wins this upcoming season to be a tournament team. HOPE that throwing the freshmen to the wolves this year makes them battle-tested and a formidable team for next year and beyond. HOPE that...
yeah, I think you get it

at least as I see it:

HOPE that at least 2 of the 3 freshmen forwards can score and defend from day one. HOPE that Edwards can play aggressively without fouling a lot. HOPE that between Bol-Ajok/Carey/Brown there is sufficient backup at center for when Edwards is in foul trouble or injured. HOPE that the team can scrap together enough wins this upcoming season to be a tournament team. HOPE that throwing the freshmen to the wolves this year makes them battle-tested and a formidable team for next year and beyond. HOPE that...
yeah, I think you get it

I’d say a lot of teams hope since there are no guarantees.

Yep, agreed. But a lot of teams do all they can so that if all of the HOPE doesn't work out there are viable contingencies. To the point- they recruit tirelessly and utilize the portal.

Maybe we shouldnt have signed a 6 man class.

Or maybe recruited prior classes with more vigor. Or done more to retain the talented players that transferred out. Or made a couple more of that 6-man class more ACC-ready (granted, that last one is to be seen).
I'm not sure how fair this criticism is. The backcourt will be fine. Richmond left for greener pastures and found out not much had changed. Now he has a new coaching staff at Hall.

The transfer portal was significantly utilized last year and that did not result in a winning year. I wish we still had Guerrier. Not sure what happened there but guess we can chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

Losing Anselem is really not a big deal. He looked like a boy amongst men most nights he started. Sidibe on a hobbled knee had to play more than he was supposed to because of Anselem's blatant struggles.

I think your criticism is unfair considering we have not seen the roster play yet. I'd rather have this freshman class than redo the strategy from last year, adding two starting forwards from the portal (Swider and Jimmy Jr).

Maybe the benefits of this class won't be evident next season, however, to totally assume the coaching staff botched this already is a little too "glass half-empty" for me.

at least as I see it:

yeah, I think you get it
Let me assure you of something I kn ow for sure, they are not hoping for one second of JBA at the 5.

I'm not sure how fair this criticism is. The backcourt will be fine. Richmond left for greener pastures and found out not much had changed. Now he has a new coaching staff at Hall.

The transfer portal was significantly utilized last year and that did not result in a winning year. I wish we still had Guerrier. Not sure what happened there but guess we can chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

Losing Anselem is really not a big deal. He looked like a boy amongst men most nights he started. Sidibe on a hobbled knee had to play more than he was supposed to because of Anselem's blatant struggles.

I think your criticism is unfair considering we have not seen the roster play yet. I'd rather have this freshman class than redo the strategy from last year, adding two starting forwards from the portal (Swider and Jimmy Jr).

Maybe the benefits of this class won't be evident next season, however, to totally assume the coaching staff botched this already is a little too "glass half-empty" for me.
LOL I would take another Swider over any of our frosh forwards every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

One positive for the upcoming season is that with so many new pieces we will see growth from the beginning to the end. If we see a lot of growth then it will be a nice season. If we see only moderate growth then it could be a struggle.

LOL I would take another Swider over any of our frosh forwards every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Well, that's not what I was saying. Sort of a non sequitur there dasher

at least as I see it:

yeah, I think you get it

I am hopeful this becomes a guard dominant team with the dominant big man in Jesse and the new and improved Benny. Unless we add help I don't see how this team can win being dependent on developmental freshmen filling a giant void out of the gate. Running 3 experienced guards heavier minutes with Copeland and Taylor as additional guard depth and Brown and Bunch mixing in at forward to me makes more sense. Obviously we likely start a Bunch or Taylor but minutes wise and to win games either there is a major sleeper beyond Mintz in this class or we need to go smaller. That could also mean mixing up the defense too. Will be interesting.

Still hope we add someone but seems things are dead quiet.

Jimmy is certainly not free of criticism, especially given the recent trajectory but how many years have we been knocking him for lackluster recruiting classes and now we have a top 15 class. Or how many comments have there been about losing guys who we felt deserved minutes and now they’ll get those minutes.

He’ll have arguably the front runner for the ACC’s most improved player returning plus a 3 year starter. A senior who was playing his best basketball at the end of the year and a borderline 5 star recruit who has a year in the system and will play more free now that he won’t be yanked on his first mistake.

Now I think it’s a mistake to not bring in a vet forward or backup center. But I think it’s premature to write off the year or assume that all the freshman outside of mintz won’t be able to contribute.

Last edited:
Losing Anselem is really not a big deal.
How can you say this? How?
In what world does a center not get in foul trouble every third game?

If you want to say, Frankie was going to leave due to mins and there was nothing we could do. I'll agree...but to suggest it's not a big deal is ludicrous. if Jesse gets hurt, we're toast. To me, that's not a great plan B.

No, Sidibe played because Edwards got hurt.

I am hopeful this becomes a guard dominant team with the dominant big man in Jesse and the new and improved Benny. Unless we add help I don't see how this team can win being dependent on developmental freshmen filling a giant void out of the gate. Running 3 experienced guards heavier minutes with Copeland and Taylor as additional guard depth and Brown and Bunch mixing in at forward to me makes more sense. Obviously we likely start a Bunch or Taylor but minutes wise and to win games either there is a major sleeper beyond Mintz in this class or we need to go smaller. That could also mean mixing up the defense too. Will be interesting.

Still hope we add someone but seems things are dead quiet.
That would seem to require playing something other than 2-3, especially when all of the top 3 guards are small.

Harris and Pace were often too small for the back of the zone….imagine Mintz or Symir down there?

If you want to say, Frankie was going to leave due to mins and there was nothing we could do. I'll agree...but to suggest it's not a big deal is ludicrous. if Jesse gets hurt, we're toast. To me, that's not a great plan B.
I can live without adding another forward. We definitely need a backup center, though.

Frank was clearly not ACC level starter and was even a subpar backup. Am I missing something? Having no backup is bad, but please do not act like he is some great player. Last season was a big struggle and now he might be stepping onto a Georgia team that has to totally reset their program.

That would seem to require playing something other than 2-3, especially when all of the top 3 guards are small.

Harris and Pace were often too small for the back of the zone….imagine Mintz or Symir down there?

Absolutely would have to be. JB says things like playing man so.. because JB says things we say things lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom