The Hobbit | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Hobbit

Yeah, they showed Thorin and the dwarfs taking on the Orcs and Goblins at Moria in a flashback explaining how Thorin became known as Oakenshield.

Saw it over the weekend and as expected there were things that were stretched and added. There were only a couple things I did not like. I took issue with the way some of the dwarves looked cartoonish while others looked more like short humans. Thorin in particular was too good looking for a dwarf. Then there was the height issue. The dwarves were all roughly the same height as Bilbo which I found disappointing.

My biggest beef with the movie was the way they handled the finding of Sting. In the movie they had Gandalf find it and basically gift it to Bilbo instead of the book where Bilbo chooses it for himself. To non-Tolkien fans it probably seems like nothing but in reality it kind of changes the whole arc of the story.

All in all I enjoyed it. I mean after all it was The Hobbit on the big screen and I have waited all of my life for that so hard to be to critical.

Saw it over the weekend and as expected there were things that were stretched and added. There were only a couple things I did not like. I took issue with the way some of the dwarves looked cartoonish while others looked more like short humans. Thorin in particular was too good looking for a dwarf. Then there was the height issue. The dwarves were all roughly the same height as Bilbo which I found disappointing.

My biggest beef with the movie was the way they handled the finding of Sting. In the movie they had Gandalf find it and basically gift it to Bilbo instead of the book where Bilbo chooses it for himself. To non-Tolkien fans it probably seems like nothing but in reality it kind of changes the whole arc of the story.

All in all I enjoyed it. I mean after all it was The Hobbit on the big screen and I have waited all of my life for that so hard to be to critical.

I concur on the Sting issue. Why change that? I was similarly disappointed in the way they had Arwen (instead of Frodo) stand up to the ringwraiths on the riverbank.

Been awhile, but wasn't Arwen a guy in the book? At least that's what I remember. Made him into a female character to add a romance storyline. I hear (haven't seen it yet) they've done something similar to The Hobbit with Galadriel. And also that a lot of the filler in the trilogy comes from The Silmarillion.

I always preferred The Hobbit over LOTR. The human story lines in LOTR always bored me. Hobbit really transported me there. I dig any kind of survival related books/movies, and that's what it was. A lot of it is just wandering through the woods and wondering what's around the corner. Right off the bat, I was disappointed in how the dwarves look. They should mostly all be old and surly! After all, this is a race where even females have beards.

Arwen wasn't a guy (she was a character, but much more minimal in the books), but the character she took the place of in that particular sequence was a guy. I can't for the life of me remember the character name, but he was pretty badass and I remember being disappointed when they cut him out of the film version just so they could give Liv Tyler more to do.

The chief complaint has been that the movie is too long and feels padded, which is true, since Jackson is turning as 270 page book into a trilogy. How could it not be padded? There are certain scenes that could have either been trimmed or cut altogether to streamline the film a bit more, but do they really take away from the overall experience? I don't think so..
I guess it's a smart move from a financial standpoint . . . I'll have to remember that the next time Peter Jackson delivers a lecture on the evils of Western Capitalism.

Arwen wasn't a guy (she was a character, but much more minimal in the books), but the character she took the place of in that particular sequence was a guy. I can't for the life of me remember the character name, but he was pretty badass and I remember being disappointed when they cut him out of the film version just so they could give Liv Tyler more to do.

Glorfindel was the elf who owned the nazgul at the river.

Arwen is the daughter of Elrond and later ends up marrying Aragorn. They way overplayed the Arwen / Aragorn romance in the movies.

Finally saw it. The CGI for Azog was terrible! I mean, like really bad. Why basically create that storyline, and then have the baddie look so bad? Smaug better make up for it.

Overall, I liked it. I'm going to reread the book and compare.

Finally saw it. The CGI for Azog was terrible! I mean, like really bad. Why basically create that storyline, and then have the baddie look so bad? Smaug better make up for it.

Overall, I liked it. I'm going to reread the book and compare.
I enjoyed it, twice

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

On a level of B@dd@ssn3ss LOTR gets about a 9.8 the first hobbit gets about a 3.4. Not enough sidestories, building the land/creatures/stories/dangers through storytelling and not enough enemies.
Alittle to cartoonish at points that took away from the seriousness(but they are dwarfs instead of humans and elfs).

LOTR was like a rpg. The first Hobbit was like a repetitive level action game.
Liked it, but I hope the second and third books build more on substance and seriousness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom