The huge burly SU big man. | Syracusefan.com

The huge burly SU big man.

M

Manleymen

Does SU actively recruit true centers who can score and defend and bang down low on both ends of the court. I look at the tar heels with Bacot and huskies with Sanogo (sp) as a sample. No knock on Jessie he’s worth his salt And love his game - but this is a different perspective. It seems those teams that have the big dudes who can push people around and wear you down are some of the most effective teams ranked high. Even Pitt attracted some bangers via the portal and have those anchors down low. Who is the last big man at Cuse who could routinely ring up a double double and do all that nasty stuff that are like the offensive lineman in the NFL that never get credit. Do we have anybody like that in recent memory? For me that element is sorely missing. it would not hurt to have some muscle go in an create some action like a pin ball machine to go along with our finesse play. We will always have the octopus armed recruit efforts goals.

One wonders if a lack of assistants who played the 4 or 5 has something to do with it. Not that it does or should matter much, necessarily. But if a rival coach is competing for a recruit, any argument seems like it might come in handy during the sales pitch aspect of the job. Fine didn't fit the description, but he had a major resume.

One wonders if a lack of assistants who played the 4 or 5 has something to do with it. Not that it does or should matter much, necessarily. But if a rival coach is competing for a recruit, any argument seems like it might come in handy during the sales pitch aspect of the job. Fine didn't fit the description, but he had a major resume.
That is a valid point - maybe we need to look at a Danny Manning type assistant. How is Ewing doing recruiting big guys?

This has always been an empty argument. The acknowledged godfather of big man coaching was Pete Newell, who was not a large person and never played the position. You either know the techniques and can teach them or you don't.

This has always been an empty argument. The acknowledged godfather of big man coaching was Pete Newell, who was not a large person and never played the position. You either know the techniques and can teach them or you don't.
Did he recruit any notable big men? Technique is fine, but you cannot teach big guys moving opponents off the block if you do not have the bulk. That is the focus here.

Centers hate us. Why? No idea. But no quality centers ever want to play here.

Centers hate us. Why? No idea. But no quality centers ever want to play here.
We had that run of Melo, Coleman, Christmas too. All stud recruits, all started as freshman even though they weren’t ready. All developed and improved greatly though Coleman just could never stay healthy. Two of them went to the NBA, and our teams were really good most of those years.

Then it’s been all projects ever since. Weird.

It’s not an empty argument. It's valid if the recruit believes it.
The name Pete Newell probably means very little to anyone who is 16 years old right now. Besides that, he was just one person. We are taking about a broader theme.

Think about it: if you were a top 10 center prospect right now, who would you want to be (assistant)coached by? Not specific names. What would the qualifications/characteristics of that assistant be?

Last edited:
He was long gone by the time Christmas developed into a star his senior year though.

Edwards has improved greatly in his time here.
But those are like the big strong scoring and defending forwards.

It’s not an empty argument. Its valid if the recruit believes it.
The name Pete Newell probably means very little to anyone who is 16 years old right now. Besides that, he was just one person. We are taking about a broader theme.

Think about it: if you were a top 10 center prospect right now, who would you want to be (assistant)coached by? Not specific names. What would the qualifications/characteristics of that assistant be?
Well, I would say "not Patrick Ewing".

Did he recruit any notable big men? Technique is fine, but you cannot teach big guys moving opponents off the block if you do not have the bulk. That is the focus here.
Sure you can, if you have a backup (or even a student manager) who has the bulk. Coaches do not have to be totally hands-on.

It’s not an empty argument. Its valid if the recruit believes it.

Who are these behemoths on the Duke and UK staff? Last I knew Duke was all guards, unless that changed after K left?

UK assistants that have gotten buzz over the years were Kenny Payne and Orlando Antigua.

Who are these behemoths on the Duke and UK staff? Last I knew Duke was all guards, unless that changed after K left?

UK assistants that have gotten buzz over the years were Kenny Payne and Orlando Antigua.
Some programs can succeed despite certain ‘illogic.’ Duke and UK recruit well for multiple reasons.

It’s not a necessity that a good bigs coach be an ex-big. But if you’re an ex-guard on the Duke staff and you are used to working with guys who then go on to be too 10 draft picks who stick, that’s your resumé. We have guards who have neither big experience nor ‘proof’ in the nba. As I said, if I were a big time recruit, I’d be looking for certain ‘qualifications.’ I don’t see them on our staff.

Some programs can succeed despite certain ‘illogic.’ Duke and UK recruit well for multiple reasons.

It’s not a necessity that a good bigs coach be an ex-big. But if you’re an ex-guard on the Duke staff and you are used to working with guys who then go on to be too 10 draft picks who stick, that’s your resumé. We have guards who have neither big experience nor ‘proof’ in the nba. As I said, if I were a big time recruit, I’d be looking for certain ‘qualifications.’ I don’t see them on our staff.
That is right on target. You would believe in the past five years if we went hard after a big bruising enforcer with some offensive skills it would make a world of difference. At some point we need to drop the narcissistic 2-3 zone and do what the top 25 or 64 teams - except Miami has. Get that recruit NOW. Stubbornness leads to stagnation and it has reared its ugly head for many years Running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom