The inbounds conundrum | Syracusefan.com

The inbounds conundrum

JDubbin

The ONLY Syracuse Sneakers Avatar Guy
I've mentioned a few times that I work with College basketball teams, coaches & players every week. There was a time, I think it was maybe 10 years ago, that Syracuse ran such an ingenious inbounds play that I literally brought the video clip to a head basketball coach the next day & said "You need to run this." It involved a double screen at the top of the lane that ended up with one of the screeners rolling to get an alley oop on the inbounds. I really wish I could find it again. It was beautiful

For whatever reason, of the past 3-4 seasons, Syracuse has run the same baseline inbounds play over & over... & over, & over... & over. Pass to the short corner, use catcher of the pass as a screen to hit the inbounder stepping in at the 3 point line in the corner. Over... & over... &... over... & over... It's congested. It's stale. It still works from time to time, but there is NO innovation at all. For multiple years. I bet you would not be able to find a clip of Syracuse ONE TIME getting a quick slip on an inbounds for a layup or dunk. It's not even an option, it's like the idea of creating an easy basket on an inbounds has just been given up on, never to be revisited.

But here's where it really gets crazy, & it happened again tonight. Syracuse calls a TO before inbound (which I absolutely dread for obvious reasons) & THEN JUST RUN THE SAME INBOUNDS PLAY ANYWAY. As if teams don't know it's coming? I know it's coming. YOU know it's coming... WE ALL KNOW WHAT SYRACUSE IS GOING TO TRY & DO ON AN INBOUNDS. How is that even a thing? It's stunning... but it's been going on multiple years, it just doesn't compute anymore.

I've mentioned a few times that I work with College basketball teams, coaches & players every week. There was a time, I think it was maybe 10 years ago, that Syracuse ran such an ingenious inbounds play that I literally brought the video clip to a head basketball coach the next day & said "You need to run this." It involved a double screen at the top of the lane that ended up with one of the screeners rolling to get an alley oop on the inbounds. I really wish I could find it again. It was beautiful

For whatever reason, of the past 3-4 seasons, Syracuse has run the same baseline inbounds play over & over... & over, & over... & over. Pass to the short corner, use catcher of the pass as a screen to hit the inbounder stepping in at the 3 point line in the corner. Over... & over... &... over... & over... It's congested. It's stale. It still works from time to time, but there is NO innovation at all. For multiple years. I bet you would not be able to find a clip of Syracuse ONE TIME getting a quick slip on an inbounds for a layup or dunk. It's not even an option, it's like the idea of creating an easy basket on an inbounds has just been given up on, never to be revisited.

But here's where it really gets crazy, & it happened again tonight. Syracuse calls a TO before inbound (which I absolutely dread for obvious reasons) & THEN JUST RUN THE SAME INBOUNDS PLAY ANYWAY. As if teams don't know it's coming? I know it's coming. YOU know it's coming... WE ALL KNOW WHAT SYRACUSE IS GOING TO TRY & DO ON AN INBOUNDS. How is that even a thing? It's stunning... but it's been going on multiple years, it just doesn't compute anymore.
My college coach is also in the HOF. He never allowed us let alone ran any baseline inbound plays to the short corner.

You must have some magic. I tried to start this thread over 35 minutes ago and I got the big...'Oooops another thread exists" ? No freaking idea. I agree. We are a living nightmare trying to inbound the ball at the end of the game. Entirely on the coaching staff. This has happened at least 3 times this year. I can not wait till this season ends and daddyball finally goes away.

Does Jim actually use a whiteboard anymore?

Jbs to blame for both inbounds errors. Im shocked he didn't learn from the first one.
Dont ever go to the corner

What happened to Buddy inbounding to a big close by, then screening off of the big to get an open shot in the corner?

That used to be really successful.
1646116860460.jpeg

JB does not focus on the smaller details of the game. It’s like being in a pickup game. “Just get open.” Even regular half court sideline plays are clusterfu**s. He doesn’t account for what other teams are doing to combat it. I don’t know if it’s lazy or just plain arrogant.

JB does not focus on the smaller details of the game. It’s like being in a pickup game. “Just get open.” Even regular half court sideline plays are clusterfu**s. He doesn’t account for what other teams are doing to combat it. I don’t know if it’s lazy or just plain arrogant.
Cut to the right at the oak tree and i'll get it to you!

I’ve always felt baseline and sideline out of bounds are a huge opportunity to get great shots and the best programs take advantage of these situations. Agree that we run the same trash over and over….it’s outrageous, egregious, preposterous.

Great point - the TO is a detriment to running our regular offense (which speaks volumes on how poor our inbounds plays are).

I feel like we've struggled to inbound the ball for 30 years.

I also hate how JB backs everyone off the lane. It seems silly to concede every single missed FT rebound. Wouldn't you want a chance to get an extra possession even by accident?

So we know that JB doesn't focus on offense, when in doubt have one of the fabulous Boeheim boys back their man down and chuck up a shot. He also doesn't focus on the less important things like inbounds plays. That leaves the defense. Well, at least our defense is good. This is why I think we need to go outside the Syracuse family for next coach, because how are the three Boeheim disciples going to do any better if they are learning from JB?

I feel like we've struggled to inbound the ball for 30 years.

I also hate how JB backs everyone off the lane. It seems silly to concede every single missed FT rebound. Wouldn't you want a chance to get an extra possession even by accident?
I feel like JB has reduced the game to a few basic truths in his mind. And, if it fails, he just has to say "we have to make shots".

I’ve always felt baseline and sideline out of bounds are a huge opportunity to get great shots and the best programs take advantage of these situations. Agree that we run the same trash over and over….it’s outrageous, egregious, preposterous.
Maybe Stan the caddie would be better drawing up a play.

I agree with the frustration and the lack of creativity with this, for sure. If I remember from the post game presser, JB said that Joe should have got it out to Cole, his contingency if he was in trouble was a TO and then Buddy in the corner for a tough shot was last resort.

I think that is how he termed it.

Not making excuses, but I believe that was his thinking and sort of implied that Joe panicked a bit.

The real problem was not the inbounds play, it was not running the O and just letting the shot clock wind down. They were going to get the ball back with enough time to run a play regardless. We should have just run our O and try to get a badly needed bucket, which if it was a three would have been a game over bucket.

Gotta play to win as opposed to just play to not lose.

Also, gotta say Joe had big kahunas on the shot that sent it to OT.

Last edited:
I agree with the frustration and the lack of creativity with this, for sure. If I remember from the post game presser, JB said that Joe should have got it out to Cole, his contingency if he was in trouble was a TO and then Buddy in the corner for a tough shot was last resort.

I think that is how he termed it.

Not making excuses, but I believe that was his thinking and sort of implied that Joe panicked a bit.
Joe should never be the in bound passer.

Joe should never be the in bound passer.

Oh, I agree with that. Especially not with four to shoot. Unless they are setting it up where the guy receiving the pass is also being used as a pick for Joe coming in from out of bounds to get the ball back to shoot, but that wasn't the case in this instance.

Having your smallest player take the ball out of bounds in that situation is just asking for trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom