The Jim Boeheim Show before Boston College II | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show before Boston College II

SWC75

Bored Historian
(There have been no articles giving details of this year’s Jim Boeheim show. I had to call into the radio station to find out that the first show will be tonight. I’ll assume there has been no changes since last year. No schedule had been posted but the show is usually on a Thursday unless there is a game or a holiday that night.)

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show will likely start out on Zoom and not be at a local restaurant. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, you said in last week’s show that guards have no impact on defending the basket. It seems to me that if you let too many people get into the paint with the ball, the center becomes like a goalie whose defense is allowing too many shots on goal. We’ve had come great defensive guards like Andy Rautins and Michael Carter-Williams out front who disrupted and blocked the other team’s attempts to get the ball in the paint so they could attack the basket. You also said that it’s not just up to the guards to keep the ball out of the paint, that the forwards have some responsibility there. Could you break down what the guards have to do and what the forwards have to do to keep the ball out of the paint?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

Jim as fired up as I’ve ever heard him for this show. I took a nap during Brent’s show in preparation for my labors tonight. I’m now listening to his interview with Jim. I’m not going to transcribe that. There is a link to it on my “My Question” post, (put there by Pat, who Jim is pretty upset with), and I think everybody should listen to it. Jim has been increasingly upset about what the fans and reporters have been saying as the season went along. The question Tuesday night about the team’s effort really got him going. He also heard something Pat said about Buddy that set him off. In the Axeman segment he referred to comments by apt about “my son”, not using his name of Buddy, suggesting he’s taking it very personally. Note: he said that he’d been accused of nepotism so he basically answered Cuserunner’s question in that interview.

Much of what he said to Axe was repeated on the coach’s show so I’ll move on to that.

Matt referred to a “locally spirited conversation” Jim had had. Jim said that it wasn’t spirited, getting the whole show off on the wrong foot. Matt wisely just let him go form there. “People can have their own opinions, even if they aren’t knowledgeable. People take one piece and think that guy should play. We’d gone away from Robert. It was good fortune that he made his first shot. Kadary has up and down plays in practice. It’s not our guards. It’s our interior defense. Our guards done better that people think.” He quoted Joe and Buddy’s steals and acknowledged that Kadary gets a lot of steals. “But it’s more than steals. It’s also covering the corners and Kadary’s still learning….In our out of the league we’ve had to battle in each game and we have. We haven’t shot or defended or rebounded as well as we’d like….There’s a myth about analytics. Offensive analytics are mis-leading. Defense can’t be measured in stats. You have to look at the tapes. There’s no way that someone looking at stats that knows who is responsible. Marek has to cover the high post and the low post. A guard gets beat because he’s helping against another shooter.”

Matt asked if anyone on the staff charts the analytics. He noted that football coaches grade every play. JB: There are gray areas where nobody is responsible in the zone. There are going to be shots whatever defense you are playing. I can tell because I’ve been here 45 years but nobody on the outside can tel. people think you are offensive efficient because of your shooting percentage but it might be all lay-ups. To say that Buddy is the worst ever statistically is nonsense. It doesn’t take into account the type of shots and the impact on the green. Marek is never evaluated correctly due to his passing and the screens he sets. Kadary’s game was not close to the second best. He got 6 points in 2 minutes and 2 the rest of the game. Allen, Marek, Quincy and Buddy all had better games. I take exception to little things I probably shouldn’t. The Great Pat said I was rude. If you want to see rude watch a White House press conference….We want to have Bourama but that’s highly unlikely.”

‘Michael from Charlotte” called in, (that’s Alsacs). He stated our in a conciliatory mode, thanking Jim for 40+ years of success but that had no effect, especially after he told JB that he “didn’t have the pulse of the fanbase” because he “pushed back” on the questions in the press conference. He asked about Jim’s comment from “a couple of years ago you said that the guards needed to be more engaged in rebounding” and also asked if Jim paid attention to the +/- stat.

JB: “It’s good for you to think that but I don’t agree. Kadary had 1 rebound. We’re playing a little different defense than we did when Tyus and frank were here. We’re pushing out more. We out-rebounded the NC State the other night. Our forwards and center all had 6-8 rebounds. We don’t determine who plays by rebounding. Joe gets us in our offense better. Our starting guards understand the rotation better.” Michael said that nobody was asking for Kadary to play 40 minutes a game. JB went on. “Analytics don’t know. We have to keep the defense spread out so Allen & Quincy have room to maneuver inside. There’s a conditioning aspect to Kadary. His conditioning is getting better. Defensive analytics don’t know rotations. Kadary has played 28 and 26 minutes in the last two games. Joe might go 1 for 8 but you don’t’ know that during the game. He could be 1 for 5 and hit his next three. Some people want Kadary to play 35-40 minutes.” (But not Alsacs!) “Some guy wants Jesse to play more but it’s not backed up by his performance in practice and in games. Kadary said that he’s worked harder here than he ever has in his life. His high school coach said that he didn’t work at all there. I’ve bene coaching guards for 45 years here.”

I called in my question. I had prepared a crack about I hope we have a team dentist with all the tooth problems we’ve had but the producer told me that whatever I said should be said quickly so I dropped that idea. I stuck to my basic question about the success we’ve had with guards at the top of the zone and what is the division of responsibility between the guards and forwards. JB: Against a good shooting team we have to extend both guards so the ball is going to get into the high post. The question is: how do you defend it when it’s there? The center had to move up and the forwards have to guard against lay-ups. We’ve adjusted a little and brought the forwards up and brought the guards back a little. Our guards are averaging 30 points a game.” Matt looked it up: 14, 11 and 7. “So it’s 32. Take at look at ACC backcourts. How many of them are scoring that much?” Not that I had cast aspersions on their offensive output. Matt: “You have to look at any position as a collective.” JB then went on to quote joe and Buddy’s ranking in steals and assists.

Matt then asked what JB’s standard was for the type of season he wants his team to have. JB: “We haven’t done as well in the league as we’d like to but made up for it in the post season.” Matt said that we are 18-8 in the NCAA tournament in the last decade. JB: “if you are talking to someone who thinks the NCAA was a fluke, it’s not going to be a successful conversation. The Final Four is not a fluke. We went through the NCAA investigation got through it and were successful. We didn’t get three home games we needed. Bourama was on the verge of a great year. He was practicing even better than he played last year. The league is too physical for Jesse. John Bol has been doing better in practice. He could help us….Pat would suggest the last guy who should be playing. Alan doesn’t know the rotations for the two guard position. Dean Smith would never let a first or second year player play two positions. He was a pretty good coach.”

Scott in Syracuse tried to make the coach feel better: “People shouldn’t question you. No other coach could have done what you’ve done. Other coaches would die for your record.” JB: “I understand that there will be differences of opinion. It’s all part of sports. People are saying Mahomes isn’t that good. I don’t like when people use false information or say something about players that isn’t true….Joe Girard is out there to run the team, not score points. Buddy has done a really good job. Kadary is good off the bench. Alan Griffin is having a tremendous year. He averaged 8 points at Illinois. Marek’s value to the team is beyond the numbers….we have probably 100-200,000 fans here in Syracuse and a million nationwide. Dave Pasch said that he grew up rooting for us in Wisconsin. There’s probably 40-50 people who think we should be playing someone else. I can live with that.”

Matt said “You’re not a ‘Coach-speak’ person”. JB: “I know I’m the one who brought theses guys here. Some guys under-achieve. Some over-achieve. Marek though he wouldn’t play until he was a junior or a senior. I’m the coach. All of that is true. There’s nothing more to say.” But he continued: “We show some guys what to do 10-15 times and they don’t get it. Others pick it up the first time. We’ve had players and coaches who were good enough. We weren’t picked to do anything even with Bourama. We usually finish better than predicted. We knew Jesse would take time. He didn’t play on the top team in IMG. We were going to redshirt him but everybody got redshirted. We were going to redshirt Robert. He has three years left. He ahs a leg problem. He ahs pain all the time. The best doctors in the country have looked at him….I’ve always wanted the players to get all the credit for the wins. I don’t need it. If we lose, that’s my responsibility.”

Josh called in to ask if Marek can shoot the three. He’d heard Wes Durham and Corey Alexander say that he could hit the three and wonder why he doesn’t shoot more. JB: Marek made some limited threes as a freshman. He had a side spin.” (?) “We improved it and he’s a better foul shooter but he hasn’t taken it back to the three point line. He’s smarter than radio announcers.”

Mark asked for an assessment of what Jerami and Carmelo are doing in the NBA. JB: “Jerami has been incredible. He’s trying to carry that team. It’s the first time he’s been the #1 guy. He was the #4 for 5 guys on his other teams. Now he’s the focus of the defense. Carmelo is moving good and being productive. He’s got a couple of years left. He’ll wind up in the all-time NBA top ten in scoring and that’s pretty good.” Matt noted that Carmelo had just passed Oscar Robertson. That is pretty good!

Matt apologized for not getting to E-mailed or texted questions, “some of which were a little more worthy”. :mad:

Then he asked about Boston College, who has been missing some players and weren’t very good to begin with. JB: “They will have everybody back for us. We are on a quest to get better as a team and that’s what we will try to do Saturday.” Matt asked about the gap in the schedule in early March- can we get Clemson for that? Is Colgate a possibility? JB: “we’ll get somebody. The Patriot League won’t let Colgate play. We need a conference game.”

I am sorry if this has been posted somewhere before. But is there a place you can listen to the replays of the show?

so basically if I followed JB - defenders and critics should stop citing analytics because they are meaningless?

yup. as he said if you dont know who makes the mistakes its hard to grade someone.

its like fball if you are in ma but one guy thinks its zone, who gets the blame for not covering someone?

if you are in the wrong spot in a zone the basket might be 5 passes away.

I am sorry if this has been posted somewhere before. But is there a place you can listen to the replays of the show?

I was unable to find a podcast. Itunes had nothing. It's very frustrating as people want to hear it after reading about it and my summaries would be easier if a podcast was there the next day.

I was unable to find a podcast. Itunes had nothing. It's very frustrating as people want to hear it after reading about it and my summaries would be easier if a podcast was there the next day.
Thank you. I agree, your summaries are awesome. I’d like to listen to the shows after. I have to say I think this is the most JB has talked about the “fans” in all of the years.

Lol takes a shot at Braswell to justify buddy. Lame. Classic.

1. We’d gone away from Robert. It was good fortune that he made his first shot.
Good fortune? Huh. Must have practiced badly and got lucky.
I hope he doesn't play again this YEAR!

2. Kadary has up and down plays in practice.
At this point I would pay some very serious money to watch Buddy and Joe practice. I can't even fathom on any level how great they must be at practicing. There has to be a limit on how great you can practice, right? Are they just practicing practice nonstop and everyone else is just practicing at practice?

3. Kadary’s game was not close to the second best. He got 6 points in 2 minutes and 2 the rest of the game.
I mean, JB has used a 2 or 3 minute spurt before, like the UNC game, to justify playing Buddy the entire second half of a game because "you can't know that he isn't going to score if he isn't in the game to score the points he isn't scoring, but may score if you let him play."

It seems like vastly different logic games are being played here and it's hurting my brain!

4. Joe gets us in our offense better.
Hot take!

5. We have to keep the defense spread out so Allen & Quincy have room to maneuver inside.
SPACING, FTW! Elite level spacing leads to elite level offense.

6. Defensive analytics don’t know rotations.
Of course they don't. I sorta agree with this, but I feel like he's just picking stats he likes WAY too often now.

7. Joe might go 1 for 8 but you don’t’ know that during the game. He could be 1 for 5 and hit his next three.
This has always been my go-to argument for why the guards can't sit. Why risk sitting guys that aren't playing well when they might get better and you miss out on that better? Too risky.

I've always said coaches get paid big money exactly for that, the fact finding component of coaching. Leaving people in the game to ensure you don't miss out on what might happen if you took them out.

This team motto ==> "We Make Shots, We Win Games" That's it. That predicates every other aspect of this team. We make shots, less rebounds for the other team. We make shots, creates better passing lanes for our "bigs" (notice lower case quotes LOL). We make shots, helps us eliminate transition baskets for the other team. We make shots we would have 3 extra wins (1st Pitt game, Rutgers and UNC). Would possible be top 25 and top 6 in the ACC. Thats without Sidibe. That's my take.

At this point I would pay some very serious money to watch Buddy and Joe practice. I can't even fathom on any level how great they must be at practicing. There has to be a limit on how great you can practice, right? Are they just practicing practice nonstop and everyone else is just practicing at practice?

3. Kadary’s game was not close to the second best. He got 6 points in 2 minutes and 2 the rest of the game.
I mean, JB has used a 2 or 3 minute spurt before, like the UNC game, to justify playing Buddy the entire second half of a game because "you can't know that he isn't going to score if he isn't in the game to score the points he isn't scoring, but may score if you let him play."

It seems like vastly different logic games are being played here and it's hurting my brain!

Hot take!

5. We have to keep the defense spread out so Allen & Quincy have room to maneuver inside.

Of course they don't. I sorta agree with this, but I feel like he's just picking stats he likes WAY too often now.

7. Joe might go 1 for 8 but you don’t’ know that during the game. He could be 1 for 5 and hit his next three.
This has always been my go-to argument for why the guards can't sit. Why risk sitting guys that aren't playing well when they might get better and you miss out on that better? Too risky.

I've always said coaches get paid big money exactly for that, the fact finding component of coaching. Leaving people in the game to ensure you don't miss out on what might happen if you took them out.

his instinting Kadary didn’t have the 2nd best game was so bizarre and troubling.

One...who cares? It’s a weird thing to get caught up on.

Two..we see posts for days talking about the CONFIDENCE. we don’t want to hurt Joe’s confidence. So he has to play. does this hurt or help Kadary’s confidence? why do certain players seem to get tough love and others get coddled? I think it’s a troubling dynamic in this program right now.

his instinting Kadary didn’t have the 2nd best game was so bizarre and troubling.

One...who cares? It’s a weird thing to get caught up on.

Two..we see posts for days talking about the CONFIDENCE. we don’t want to hurt Joe’s confidence. So he has to play. does this hurt or help Kadary’s confidence? why do certain players seem to get tough love and others get coddled? I think it’s a troubling dynamic in this program right now.
I tried to explain DBPM to him and he wouldn’t have any of it.
He thinks analytics can’t properly define our defense because he says it doesn’t account for where a defender should be in the zone.

I tried to get a comment in while he was going thru his take but couldn’t. He said we are playing a different zone from 2 years ago.
I don’t see it much different except when in the first half of the first NC State game it appeared like we were playing a 4-1 zone.

He really defends just Joe and Buddy.

Which if he understood the frustration and didn’t just try to make strawman arguments would be a fair debate.

They play too much and because they are expected to do more we have struggled when they have played poorly.

JB thinks we need Buddy and Joe on the court for Marek and Quincy to be effective.
I wanted to stay again I couldn’t get in then why does Buddy lead the team in shots.
That isn’t helping Quincy.

He would probably make a rational counter.

JB knows how to politic he is an effective speaker. It may not be what the fanbase thinks but he knows how to debate.

He thinks analytics can’t properly define our defense because he says it doesn’t account for where a defender should be in the zone.

I tried to get a comment in while he was going thru his take but couldn’t. He said we are playing a different zone from 2 years ago.
I don’t see it much different except when in the first half of the first NC State game it appeared like we were playing a 4-1 zone.

Which if he understood the frustration and didn’t just try to make strawman arguments would be a fair debate.

They play too much and because they are expected to do more we have struggled when they have played poorly.

JB thinks we need Buddy and Joe on the court for Marek and Quincy to be effective.
I wanted to stay again I couldn’t get in then why does Buddy lead the team in shots.

JB knows how to politic he is an effective speaker. It may not be what the fanbase thinks but he knows how to debate.

Indeed. He'd fit right in with many politicians, especially with his masterful deflection skills/prowess.

JB’s comment about there being gray areas in the zone was interesting.

I could be wrong, but I remember him saying the opposite in the past. I think there was a game back in day when he named a player who was responsible for allowing 5 3 pointers.

(I have a feeling the center of the gray area is where Budweiser is standing and it extends out about 20 feet in every direction.)

This is where JB’s lack of tech knowledge comes back to bite him. He probably doesn’t know that fans can watch zone clinics he has given on YouTube. You can watch those to get a basic idea of responsibilities. Then you can head over to kenpom.com or barttorvik.com and get a pretty good scouting report of opponents and figure out how the zone might be tweaked from game to game.

Then if you pay close attention to games, you can figure out who is screwing up by seeing who receives JB’s death stare after a breakdown on D, or who gets mother bleeped by JB at the start of a timeout.

This team motto ==> "We Make Shots, We Win Games" That's it. That predicates every other aspect of this team. We make shots, less rebounds for the other team. We make shots, creates better passing lanes for our "bigs" (notice lower case quotes LOL). We make shots, helps us eliminate transition baskets for the other team. We make shots we would have 3 extra wins (1st Pitt game, Rutgers and UNC). Would possible be top 25 and top 6 in the ACC. Thats without Sidibe. That's my take.

That's kinda what Naismith had in mind.

"He really defends just Joe and Buddy."

That's who we criticize.

we have probably 100-200,000 fans here in Syracuse and a million nationwide... There’s probably 40-50 people who think we should be playing someone else. I can live with that.”
O-Kaaaaaaaaay.

Hot take!

JBs always been full of baloney.

"He really defends just Joe and Buddy."

That's who we criticize.
I don’t have an agenda in whom I criticize.
JB hurts them by how he argues to defend them.
I mean we don’t have any guard commitments.

Buddy plays 90% of the game. He isn’t a good enough player to justify that. I am sorry but that in itself deserves criticism.
We aren’t good enough to rely on these players like he plays them.
I keep the personal stuff out.

Kadary probably is coached to take it easy against Buddy and Joe in practice otherwise I doubt they'd score a single bucket against him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom