The Jim Boeheim Show - before Colgate | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach in the past you’ve typically used about 10 scholarships on recruited players. You’ve said that you don’t want guys who expected to play sitting on the end of your bench and unhappy about it. This year you’ve got 12 such players and would have had 13 if Oshea hadn’t left. They are all underclassmen and yet you are recruiting more players for next year. Did you make a decision that, with so many guys leaving early, you wanted their replacements to already be on the team and learning your system so you might as well use all your scholarships?”

Second Hour:

“Coach, I Iooked at the high school highlight clips of our three centers, Bourama Sidibie, Jesse Edwards and John Bol Ajak. Bourama’s tape showed that, when healthy, he has all the abilities you’d want from a center: blocking shots, rebounding, running the court, driving to the basket, posting up, hitting short jumpers. With Edwards and Bol Ajak, I saw no defensive highlights. Both of them have said in interviews that they consider themselves to be non-traditional centers with diverse skills. I think you are kind of a traditionalist regarding centers: you want defense and rebounding. Do Jesse and John have the talent in those areas that you want in your centers?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

This was just an hour show- no Gomez segment yet. (That normally begins with the new year). Jim was not happy about people’s reaction to the Virginia game. “We haven’t beaten Virginia five years”, (well, not since 2/4/17 when we beat then 66-62 in the Dome). Last year we had Tyus Battle, a G league player, (he who shall not be named), at forward and Elijah Hughes and we got beat by 100. This is their best defensive team. We held them to 48 points and forced 16 turnovers. That’s not bad. You don’t measure yourself against Virginia. You have to look at the first 10-12 games. Then you can tell where we are going. We have potential but an unbelievable amount of work to do. The world isn’t ending.”

Later, when I called in my first question, (there was no opportunity for the second one), I prefaced my question by adding another point to Jim’s analysis of the Virginia game: people have been complaining that Virginia is rebuilding to: why are they so far ahead of us to begin the season? I pointed out that their perimeter game was as unproductive as ours. The Cavs won the game inside, led by Diakite, a senior and Huff, a junior. Diakite is an NBA player. Jim’s response to that was broken up by a technical glitch.

Jim said the NIT teams coming up “are all improved and potential NCAA teams. Iowa slipped up but they will be good. Colgate is an NCAA team. Pitt beat Florida State who beat Florida. There will be ups and downs.“ Matt Park pointed out that the NIT gives us some opponents we would not normally be playing. JB: ”You never know who you will get.” (It’s a box of chocolates.) “We will find out what we really have. We had a bad start last year without Frank. There are more moving parts here.”

That’s when I called in my question. Jim said that my thought that he wanted the players already on the team that would have to replace unexpected departures so they could learn the system and be ready when the departures occurred was “100% right. You have to protect the program. We didn’t know if Howard Washington could play so we recruited two guards. There was one guy we thought might leave but he didn’t. We’re going to have some unhappy players and transfers but you have to have guys ready to replace guys. You’ve got to anticipate. Guys leave. We didn’t offer Kevin Huerter because we were afraid with our scholarship limitations there wouldn’t be one for him. We actually wound up with three available scholarships.”

He then talked about a favorite subject and a frequent criticism. “We see these guys practice for two hours a day. We think we know what we are doing here. Fans think they know who should play. Guys play based on what they did in the summer and in practice. Some cases are close. Joe Girard or Brycen Goodine could each come in and make 3-4 threes. The players determine who plays. It’s who steps up. I look at the box scores and it’s rare to see a game in which more than 7 players play very much.” I was still on and recalled the 1996 national championship game in which Rick Pitino had 9 future NBA players at his disposal – and 7 guys played 192 of the available 200 minutes. “It’s rare to play more than 7 guys in a tough game. You might play more in some, especially if players aren’t that good. We have 2 centers, two guards and a 1 forward so that’s at least 9 guys, (or maybe 10). I didn’t want to play Marek at center but we weren’t getting anything.”

“We got more good shots than most do against Virginia. We had 8-10 we could have made but didn’t. We didn’t do a good job on the boards. Bourama’s been here for two years. He has shown flashes. (Somewhere G-Rob is smiling.) Jesse’s going to be good. It takes time. Baye, Onuaku, Andy Rautins – we’ve had 20 players who weren’t ready as freshman but turned out to be good players.” Matt suggested that going to prep schools like IMG (Edwards ) and West Town (Bol Ajak), is helpful. JB: “it helps but Jesse didn’t even play on the top team at IMG. He was only there for 6 months. He’s put on 15-20 pounds since then. We develop players. We get them to work hard and get better….Quincy is still learning. He’s used to being on the perimeter and shooting threes. He’s learning to play defense- any type of defense, man-to-man or zone.” ”

Colgate has 6-10 Rapolas Ivanauskas (15.9p/7.8r), 6-8 Will Rayman at forward (13.1p/6.5r) and 6-0 Jordan Burns (16.3p) who hit 8 three pointers vs. 2 seeded Tennessee in last year’s NCAA tournament for a total of 32 points, a game Colgate lost by only 7 points. “They have a good backcourt and a small forward. They are good and solid at every positon. They have good speed and quickness and veteran players. Every play will be important.” Matt noted that Colgate is in a “one bid conference” and must not only win the regular season but also the conference tournament to get back to the NCAAs. He wondered if Jim’s early career when SU was in the ECAC playoffs, was a similar situation. Jim: “The ECAC was one bid but we had a great team. We lost one year but got in anyway. You can be the 4th, 5th, 6th best team in a power conference and still be better than the best team in the lower conferences.”

The trivia question was this: Colgate went to the NCAA tournament for the first time in a long time last year. Who was their leading scorer the last time before that that they went to the tournament.

Jim said that Seattle “has guys who can run and shoot. I’ll be paying more attention to them after the Colgate game.” Matt asked what defensive principles Jim was teaching in practice in preparation for the upcoming games. “To get better, prepare for anything they may throw at it. Offensively, it’s execution.” Are 29 three point attempts too many? Jim wasn’t concerned. “They don’t let you get to the basket. That’s why they are so good. “

Jay in Burlington called in to say “We’re used to a higher shooting percentage. How do we bring that up? We used to run and shoot more.” JB: “Virginia holds everybody to 20 points lower than they normally shoot. We missed some we could have made. Thanks Jay.” He added “We moved the ball well, especially with Marek in there. But we got nothing even when we moved it.”

Matt asked if the construction on the Dome had caused problems. JB: “We get into the Dome enough. Other teams can use it if there isn’t an event there. If there is they can used the Melo Center. We just have to get through it. We’ll have a better lighting and sound system. We also won have to worry about canceling anything when it snows, (referring to the rare occasions when they had to deflate the roof). The toughest job in Syracuse is climbing up onto that roof to clear the snow from it.”

The women are playing the University of Oregon, who defeated our Olympic team, which was full of WNBA players.“ Jim said it will be a difficult game for the Orangewomen – and suggested that the Olympic team might be a bit old and that they needed Breanna Stewart.

Nate, an 8 year old from Manlius, asked which game the Coach most wanted to win this year. That was an easy one. “The next one, Nate.”

Thanks if JB thinks we got good shots against UVA I really don’t know what he is talking about.
They didn’t give us good shots we were chucking up bad shots all game long.
If UVA holds teams to 20 points below there average does that mean he expects to average 54 PPG in conference play? We only scored 34 points.
Don’t like the defensive nature this transcript reads like from JB.

Thanks if JB thinks we got good shots against UVA I really don’t know what he is talking about.
They didn’t give us good shots we were chucking up bad shots all game long.
If UVA holds teams to 20 points below there average does that mean he expects to average 54 PPG in conference play? We only scored 34 points.
Don’t like the defensive nature this transcript reads like from JB.

you are misquoting him. He said we got 8-10 good shots.

I don't understand why you don't measure yourself against UVA? Are we not suppose to beat them just because we haven't since 2017?

you are misquoting him. He said we got 8-10 good shots.
He said we got 8-10 more good shots against UVA than most do.
That’s garbage. Other teams move the ball. I watched a little of James Madison-UVa they were getting better shots than we did.
UVA smothers drives and ball screens.
We didn’t get 8-10 better shots than most do as we didn’t get offensive rebounds.

The fact JB is basically saying Virginia games shouldn’t alarm people because we have bad history against them. This was a completely new Virginia team. Sorry but reading this transcript JB is too defensive.
Nobody is expecting anything major from this team this year. All I wanted was a watchable product. If we white knuckle games again ugh.

That’s garbage. Other teams move the ball. I watched a little of James Madison-UVa they were getting better shots than we did.
We didn’t get 8-10 better shots than most do as we didn’t get offensive rebounds.

The fact JB is basically saying Virginia games shouldn’t alarm people because we have bad history against them. This was a completely new Virginia team. Sorry but reading this transcript JB is too defensive.
Nobody is expecting anything major from this team this year. All I wanted was a watchable product. If we white knuckle games again ugh.

that’s not what you said in the post I replied to.

that’s not what you said in the post I replied to.
If JB thinks we got 8-10 more good shots against UVA than most other teams then he is implying we got shots.
8-10 more is a lot as we lost by 12 he is saying if we hit these supposed good shots it’s a different game.
This is defensive spin by him after the fact.
Our offense was locked down the entire game.

The fans including myself lack patience because of the crap basketball we have watched since 2014. If we had won 25 games last year people wouldn’t be as pissy about the Virginia loss. Start winning games against good teams and you can make excuses when you slip up here and there.

UVAs defense is exceptional. Their lower body positioning and footwork is text book. TB is a great coach of his D as JB is of the Zone. The difference in this game was their inside presence.
Colgate will be a good indicator of who we really are. I watched Gate and they have a solid team. Cuse will beat them, my guess is by a dozen. What i hope to see is a commitment to pushing the ball inside with the pass vs the dribble. With the exception of Carey we dont have players who can consistently beat guys off the dribble which is needed if you want to play ISO.
What we do have are guys who can shoot well. If we screen and cut well, basically move and swing the ball guys should get good looks.

UVAs defense is exceptional. Their lower body positioning and footwork is text book. TB is a great coach of his D as JB is of the Zone. The difference in this game was their inside presence.
Colgate will be a good indicator of who we really are. I watched Gate and they have a solid team. Cuse will beat them, my guess is by a dozen. What i hope to see is a commitment to pushing the ball inside with the pass vs the dribble. With the exception of Carey we dont have players who can consistently beat guys off the dribble which is needed if you want to play ISO.
What we do have are guys who can shoot well. If we screen and cut well, basically move and swing the ball guys should get good looks.
Your last sentence should have the IF in bold. Our success hinges on ball movement and sadly IMHO that is usually determined by the D played by the opponent and not dictated by our scheme.

If JB thinks we got 8-10 more good shots against UVA than most other teams then he is implying we got shots.
8-10 more is a lot as we lost by 12 he is saying if we hit these supposed good shots it’s a different game.
This is defensive spin by him after the fact.
Our offense was locked down the entire game.
I still think you're misquoting or misunderstanding him. According to the rough transcript posted by SWC75, JB said that we got more good shots against UVA than most do, and then he went on to say that we had 8-10 shots that we could have made, but didn't. I do not believe he intended to put those two statements together in reverse order to convey that "we got 8-10 more good shots against UVA than most other teams", as you've indicated.

Our offense was indeed locked down the entire game, I think everybody who watched the game - JB included - would agree with that.

I actually caught about 10 or 15 minutes of this as my Sirius was acting up. Haven't listned to a coaches show in forever so I was surprised how open JB was. What he said was that we got some good shots about 8-10 that we are fully capable of making but just didn't make them.

He also went into a long explanation on why he doesn't play the bench more, essentially saying most teams don't play beyond 7 or 8 and that he checked the box scores of 20 games this past weekend and all of them only played significant minutes to about 7 guys. Noted that we have the personnel to play up to 9 this year and said people calling for players to play who don't normally don't watch practice and that if they were good enough to play they would. He also noted that SU over recruited a bit this year as they were worried about Washington being out due to injury and that they strongly expected someone to leave who didn't ( pretty sure he was referencing Carey). He also called out Sidibe by name and noted that they need more from him after only showing flashes in 2 years and that the frosh centers have shown promise but aren't ready.

He also confirmed that they didn't recruit Huerter a few years ago because they didn't think they would have an open schollie and ended having 3 that year so they wanted to be sure they filled their allotment to not get caught short handed.

Did JB seriously refer to Oshae as "a G League player," or is that a board meme that is unfamiliar to me?

I actually caught about 10 or 15 minutes of this as my Sirius was acting up. Haven't listned to a coaches show in forever so I was surprised how open JB was. What he said was that we got some good shots about 8-10 that we are fully capable of making but just didn't make them.

He also went into a long explanation on why he doesn't play the bench more, essentially saying most teams don't play beyond 7 or 8 and that he checked the box scores of 20 games this past weekend and all of them only played significant minutes to about 7 guys. Noted that we have the personnel to play up to 9 this year and said people calling for players to play who don't normally don't watch practice and that if they were good enough to play they would. He also noted that SU over recruited a bit this year as they were worried about Washington being out due to injury and that they strongly expected someone to leave who didn't ( pretty sure he was referencing Carey). He also called out Sidibe by name and noted that they need more from him after only showing flashes in 2 years and that the frosh centers have shown promise but aren't ready.

He also confirmed that they didn't recruit Huerter a few years ago because they didn't think they would have an open schollie and ended having 3 that year so they wanted to be sure they filled their allotment to not get caught short handed.

Ok so it wasn't just my Sirius that was acting up in my truck last night. Must have been the weather.

Two points:

1.) This is not a transcript. It's SWC's reconstruction of the show as he heard it. There is a disclaimer at the beginning of the post.
2.) Transcripts do not reflect in a totally accurate manner what was said or meant--they lack tone, nuance, pauses, etc. which one can only get by hearing the discussion first-hand.

I still think you're misquoting or misunderstanding him. According to the rough transcript posted by SWC75, JB said that we got more good shots against UVA than most do, and then he went on to say that we had 8-10 shots that we could have made, but didn't. I do not believe he intended to put those two statements together in reverse order to convey that "we got 8-10 more good shots against UVA than most other teams", as you've indicated.

Our offense was indeed locked down the entire game, I think everybody who watched the game - JB included - would agree with that.

I double checked my notes. They read "More good shots than most...Had 8-10 we could make but didn't..." So he didn't say that we had 8-10 more good shots than most. We had 8-10 relatively open shots, which is more than most teams get against them. (Other teams might get 6-8, etc.)

It appears you're right. I had thought he meant Frank, but I stand corrected. No love lost there.

Its a local radio show and probably will never be spoken about again but if JB has something to say he'll say it. No recruit will ever hear about some of the comments JB makes but no matter how true the comments are they come off as sour grapes.

(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.
sounds A LOT like the ukraine phone "transcript"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom