The Jim Boeheim Show - before Colgate | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

The early shows tend to be in a one hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. If they go back to the 2 hour format, I may split it up between the items directly related to the team, which I will post that night and the other stuff, which I will post the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, there were some offensive fouls called against Syracuse on players who didn’t have the ball, which seemed unusual. The NCAA often opens the season with either a change in a rule, a different interpretation of a rule or a different emphasis on a rule. Did they announce anything like that this year and how long does that sort of thing last before the referees go back to calling game the way they normally do?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

Coach was a little late on his birthday and Matt played the comments he made to Matt immediately after the same on Sunday. “In the first half we let them shoot but we learned our lesson. I like their team. Drexel is solid in all areas.”

Then the coach showed up joking “You’re not supposed to have to work on your birthday.” Carrabba's had made some special birthday cupcakes for him. When I later called in my question I joked that people used to complain about SU’s early schedule being full of cupcakes but this year the only cupcakes are the ones Carrabba's gave him. I paused for laughter which did not come.

Jim told Matt, “We’re trying to get better in all areas. Early in the year, you don’t concentrate on specific areas. We’ve still got a lot of things to figure out. We do some things well but there are others we can get better at.” Matt noted that both Drexel and Colgate had been in the NCAA tournament last year and “and them comes the big boys.”.

Later they were discussing the trip to the Bahamas and that phrase about figuring things out came up again. Matt had listed the teams competing in the tournament but erroneously placed Gonzaga there. Jim corrected him and said he’d left out Loyola of Chicago who “will be close to as good as they were last year. There will be probably 6 NCAA teams there, as there were the last time we were there.” Matt: “How do you win there: what’s the secret sauce? You’ve got to play well for three games in a row. You can’t just be figuring things out.” The team will be leaving for the Bahamas on Monday. So they’ve got to have things figured out by then.

I called in my question but the radio feed was weak coming through the phone so I may have missed part of the response, (you cannot have your radio on while on the phone with the show due to the built-in delay which is used to allow them to deal with a caller who is misbehaving). I had said that I wasn’t questioning the correctness of the calls. Coach Boeheim didn’t feel so constrained and complained that “one guy ran into the screen. One guy just fell down. They were telling their players to run into the screen. When they want to emphasize illegal screens so they are calling everything. (He didn’t address how long that emphasis will likely last.) They want a dead stop.” Matt said that would “ruin the momentum the play is designed to have…Are coaches in a grey area?” JB: “Everybody screens. If you if you just move into the screen and fall down, you get the call. It shouldn’t be considered a turnover when there’s a foul. We were charged with 11 turnovers but it should have been just 7 or 8.”

Matt again brought up Felisha Legette’s number being retired and JB again said that she was “a great player, a hard worker. Her number should have been up there for a while.”

Matt has done some research on Joe Girard’s season opening streak of making 8 three pointers without a miss. He’s checked back as far as 12 years and found no one who can match it. JB: “He’s getting great shots he’s well balanced. He’s moving the ball around and getting it to people where they need to be. He can shoot so they have to guard him and that opens things up for other people. We have balance and can overcome someone having a bad night.”

Colgate no longer has Jordan Burns, their star player of last year “but everybody else is back. They have veteran guys who have been in the tournament. Cornell played really well and are 3-0. You have to go out and play well to beat these teams. In the first half against Drexel we didn’t cover and missed open shots. The screening situations hurt us as well. We got 43 points in the second half despite scoring nothing at the end.” [We didn’t score in the last 2:06] “We got our hands on a lot of balls at halfcourt. We must have gotten at least ten deflections. They are a good ball-handling team. Without the steals it could have been a close game.” Matt noted that Drexel had two pre-season All Conference selections. He also observed that both Lafayette’s and Drexel’s big men seemed “out of their element at this level”. Jim dismissed that thought, saying “They wanted them to pass. Those guys can score.”

The Colgate game will begin at 5PM Saturday in the Dome. In the meanwhile, the football team’s game with NC State in Raleigh will begin at 4PM. The radio broadcast of the football game will be on the local station TK99, (99.5 FM). The basketball game will be on 97.7. The football game will be televised on the ACC network, (channel 388 on Spectrum cable). The basketball game will be on “ACC Network Extra”, streaming video you can get through ESPN.

Took questions from the restaurant. The first two were about shooting. One wanted to know who the best shooters Jim has coached, the current team and coaching staff excepted. He mentioned Andy Rautins and Preston Shumpert, saying they “were good under pressure and made some big shots. ”Matt Roe was really good. We’ve never really shot the lights out. Our best guys have shot 38% and not 45% from three.” Matt noted that Roe and Greg Monroe, who have the top percentages from three in SU history, were from the early days of the arc when fewer threes were attempted. Another question was “what was Jim’s best shooting team.” Matt suggested it would be this one. Jim laughed and said that “they are in practice. We’ll have to see about the games.”

Matt, anticipating the trip to the Bahamas, asked what the most interesting place Jim’s career in basketball had taken him. Jim said that it’s mostly the Olympics, which has taken him all over Asia, Europe and South America. He’s also accompanied Big East all-star teams to Italy and Yugoslavia. “there’s a lot of stickers on my passport.”

Matt said that there will be 30-40 teams going to the Bahamas for various events. Jim said “they are very friendly there and do a good job of putting on the events. It’s a great venue.”

Josh in Boulder wanted to know if having two sons on the team aids in communication. JB: “I approach them the same as the other players. There’s no different insight. You get to know how they play in practice. The fact that they grew up together in my house doesn’t mean that they know where they are going to be on the court.” Matt said “You’ve seen them play since the 7th grade.” JB: “That’s irrelevant. It's about how they are playing now, which may be different from last year or even the last game. Cornell had a completely different system. Guys do different things and change in certain areas. It changes your thinking.”

They discussed players who have transferred from SU, and not just the recent ones. Matt brought up Richard Manning, Keith Hughes and Glen Sekunda as examples of transfers who had done well at their new schools. Jim jumped on that saying that they were playing behind Billy Owens and Derrick Coleman. Keith had a really good career at Rutgers and Richard and Glenn played well at Washington and Penn State. We had 15 scholarships back then. That’s where the portal is good. Even smaller schools have picked up guys. With 1,700 transfers some are not going to work out. Woody Newton was going o be a contributor here but now he’s the 10th man on his team. Kadary Richmond and Quincy Guerrier are both good players and would have bene good here. They aren’t playing more minutes with their new schools than they were playing here. Jalen Carey is playing more but Brycen Goodine isn’t – yet. Hopefully those things will work out.” Matt said that Richard Manning’s son matt manning was a baseball pitcher:
Matt Manning Stats, Fantasy & News
JB; “Richard was a good player here. But we had a lot of answers in those days.”

Matt asked if Coach was concerned about ‘conference strength’ in light of some of the early results. (Florida State just got clobbered by Florida, Virginia has lost two games, Duke had a close call with Campbell, etc.) JB: “I don’t think about it. There’s nothing you can do about it. Duke, North Carolina and Florida State will have top teams. Virginia will be coming back. Notre dame will be pretty good. We’ll be right there. There will be 7-8 good teams and a couple more on the edge.” Jim said that his goal is to “get off to a good start then get better.”

“Villanova had UCLA the whole way but they were playing an 11:30 game on the west coast.”

The Pistons and the Pacers were playing on TV. That meant that Jerami Grant and Oshae Brissett were facing each other – if Oshae could get on the court. “He’s not playing much. He was starting but had a couple of bad games. Then he wasn’t starting and now he’s not playing. He’s no longer part of their rotaito0n. That can happen in the NBA.”

As to the football team, “Louisville didn’t have a great record but they were a good team. North Carolina State and Pittsburgh are better than Clemson. It’s a tough finish.”

Matt said that 40% of SU’s starting line-up had showed up for dinner at Carrabba’s. Jim added “And the Boss.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom