The Jim Boeheim Show - before Cornell | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Cornell

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: Americu Jim Boeheim Show Starts Nov. 9 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or https://twitter.com/hashtag/AskBoeheim?src=hashtag_click

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segment the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

For the Matt Park Segment:

“Coach, I hope your players, when watching the soccer team win the national title, said to themselves, “If we listen to Coach Boeheim and do what he says, that could be us!” How hard was it to conduct a basketball game while another SU team was playing for the national title and did that account in any way for our poor first half in that game?”

For the Gomez segment:

“Coach, I’ve got to ask you this as there is no Dino Babers Show. The football team just lost a two year All ACC team starter to the portal but gained 4-star transfers from Alabama and Nebraska. This started a debate on our forum about whether the portal will work to the disadvantage or to the advantage of schools like Syracuse. We can lose star players but we can also get highly-rated guys from strong programs who weren’t able to crack the starting line-up there. Will Syracuse get better or get worse in this environment? What will it do to the balance of power in college sports?”

(For the third segment on Twitch I’ll improvise a question or two after listening to the rest of the show.)

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Tonight I’m going to stick to the comments related to my questions and the SU basketball team. I’ll do a follow-up tomorrow on other subjects that came up.

Tonight’s show had some technical glitches with the phone system, (possibly due to the snow storm – if it isn’t do to having “trainees” on the job as they told me earlier this year), and I didn’t get to actually ask either question – but they got answered anyway, the first because I sent it in ahead of time through Cuse.com, the second because I asked it – and another – on Twitch.

Q1, (about the impact of watching the soccer team win the national title) “We had it on before the game but once the game started, we concentrated on basketball. I don’t think the players even looked at it. They weren’t thinking about the soccer game. Monmouth shot extremely well and we didn’t defend very well. It was great to see the soccer team win the national title. That’s hard to do. It’s a great accomplishment. I watched the ACC tournament. You have to win 5 games to win the national championship. I don’t think home field makes much difference in that sport. The field is so big and the officials don’t have much control…I heard a roar. If I’d been a fan, I’d have gone over and watched the soccer game, too, instead of watching us the way we were playing….it’s crazy to decide a championship on penalty shots. It’s like deciding a basketball game on foul shots (#free throws matter!) or baseball games with a home run derby.” [Isn’t that what baseball is now?] “Soccer requires so much running that in overtime, coaches tend to get conservative. Maybe they should do what hockey did and start taking players off. [Or allow fast breaks would allow for one-on-ones with the goalie in the flow of the game.]

Matt noted that they relied on transfers to build that team, which anticipated my second question. JB: “College sports – that’s the world we’re in. It's not going to change. Getting juniors and seniors with 3 years of training. Most kids can’t play football as freshmen. 7-8 transfers can change your team. Basketball teams can be all transfers. Georgetown’s entire starting line-up is transfers. At the end of the year you have to remake your team every year. In the old days, 6 freshmen meant you didn’t worry about recruiting for 2 years. We have 12 guys, a large number for us. But that’s because guys can leave. All 12 guys could come back, [due to Covid for the seniors]. We could lose 5-6 guys. [Heck, we could lose 12 guys.] A couple of freshmen wouldn’t change much. To replace who we lose, we’d want juniors and seniors who can play. Last year UNC won because of an Oklahoma transfer.” But “It’s still best to recruit them and teach our system. Jesse and Joe have been with us. Benny is coming along. Great players don’t transfer but some good ones do. Transfers could be from a lower level. And those teams could get a player from a level below them. It’s crazy. I don’t see it but it’s where we are at. We just have to adjust to it and do the best we can.”

Later, I asked me second question, (about where Syracuse will stand in this) on Twitch. “You can’t really tell. You’d have to wait until the whole thing is over. I’ve heard rumors that 1-2 guys (in the portal) might come back. You can come back the next day. Each sport has a window to use the portal. You can still leave after the portal closes but then you’d have to sit out a year. Freshmen can’t help at this level [in football] unless they’re great. Guys who go to Alabama are top recruits and they practice and play against top recruits. 6-8 guys can make a huge difference. Kansas and USC got a bunch of transfers, and both had great seasons [at least their best in several years]. Kansas State used to rely on junior college transfers. Now they can get major college transfers. The new transfer rule will work for everybody. Even Alabama is bringing in guys. They are more physically ready players. Most teams will get 8 or more guys from the portal.

I got one more question in on twitch: Did the emotions displayed at the Ring of Honor ceremony mean that JB has already decided this will be last year. “No. They’d just shown the tribute to the Pearl and I thinking about him. It was nothing about my future plans. You don’t have a plan. You have a 1 year plan. When a guy leaves, you replace him. Years ago we had a plan but that didn’t work out. Pearl played here 3 years and leaving early was rare then. It was a different game, a different era. What he did on the court entertained people. Google Pearl.” OK

Dwayne 'Pearl' Washington Highlights - Syracuse University Basketball

That at least had the BC half-court shot, which JB said was the biggest noise he’d ever heard in the Dome but he was disappointed the highlight film shown at the ceremony lacked it lacked it.

Remembering Dwayne “Pearl” Washington as he enters Syracuse Ring of Honor

Gomez later recalled that when GMAC played his last name, they set off balloons saying “Thank you, JMAC!” I believe it.

On Cornell: “This is the best Cornell team I’ve seen. They have a lot of guys who can really handle the ball and shoot it. 6-8 guys play outside and can shoot the 3.” [If Cornell has 6-8 guys out there, I think JB should complain to the refs.] It’s really worked well. They had BC beat with a 6 point lead and only lost to Miami by 2. They could be 9-0. They really push the ball up court. They probably play faster than any team in the country. Their game against Miami was crazy. Coach Brian Earl’s brother [Dan] used to play this way at VMI. Brian used to be a half court coach using the Princeton system. Now he’s pressuring full court with full and half court traps, double-teams and a match up zone.” Matt Park suggested that Cornell “has a height problem – and there is no answer for Jesse.” JB: “They’ll just get back in and swarm them. They just run and throw up shots. We scored OK on Monmouth but our defense is terrible.” [Expect a high-scoring game where individual players get NBA-style numbers but that doesn’t mean we’ll win.] Later Gomez asked Jim about Grinnell, where they had a game where they took 111 shots, all three pointers. “I’d like to try that someday, although it might get me fired.” I look forward to it.

Josh in Boulder asked about Benny Williams’ progress. “He’s shooting better and can use his athletic ability on defense, blocking shots and making plays. He had three offensive rebounds in practice today. That was quite a moment to watch. If a player can’t do something I won’t criticize him for it.” [But if he can and isn’t, he’s fair game.]

Gomez asked JB if, based on his new conference statements, he was planning on changing the starting line-up. “I never said I would change the line-up. I’m unhappy with some of the things we’re doing. We’re playing a lot of people.

Jim doesn’t think that Joe Girard flops. “On a couple plays there was contact there.” [There often is. I think a lot of times players flop not to get a call when there was no contact but rather to make sure contact that occurred – but didn’t necessarily both them that much – can’t be ignored.] They are going o 50-50 that call. There are some obvious ones.” Matt said that “you can’t not see it in these games.”

“The better Jesse plays and Joe shoots they, [defenders] won’t come off of them. That opens it up for Judah to drive to the basket – or get to the line.”

Someone bemoaned the lack of bank shots in basketball these days, contrasting that to the way Tim Duncan shot the ball. JB, [and I] remember when Sam Jones of the Celtics was making banks shots from 20 feet away. I suggested on Twitch that Symir Torrance made a couple last year. Jim throught a obut it and recalled that “they came from about 6 feet.” [I like them because no one will bother to block when seems like an inaccurate shot.] Joe Girard and Judah Mintz were praised for bringing back the alley-oop. Jim said that Shemran Douglas was the best he’d ever seen at that. I recalled, (on Twitch) that Bill Packer insisted tit was offensive goaltending but Jim said that the ball has to be in the cylinder for that call.

John Bol Ajak had a strong game against Georgetown. “He was good. He made some plays for us. We were down 11 early. You have to hope you can make it close by halftime but we were up 11 at the half. They had a key guy get into foul trouble. They gave Texas Tech trouble….No coach likes it but we need time. Young players have good games, then can have a setback. If you let people shoot in college, they will make shots. You have to get the players to play at ahigh level in practice so they will play at a high level in games. Until you play at a high level in every game, you aren’t the team you should be.”

Gomez noted that “players don’t huddle up on the court like they used to. Does that make any difference.” JB: “No.”

They had full practices this week, just not at the normal times, due to holidays and exams.

Orange Nation for four years had a “My Buddy” doll on their set in honor of Buddy Boeheim. When Syracuse lost 3 games in a row, Paulie Sibilia decided to burn My Buddy in his backyard barbeque pit to ‘remove the curse’’. It worked! We’re 4-0 since then. Gomez reported this information to JB, who wan’t impressed. “Maybe we could burn Paulie and win the whole thing.” A few minutes later, Gomez reported that #burnPaulie was going viral on Twitter.

More tomorrow.

I love to read these. JB seems a LOT more down to earth than when he’s doing the post game pressers. It’s nice to see another side of him.
I really don’t think we’ll get JB’s retirement until after the seasons over. He obviously wants zero fanfare or adulation. It’s a bummer because he deserves it.

"You don’t have a plan. You have a 1 year plan. When a guy leaves, you replace him. Years ago we had a plan but that didn’t work out."

liam neeson i love when a plan comes together GIF

On Cornell: “This is the best Cornell team I’ve seen.

Reminder for JB: Cornell was a 12 seed and went to the Sweet 16 in 2010.

If this team is the best he's ever seen, better start placing some future bets

PART 2

The new President of the NCAA is Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker. “Just what we needed: a politician.” [That may have been the point:
A governor gets the controls to the NCAA's delicate politics game ]
“I just don’t think it matters. The power will continue to go to the conferences and committees. The NCAA is good at running tournaments and that’s what they should do. Enforcement has faded away. It’s not relevant anymore. You can’t take a player out to a restaurant, but he gets $100,000 NIL. Academics are up to the schools. Major changes have come. We are now in a period of adjustment. Enforcement took years to get nowhere.” How about Jay Bilas as NCAA president? “He thinks he is. He can’t do anything about the transfer portal or NIL. Let compliance go to the conferences. Run tournaments - it’s what you’re good at.”

On bowl games and the players who opt out: “The only ones that matter are the championship games. The others are irrelevant. There’s not enough money to go around.”

Coach Boeheim never met Mike Leach but he admired him. “He got a horrible deal at Texas tech. He was an innovative guy with the passing attack. He was an eccentric, like some coaches are…. He was a smart guy, a lawyer. It’s sad to lose anyone in their prime.”

On baseball money: “Some players are making $30 million a year and can’t even play”. The Yankees got another pitcher, Carlos Rodon, for $160 million. “What difference does it make? They can’t spend the money they are making. They had to get Judge. They couldn’t show up without him. Even if he’d had a bad year, he would have gotten $250 million. But Houston got better again. They will be really tough.” Gomez pointed out that 12/15/80 is the anniversary of the Dave Winfield contract. He got $15 million – for 10 years. It seemed ridiculous at the time.

Going around the ACC: NC State beat Furman. North Carolina played the Citadel for the first time in years and ended their losing streak. Clemson beat USC Upstate. App State was up by 1 with 2 seconds left to Wake Forest and lost, on a botched inbounds play and a buzzer shot, (JB chuckled at that – it happened to us last year). Louisville family won a game – over Western Kentucky. “Pitt is good this year, a really improved team with transfers who are playing at a really high level.”

Will Connecticut go undefeated in the Big East? “They have two big guys, four guards, some really good forwards. They have a Virginia tech transfer, Nahiem Alleyne, who had been a good player for them, who isn’t playing.” (Actually, he’s playing 22 minutes a game but is scoring less – 5.9ppg – as the team’s 6th man.) “They may be the best in the country, their best in a long, long time. They are the threat to win the whole thing.” [Wouldn’t SU fans love to see a 5th UCONN championship!] “Villanova is down. Marquette is good. Creighton has lost 5 straight. They (The Big East) are not as strong as they’ve been. Arizona is good. UCLA looked really good against Maryland. Kansas I good. Virginia is really good. Duke and Texas are good.” What about the allegations against Texas coach Chris Beard? “If he’s a good coach, they’ll figure out how to keep him. It’s a sad thing, like that Buffalo kicker they let go and then the charges were dropped.

The UCal board of regents has given permission for UCLA to jump to the Big Ten. “They’ll get an extra $40 million a year vs. $10 million more in expenses and some tough travel. Big ten teams will go out to the coast once and play both UCLA and USC. But they will have to go across the country 5-6 times. The Olympic sports will do the same so we can get a game between USC and Rutgers. It’s a hardship for the athletes. But money’s involved so they don’t care.”

December 15th is the anniversary of Eric Devendorf’s injury, (12/15/2007, in a 125-75 win over East Tennessee State). “Rehab is a lonely feeling. For 9 months it’s two hours a day of lifting weights and other receiving treatments without touching a basketball.”

13-year-old Charley Woods, (Tiger’s son), has a perfect golf swing. Should he receive so much media attention at that age. “If the media thinks it’s a story, they’ll cover it. He plays like a 25-year-old. When I was 13 years old the best player on our basketball team was a center who was 5-6 or 5-7. Five years later, he was still 5-6 or 5-7 and he still is.“

About his talking about Pat’s call on Orange Nation yesterday – we thought he doesn’t listen to those shows. “I tell my people not to tell me what is aid on the radio, but I happened to be in the car.” [I guess his car won’t run unless the radio is on.]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom