The Jim Boeheim Show - before Florida State | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Florida State

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, one encouraging thing about the NC State game was that 49 of our 74 points came from freshmen. When you combine that with good recruiting news and the fact that we have no seniors, the future looks bright. The key is to keep players here while they develop their skills. We’ve lost a lot of players after a year or two in recent years. It’s often said that the NBA drafts player based on potential. You’ve pointed out that there are very few spots open on an NBA roster and each year there’s a whole new wave of talent becoming available. I would think that NBA teams would draft to get fully developed players who could help them immediately. Why do they draft on potential?”

Second Hour:

“Coach, Marek’s confrontation with the refs in the Wake Forest game reminded me of a baseball story from years ago. A player named Bob Dillinger, who wore glasses, was disgusted with two strike calls an umpire had given him. He handed his glasses to the Umpire, who then put them on and called for the next pitch. “STRIKE THREE!” He then handed the glasses back to Dillinger. My question is: isn’t there a league or Dome rule against showing replays of controversial calls? Should there be such a rule?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

JB: “Elijah just needs rest. He’s not healthy yet. He feels better. He played some in practice today and will play more tomorrow. But we won’t know until Saturday. He shouldn’t have tried to play. He could not physically do anything. The players made adjustments. Joe was tremendous getting to those mid-range shots. Quincy was great off the bench, too. We had too many turnovers. That was NC State’s best game of the year. They mad more threes than they usually make- 11. They average 7. In how many ACC games are you going to get 46 points from two freshmen? We did a good job on their best player and a guy who doesn’t make shots made them. We missed Elijah most at the end of the game. He finds people and he makes free throws….This game helped us. Joe knew he had to do more. Marek tried to do more but he missed shots.”

I called in my first question. About why the NBA drafts on potential when they have limited spots available. JB: “They want to get a great player. The NBA is about great players. They have enough good players. Kids want to go. You can’t blame them. Some guys get a good fit, like Jerami Grant and it works out. They others made some money. They draft guys and trade them or put them in Europe. 60 guys will be drafted after 100 guys declared for the draft. 40-50 think they will be drafted in the first round. “

Processing this response, I think that the draft is really about the first 5-10 guys and the rest of it really doesn’t matter. It’s not that they are drafting based on an assessment of the potential of the players beyond the top few. They are just gambling that some players from that group will turn out to be good NBA players and they assume that guys who are looking to leave college early must have the best potential. As a result you get many guys who are judged before they have reached their peak as players and are then cast aside. Meanwhile their college teams struggle to find replacements for them.

“Our team is very young, with a lot of basketball potential. We’ll be solid next year. A lot of guys will be coming back. We’ll have a 5th year player or two next year.” We have two very young guards, a freshman and a a sophomore. We have a couple guys redshirting that we think could be good players. We want to win right now but you have to look down the road. Many guys have redshirted and turned out to be good players. We were always going to be a young team. We are in the top 4 in the league in offense for the first time in a long time. We are in the top 5 in three pointers. The surprise is that we are in the top 5-6 in field goal percentage defense and three point percentage defense.”

Josh in boulder asserted that “We are a good team, a very good team. Without Elijah, Joe just stepped in. Quincy reminds me of Otis Hill”. JB: “He gets a lot of offensive boards. He made two really good post moves. He’s still learning how to finish. Sometimes he just throws the ball up there. He had been making three pointers the last couple of years but now he struggles to make them in games and even in practice. He’s also lost his rhythm on free throws. He was making them but he missed them against NC State and is now missing them in practice. He’ll keep going. Maybe he’ll improve. If he can’t make jump shots, he can’t drive. He’s just not there yet.”

On our next two opponents: Florida State “plays 11 guys. The 11th guy hadn’t been playing but then he hit 6 three pointers. They have tremendous talent. One guy will score 17 in one game and 5 the next. But somebody else will score 17 and the first guy will get that in the next game.” Matt Park pointed out that 8 FSU players have ahad a 15 point game. JB: “There isn’t another team in the country like that. They have guys that can jump out of the gym. They have 3-4 shot blockers. They don’t always shoot well from three but they can.” Matt: “They are averaging 9 steals a game.” JB: “They will come at you in waves. You have to take care of the ball and get back on defense.” Louisville: “also has 8-10 guys who can play and all of them can score.”

Gomez came on and asked about the Wake Forest game. JB: “It was a crazy game. We got off to a really good start. We had a good spurt to start the second half. We didn’t play that poorly but they got right back in the game. Then we got in foul trouble. The big guys have to be careful not to commit silly fouls: pushes, over the back calls, etc….Wake is as good team, they just beat North Carolina by 17 after they had almost beaten Duke. It was the first time they’d beaten UNC in 6 years….That, (winning that game) was one of the most surprising things I’ve ever seen. That’s up there with the most improbable wins. Look at that line-up We had two 6-5 forwards and Jesse who isn’t ready. (Jesse the Readiless) We had 3 freshmen against 3 seniors and 2 juniors. We got steals, blocked shots and got rebounds. Jesse has physical skills but he needs 6-7 months in the weight room. Etan Thomas stayed at school during the summer to work out in the weight room with the football players. He got really strong and wound up a 9th round draft choice.”

More on the NC State game: “I told Joe that he had to get going. He was just great. He got us back into the game. If only he’s hit a normal percentage of his three pointers, we could have won. Elijah has made the plays we needed at the end of games. That’s where we really missed him….Quincy ran out of gas. He hasn’t played enough this year to go that long. It’s just a matter of time before he gets there. Buddy had some good looks in the first half. He had a pretty good second half but then came the turnovers. Without Elijah he doesn’t get help. We played spectacularly to get 6 point lead.”

I called in my second question about whether there was or should be a rule about showing controversial calls. “There isn’t a rule in the league or in the NBA. I think there used to be one. It was a really bad technical foul, the referee should have just admitted he was wrong on that one.“ Gomez: Do the referees ever apologize? JB: “No they move on to the next game. Their supervisor might say something. If there is contact you can call a foul but if a guy isn’t out of bounds you can’t call him out of bounds.”

On Brycen Goodine’s injury: “he doesn’t really see the ball clearly through the mask. It may come off next week.” (Actually, he started playing better when he put it on – maybe they should all wear one.)

Gomez said that Elijah seemed very active on the bench in supporting his fallow players on the court. JB: Our bench has been great, (he also mentioned Jalen Carey). The fans have been great.” Gomez asked if the players have anything to say during time-out huddles. JB: “No. There’s no talking in the huddle. First I describe what I want and then the assistants get a few words in with their players.”

After several weeks without one, they had a trivia question: who was the last SU freshman to score 30 points in a game? They admitted that’s a pretty easy one. To make it more interesting I’ll ask what SU freshmen have scored 30 points in a game and how many times did they do it?

More on the NC State game: “I told Joe that he had to get going. He was just great. He got us back into the game. If only he’s hit a normal percentage of his three pointers, we could have won. Elijah has made the plays we needed at the end of games. That’s where we really missed him….Quincy ran out of gas. He hasn’t played enough this year to go that long. It’s just a matter of time before he gets there. Buddy had some good looks in the first half. He had a pretty good second half but then came the turnovers. Without Elijah he doesn’t get help. We played spectacularly to get 6 point lead.”

JB is maniacal in his fandom of this Buddy fellow!

Yet another comment from JB along the lines of either a player or a team making considerably more threes than their averages or playing one of their best games of the year in that regard. Hello, McFly...connect the dots. :):mad:

I may call in next week and ask if Elijah Hughes will be honored on Senior Day.
Schools do honor players that know they are leaving on Senior Day across the nation.

Yet another comment from JB along the lines of either a player or a team making considerably more threes than their averages or playing one of their best games of the year in that regard. Hello, McFly...connect the dots. :):mad:
And when you're done, connect them to "we are in the top 5-6 in field goal percentage defense and three point percentage defense. "

JB has always been a win today coach. I can't remember him talking about next season during a season before. It looks like JB knows this team isn't NCAA bound/worthy.

I think most of us fans have adjusted for this reality too. It was very hard for me early in this season to watch the team play poorly as the non-conference losses piled up but in the past month I've really enjoyed watching the team/players get better and play entertaining games win or lose.

And when you're done, connect them to "we are in the top 5-6 in field goal percentage defense and three point percentage defense. "

That's great. Though, we do have another double digit loss season upon us again. With this season's enhanced O, it's a good thing we are so solid there, as you point out, otherwise without such defensive prowess, again as you mentioned, I don't know where we'd be. ;):rolleyes:

7 games remaining i don't want to hear "players aren't ready".

Every team has players who aren't ready. Some of them never get there.

Could their names be tape and towns?

Let's do the math, (and tell me if I've got this wrong anywhere).

The NCAA lets us give out 13 scholarships. One would have gone to Oshae Brissett if he hadn't opted to be what baseball calls a "4A" player. Instead it was given to Sean Belbey, a walk-on and will be available for a recruited player next year. Everybody else is a recruited player with eligibility left after this season.

We have commitments from Woody Newton, a power forward and Kadary Richmond, a combo guard who will be freshmen.

We're looking to bring in two grad transfers from the ivy league: Columbia's center, Patrick Tapé and Harvard small forward Seth Towns.

That would give us 16 guys on scholarship. that means we've got lose 3 underclassmen. Redshirting won't solve the problem since they still count. I would think Elijah Hughes would be one, Jalen Carey would be two. Who's number 3? Howard Washington?

7 games remaining i don't want to hear "players aren't ready".
It's a fair statement regarding Jesse. He is a big man who is just starting to figure out what he is capable of and then still doesn't have the size or strength to quite get it done.

PART 2

Continuing the discussion of players jumping to the pros, Gomez asked about the future of the NBA’s one and done rule. “It was supposed to be eliminated for the Class of 22 but they couldn’t make an agreement with the union. The teams wanted time to set up their draft. (???) I think they’ll do it. A lot of kids think they can make – and they don’t. They wind up with no degree. Let them come back and go to college!” (My idea exactly!) “You have to think creatively. College ball and the NBA would both be better and the players would be better off. If we can keep guys 3-4 years kids will realize that they are going to make much more money. There’s not much room on an NBA roster. There’s not going to have time to work with you. Of 400 guys, having 10-20 of them make NBA rosters would be a lot. Every NBA team has 15 guys and 2 more in the ‘G’ league. The only g league players that make are those with the two way contracts, (they are employed by the NBA team and by the G league team), like Oshae. And their forwards are young guys who could be around for 10 years.

Around the conference: “Florida State would have beaten Duke if they weren’t 3 for 18 from three.” (And we would have beaten NC State if we weren’t 3 for 18 from three). “Louisville doesn’t lose at home. They didn’t make any shots at Georgia Tech. That just doesn’t happen but it did, although Tech is a really good defensive team. They didn’t have their point guard. They have two good big guys and a good shooting guard and small forward. Wake Forest beat UNC by 17 after the Heels almost beat Duke. I think Wake is a good team. We were up 16 and they almost beat us. The league has taken too much criticism. The bottom teams are better than last year. Notre Dame has lost 5 games by 1 point.” (Actually 3 but they’ve also lost by 2 twice, 3 and 5.) Miami beat BC 85-58. It was their first big game with everybody healthy. They’ve won 4 ACC road games. Clemson beat Pitt by 20 on the road. They are hard to beat at home but barely win on the road. Pitt’s guards couldn’t make shots.” There it is again- you’ve got to make your shots!

On the national scene: “Nebraska is the worst team in the Big Ten yet they had two guys out and almost beat Maryland….Washington has no point guard. That makes it hard to be successful. Colorado is atop the Pac 12.” This produced a discussion of their football coach, Mel Tucker, who pledged to stay there and then moved on to Michigan State. “You have to say that or you can’t recruit. I don’t know why people don’t understand that. Coaches are going to take a better job and Michigan State is a better job. Whoever you are, if they double your salary and it’s a really job, you are going. …Just for the money, of course, is not a good thing. You could get fired in three years, too. “

The women were playing North Carolina. “Their season has been similar to the men. When they shoot well, they can beat a lot of people.”

Marquette’s Markus Howard finally broke Lawrence Moten’s all-time Big East scoring record, which has lasted a quarter century. Howard at his best is a more prolific scorer- he’s had a couple of 50 point games. “Moten got more publicity in the last week than he ever got. Howard made a three at the buzzer to set the record. He almost left for the pros before this year.”

Bobby Knight returned to Indiana after 20 years. “He’s stubborn. A great coach but a difficult guy. He’s your friend one day and yelling at you for nothing the next. The first time we beat them in Hawaii, (the 1990 Maui Classic), he wouldn’t let his guys take off their uniforms- they had to go back wearing them. The second time, (the 1998 Maui Classic), My daughter spoke with him and he was a different guy. They had a pleasant conversation. A hundred guys played for him and maybe 2 didn’t like him. The others all swear by him.”

It’s the 40th anniversary of the opening day of the lake Placid Olympics. Gomez said that he was there for the hockey medal ceremony but not for the game itself. (Things were more informal and less expensive then so he was able to get in when he heard the result.) Jim couldn’t watch the opening ceremonies because his team was doing something else that night- losing to Georgetown in the last game at Manley Field House. Jim said he saw the hockey game itself but it may have bene on tape. (It was for everybody- I recall seeing celebrating USA fans in the background of Jim McKay’s broadcast as he said the game would be presented in prime time.)

Jim recalled beating Purdue and Joe Barry Carroll on national TV that year . “It was one of our most exciting wins, our biggest regular season game to that points. Intersectional games were rarer than now. “ (I recall Rosey Bouie blocking the 7-1 Carroll’s jump shot and Dick Vitale going bananas.) Jim also recalled the Iowa loss in the NCAAs that ended the Louie and Bouie Era. “A guy knocks over Bouie and he gets called for his fifth foul”. Gomez said he recalled a bad call on Tony Bruin. What I recall is that we struggled to get about a 7 point lead late in the game and JB decided to put on a press to close it out and we lost the lead and the game. In those days his press consisted of four guys attacking the ball and one guy guarding the basket. All the other team had to do was loop the ball to mid-court and they got fast break after fast break. Jim’s disaffection with the press and desire to milk the clock with a lead seems to date from that. The problem wasn’t the idea- it was the design. “it was a good year in a lot of ways and a bad year in some ways, too.” We wound up 26-4 and were #2 in the nation before that Georgetown game.

Scottie Pippin wants the All-star game expanded. Jim agrees. “Good players get left out. He cited Devin booker, who did manage to get in after an injury to Damien Lillard.

Gomez asked if NBA players gamble a lot. JB: “The Olympic team was always playing poker for hundreds of dollars. They love casinos. Most learn the hard way that you can’t win there, in the long run.

Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos bought a house for $165 million, which is 1/8 of 1 percent of his net worth. It will have a staff of 50-60 people, a swimming poll and a golf course. JB: “Just two people will be living there and they probably don’t swim or play golf.”

A final world on Florida State: “They are one of the most athletic teams in the country and they come at you for 40 minutes. Elijah is feeling better but you just can’t tell. If he can go, he’ll try to do it.”

Trevor in Brewerton asked the coach “If you couldn’t coach the next game, which assist would you want coaching the team?” JB: “I don’t know but I’m not missing the next game.”

Last edited:
Jim recalled beating Purdue and Joe Barry Carroll on national TV that year . “It was one of our most exciting wins, our biggest regular season game to that points. Intersectional games were rarer than now. “ (I recall Rosey Bouie blocking the 7-1 Carroll’s jump shot and Dick Vitale going bananas.)

It was a national Sunday game, probably on NBC. I don't remember who the announcers were but it was probably Enberg, Packer and McGuire...My guess would be that McGuire was the one who went nuts...

Let's do the math, (and tell me if I've got this wrong anywhere).

The NCAA lets us give out 13 scholarships. One would have gone to Oshae Brissett if he hadn't opted to be what baseball calls a "4A" player. Instead it was given to Sean Belbey, a walk-on and will be available for a recruited player next year. Everybody else is a recruited player with eligibility left after this season.

We have commitments from Woody Newton, a power forward and Kadary Richmond, a combo guard who will be freshmen.

We're looking to bring in two grad transfers from the ivy league: Columbia's center, Patrick Tapé and Harvard small forward Seth Towns.

That would give us 16 guys on scholarship. that means we've got lose 3 underclassmen. Redshirting won't solve the problem since they still count. I would think Elijah Hughes would be one, Jalen Carey would be two. Who's number 3? Howard Washington?
I think your math is good but I believe we will not bring in a grad transfer SF if Hughes decides to stay. No way Towns wants to come here if Hughes comes back and we wouldn’t have room for him even if he did.

As moqui has pointed out, if Elijah comes back, he would be a 5th year player. I think the one clear inference we can make from JB’s 2 5th year players comment is that we will be adding a grad transfer center for next year (or at least we are intending to).

Every team has players who aren't ready. Some of them never get there.
hey...they're called walk-ons . coach's job to get his players "ready" . should have 8-10 "ready " every game.
especially this far into the season. march is 2 weeks away !

Last edited:
hey...they're called walk-ons . coach's job to get his players "ready" . should have 8-10 "ready " every game.
especially this far into the season. march is 2 weeks away !

We - and most teams - are normally 8 deep. We might be right now. except for injuries to Carey, Braswell and Goodine. I think we'll see more and more of Edwards and Jim will stop saying that he isn't ready. The comment was related to his physical strength, which can take a while to build up. Every team has some guys like that.

I think your math is good but I believe we will not bring in a grad transfer SF if Hughes decides to stay. No way Towns wants to come here if Hughes comes back and we wouldn’t have room for him even if he did.

As moqui has pointed out, if Elijah comes back, he would be a 5th year player. I think the one clear inference we can make from JB’s 2 5th year players comment is that we will be adding a grad transfer center for next year (or at least we are intending to).

I assumed that if we bring in all four guys and expect three to leave that Hughes would be one of them. Towns is clearly not coming here if Hughes stays, for the reasons you cite. You may be right about the referenc eto two 5th year players. One way or another, we'll have two of them.

It was a national Sunday game, probably on NBC. I don't remember who the announcers were but it was probably Enberg, Packer and McGuire...My guess would be that McGuire was the one who went nuts...

Thinking back on it, it was surely McGuire, not Vitale. Al was considered the big personality among college basketball broadcasters of the time, (and was ten times the broadcaster Vitale ever was). I miss him.

We - and most teams - are normally 8 deep. We might be right now. except for injuries to Carey, Braswell and Goodine. I think we'll see more and more of Edwards and Jim will stop saying that he isn't ready. The comment was related to his physical strength, which can take a while to build up. Every team has some guys like that.
yeah right . i forgot carey's "injury" ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom