The Jim Boeheim Show - before Florida State | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Florida State

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

The early shows tend to be in a one hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. If they go back to the 2 hour format, I may split it up between the items directly related to the team, which I will post that night and the other stuff, which I will post the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, you said that playing in the Atlantis tournament was good because it showed your team where they stood and what had to be improved on. All the teams are a work in progress this time of year. In recent years the NCAA committee has placed increasing emphasis on these early games. They evaluate results based on the ranking of the team with the ‘tier’ system. They also consider where the games were played. Shouldn’t also consider when the games are played? Shouldn’t December games count more than November games, January more than December, February more than January and March games the most of all to acknowledge the evolution of these teams?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

Jim didn’t show up until 7:45 and a did a 15 minute show. Kudos to Matt Park for doing 45 minutes of fill. He summarized the season, upcoming games, played audio highlights and then started talking about the best and worst places to eat in each ACC city. I was hoping to find out if he could tap dance but then the Coach arrived.

“We practiced late and then I started to do something.” I hope they practiced defense. I also wonder if JB is getting tired of doing this show. It’s the second time he’s been late. Julie had to remind him to go to Carrabba’s last time – and it was his birthday.

“Florida State will be a good, tough game. They use pressure. They lacked a couple of starters vs. Purdue. We’ve got to get better on defense. I thought we’d be decent, but we aren’t. We haven’t averaged 80 points a game in years (on offense).” (Or on defense, fortunately.). That was the worst game situation for a 6 point lead I can remember. We had a turnover, a missed foul shot, fouled a three point guy, then failed to get the ball on the intentional foul shot miss. The guy threw a perfect miss but we didn’t jump. Buddy might have just touched the guy on the three. Joe got hammered and luckily they called it.” [It’s not supposed to be luck.]

“Colgate, Auburn and Indiana are all very good against the zone. Colgate had two guys who made 14 threes against us and they went 2 for 15 against Niagara.”

“Everyone of our guys could come back next year. They all won’t but they could.”

“Atlantis was the toughest tournament we’ve bene in. Arizona State was the only bad team.”

I had been on hold for most of the 45 minutes. I finally got to ask the question above. JB: “They used to think like that but they’ve changed their thinking. All the games count the same now. What we did in Atlantis won’t hurt us as much as the Colgate loss. Indiana will be pretty good. Teams with 10-11 losses will be in the tournament. There’s nothing I would criticize our team for. They are working very hard. We’ve been limiting turnovers and shooting well. We just need to get a little bit better on defense. We’ve had trouble getting to certain places. We have 5 new players up front.

Matt had some “screwball questions” from the patrons at Carrabba’s, including a couple from nellie, who asked what the men’s program does to support women’s basketball at SU. “They have full equal use of the melo center. Their offices and locker rooms are just the same as ours. We’ve always helped them recruit and they help us. Our guys go to their games and theirs go to ours. Some our players over the years have taken them out on dates. They had quite a victory over Ohio State, who was #18 in the country.”

Nellie also asked what non-basketball lessons the team gets. “We just talked about that today. It’s about persevering. If things are not going you way, you can’t feel sorry for yourself. You can have many bad days. In class, the teacher is never wrong – he has control of you grades. You have to adjust. On the court, in school or in business, you have to fight your way through it.

Someone asked about Coach’s hobbies. He likes to fish, still plays golf a little. But it’s mostly watching TV and movies. He likes to tape them to skip the commercials.

I thought it was just a make-shift 15 minute show but they added a half hour segment with Gomez. (They’d bene doing that on the Dino Babers Show but not yet on the Boeheim Show.). I had no back-up question so I just took notes.

They started talking about the Indiana game. Mike Woodson is “a great guy and a well-respected coach. We missed four threes to start the second half that we’d made in the first and they made theirs. Suddenly an 18 point lead was 9. 25 turnovers were the difference, although some of those we forced and some we did not. They shot 71% in the second half, including 55% from three. It’s a tribute to their good shooting and our bad defense. We’re giving up way too many points. We changed the zone. We can play it in 2-3 different ways, in or out. we’ve changed it a lot to defend against the three point shot.”

Gomez asked about Frank Anselem’s improved free throw shooting. He started out 1 for 5 and had now made his last 8. “We usually don’t make a lot of changes - it can mess a player up. He was shooting from the floor. We just told him to stop here and shoot. He’s got to move better. He’s not defending. Benny’s got to jump and get a piece of that ball. To recover from that and going 4 down to win is very hard to do. Atlantis was tough and physical in every game. But we toughed it out and got one our best wins in a long time.”

Someone at the restaurant named Tisch asked if Jim had his eye on any local players in his recruiting. Of course he can’t name names but apparently there aren’t any to name. “Nobody. It’s hard to find players in upstate….” [let’s not get back into what ‘upstate’ means again, please.] “…so we wind up moving outward. We got one from California who has some east coast connections. We got two kids from Virginia, where we’ve never gotten anyone before. We also got one from Massachusetts and one from Pennsylvania. They aren’t highly rated because Covid kept them out of the tournaments. I’d rate them all in the top 40-70 or 80 players. Guys like Oshae Brissett and Buddy weren’t highly rated either. These are the kind of guys who 3 years or more. We’ve got a couple centers coming back for next year and could have a couple of guards, too.

Gomez asked if the portal has made things more difficult. “It has and it hasn’t. You can lose guys but you also can get guys. Out of 1,800 guys, 900-1000 won’t work out. We had guys transfer who are playing less than when they played here. We lost guys we didn’t want to go but picked up some good guys. You even lose happy guys. I love Robert Braswell. Nobody else recruited him. He was playing starts minutes for us last year and would have helped us this year. He’s not starting where he is and that team’s not that good. This is the way things are and we’ve got to adjust to it.”

Gomez then asked a series of questions about some of the odd things that go on in the sports world. The disgusted coach at Arkansas-Pine Bluff had his players running wind sprints as punishment for their bad play during a time out. Jim said that he’s seen coaches having their players running plays during time outs. “Coaches do crazy things. None of that works.”

At Wisconsin the players are wearing jerseys they themselves designed. “If I designed a jersey, none would wear them.”

Coach appeared on something called the Vince Carter Show, a one hour show produced by NFL Films. Danny Schayes also appeared, and they filmed around Syracuse, including the famous 24 second clock. Coach doesn’t know when or where it will be shown. I could find nothing about it on the internet.

Gomez asked about the recent college football coaching moves. Some of Oklahoma’s committed have decommitted to follow Lincoln Riley to USC. “There used to be a practice that you didn’t touch players who had committed from your old school but no more. Everybody says it’s the school but it’s the coach. LSU will give Kelly 4 years to win a national championship but he could with the players he can get down there. Coach’s salaries are ridiculous, but the college presidents pay them. It’s like baseball owners. They have no will power but a year after they agree to the deal, they are complaining about it. They have no will power. Then there’s the Mets. They signed that guy for a big contract to play shortstop and then he hits .200 and complains when the fans boo.

“Florida State has a lot of players. They come after you. But we’ve bene through it and we’re prepared.”

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

The early shows tend to be in a one hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. If they go back to the 2 hour format, I may split it up between the items directly related to the team, which I will post that night and the other stuff, which I will post the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, you said that playing in the Atlantis tournament was good because it showed your team where they stood and what had to be improved on. All the teams are a work in progress this time of year. In recent years the NCAA committee has placed increasing emphasis on these early games. They evaluate results based on the ranking of the team with the ‘tier’ system. They also consider where the games were played. Shouldn’t also consider when the games are played? Shouldn’t December games count more than November games, January more than December, February more than January and March games the most of all to acknowledge the evolution of these teams?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

Jim didn’t show up until 7:45 and a did a 15 minute show. Kudos to Matt Park for doing 45 minutes of fill. He summarized the season, upcoming games, played audio highlights and then started talking about the best and worst places to eat in each ACC city. I was hoping to find out if he could tap dance but then the Coach arrived.

“We practiced late and then I started to do something.” I hope they practiced defense. I also wonder if JB is getting tired of doing this show. It’s the second time he’s been late. Julie had to remind him to go to Carrabba’s last time – and it was his birthday.

“Florida State will be a good, tough game. They use pressure. They lacked a couple of starters vs. Purdue. We’ve got to get better on defense. I thought we’d be decent, but we aren’t. We haven’t averaged 80 points a game in years (on offense).” (Or on defense, fortunately.). That was the worst game situation for a 6 point lead I can remember. We had a turnover, a missed foul shot, fouled a three point guy, then failed to get the ball on the intentional foul shot miss. The guy threw a perfect miss but we didn’t jump. Buddy might have just touched the guy on the three. Joe got hammered and luckily they called it.” [It’s not supposed to be luck.]

“Colgate, Auburn and Indiana are all very good against the zone. Colgate had two guys who made 14 threes against us and they went 2 for 15 against Niagara.”

“Everyone of our guys could come back next year. They all won’t but they could.”

“Atlantis was the toughest tournament we’ve bene in. Arizona State was the only bad team.”

I had been on hold for most of the 45 minutes. I finally got to ask the question above. JB: “They used to think like that but they’ve changed their thinking. All the games count the same now. What we did in Atlantis won’t hurt us as much as the Colgate loss. Indiana will be pretty good. Teams with 10-11 losses will be in the tournament. There’s nothing I would criticize our team for. They are working very hard. We’ve been limiting turnovers and shooting well. We just need to get a little bit better on defense. We’ve had trouble getting to certain places. We have 5 new players up front.

Matt had some “screwball questions” from the patrons at Carrabba’s, including a couple from nellie, who asked what the men’s program does to support women’s basketball at SU. “They have full equal use of the melo center. Their offices and locker rooms are just the same as ours. We’ve always helped them recruit and they help us. Our guys go to their games and theirs go to ours. Some our players over the years have taken them out on dates. They had quite a victory over Ohio State, who was #18 in the country.”

Nellie also asked what non-basketball lessons the team gets. “We just talked about that today. It’s about persevering. If things are not going you way, you can’t feel sorry for yourself. You can have many bad days. In class, the teacher is never wrong – he has control of you grades. You have to adjust. On the court, in school or in business, you have to fight your way through it.

Someone asked about Coach’s hobbies. He likes to fish, still plays golf a little. But it’s mostly watching TV and movies. He likes to tape them to skip the commercials.

I thought it was just a make-shift 15 minute show but they added a half hour segment with Gomez. (They’d bene doing that on the Dino Babers Show but not yet on the Boeheim Show.). I had no back-up question so I just took notes.

They started talking about the Indiana game. Mike Woodson is “a great guy and a well-respected coach. We missed four threes to start the second half that we’d made in the first and they made theirs. Suddenly an 18 point lead was 9. 25 turnovers were the difference, although some of those we forced and some we did not. They shot 71% in the second half, including 55% from three. It’s a tribute to their good shooting and our bad defense. We’re giving up way too many points. We changed the zone. We can play it in 2-3 different ways, in or out. we’ve changed it a lot to defend against the three point shot.”

Gomez asked about Frank Anselem’s improved free throw shooting. He started out 1 for 5 and had now made his last 8. “We usually don’t make a lot of changes - it can mess a player up. He was shooting from the floor. We just told him to stop here and shoot. He’s got to move better. He’s not defending. Benny’s got to jump and get a piece of that ball. To recover from that and going 4 down to win is very hard to do. Atlantis was tough and physical in every game. But we toughed it out and got one our best wins in a long time.”

Someone at the restaurant named Tisch asked if Jim had his eye on any local players in his recruiting. Of course he can’t name names but apparently there aren’t any to name. “Nobody. It’s hard to find players in upstate….” [let’s not get back into what ‘upstate’ means again, please.] “…so we wind up moving outward. We got one from California who has some east coast connections. We got two kids from Virginia, where we’ve never gotten anyone before. We also got one from Massachusetts and one from Pennsylvania. They aren’t highly rated because Covid kept them out of the tournaments. I’d rate them all in the top 40-70 or 80 players. Guys like Oshae Brissett and Buddy weren’t highly rated either. These are the kind of guys who 3 years or more. We’ve got a couple centers coming back for next year and could have a couple of guards, too.

Gomez asked if the portal has made things more difficult. “It has and it hasn’t. You can lose guys but you also can get guys. Out of 1,800 guys, 900-1000 won’t work out. We had guys transfer who are playing less than when they played here. We lost guys we didn’t want to go but picked up some good guys. You even lose happy guys. I love Robert Braswell. Nobody else recruited him. He was playing starts minutes for us last year and would have helped us this year. He’s not starting where he is and that team’s not that good. This is the way things are and we’ve got to adjust to it.”

Gomez then asked a series of questions about some of the odd things that go on in the sports world. The disgusted coach at Arkansas-Pine Bluff had his players running wind sprints as punishment for their bad play during a time out. Jim said that he’s seen coaches having their players running plays during time outs. “Coaches do crazy things. None of that works.”

At Wisconsin the players are wearing jerseys they themselves designed. “If I designed a jersey, none would wear them.”

Coach appeared on something called the Vince Carter Show, a one hour show produced by NFL Films. Danny Schayes also appeared, and they filmed around Syracuse, including the famous 24 second clock. Coach doesn’t know when or where it will be shown. I could find nothing about it on the internet.

Gomez asked about the recent college football coaching moves. Some of Oklahoma’s committed have decommitted to follow Lincoln Riley to USC. “There used to be a practice that you didn’t touch players who had committed from your old school but no more. Everybody says it’s the school but it’s the coach. LSU will give Kelly 4 years to win a national championship but he could with the players he can get down there. Coach’s salaries are ridiculous, but the college presidents pay them. It’s like baseball owners. They have no will power but a year after they agree to the deal, they are complaining about it. They have no will power. Then there’s the Mets. They signed that guy for a big contract to play shortstop and then he hits .200 and complains when the fans boo.

“Florida State has a lot of players. They come after you. But we’ve bene through it and we’re prepared.”
Whoa Nellie! lol

I listened to the women's game on S.U. Athletics, and it was a good one. I was thinking the same thing about whether the men and women teams support each other and were the men in attendance? Good to know they do.

Didn't Donavan McNabb marry a basketball player. I think her name was Nurse and she was pretty good.

Appreciate all your contributions good sir... you really do some amazing work and it’s nice looking forward to your posts.

Whoa Nellie! lol

I listened to the women's game on S.U. Athletics, and it was a good one. I was thinking the same thing about whether the men and women teams support each other and were the men in attendance? Good to know they do.

Didn't Donavan McNabb marry a basketball player. I think her name was Nurse and she was pretty good.
There have been a number of SU male athletes who dated, some marrying female SU athletes. Qadry Ismael (football) married Holly Ostrander (basketball), our friend Randy Edsall (football) married Eileen Smith (basketball). Yes, Donovan McNabb married Raquel Nurse (basketball). I used to see Donte Green at some women’s BB games.

I don’t get how Jimmy Jr. could come back next year..
Last year was a free year for what should have been his Senior year.
How does Jimmy get an extra year next year if he wants one?

Or was that comment just a mistake.

Leaving the possibility Buddy could come back...crazier things have happened

Whoa Nellie! lol

It’s a college thing, at least for a couple of my boys. The teams go out and support each other. Hartwick will call a “code blue” (team color) if there are not enough people in the stands. Athletes are expected to show out and be loud

I don’t think he can come back.

Yeah. He meant “everybody” in the general sense.

As a Grad Assistant

We have gotten players from VA before. AO was from Episcopal HS. Oak Hill Academy is in VA. We've gotten some players from there.

Has the show always been at Carrabba’s ? Maybe he doesn't like Carrabba’s

It used to be at Delmonicos.

It used to be at Delmonicos.
He did it at Shaughnessy‘s for a short period too. I would think Carrabbas is the main location because it’s 5 minutes from his house.

We have gotten players from VA before. AO was from Episcopal HS. Oak Hill Academy is in VA. We've gotten some players from there.
Frank Howard too, at least his HS. But there is a world of difference between NoVa and the rest of the Commonwealth of Virginia. I bet that's what he's alluding to.

There have been a number of SU male athletes who dated, some marrying female SU athletes. our friend Randy Edsall (football) married Eileen Smith (basketball).
I wonder if randy did his dandy dance at their wedding?

I wonder if randy did his dandy dance at their wedding?
I wonder if he left her on the last night of their honeymoon. She went to bed and he went to live with his assistant and she found out about it the next day when he didn't get on the flight home.

Jimmy can't comeback, this is it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom