The Jim Boeheim Show - before Georgia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Georgia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: Americu Jim Boeheim Show Starts Nov. 9 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or https://twitter.com/hashtag/AskBoeheim?src=hashtag_click

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segment the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

For the Matt Park Segment:

“Coach, people are arguing about whether you should have pulled Judah Mintz for Symir Torrence of the that final possession. I’ve never seen a coach pull his starting point guard at the end of a close game. Hove you ever done that? People don’t give the other team enough credit for, in this case, playing good defense and cutting off Judah’s passing options. Coach Autry made a good point in an interview: he needed to get a shot off. It might have gone in or we could tip it in. Judah loves to try to draw the foul but you’re not going to get that call at the end of a road game.”

“With a young team does it take longer for the team to develop on defense than offense because of the greater degree of coordination needed?”

For the Gomez segment:
“Coach, sometimes I hear basketball broadcasters note that a player puts a shot up when there are no rebounders under the basket. Do you want your players counting rebounders before they decide to shoot if they have demonstrated the ability to make that shot and it’s open to them?”

(For the third segment on Twitch I’ll improvise a question or two after listening to the rest of the show.)

I’ll ask this question on Twitch:

“Does Joe Girard do better when he just looks for an open shot, regardless of whether it’s from three point range?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Jim felt that the real key to the game was that “we stopped playing defense in the second half”. [I felt our defense was OK but we stopped rebounding and had to play more defense. Of course, if you don’t wind up with the ball, have you really played good defense?] “The rebounds can’t all be on Jesse. We didn’t stop anybody.

He’s heard all the radio discussion about whether he should have pulled Judah Mintz from the Miami game. “Any coach who did that should be fired! Judah is our best player. He made a bad move. It would have been coaching malpractice to take him out. He’s won games for us. In the Pitt game we went away from Judah and lost. You have to have your best players in the game.” He said that Brent Axe, who has bene pushing the view that Judah should have bene replaced with Symir Torrance, is just “playing to the people.” Jim joked that Wong had a bad game – I wonder why Jimmy Larrañaga had him in at the end?

Matt noted that several players were in foul trouble. Jim said that Isaiah Wong is good against a man-for-man but struggles against a zone, which , “keeps us in the game…Pack took three long shots to win the game. That’s the way it goes.”

I asked my question about young players learning offense faster than defense. Jim said that sounded logical – but was wrong. “It takes young players more time to learn an offense. Defense comes quicker. Our problem is that we have structural problems up front where we are (physically) thin at every position. It’s easier to overcome in the zone than man-for-man but we’re not as physical as we’d like to be. Our interior defense is not good. Benny’s become more relaxed making his shots but he still needs to rebound and play defense. It’s a good sign that we were close with Miami. Judah just had a bad game.”

They went over the ACC results so far. “it’s crazy. Notre Dame beat Michigan State. BC beat Virginia Tech. Florida State is beginning to play well. Wake Forest is playing well. Clemson lost to them But Virginia is the best team North Carolina “hasn’t played well”. The ACC is as balanced, top to bottom, as I’ve ever seen it. Georgia Tech, like a lot of teams, is full of transfers. “there’s lots of player movement these days. They are a good team and have been in every game. They are physical. [I love that term. If they were ethereal, could they play defense?] They can play man-for-man or zone. They beat Miami. They can beat anybody” Matt noted that Josh Pastner, the Georgia Tech coach, said “We’ve gotten open shots but haven’t made them”. JB: “I hope it continues.

Looking at the Big Ten, Maryland and Illinois have bene up and down, (the Illini are now 13-6). Jim saw Purdue beat Michigan State 64-63, a game where each team scored in their final five possessions. He thought it was one of the best games he’s seen. 10 years ago today, (the night of the broadcast), SU beat #1 Louisville in their place. Both teams wound up in the Final Four, where the Cardinals won their third national championship.

John in Liverpool likes the idea of Jesse Edwards, Malik Brown and Benny Williams playing on the front line together. JB: “I’ve thought about it a lot. We have experimented with it. We would be a better rebounding team Benny has to make shots. Without the threat of Chris Bell or Justin Taylor making outside shots, things could get congested inside. Also, with that line up, we wouldn’t get back on defense as well, with Maliq and Benny going in to rebound. That’s probably the biggest reason (not to use it).”

Jim understood why Mike Brey would decide to retire- Four of his top six guys are seniors and it will be a big rebuild. It’s harder for Notre Dame to get portal guys. [I thought he’d talk about academic requirements but…] Notre Dame is a football school in the middle of nowhere. Nobody will have any more success there than Mike has.”

Josh in Boulder is concerned with our habit of losing big leads against Miami. JB: “Last year they were a better pressing team. This game was about the boards. It was a toss-up plus they got those long threes. We needed to make plays.”

They discussed the potential crowd for next Tuesday’s North Carolina game. Jim thinks the students could add 5,000 more to the 15-16,000 we’ve been getting. “They have missed so many games”.

Dave in Minneapolis asked how Jimmy and Buddy Boeheim are doing. JB: “Jimmy’s in Greece. His team has moved up to the top division and they are struggling. Jimmy watches all our games on TV late at night. Buddy has a two way contract with the Pistons
He’s been out 4 weeks and will be back tonight. He was hitting 38-40% of hit three pointers.

Gomez took over and asked about the Notre Dame game, which had also been played since the last show. JB: “We didn’t play very well for 75% of the game. They our freshmen made some threes and we pulled the game out of jeopardy. We’re not made to press a lot. We didn’t actually get any steals off of it. (Against Miami) you can’t give up that many points and win. (If Judah had gotten a shot off), we had a good chance for an offensive rebound. Joe Girard managed to back down a 5-9 guy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him do that.”

JB likes the show “Yellowstone” and went over to greet Cole Houser, who plays Rip Wheeler on that show and even had him address the team in the locker room. “He’s so tough on the show and such a nice guy in person.” Jim also admitted that he and his team heard the crowd reaction when the guy hit the half-court shot. [They didn’t cover him, either]

I asked my second question and Jim laughed loudly. He wanted to know who had said that. I was going to leave Matt’s name out of it but told him. Jim laughed again and said Matt, (who has his dinner there after his segment), “Is looking at me, wondering “What’s he talking about?!?” Jim: “Our offense is designed to get good shots. It’s my job to make sure that our big men, when not setting screens, go for the offensive rebounds. We need good shots. Maliq can go inside for baskets. Benny can hit from outside. Chris and Justin are shooters.” Regarding rebounding, “Virginia and in the NBA, they are more concerned about getting back on defense than offensive rebounding. A shooter would never, ever try to count rebounders.” He said “the pick an roll is probably the best way to score. It’s hard to guard. That’s all they do in Europe and it dominates the NBA. Downscreens are tough, too.”

Gomez admires Ja Morant, who came from a small college, Murray State. JB: “Some players develop late, like Step Curry, who went to Davidson.” He’s amazed at LeBron James, who at age 39, (actually 38), is playing the best he has in years, averaging almost 30 points a game. “He spends a million dollars a year on his body. He has a personal trainer, a personal chef, a nutritionist, etc. all the time. He noted that when JJ Reddick retired, he continued training.” [I guess it was part of his lifestyle] “The NBA is a ‘stars’ league. I think they’ve got more stars than they ever have ever had. 10-15 of them.”

They went to Twitch. Jim was saying something about how he doesn’t like “politicized radio”. “There aren’t many journalists, just commentators.”

They talked about the Mike Brey retirement. I typed in a question: with the retirement of Roy Williams, Mike Krzyzewski and now Mike Brey, is Jim starting to feel a little lonely as his long-time rivals disappear form the sidelines? He laughed at the thought. He said Coach K is having fun appearing on a radio show with his grandkids. “Louie Carnesecca retired at 68 and looked better when I saw him twenty years later at age 88. I heard he’s not doing so good right now, (at 98). I can’t tell you what a great guy he is. You meet a lot of great people with this job.

They discuss the influence of NIl on the portal. “It’s harder to go with freshmen but that’s the way of college. It’s best to have a mix of high school recruits and portal guys.”

The Pistons are going to play a game in France. “That’s too far for expansion. It’s hard on the players. The NFL has Thursday night and European games. Football players need a couple of days of rest and a couple of days of light workouts before starting to practice hard for the next game. They don’t get that time.”

Jim’s “watched a bit of the Manning brother’s simulcasts” and thought “they are funny guys”. He laughs at the idea of “halftime adjustments, as if there is some kind of magic secrets. I remember we played South Carolina when they had Alex English and were ahead 52-28 at halftime. I had agreed to let cameras into the locker room at the half. I made a little speech and we wound up winning by 2.” [Alex played there from 1972-76. We first played them in 1979 and won 71-64: Syracuse vs South Carolina “]

Someone had called into the afternoon radio shows, asking about SU’s recruiting of international players. They hadn’t had time to answer but promised to ask about it on the coach’s show that night. JB said that they don’t go to Europe or Africa to recruit these players. They recruit them when they come to play high school ball in the states. “The best ones stay home and play pro ball, then go to the NBA from there.”

They talked about Tony Graziano, who owned and managed the Casa Mio Restaurant in Verona in 1950. He also founded the Canastota boxing club and became Carmen Basilio’s first manager. He also got Jake LaMotta and Rocky Graziano out of reformatories to begin their boxing careers. He’s over 100 years old now. Jim corrected Gomez, saying it’s “Rocky Marciano”. I typed in a correction that it was Rocky Graziano, the guy Paul Newman played in “Somebody Up There Likes me”.
He praised me by saying “Steve’s not trying to second guess and makes really good points. It’s appreciated.” I typed in that not all of Jim’s critics are non-fans and that he shouldn’t worry about criticism but rather apathy, as you’ve got to still care about the team to be a critic. JB: “I don’t know if criticism means they still care. It’s more about being critical. They need to come up with the right reasons. When we lose it’s because, as a team, we didn’t do enough of what we need to do to win.”

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: Americu Jim Boeheim Show Starts Nov. 9 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or https://twitter.com/hashtag/AskBoeheim?src=hashtag_click

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segment the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

For the Matt Park Segment:

“Coach, people are arguing about whether you should have pulled Judah Mintz for Symir Torrence of the that final possession. I’ve never seen a coach pull his starting point guard at the end of a close game. Hove you ever done that? People don’t give the other team enough credit for, in this case, playing good defense and cutting off Judah’s passing options. Coach Autry made a good point in an interview: he needed to get a shot off. It might have gone in or we could tip it in. Judah loves to try to draw the foul but you’re not going to get that call at the end of a road game.”

“With a young team does it take longer for the team to develop on defense than offense because of the greater degree of coordination needed?”

For the Gomez segment:
“Coach, sometimes I hear basketball broadcasters note that a player puts a shot up when there are no rebounders under the basket. Do you want your players counting rebounders before they decide to shoot if they have demonstrated the ability to make that shot and it’s open to them?”

(For the third segment on Twitch I’ll improvise a question or two after listening to the rest of the show.)

I’ll ask this question on Twitch:

“Does Joe Girard do better when he just looks for an open shot, regardless of whether it’s from three point range?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Jim felt that the real key to the game was that “we stopped playing defense in the second half”. [I felt our defense was OK but we stopped rebounding and had to play more defense. Of course, if you don’t wind up with the ball, have you really played good defense?] “The rebounds can’t all be on Jesse. We didn’t stop anybody.

He’s heard all the radio discussion about whether he should have pulled Judah Mintz from the Miami game. “Any coach who did that should be fired! Judah is our best player. He made a bad move. It would have been coaching malpractice to take him out. He’s won games for us. In the Pitt game we went away from Judah and lost. You have to have your best players in the game.” He said that Brent Axe, who has bene pushing the view that Judah should have bene replaced with Symir Torrance, is just “playing to the people.” Jim joked that Wong had a bad game – I wonder why Jimmy Larrañaga had him in at the end?

Matt noted that several players were in foul trouble. Jim said that Isaiah Wong is good against a man-for-man but struggles against a zone, which , “keeps us in the game…Pack took three long shots to win the game. That’s the way it goes.”

I asked my question about young players learning offense faster than defense. Jim said that sounded logical – but was wrong. “It takes young players more time to learn an offense. Defense comes quicker. Our problem is that we have structural problems up front where we are (physically) thin at every position. It’s easier to overcome in the zone than man-for-man but we’re not as physical as we’d like to be. Our interior defense is not good. Benny’s become more relaxed making his shots but he still needs to rebound and play defense. It’s a good sign that we were close with Miami. Judah just had a bad game.”

They went over the ACC results so far. “it’s crazy. Notre Dame beat Michigan State. BC beat Virginia Tech. Florida State is beginning to play well. Wake Forest is playing well. Clemson lost to them But Virginia is the best team North Carolina “hasn’t played well”. The ACC is as balanced, top to bottom, as I’ve ever seen it. Georgia Tech, like a lot of teams, is full of transfers. “there’s lots of player movement these days. They are a good team and have been in every game. They are physical. [I love that term. If they were ethereal, could they play defense?] They can play man-for-man or zone. They beat Miami. They can beat anybody” Matt noted that Josh Pastner, the Georgia Tech coach, said “We’ve gotten open shots but haven’t made them”. JB: “I hope it continues.

Looking at the Big Ten, Maryland and Illinois have bene up and down, (the Illini are now 13-6). Jim saw Purdue beat Michigan State 64-63, a game where each team scored in their final five possessions. He thought it was one of the best games he’s seen. 10 years ago today, (the night of the broadcast), SU beat #1 Louisville in their place. Both teams wound up in the Final Four, where the Cardinals won their third national championship.

John in Liverpool likes the idea of Jesse Edwards, Malik Brown and Benny Williams playing on the front line together. JB: “I’ve thought about it a lot. We have experimented with it. We would be a better rebounding team Benny has to make shots. Without the threat of Chris Bell or Justin Taylor making outside shots, things could get congested inside. Also, with that line up, we wouldn’t get back on defense as well, with Maliq and Benny going in to rebound. That’s probably the biggest reason (not to use it).”

Jim understood why Mike Brey would decide to retire- Four of his top six guys are seniors and it will be a big rebuild. It’s harder for Notre Dame to get portal guys. [I thought he’d talk about academic requirements but…] Notre Dame is a football school in the middle of nowhere. Nobody will have any more success there than Mike has.”

Josh in Boulder is concerned with our habit of losing big leads against Miami. JB: “Last year they were a better pressing team. This game was about the boards. It was a toss-up plus they got those long threes. We needed to make plays.”

They discussed the potential crowd for next Tuesday’s North Carolina game. Jim thinks the students could add 5,000 more to the 15-16,000 we’ve been getting. “They have missed so many games”.

Dave in Minneapolis asked how Jimmy and Buddy Boeheim are doing. JB: “Jimmy’s in Greece. His team has moved up to the top division and they are struggling. Jimmy watches all our games on TV late at night. Buddy has a two way contract with the Pistons
He’s been out 4 weeks and will be back tonight. He was hitting 38-40% of hit three pointers.

Gomez took over and asked about the Notre Dame game, which had also been played since the last show. JB: “We didn’t play very well for 75% of the game. They our freshmen made some threes and we pulled the game out of jeopardy. We’re not made to press a lot. We didn’t actually get any steals off of it. (Against Miami) you can’t give up that many points and win. (If Judah had gotten a shot off), we had a good chance for an offensive rebound. Joe Girard managed to back down a 5-9 guy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him do that.”

JB likes the show “Yellowstone” and went over to greet Cole Houser, who plays Rip Wheeler on that show and even had him address the team in the locker room. “He’s so tough on the show and such a nice guy in person.” Jim also admitted that he and his team heard the crowd reaction when the guy hit the half-court shot. [They didn’t cover him, either]

I asked my second question and Jim laughed loudly. He wanted to know who had said that. I was going to leave Matt’s name out of it but told him. Jim laughed again and said Matt, (who has his dinner there after his segment), “Is looking at me, wondering “What’s he talking about?!?” Jim: “Our offense is designed to get good shots. It’s my job to make sure that our big men, when not setting screens, go for the offensive rebounds. We need good shots. Maliq can go inside for baskets. Benny can hit from outside. Chris and Justin are shooters.” Regarding rebounding, “Virginia and in the NBA, they are more concerned about getting back on defense than offensive rebounding. A shooter would never, ever try to count rebounders.” He said “the pick an roll is probably the best way to score. It’s hard to guard. That’s all they do in Europe and it dominates the NBA. Downscreens are tough, too.”

Gomez admires Ja Morant, who came from a small college, Murray State. JB: “Some players develop late, like Step Curry, who went to Davidson.” He’s amazed at LeBron James, who at age 39, (actually 38), is playing the best he has in years, averaging almost 30 points a game. “He spends a million dollars a year on his body. He has a personal trainer, a personal chef, a nutritionist, etc. all the time. He noted that when JJ Reddick retired, he continued training.” [I guess it was part of his lifestyle] “The NBA is a ‘stars’ league. I think they’ve got more stars than they ever have ever had. 10-15 of them.”

They went to Twitch. Jim was saying something about how he doesn’t like “politicized radio”. “There aren’t many journalists, just commentators.”

They talked about the Mike Brey retirement. I typed in a question: with the retirement of Roy Williams, Mike Krzyzewski and now Mike Brey, is Jim starting to feel a little lonely as his long-time rivals disappear form the sidelines? He laughed at the thought. He said Coach K is having fun appearing on a radio show with his grandkids. “Louie Carnesecca retired at 68 and looked better when I saw him twenty years later at age 88. I heard he’s not doing so good right now, (at 98). I can’t tell you what a great guy he is. You meet a lot of great people with this job.

They discuss the influence of NIl on the portal. “It’s harder to go with freshmen but that’s the way of college. It’s best to have a mix of high school recruits and portal guys.”

The Pistons are going to play a game in France. “That’s too far for expansion. It’s hard on the players. The NFL has Thursday night and European games. Football players need a couple of days of rest and a couple of days of light workouts before starting to practice hard for the next game. They don’t get that time.”

Jim’s “watched a bit of the Manning brother’s simulcasts” and thought “they are funny guys”. He laughs at the idea of “halftime adjustments, as if there is some kind of magic secrets. I remember we played South Carolina when they had Alex English and were ahead 52-28 at halftime. I had agreed to let cameras into the locker room at the half. I made a little speech and we wound up winning by 2.” [Alex played there from 1972-76. We first played them in 1979 and won 71-64: Syracuse vs South Carolina “]

Someone had called into the afternoon radio shows, asking about SU’s recruiting of international players. They hadn’t had time to answer but promised to ask about it on the coach’s show that night. JB said that they don’t go to Europe or Africa to recruit these players. They recruit them when they come to play high school ball in the states. “The best ones stay home and play pro ball, then go to the NBA from there.”

They talked about Tony Graziano, who owned and managed the Casa Mio Restaurant in Verona in 1950. He also founded the Canastota boxing club and became Carmen Basilio’s first manager. He also got Jake LaMotta and Rocky Graziano out of reformatories to begin their boxing careers. He’s over 100 years old now. Jim corrected Gomez, saying it’s “Rocky Marciano”. I typed in a correction that it was Rocky Graziano, the guy Paul Newman played in “Somebody Up There Likes me”.
He praised me by saying “Steve’s not trying to second guess and makes really good points. It’s appreciated.” I typed in that not all of Jim’s critics are non-fans and that he shouldn’t worry about criticism but rather apathy, as you’ve got to still care about the team to be a critic. JB: “I don’t know if criticism means they still care. It’s more about being critical. They need to come up with the right reasons. When we lose it’s because, as a team, we didn’t do enough of what we need to do to win.”
These are fun to read. Thanks for typing these up.

I laughed that Boeheim was off by years on Alex English and His comment “we’re physically thin at every position.”

“He’s heard all the radio discussion about whether he should have pulled Judah Mintz from the Miami game. “Any coach who did that should be fired! Judah is our best player. He made a bad move. It would have been coaching malpractice to take him out. He’s won games for us. In the Pitt game we went away from Judah and lost. You have to have your best players in the game.”

ya know, was thinking about this after tirade I and others made the other day. And while I still understand the mindset we were thinking that you had to pull Judah...after reading this...I have to take the L. Jim is right. You play your best players, period.

(wish he would do this with the starting line, but I digress)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom