The Jim Boeheim Show - before NC State | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before NC State

SWC75

Bored Historian
(There has been no articles giving details of this year’s Jim Boeheim show. I had to call into the radio station to find out that the first show will be tonight. I’ll assume there has been no changes since last year. No schedule had been posted but the show is usually on a Thursday unless there is a game or a holiday that night.)

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show will likely start out on Zoom and not be at a local restaurant. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, we have four guys in our starting line-up who can make three pointers and two more on the bench. We also have some outstanding passers. Yet we are 233rd in the country in three-point shooting percentage with 32%. Ten teams average 40% or better, led by Baylor with 44%. Why aren’t we better from outside?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

JB: “It’s difficult having two mandatory days off this week and none next week because of the schedule….Virginia will be one of the top 5 teams in the country.” (If they keep playing us.) “They had two starters who played 5 minutes last year and another who didn’t play at all.” (Thus their slow start.) “Most teams don’t play more than 7 guys. Butler and Villanova play 6 guys. We’d like to play Jesse. People don’t see practice. You don’t just give playing time – it has to be earned. Jesse had a couple of good practices and one good game. Then he was in and out. Bourama hasn’t practiced in 8 weeks He still not running and jumping as he needs to. He was out 4 weeks then had four good practices then couldn’t practice….We haven’t found a rhythm from the three point line. We’ve cut down on the ones we take. They shot it real well. Being out-rebounded by 15-16 rebounds as we have in every loss is hard to overcome but we’ve been lose in three of those games. We don’t have a physical center. I would love to have Bourama but it didn’t happen. We’ve battled but some teams overpowered us.” That was all in answer to a question about having two days off this week and none next week.

Matt said that “North Carolina has never bene a great match-up and Virginia is a Top 10 team.” JB: “W e don’t follow what the fans say but no fans like it when you lose. If they are upset that we lost to Virginia they will never be happy. Virginia has the best center in the league and some good shooters.” Matt said “Coaches are not in position to experiment with their lineups. What’s the point of giving a player a minute or two.” JB: “I stopped listening to this stuff years ago. Michael Jordan isn’t going to do much in 1-2 minutes. How are you going to take Marek or Quincy out of the game for 15 minutes? If we had somebody there who could help us, we would.” He admitted that “Kadary struggles against Virginia but is a good player….Buddy’s 27%, (from three) translates to 43% from two. He’s actually 47% from two. That’s what most teams shoot. He’s been a little off but is still scoring 15 points a game. Joe bounced back. He looked the best he’s looked all year against Miami. He’s struggled for two games. He scored 30 against NC State last year….We aren’t stopping people because of our weakness inside. Against Virginia Tech we played well on defense but not offense in the first half and were up by 6. Then we stared to play well on offense and blew them out. We just haven’t shot as well as we we’d like to, although our offensive efficiency is pretty good and we are averaging more points per game than we have in a few years. It’s hard to overcome -15 in rebounds.”

That was the perfect lead-in to my question. JB: “You proved your own point. I guess we don’t have those shooters you thought. I would think we should be at 36-37%. Two more threes a game and we’d be there. Maybe we’re just not a good enough shooting team, at least not consistently. We’re taking fewer threes and trying to get inside more. But the defenders stay outside with Joe and Buddy and that gives us more room inside. It allows us to be a pretty good team. We’re just not a really good team. We do more shooting in practice than any team in the country. Joe and Buddy and Alan take hundreds of threes. Buddy started out hitting 17% as a freshman. Then he hit 40%. It’s important for us to make more threes for us to win on a consistent basis. If we can’t, we have to try to find another way to score. But it’s hard against a big team.”

I asked him if the lack of center impacted our shooting. Maybe we don’t have enough of an inside game? JB: “We go inside to Quincy. Even Virginia didn’t double-team him. They didn’t want to leave a shooter open. It’s 100% true that we haven’t shot it well. But we haven’t bene missing wide-open threes. They’ve bene contested. But we’re still averaging 78 points a game. Scoring hasn’t really been a problem. Two more threes wouldn’t have won (some of) these games. Our defensive rebounding is not good enough. Our defense is slightly better than last year.” Matt said that KenPom has moved us from 116th to 60th. He said that there are many factors in our shooting, including the quality of the shots. JB: “We’ve gotten good looks and the right guys taking them. They just aren’t making them as much. Virginia is going to make 9-10 threes against us anyway. 3-4 of them were off of defensive breakdowns. A couple were the guard spots but most were corner jumpers in the wing area.

“The bottom line is that we aren’t playing well enough to beat a team like Virginia. The real problem is that people know Bourama is out but ignore that and expect us to beat Virginia anyway.” (How does he know- he stopped paying attention to that stuff years ago.) “Bourama was great at the end of last year. Take Huff away from Virginia and see how they’d do. We struggled to beat Bryant, Northeastern and Buffalo. With a center we’d have beaten them by more. Champagnie isn’t a center but he was able to dominate us because we don’t have one. So did North Carolina and Virginia. Virginia Tech had a center but he got in foul trouble, we played him well and he had an off night. We’ve been hurt inside. Marek is just 185 pounds. We haven’t bene able to overcome that. If Bourama could give us 20 minutes, it would give our team a big lift.”

Josh in boulder felt that having three guards who can do different things was like having two quarterbacks, one a drop back passer and the other an option runner. How do you handle that? JB: “No, that’s not a problem. You need three guards. You can easily play three guards. Dion Waiters didn’t start. Two guards are not going to get it done. Our guards have played OK. They just haven’t shot it well. Their defense has improved. We are still averaging more than we have in ten years.

Jason on twitter asked if a line-up of Jesse, Marek, Quincy, Alan and Kadary might be better if Joe and Buddy aren’t hitting their shots. JB: “Taking threats out is not a viable option. You just can’t coach that way. It doesn’t work. Alan is not a guard. He’s having trouble playing defense as a forward. The 2 and 3 are similar offensively but totally different defensively in the 2-3. He’s practiced at guard but isn’t comfortable there. You can’t take a shooter out of the game.” He described Steph Curry and Klay Thompson breaking out of slumps with great runs. “Buddy had 18 at the half against North Carolina. He didn’t score in the second half but we went inside to score. He drew their best defender, which opens things up for Quincy and Marek. He had 9 points at halftime against Virginia. You don’t know that he’s not going to get more. A shooter can go 3 for 8, which is 36%, (37.5%) and the last two might have come at the end. You don’t take shooters out just because they aren’t making shots.”

They went over the ACC, including our next opponent, North Carolina State, whose leading scorer, Devon Daniels, tore his ACL last night. JB: “He just stepped wrong. It’s especially tragic for a senior having a great year. It’s a bad thing to see.” They beat Wake Forest anyway, 77-67. “Wake played really well. They are a ‘tough out’. Their new coach is doing a really good job. NC State still had D.J. Funderburke and Manny Bates. Both are very physical players.” (We have metaphysical players.) “Bates is the best shot blocker in the league.” (We’d better hit jump shots.) “They’ve got guys besides Daniels who can score.” Matt noted that Shakeel Moore and Cam Hayes are both averaging 7 points a game. JB: “They are really good players who just haven’t had a chance to play. Now they’ll get to play.” (Imagine that!) Louisville, who we will play twice in two weeks, lost to slumping Clemson 50-54. “All these teams are good but nobody’s great. There’s a long list of teams right in there. We can be one of them. Miami and BC have been hit hard with injuries.” (We’re done with the Canes but will play the Eagles in a month.) Florida State beat Miami 81-59. “Virginia and Florida State are really good. People thought we weren’t playing a really good team but we were.”

Matt said that there’s been several “bumps along the way” with interruptions and injuries. JB: “You’ve got to play on through them. We had our worst half ever at Pittsburgh but then came back to win the next two games.”

Matt asked for a Super Bowl prediction. “Brady is great but he won’t beat Mahomes. He’s just too good. He moves, he sees everything and he can throw it.”

They should officially rename that show Gaslighting With Coach Boeheim

I agree with him that losing Bourama 4 minutes in has had a dramatic impact on the season. But I don't see why we can't hit a lot more than 32% of our threes or why our shooters are such a threat to the other team if we can't.

Steph Curry and Klay Thompson do come out of games! His take on minutes distribution and playing time is transparently ridiculous. He should be playing Jesse in the middle and Woody or Braswell at the wing every game.

Someone needs to remind him on one of these shows that guys like Melo didn’t even play 40 mpg! It is demonstrable that over the past decade he’s started playing guys (even mediocre or one dimensional players) way more minutes than he used to. He’s regressed as a coach in this and other areas.

my preferred condiment from here out whenever JB says something
1611928098994.png

By his logic if Joe and Buddy are a combined 0 for 12, they will be due to hit their next one and it will start a run, totally ignoring the fact that the poor shooting probably contributes to being in a deficit

Shooting is a valuable asset but its not the only part of the game
he literally thinks they are Steph and Klay from the Warriors

By his logic if Joe and Buddy are a combined 0 for 12, they will be due to hit their next one and it will start a run, totally ignoring the fact that the poor shooting probably contributes to being in a deficit

Shooting is a valuable asset but its not the only part of the game
he literally thinks they are Steph and Klay from the Warriors

It's the same mindset as a degenerate gambler.

"Michael Jordan isn’t going to do much in 1-2 minutes."

But he might do enough to play 1-2 more, and 1-2 after that, and maybe even 1-2 AFTER THAT!

Especially if Michael Jordan is subbing in for people hitting like 25-30% of their threes and not doing a whole of other stuff.

"Jason on twitter asked if a line-up of Jesse, Marek, Quincy, Alan and Kadary might be better if Joe and Buddy aren’t hitting their shots.

JB: “Taking threats out is not a viable option."

A threat to do whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat exactly?

lol

Last edited:
"He had 9 points at halftime against Virginia. You don’t know that he’s not going to get more."

Hmmmm, I think we should have a more extensive list of things we don't know. Like, did we know if Bobby Bras was about to hit 4 in a row in the second half?

We should work more off what we do know.

buddy's #2 in the ACC in trey attempts and #71 in 3 point %. that's an issue worth addressing.

It seems like there are at least 69 people doing something wrong as you can't know if you're going to make more of them if you're not shooting more, and therefore they must not be shooting enough?

Ultimately, they are not finding out if they could make more and that's just inefficient offense.

I understand some of the points JB is trying to make. The big problem though, is the concepts he's trying to employ are not scalable from the elites, just down the chain to every other basketball player that exists.

Steph Curry and Klay Thompson do come out of games! His take on minutes distribution and playing time is transparently ridiculous. He should be playing Jesse in the middle and Woody or Braswell at the wing every game.

Someone needs to remind him on one of these shows that guys like Melo didn’t even play 40 mpg! It is demonstrable that over the past decade he’s started playing guys (even mediocre or one dimensional players) way more minutes than he used to. He’s regressed as a coach in this and other areas.
Quite a while ago I posted the minutes played for guys like DC, Owens, Douglas, etc. Those guys certainly played a lot of minutes, as they should have, but not as many as we see guys play now. Somehow player of the year candidates came out of games.

Michael Jordan played 31.7 mpg his junior year at UNC, and that was the most he played there.

Quite a while ago I posted the minutes played for guys like DC, Owens, Douglas, etc. Those guys certainly played a lot of minutes, as they should have, but not as many as we see guys play now. Somehow player of the year candidates came out of games.

Michael Jordan played 31.7 mpg his junior year at UNC, and that was the most he played there.
When we had DC, Owens, Douglas, Stevie — we were blowing teams out. Didn’t have to scratch out wins. Same for Michael Jordan at NC - his NC teams were winning easily, he can let the subs finish.

‘Also depends on who your next 2 or 3 guys are on the bench. How much drop off from the starters?

What he’s forgetting is what happens when he subs and they come in and play well? Woody came in and knocked down three threes in a row. He also plays the wing well, rebounds and blocks shots. Something Buddy and Joe never do. It’s hard to know the impact they can have if they don’t even get a chance to play well. We know who's currently playing are not cutting it. His thinking is asinine. .

"He had 9 points at halftime against Virginia. You don’t know that he’s not going to get more."

Hmmmm, I think we should have a more extensive list of things we don't know. Like, did we know if Bobby Bras was about to hit 4 in a row in the second half?

We should work more off what we do know.
Exactly. Why does this faulty logic apply to Buddy but not to Bras, who had that game where he hit those 3's in the first half, then rode the bench all second half!
Jesse plays well and contributes one game, has an I guess "bad" practice, and watches Marek get big-boyed in yet another pathetic loss.
How about a concept of "Oh isht, this crap ain't working- we're getting shredded! So...let's try something else" for a change, Jim?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom