The Jim Boeheim Show- before Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before Notre Dame

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: Americu Jim Boeheim Show Starts Nov. 9 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or https://twitter.com/hashtag/AskBoeheim?src=hashtag_click

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segment the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

(modified after I listened to: Twitch 1:06- 1:16)

For the Matt Park Segment:

“Coach, Fran Fraschilla did the color commentary for the Illinois game and he said a couple of things I’d like to get your reaction to:

- He said, as Illinois pulled away, that this game was a game between two rebuilding teams, one of whom rebuilt with the transfer portal and one of whom rebuilt with freshmen. Given that you don’t know if freshmen will stay in your program, isn’t the portal the best way to assemble a veteran team? What does this school and community need to do to become competitive in the portal?
- He also said that you had told him that “If I was 50, I’d be in the NBA right now”, due to the state of college basketball.”

For the Gomez segment:

“Coach, how did Joe Girard go from scoring 31 points against Richmond to going 2 for 25 in his next three games? I know he was 8 for 13 inside the arc in the 31 point game, 2 for 11 since.” If Joe isn’t hitting, couldn’t we got with Symir Torrence, who looks to pass and Judah Mintz, who looks to score in the backcourt together?

(For the third segment on Twitch I’ll improvise a question or two after listening to the rest of the show.)

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Tonight I’m going to stick to the comments related to my questions and the SU basketball team. I’ll do a follow-up tomorrow on other subjects that came up.

Matt asked the Coach how practice was after the big loss at Illinois and the three game losing streak. JB: “Practice was alright. We had good movement…It was a crazy thing. No offense.” [None taken] “It was a five point game with 8 minutes to go.” [It was 37-50 with 8 minutes to go. It was last 5 at 14:25.] “Our defense was pretty good. We rebounded pretty well. They pressured us and we went too fast. The freshmen’s first real road game was difficult. They can make those shots. They’ve pushed up on Joe since the Richmond game. benny is settling for jump shots. Jesse is rebounding the heck out of the ball. We’ve got to do better on offense. Against Bryant we fought to get back into the game and then gave up that last shot. It was a crushing loss. They were playing against 5th year seniors. Freshmen never do well in that situation. Demetris Nichols hit 17% [34.7%, 23.6% from three] his first season and Buddy did that at the beginning of his freshman year. Chris and Justin are shooting 30% (41.7/31.3 and 36.7/40.0). “We’ve got a freshman point guard. We need more consistency from Joe and Benny.” [Actually, they’ve been pretty consistent.] “We’ll get better. Notre Dame has 4-5 fifth year seniors. Georgetown is really talented….Nobody’s happy. The critics give up. The fans don’t.”

I called in but only got the first part of the first question out before JB went off and I got cut off, (He was even asking me if I thought St. John’s was a good team but I wasn’t there anymore.

About Fraschilla’s comment that it was a game between a rebuilding team that used transfers and one that used freshmen, he had earlier said on Orange Nation that recruiting the top players in the portal was all about the money they could get through NIL: “We had to recruit freshmen. We didn’t have NIL. We got 6 freshmen to go with 4 veterans. If we’d gotten a portal forward what do we do with the 3 freshmen forwards? If we brought a guard, what do we do with the two seniors and a freshmen we have back there. We’ve got Jesse at center. It would have been difficult this year. But there’ll be movement at the end of this year. This was not a year for the portal.”

He repeated that “I like Fran but we think differently. He wants Judah Mintz at the ‘2’ – but who would play the point?” he laughed. Later, during the ”Twitch” segment I pointed out that Symir Torrance could play the point with Judah and Jim said they’d used them together. The problem is, neither is much of an outside shot. “St. John’s is a good team. They used transfers. But we played better against them. If you don’t play well on the road, you’ll get beat. Our young kids were not ready for Illinois. Don’t base the season on one game.”

Matt looked at the box score and saw that the Syracuse freshmen played 90 minutes and the Illinois freshmen played 75 minutes. JB: “But one of them was 0 for 10 from the field.” [I have Illinois’ five freshmen with 76 minutes in which they had 13NP. The five freshmen that played for us played 91 minutes and had -3NP. That means that their non-freshmen played 124 minutes and produced 67NP while our non-freshmen played 109 minutes and produced 16NP, so it was more on the veterans than the freshmen.] “They figured to be a top 10 team. Why were matched up with them? We’re supposed to be 6th or 8th in our conference.” [Per Lindy’s, we are supposed to be the 12th best ACC team and Illinois is the 7th best Big Ten team.] “But that’s the way it works in the ACC. It’s silly. There’s no way we should play them.”

Jim played 11 players in the first half of that game. Notre Dame used 6 against Michigan State. “We’re not normally going to play more than 8-9. If you’ve got 5-6 good players, you’re going to stick with them for consistency.”

They answered some inquiries from the restaurant, one of which was about Justin Taylor. “Justin is a good shooter and better at other things [than Chris]. He can become a scorer. He has a great future in the game. Chris and Joe got open looks and Judah got to the basket but couldn’t finish.” Can we get some ‘one and done players?” Matt wondered if it’s better to get four year players. JB: “You can hold them if they aren’t NBA players or if they need to develop into one. That’s the best kind of player to have. Those that are good for four years and then they are great.”

He added that “We’ve used transfers for year.” Matt said it’s an advantage “not to have to project what you’ll need a year from now as you did with guys like Andrew White and Elijah Hughes”. JB: “Those guys could have played right away. You don’t got to the portal to get back-ups. The great players get NIL. We have to develop guys. It’s way too early to think that it’s the end of the world.” [Phew...] “We’ve got to get more competitive in NIL in the future. Some are stepping up.”

Pat “20 Plus” had called into Orange Nation earlier in the week alleging that Jim didn’t get out on the recruiting trail enough and Paulie had asked Jim about that on the show today. CNY added: “We just had a Top 15 class. Why would you say we didn’t recruit? It was a young team, not ready for Illinois. We need to get Joe better and develop the freshmen.”

Josh in Boulder asked if being ejected against Bryant had impacted Judah’s game against Illinois. “That didn’t affect him. They sped him up and he played poorly.” ON Joe Girard, “Joe let the offense dictate to him.” [I’m guessing he meant the defense’.] “ He didn’t want to take the technical. He’s not a great defender, rebounder or passer. He has to score or he becomes disengaged. He’s been out of it since the second half against Richmond.” [Actually, he scored 10 points in that half – and 9 since.] “He’s transitioned to the 2 and is comfortable there. Judah is the point guard.” Jim compared his to Pearl Washington, Sherman Douglas and Johnny Flynn. Sounds good to me. “people criticize me or Joe or Judah. It’s a basketball team, not one guy.”

On Jesse’s rebounding: “He’s going to the ball, learning to be aggressive and go after every ball.

Out next opponent, Notre Dame, beat Michigan State by 18 “and it wasn’t that close”. But “State was down two starters and had just flown back from the west coast and that’s very difficult.” They weren’t the same team. And Not re Dame made 8 of their first 9 threes.” Matt pointed out they have JJ Starling and Jim added “he’s playing with 4-5 fifth year players”. [He said nothing about Starling himself.]

Georgetown “is one of their more talented teams. They have good size, are athletic and can score. “ [That might be a problem for us.] “They haven’t played well yet and neither have we.”

Brian in Clayton asked why we aren’t using picks when we inbounds the ball. JB: “You don’t use picks on inbounds plays. We uses flashes.“ [Somewhere, G-Rob is smiling.] “We don’t lose the ball often. We made some mistakes last year. We run more screens than most teams. We run high middle ball screens and the pick and roll.”

Is the team in a “good frame of mind”? JB: “The only thing that puts a team in a good frame of mind is winning. The team isn’t discouraged. Last year the team didn’t get discouraged. It just wasn’t good enough on defense. This year’s team isn’t discouraged. They just aren’t good enough on offense- yet. But our ‘D’ is pretty good. We need to improve on offense. St. John’s and Bryant are good teams and we lost two guys against Bryant. For two years in a row Colgate has sot it well. Other teams have missed the same shots against us.“

Gomez took over and they talked about time this time of year. Gomez thinks it goes fast because of the holidays. Jim thinks it goes slow because of all the hard work and even slower “when you aren’t playing well. We got nothing in the basket. You’ve got to score on the road. We hung in there for a long time. Then they hit two threes and the game was over because we couldn’t match that.”

What does Joe need to do to have shots he can make? “Try to make a play. Get into the lane. He wasn’t aggressive enough. He’s a scorer and he needs to get back to that. Judah and Joe need to play well on offense. The forwards have to pick up their games. If we’d played better we could have lost by more like 70-60. That’s what you’ve got to expect on the road. That we hung in as long as we did is amazing. Benny knows where he should be. He’s standing a lot on the perimeter. We need him inside, not spotting up for jump shots. It’s a slow process.”

I called back in to ask about the second Fraschilla quote. Jim laughed “I was joking. It’s difficult in college but the NBA has its problems, too. It’s still fun to coach college ball. No coach likes NIL btu we’ve had good success with transfers.” I joked that they never seem to change anything to make the coach’s job easier. “Coaching is still the same once the season begins. With young players it would be difficult. I understand the reasons for the portal and NIL but they aren’t being utilized in a good way. NIL is outside of the university. There is no connection. We are using our foundation. They players have to do charitable work. They’ve been doing it for years and have never been compensated before. Now they can and it doesn’t take money away from the charities. We’ve raised $100,000 for Make-a-Wish and $75,000 for Boys and Girls Clubs.”

Someone asked about pessimism. “Don’t be pessimistic. Negative people aren’t successful. You’ve got to think positively. We think we can play better and we will. Critics abandon ship pretty early. There doesn’t have to be a leak. Big changes aren’t always possible so you make small changes. The season is never over. There’s along way to go. We’ve had a lot of bad starts and still made the NCAA’s.

The Twitch segment began and the sound was almost indiscernible. They kept making adjustments. At times it sounded like those voice alterations they make when disguising who is being interviewed.

- John Bol Ajak “knows how to plug holes in the zone but he struggles to score.
- “Torrence and Mintz have played together quite a bit. Both are good penetrators but we need one good shooter.”
- I pointed out that Girard was 8/13 inside the arc when he scored 31 points. “Joe couldn’t get any shots at all. He hasn’t made 2’s or 3’s in a slump. 3’s count more so we want him to shoot 3’s.
- Someone asked if Derrick Coleman could be brought in to work with the big men. “DC can’t work with the players unless he’s on the coaching staff. He can talk to them, but he yells at that. That can be constructive, in a way.” [JB can be ‘constructive’, too.]
- Is Coach “happy with ball movement and passing now?” JB: “No…Illinois was overplaying and using pressure. You have to create your shot.”
- Can Jesse help the team as a passer? “They haven’t doubled him that much. When he gets more productive, they will.”

Gomez asked if JB would have a celebratory dinner after being inducted into SU’s “Ring of Honor”? “If we don’t get better, I’ll be eating at home”.

We run more screens than most teams. We run high middle ball screens and the pick and roll.”

I have been an SU fan since 1989 and this statement is laughable. We have never been a good screening team, and it’s just gotten worse as the tailspin started. The only exception may have been the Rautins- Arinze-Wes team, but I think that was more due to the players IQ than any system JB devised.

For years, my friend called the SU offense “the no-motion offense” - so much 1 on 1 and hero ball. As has been noted here many times, without the same type of players that we used to have, this just does not work.

One of the many puzzling things JB said on the show - I know JB says things but man it seems like he is watching a completely different game than the rest of us.

It just keeps getting worse. This has to be the last year…

JB can develop players all day long and as soon as they develop another team with NIL $ will take them away.
If we want good players we have to be willing to pay for them.

JB's comments are discouraging. It's clear he's mailed it in, even if he doesn't recognize it. In the '80's or '90's could we have ever imagined him sounding so lackadaisical about getting stomped by the 16th ranked team or losing to multiple unranked OOC teams? He attempts to explain each loss away as if it's an isolated incident, and if we only had one that would be ok. But we don't, and we're not getting beat by juggernauts.

JB can develop players all day long and as soon as they develop another team with NIL $ will take them away.
If we want good players we have to be willing to pay for them.
What's crazy is that he may actually think we can take the player development route. That hasn't worked for us for almost ten years. As soon as a guy begins to develop, he leaves before we can benefit from the development.

What's crazy is that he may actually think we can take the player development route. That hasn't worked for us for almost ten years. As soon as a guy begins to develop, he leaves before we can benefit from the development.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I read it. Just look at the last few years as soon as the season ended.

JB's comments are discouraging. It's clear he's mailed it in, even if he doesn't recognize it. In the '80's or '90's could we have ever imagined him sounding so lackadaisical about getting stomped by the 16th ranked team or losing to multiple unranked OOC teams? He attempts to explain each loss away as if it's an isolated incident, and if we only had one that would be ok. But we don't, and we're not getting beat by juggernauts.
On the one hand, I agree with Jim that the teams they have lost to are strong, all will probably win their leagues and make the NCAAT. On the other hand, Jim said this is one of the best classes he has ever recruited. Now I can understand that early in the season with so many new and freshman pieces the results could be less than desirable, but if this class is what he advertised, when are they going to stand up. They got everything that any frosh class could ask for, starting roles, playing time opportunity to get more PT. It's on them to turn this season around. If they do, their stock will go thru the roof, and if they don't, their opportunity to showcase their talent will be gone.

Excellent as always but does anyone even take coach comments seriously anymore?
Yeah as someone said...its more sad at this point.

the whole bit about criticizing individuals and it being a ”team” is precious as he’s used his pressers to crap on specific players in the past couple of years and ignore others.

C'mon...the answer is simple.
All he's saying is that The Orange just have to make some shots.

Do agree though on Justin Taylor having a great future (and pretty good present) and that developing 4 year players is the best way to go (good luck getting them these days).

It is probably better to stay away from these shows or summaries. We pretty much know what JB will say.
Unless you haven’t watched the games, you also know this team is limited except for Edwards and Mintz. At best it is a work in progress, with young guys who might be OK in their 3rd years, maybe next year if we are lucky.

It is a tough message when JB says we will not land starters from the portal without more NIL help. Don’t like it but he isn’t wrong.

On the one hand, I agree with Jim that the teams they have lost to are strong, all will probably win their leagues and make the NCAAT. On the other hand, Jim said this is one of the best classes he has ever recruited. Now I can understand that early in the season with so many new and freshman pieces the results could be less than desirable, but if this class is what he advertised, when are they going to stand up. They got everything that any frosh class could ask for, starting roles, playing time opportunity to get more PT. It's on them to turn this season around. If they do, their stock will go thru the roof, and if they don't, their opportunity to showcase their talent will be gone.
I know JB said he thinks this may be his best class. I just think that may be a case of JB saying things. Getting Coleman and Thompson together, Flynn and Greene together, Melo, Edelin, and GMac together are all better. Those classes were smaller but the players were just better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom