The Jim Boeheim Show - before Pittsburgh II | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Pittsburgh II

SWC75

Bored Historian
(There has been no articles giving details of this year’s Jim Boeheim show. I had to call into the radio station to find out that the first show will be tonight. I’ll assume there has been no changes since last year. No schedule had been posted but the show is usually on a Thursday unless there is a game or a holiday that night.)

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show will likely start out on Zoom and not be at a local restaurant. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, you complained about Marek not taking enough shots. Are we getting the ball to Marek as much as we should? Is he doing enough to get open? Does playing him at center make it more difficult to get him the ball?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

We’ll play Pittsburgh again this weekend. JB: “Pitt is playing well. They are a good basketball team.” Matt said that Pittsburgh “will have a stronger roster than they had in the Dome”. I though he meant that Justin Champagnie would be back but he’s still out. Pitt hasn’t played since they played us due to cancelations. They are getting back “2 big freshmen in the front court and a transfer named Nike Sibandi who is a good shooter.” That would be appear to be a reference to 6-10 230 Max
Amadasun, who last played on 12/12 against Gardner Webb and had played a total of 5 minutes, getting 2 points but no rebounds, 6-8 210 Noah Collier who last played against Louisville on 12/22, who had averaged 1.1 points and 1.1 rebounds to that point or 6-9 240 John Hugley, who also last played in the Louisville game and who had averaged 5.1p/4.3r. Sibande also hasn’t played since Louisville and was averaging 5.5ppg.

“North Carolina was a difficult game. You can overcome a rebound deficit but you’ve to avoid mistakes and make your shots. We missed a couple of wide-open threes that could have given us a different ending.” Matt said that “Everybody gets out-rebounded by North Carolina.” JB: “An 8-10 deficit we can live with. With -17 it’s too many. They had 5 on one possession. But we had too many turnovers. They had a 6-10 guy trying to guard Quincy and that’s why he was able to score 21 points.” Matt noted that “the amo0unt of time you play defense can wear you out.” JB: “They rotate big, strong guys.” Matt asked if UNC was the “the best team at running off the break”? Jim agreed but said that “We’ve always been good at getting back. But we have had problems the last 10 games or so because they have bene so much bigger than us.

“Marek was tired for three days before the game. I’m not making excuses for him but he just didn’t have energy. He had only one rebound and I want him to score. He made 3-4 great passes. He’s a premiere level passer for a big guy. He’s just over-matched when he has to go up against guys 50 pounds heavier. Jesse is not any stronger. We don’t gain anything with him in there. Bourama will not be back any time soon. His knee is OK but he has arthritis pain. Frank is not in the protocol but has a physical problem and won’t be back for a week – and he won’t be ready then.”

“Joe has got to get more offensive minded. He needs to make more threes.” (?!?) “Our inside defense and rebounding weren’t good enough. We have to battle better in there. We don’t have the physical strength we need. We need Bourama, playing at a high level. Our offense is good without him, probably better. But we need him on defense and on the boards. I like the way we are moving the ball. We’ve bene ahead in all three games that we lost. We are moving the ball well and getting a lot of assists, just not enough stops and rebounds.

At this point I called in my question about Marek not getting the ball, backing up the point by saying that in the last three games he’d played 115 minutes, attempted 15 shots and passed for 7 assists. JB said “we’re getting him the ball more than ever, especially the last 2-3 games. We are starting the offense through him. He’s getting it but not taking advantage of his opportunities. He should take 2-3-4 more shots per game. Against Boston College he started out with 2-3 straight buckets. Nobody’s telling him to do anything different. He’s got to feel comfortable that he’s getting good shots. He’s invaluable on defense and the boards, (or unvaluable?) and the best 6-10 passer in the country. He can draw the opposing center away from the basket. He’s driving to the basket and then not shooting.“

Matt suggested that Marek’s European background was a factor in his playing style. JB: “A little bit. There is more outside shooting there. He was a guard and grew. He’s the only European player I’ve seen who doesn’t shoot it well.” Hey coach, remember Kristoff? You found the only two Euros who can’t shoot. Matt said that he’d read my question when I sent it in through the SU site and looked it up and that Marek gets the ball on about 70% of our possessions.

Matt brought up the fact that 4 of our 5 starters are 80% free throw shooters but we are having trouble getting them to the line. JB: “They are jump shooters. We’re not a team that’s going to get to the line a lot. That’s personnel.” That’s the dilemma of basketball: the best jump shooters tend to be the best free throw shooters but they get fouled less so they take fewer free throws. The guys who drive to the basket to score often do so because they aren’t good jump shooters, which probably means they aren’t good free throw shooters and they are the ones who get fouled… “You can’t just say “Go Drive! That’s not the game. Buddy can drive but he avoids contact and gets a good shot. Some teams like UNC keep their hands up and make you shoot a tough shot.”

Matt asked about some positive tests that the Georgetown team had. JB: “Their whole team was negative after the game. Teams have played 80% of their scheduled games. We’re on pace for everybody to play between 21 and 24 games. The differing numbers will make the tournament committee’s job difficult.“ Matt passed along a suggestion from Jim Satalin: have everybody play in the tournament. There would be a round of play-in games to get it to 256, then in three rounds you could get to 64. Jim thinks that wouldn’t work due to the Covid concerns. Should coaches be involved in the selection process? “Retired coaches should be hired to go around the country and watch games and advise the committee.” Sounds like a good job for JB! “Comparative scores don’t work. My biggest fear is Covid striking a team in the final 8 or four. What do we do- postpone or exclude that team? If Gonzaga can’t play than whoever wins isn’t the champ. Nobody can beat Gonzaga. Michigan and Baylor are really good but Gonzaga is 10-15 points better. I’ve not seen a team as far beyond the rest of the field since UCLA 40+ years ago. Villanova was dominant in the tournament a couple of years ago but they weren’t dominant all season. They are beating top teams by 20-30 points. I’d be very sad if they were deprived of playing for the national championship.”

“The teams we’ve played are pretty good. Bryant is 9-2 and the other team that beat them they beat by 30 points.” Matt said that their net rating was #85. “We really played fairly well against them. Northeastern was a good team. They’ve had a couple ups and downs. They could win their league. Buffalo WILL win their league and that’s a good league. They won their last two games by 25-30 points.”

Virginia Tech upset Duke. “They are a really solid team. They have a good big guy and are physical. They can shoot it. Duke doesn’t have their normal quality. Florida State destroyed NC State 103-73. They play 11 guys and they come at you the whole game. Virginia is better on offense and they are emerging. They could win the conference. We’ve got 6-7 teams at the top that we’ve got to fight our way through. Boston College it 19 threes and crushed Miami. And their leading scorer didn’t even play. Our BC game was an anomaly We had a great night and they were horrible.”

They got an E-mail from Matt in New York. How do you determine who you want on the court at the end of a close game? Do you want shooters, defenders, free throw shooters? JB: “With us it’s 6-7 guys. We play our best guys. Joe would get the call over Kadary based on free throws, although Kadary isn’t bad. We don’t have a defensive center to put in. if we did, he’d probably be a bad free throw shooter. Kadary would be in if we want to press. Woody’s getting closer to full strength so he could be part of the press, too.”

Matt said that the SU women will have to play 8 games in 4 days. JB suggested it was 4 games in 8 days. Matt checked and that was correct. JB: “I’m more upset about all the practice time we’ve lost, developing rhythm and good habits.”

Tom in Syracuse called in to ask about our substitution pattern. He noted that Joe had “an extended sit out and then played well while Buddy seemed to get tired. You’ve got some guys on your bench who don’t hurt your team.” JB, (politely): “Buddy wasn’t tired. He had their best defended on him and had two shot that went in and out. Most teams play 6-7 guys. Kids can play minutes. We’ll play Robert Braswell and one of our young centers. Kadary is making good progress. His playing time is dependent on how well he plays. Pitt lays off of him and makes him shoot it.”

Matt noted that there will be no fans at Pittsburgh, usually a place where they are very loud and intimidating. JB: “It’s strange everywhere. You can embrace the noise. We won six road games last year.”

“Joe has got to get more offensive minded. He needs to make more threes.”

Oh, he needs to get MORE offensive-minded and just make more threes? LOL.....

We are screwed.

Also, what do you think Kadary (and literally any other guard recruit) is thinking when he says this.

make your shots.

Marek was tired for three days before the game.
Bourama will not be back any time soon.
Frank is not in the protocol but has a physical problem

“Joe has got to get more offensive minded. He needs to make more threes.”
We need Bourama, playing at a high level.
I like the way we are moving the ball.

….just not enough stops and rebounds.

Buddy wasn’t tired. He had their best defended on him and had two shot that went in and out. Most teams play 6-7 guys. Kids can play minutes.

Make your shots!

Apparently Marek gets tired - whilst not in games. JB is crafty.

That sounds bad on Bourama.

We need him playing on any level - high would be nice though.

Sounds like Frank is tired too.

Make your shots, Joe!

Make your shots!

Make your shots, Joe!

BTW, most of his commentary would be the equivalent of, if you were in a foot race and not winning, your coach coaching you by saying "run faster!".

That's where we are. Oh, just make MORE shots? Well why didn't I think of that?

BTW, most of his commentary would be the equivalent of, if you were in a foot race and not winning, your coach coaching you by saying "run faster!".

That's where we are. Oh, just make MORE shots? Well why didn't I think of that?

Agree. I usually don't pay much attention to what JB says. But some of this "JB just says stuff" is getting to be a bit too much even for me.

As the winning percentage decreases, the ability of the fan base to blindly accept what have long been... shall we say interesting responses, becomes harder to tolerate. What used to be the positive "JB being JB" is starting to turn into an ugh.

"Most teams play 6-7 guys"
ok, Jim, ok.
love that he keeps trotting that one out
And then says FSU plays 11 guys and comes at you the whole game. Well, isn't that the point? Shouldn't you want to come at the other team the whole game? I would think, based on how we play guys, that FSU would have a huge drop off when guys 8-11 are in the game.

"Most teams play 6-7 guys"
ok, Jim, ok.
love that he keeps trotting that one out
I guess it depends on how you define play as in quality minutes. Looking at box scores of recent games most teams play 7 guys over 10 minutes.

JB, (politely): “Buddy wasn’t tired. He had their best defended on him and had two shot that went in and out. Most teams play 6-7 guys. Kids can play minutes. We’ll play Robert Braswell and one of our young centers. Kadary is making good progress. His playing time is dependent on how well he plays. Pitt lays off of him and makes him shoot it.”

So JB saw that UNC had changed their defense pattern, meaning one of his most potent offensive weapons wasn't effective, and just rolled with it, because 'spacing'?

These rationalizations from Jim are getting harder and harder to defend. Maybe that's why Townie72 hasn't been seen in these parts in an age.

Make your shots!

Make your shots, Joe!

Making your shots is definitely better than not making them. Getting points for putting the ball in the basket was Naismith's first idea and probably his best one. Everything else gets better when we do that, (see the Boston College game).

The thing is you've got to have a plan B and that' s rebounding and defense. It shouldn't come down just to whether are making your shots.

I think our chances of being curious, rather than nervous on selection Sunday disappeared when Bourama went down 4 minutes into the season. It also hurt us not to have the usual fall blow-out games where everyone gets to play. that and the lost practices have hurt the development of the back-up big men. Then there's the dilemma that you want Marek, Quincy and AG on the court and if you put in a true center, the coach's son has to sit. Finally, it's obvious that Kadary would make a better point guard than Joe and that Joe could be an instant offense guy off the bench. But JB traditionally has put his shooters in the game and preferred just solid players who can not hurt the team coming off the bench. Also, this should be an outstanding pressing team but...

Last edited:
Making you shots is definitely better than not making them. Getting points for putting the ball in the basket was Naismith's first idea and probably his best one. Everything else gets better when we do that, (see the Boston College game).

The thing is you've got to have a plan B and that' s rebounding and defense. It shouldn't come down just to whether are making your shots.

I think our chances of being curious, rather than nervous on selection Sunday disappeared when Bourama went down 4 minutes into the season. It also hurt us not to have the usual fall blow-out games where everyone gets to play. that and the lost practices have hurt the development of the back-up big men. Then there's the dilemma that you want Marek, Quincy and AG on the court and if you put in a true center, the coach's son has to sit. Finally, it's obvious that Kadary would make a better point guard than Joe and that Joe could be an instant offense guy off the bench. But JB traditionally has put his shooters in the game and preferred just solid players who can not hurt the team coming off the bench. Also, this should be an outstanding pressing team but...

Concur. It's definitely been an odd season, but I think everyone was hopeful we would have a tiny bit of depth at the 5 even with Sid. With Sid down it's really been taxing - at least against UNC to see what a different team we could be with some post play/size/rebounding/etc.

I'm not that emotionally tied to Marek any more - if I could trade him for a mildly competent wide-body that could rebound I'd roll with the rest of those guys! :)
That's not meant as a shot on Marek btw, just more the roster and the pieces we have.

"They are getting back “2 big freshmen in the front court and a transfer named Nike Sibandi who is a good shooter.” That would be appear to be a reference to 6-10 230 Max
Amadasun, who last played on 12/12 against Gardner Webb and had played a total of 5 minutes, getting 2 points but no rebounds, 6-8 210 Noah Collier who last played against Louisville on 12/22, who had averaged 1.1 points and 1.1 rebounds to that point or 6-9 240 John Hugley, who also last played in the Louisville game and who had averaged 5.1p/4.3r. Sibande also hasn’t played since Louisville and was averaging 5.5ppg."

Then there's the dilemma that you want Marek, Quincy and AG on the court and if you put in a true center, the coach's son has to sit. Finally, it's obvious that Kadary would make a better point guard than Joe and that Joe could be an instant offense guy off the bench. But JB traditionally has put his shooters in the game and preferred just solid players who can not hurt the team coming off the bench. Also, this should be an outstanding pressing team but...
Those minutes will not come at the expense of Buddy's time. If Sidibe was healthy and productive, AG will be coming off the bench, just like in the first game of the season. Buddy won't be the one to sit in that scenario, and justifiably so, IMO. Further, JB has, and always will, play only the players he trusts and even then, he will only play the players he trusts the most in end of game situations.

Those minutes will not come at the expense of Buddy's time. If Sidibe was healthy and productive, AG will be coming off the bench, just like in the first game of the season. Buddy won't be the one to sit in that scenario, and justifiably so, IMO. Further, JB has, and always will, play only the players he trusts and even then, he will only play the players he trusts the most in end of game situations.
I was glad to see Jim acknowledge that the offense wouldn't be as good if Sid were fully healthy.

I was glad to see Jim acknowledge that the offense wouldn't be as good if Sid were fully healthy.
I hear you, but I'm not so sure that would be the case. This is assuming that Sid was developing enough to present some type of interior scoring threat, especially with Marek at the high post and Q demonstrating that he is a threat from 3.

I hear you, but I'm not so sure that would be the case. This is assuming that Sid was developing enough to present some type of interior scoring threat, especially with Marek at the high post and Q demonstrating that he is a threat from 3.
I know he takes some off schedule shots, but taking Alan off the floor reduces our offensive threat.

yeah and it seems like a lot of ppl forget - our best offensive lineup, healthy Sidibe or not, is with Marek at the 5...

but alas there's defense in basketball too
It would be interesting to see how we'd do if Sid was fully healthy. I could almost see Sid and Marek subbing for each other exclusively. Up's the D while leaving shooters on the floor when Sid is in, and another passer and driver when Marek is on the floor.

It would be interesting to see how we'd do if Sid was fully healthy. I could almost see Sid and Marek subbing for each other exclusively. Up's the D while leaving shooters on the floor when Sid is in, and another passer and driver when Marek is on the floor.
it's how I had kind of envisioned things preseason... sad face

it's how I had kind of envisioned things preseason... sad face
If Sid is healthy, it will be Sid and Marek on the floor at the same time. Marek will slide to the 5 when Sid sits. Not commenting on whether that is the best use, only that this is what I think/know JB will do.

If Sid is healthy, it will be Sid and Marek on the floor at the same time. Marek will slide to the 5 when Sid sits. Not commenting on whether that is the best use, only that this is what I think/know JB will do.
eh yeah that lineup is big but not nearly as good offensively esp w the spacing created w Marek at the 5

eh yeah that lineup is big but not nearly as good offensively esp w the spacing created w Marek at the 5
Probably not. But JB is going to JB when Sid returns to full health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom