The Jim Boheim...errr...Beoheim Show (11/19/18) | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boheim...errr...Beoheim Show (11/19/18)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, everybody is trying to figure out what this team needs to do to get back on track. We obviously need Frank Howard back and for Oshae Brissett to get back to scoring those double-doubles. But what about the defense? Why are we suddenly giving up 80+ points per game?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

It doesn’t take much to get Coach Boeheim going and all Matt Park had to do was ask him about the next opponent, Colgate and the first 15 minutes of the show were fully programmed. “Colgate is a very good, much improved team that gave us a tough battle last year. It was never much more than 6-8 points, (we won 72-58). Ferguson hit those 6 threes. They’ve got a lot of guys who can shoot….we need a tough game, not an easy game right now, a game where they make you work and execute. You have to find out what you have to do better.” (We don’t know already?!?)

“It’s difficult to beat anybody in a shooting slump. We have four pretty good shooters and they are all struggling. We should be much better. I’m shocked at the lack of shooting. We had 3-4 wide open threes up 10-6 and none of them were close. Connecticut pressured us and Oregon had that zone with the two big guys. You’re not going to get a lot of lay-ups against Oregon….Connecticut made 12 of 21 threes against us, 4-5 of them from at least 5 feet beyond the college line. Then they went 4 for 21, (actually 4 for 26), against Iowa and all the ones they made were right at the line. ”

“We’re not moving as well on defense when we need to. Offense can affect defense. Last year our defense saved us. Not this year, so far….It was 22-22 when we had two breakdowns and suddenly we’re down 22-28. It’s hard to come back… You’re not going to get a lot of turnovers against good teams. I don’t know if better defense will create more offense.”

“Frank Howard is back at practice. Now we can do things we should have bene doing 5 weeks ago. It’s been a bad 4-5 weeks of practice and the first four games. It doesn’t matter if you win. We haven’t played well yet. Tyus was out of position. Oshae has not been playing at the level he can play. Elijah Hughes is a little rusty. We’ve wasted a lot of time.”

“Duke is so talents. They’ve got 3 of the top 5 draft picks next year and a really good point guard – one of the best in the country.” They blew out San Diego State tonight in the Maui Classic 90-64. “San Diego State is a really good team- they are favored to win their league. And Duke didn’t even play that well.” Matt wondered where Bol Bol might be drafted. “Top 5-6, although he’s thin. We should have bene more physical with him. We aren’t playing physical enough.”

I called in and made the mistake of spelling out Coach B-O-E-H-E-I-M’s name, thinking it would create an atmosphere of mirth. It did not. “That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of. The people writing the columns must be crazy. So they spelled it worn. Who cares? Haven’t people got better things to do?”

I moved on very quickly to my question. Since Coach had already basically answered it, I narrowed it a bit to ask what impact the return of Frank Howard would have on the defense. JB: “Frank Howard is a very good defensive player. He led the ACC in steals last year. You probably know that, (I didn’t), but most people don’t. He understands what we are doing. The new guys are just learning it. (Without Frank) these have been the most unproductive 6-7 weeks we’ve ever spent here. Tyus had to play out of positon. Frank knows where the openings, the opportunities are. We still need to shoot the 3 better. You’re not going to beat Oregon’s zone without shooting. We don’t have an effective inside game. If we’d played really good defense would we have won- I don’t know. It’s on me, the coaches and the players.”

Michael in Charlotte said that JB’s defensive scheme is “undisputed” and “outstanding”: “You’ll fix it up.” He then asked what Jim’s offensive philosophy was and how the current personnel fit into it. JB: I fit my philosophy to the personnel. We have shooters- they are just not shooting. We’ll drive to the basket and create movement with different sets. We like to get the defense spread out and get to the foul line. We run some plays. Driving and getting to the foul line is what we do best. When you do that the defense moves in and you get more wide open threes.”

Matt said that early in the Connecticut game, the refs were calling a foul “every 13 seconds”. Does that impact the flow of our offense? Jim wanted more calls made. “”They stopped calling fouls in the second half….we have to make shots. There’s only so many things a coach can do. It’s a long year if you don’t make shots. We fought hard against Connecticut. We got it back to within 4 and they hit a couple of long threes. Against Oregon we didn’t get it going. Our fans were great, trying to get us going. We’ve won 14-15 tournaments over the years and usually been in the finals. We’ve never lost 2 games in a row like that. Frank is good on both ends of the floor but Jalen Carey had a real positive game. But you can’t expect a freshman to lead the team. Tyus had a bad weekend. Missing shots gets to you sometimes.”

Josh in Boulder noted that Fran Friscella had suggested that Oshae play center for us. Josh thought it was a good idea, saying that Carmelo Anthony and Otis Hill had played center for us and they were 6-8. JB: “That’s why Fran isn’t coaching anymore and is a color commentator. Carmelo never played center for us and Otis Hill was 6-8 245. Oshae is 6-8 210. I think of a lot of possibilities but I never Imagined Oshae as our center. Our centers are good and will play better. Oshae needs to score more. He’s really a small forward….we’ve already talked about it too much.”

Pat (20Plus) called in asking what the rotation in the backcourt would be when Frank comes back. JB: it will be Frank, Jalen and Tyus plus Buddy if he’s shooting well. The forwards will be Oshae and Marek, who has played well. He needs to take more than one shot in 17 minutes. Tyus could play the 3 in some situations. Then we’ve got our centers.” He didn’t mention Hughes but I assume it was an oversight.

Matt asked Jim for his comments on our football team. JB: “They’ve made a quantum leap. It’s tough to put a freshman in there against Notre dame. If Dungey had stayed in the game, he could have caused problems. Notre Dame is ranked #4. We might not been able to beat them anyway. Everybody who picked the team to win 5-6 games are now made that they haven’t won more than 8. I looked at all the pre-season predictions and I didn’t see anyone predicting 8 wins. They have a lot of really good young players- at quarterback, running back, receivers, on defense. I couldn’t be happier with the job the coaches and players have done.”

Eddie in Rome asked Jim what color commentators for basketball he likes. “Vitale is interesting. Bill rafter is really good. (Somebody- Jennings?) is smart. There’s some over-the-top guys but they are fun.”

Binghamton made a half-court shot to take the lead against Colgate at halftime, (the Raiders came back to win 76-68 and are now 4-1 on the season). “It’s a crazy game”.

On the Chiefs vs. the Rams: “A great game. They say rookie quarterbacks can’t play but Mahones is incredible. The LA guy is good too, as is that 40 year ln in New Orleans.“

Don in Auburn wondered if Coach would play to see tiger Woods against Phil Mickelson. JB: “I’ll pay to watch that. Tiger has made a great comeback this year. He’s driving the ball much better. As long as he’s healthy….he’s lost some prime years. He’s got a 2-3 year window. It’s hard for older golfers to win. “

Someone named Jackie (at the restaurant or through a tweet), asked where Jim liked to play away games. She liked Providence and Rutgers, (Rutgers?). JB: “Duke is exciting. Pitt and Louisville are good.” We’ll be traveling to Ohio State who “has great facilities. Their coach is good. They will be good for a long time.”

Matt noted that Jimmy Boeheim is having a good season at Cornell. He’s averaging 16.5ppg and shooting 57% from the field. Maybe someday Buddy can put up numbers like that.

Program note: the Next Show will be on Thursday, the 29th and they will settle into the normal Thursday slot for the rest of the season except for when there is a game on Thursday, as there is on January 24th. They will announce the date of that week’s show the previous week.

“Frank Howard is back at practice. Now we can do things we should have bene doing 5 weeks ago. It’s been a bad 4-5 weeks of practice and the first four games. It doesn’t matter if you win. We haven’t played well yet. Tyus was out of position. Oshae has not been playing at the level he can play. Elijah Hughes is a little rusty. We’ve wasted a lot of time.”
this is the point i've been pounding on since the first game

It’s on me, the coaches and the players."
good to know ;)

if the offensive philosophy is drive and dish then maybe we should recruit players who can actually do that. instead we have combo of players who cant get by their man and those who do are terrible at passing once they draw the help defense.

Good to know Frank Howard is apparently the only thing capable of saving this team from being an absolute dumpster fire?...

“(Without Frank) these have been the most unproductive 6-7 weeks we’ve ever had here..”

Good to know Frank Howard is apparently the only thing capable of saving this team from being an absolute dumpster fire?...

“(Without Frank) these have been the most unproductive 6-7 weeks we’ve ever had here..”

He was saying that it's hard to prepare a team for the season with your point guard out and multiple players playing out of position.

He was saying that it's hard to prepare a team for the season with your point guard out and multiple players playing out of position.
Oh, I get it... It’s just a little worrisome that we seem to be so admittedly dependent on one player.

if the offensive philosophy is drive and dish then maybe we should recruit players who can actually do that. instead we have combo of players who cant get by their man and those who do are terrible at passing once they draw the help defense.

Yeah this is worrisome. This is not some complex scheme and Jalen is passing to the same players Frank would be. He knows what few plays we run. The other players just choose to do the ISO rinse ‘n repeat time wasting dribbling exhibitions. Nobody moves the ball. Streaky shooters. It’s a skill and scheme issue more than Frank being out. Sure his presence his missed but this “offense” being broken without Frank? It already is!

Yeah this is worrisome. This is not some complex scheme and Jalen is passing to the same players Frank would be. He knows what few plays we run. The other players just choose to do the ISO rinse ‘n repeat time wasting dribbling exhibitions. Nobody moves the ball. Streaky shooters. It’s a skill and scheme issue more than Frank being out. Sure his presence his missed but this “offense” being broken without Frank? It already is!
Agreed - I expect an uptick for sure when Frank gets back, and who knows, maybe we get next level with our talented senior point guard back leading the team... That being said, the drop off between with him/without him should not be a team that doesn’t even look capable of making the NIT.

Agreed - I expect an uptick for sure when Frank gets back, and who knows, maybe we get next level with our talented senior point guard back leading the team... That being said, the drop off between with him/without him should not be a team that doesn’t even look capable of making the NIT.

Yup, it’s the “drop off” from an already horrendous offense. Just doesn’t add up all this chaos and discombobulation in an already simplistic scheme with these returning players. I guess I’m not that surprised. Maybe more with the lack of effort and lack of improvement it seems across the board.

These are my favorite quotes from the show...
Because of these quotes, I think this was one of the most informative shows Boeheim has done. (Thank you, SWC, for writing this up!) It tells us how important Frank is to our offensive scheme, and that while we were all drooling and waiting for the season to begin, our team was having bad practices and Boeheim was concerned. Here we were ranked as high as we have been in 5 years (4?) and Coach is seeing a “team” that is lost in practice. That must have been rather uncomfortable.

He was being very honest and I am sure that he and the assistants are all in on getting Frank back up to speed and the rest of the team as well. But we only have one game before Ohio State next week. You could also see that his pride may have been hurt (I know mine was) by his statement that we are used to WINNING these pre-confererence tournaments. Regardless of how much returning talent a team has, they still need to practice together to remember and reproduce that play.

Glad he called out Marek and said that he should take more shots, like he did at the end of the year.

Yup, it’s the “drop off” from an already horrendous offense. Just doesn’t add up all this chaos and discombobulation in an already simplistic scheme with these returning players. I guess I’m not that surprised. Maybe more with the lack of effort and lack of improvement it seems across the board.
His answer to me basically implied to me I don’t recruit offensive skills I recruit for my defense.
As if your philosophy on offense is to adjust to the talent you don’t have an offensive philosophy.
We know his defensive philosophy and I did get a chuckle from him saying the D will be fine. We don’t run plays as he said outside of a ball screen. There is no movement for plauers without the ball.
Shooting is no doubt important but you need a system.

His answer to me basically implied to me I don’t recruit offensive skills I recruit for my defense.
As if your philosophy on offense is to adjust to the talent you don’t have an offensive philosophy.
We know his defensive philosophy and I did get a chuckle from him saying the D will be fine. We don’t run plays as he said outside of a ball screen. There is no movement for plauers without the ball.
Shooting is no doubt important but you need a system.

Do you honestly think Battle, Brissett, Carey, Buddy, and Hughes were recruited just for defense?

JB is all about the hyperbole. He can be so predictable with his responses. Obviously the injuries have slowed our progress, but other important work could/should have been done during our guards absence. Even he admitted we had open looks against Oregon and couldn't make them. My biggest concern truly is that we didn't have any energy. Shots will fall eventually and Frank will help both the defense and offense, but we looked flat and uninterested. Oshae should have gone to the rim at will against UCONN, and settled for bad jumpers. He also forgot how to rebound. How does Franks absence change that? He was awesome in the first two games, and just didn't come to play imo. Did the guys go out on the town and just have lasting hangovers?? At least that would explain it a bit...

Last edited:
Look we all know that JB doesn't give a straight story ever. Some of the things he says he believes 100%, other stuff he says is total hyperbole, and other stuff is outright made up. Tough to tell which is which in this show report (thanks for the writeup SWC). But I continue to dislike how he never takes responsibility. He came close by say "it is on me" but had to add "and the players."

Couple other observations:
The guy studies the game, there is no way that he doesn't realize that this offense is forcing good shooters into bad shots and that's why we have the worst 3pt% in free world. Of course he knows this, right? He gives no indication in this interview that he knows that, but he absolutely must.

As for the "least productive 6 weeks." OK, I can see that as a ray of hope - what he is saying is this is not the product we intended to put on the floor and it will get better. Perhaps it is how he says it, but again, how could he let it be the least productive 6 weeks ever? Injuries are part of the game and have been for all 43 years of his coaching career. I can't imagine there is no way to account for a single guy being out of practice for a couple weeks. He's making it sound like, they just fold up the tents and mothballed the program for a month and a half because Frank was injured. Not exactly a good look. As a thought exercise, imagine telling your boss something like that because you had an employee out on maternity leave.

Do you honestly think Battle, Brissett, Carey, Buddy, and Hughes were recruited just for defense?
I think Buddy is a role player. He was recruited to develop and be an Andy Rautins.
No problem with him.
I wasn’t high on Hughes years ago. I didn’t think his offense was good which is why I didn’t want him. He has been okay and made some shots so on a curve that makes him better.
I thought he was recruited for the zone.
He is playing out of position. He isn’t a forward he is a guard who is taller thus he is playing the wing.

Carey excites me as offensive threat but again if we have no system what the hell can he do till he gets more comfortable with the college game.

Battle is a good player but again his offense is all ISO and that is hot/cold.
We don’t scheme anything to get him easy looks. He makes tough shots when he hits them.

Brissett was special last year but again he is shooting too many 3’s and that according to JB is our offense. Just make them when Brissett can actually post when he tries but we don’t have that as part of the offense.

We recruit for defense first.

Look we all know that JB doesn't give a straight story ever. Some of the things he says he believes 100%, other stuff he says is total hyperbole, and other stuff is outright made up. Tough to tell which is which in this show report (thanks for the writeup SWC). But I continue to dislike how he never takes responsibility. He came close by say "it is on me" but had to add "and the players."

The guy studies the game, there is no way that he doesn't realize that this offense is forcing good shooters into bad shots and that's why we have the worst 3pt% in free world. Of course he knows this, right? He gives no indication in this interview that he knows that, but he absolutely must.

As for the "least productive 6 weeks." OK, I can see that as a ray of hope - what he is saying is this is not the product we intended to put on the floor and it will get better. Perhaps it is how he says it, but again, how could he let it be the least productive 6 weeks ever? Injuries are part of the game and have been for all 43 years of his coaching career. I can't imagine there is no way to account for a single guy being out of practice for a couple weeks. He's making it sound like, they just fold up the tents and mothballed the program for a month and a half because Frank was injured. Not exactly a good look. As a thought exercise, imagine telling your boss something like that because you had an employee out on maternity leave.
I think your right JB isn’t stupid and watches the game which is why it’s so frustrating that he doesn’t try something to help the offense. Have the players motion and don’t let the defense just setup and face guard their guy. Move, set multiple screens, back cuts, anything to help us score in the half court.

I think Buddy is a role player. He was recruited to develop and be an Andy Rautins.
No problem with him.
I wasn’t high on Hughes years ago. I didn’t think his offense was good which is why I didn’t want him. He has been okay and made some shots so on a curve that makes him better.
I thought he was recruited for the zone.
He is playing out of position. He isn’t a forward he is a guard who is taller thus he is playing the wing.

Carey excites me as offensive threat but again if we have no system what the hell can he do till he gets more comfortable with the college game.

Battle is a good player but again his offense is all ISO and that is hot/cold.
We don’t scheme anything to get him easy looks. He makes tough shots when he hits them.

Brissett was special last year but again he is shooting too many 3’s and that according to JB is our offense. Just make them when Brissett can actually post when he tries but we don’t have that as part of the offense.

We recruit for defense first.

You never really answered my question. You just pulled a JB.

You never really answered my question. You just pulled a JB.
I don’t think anyone but Carey was recruited for offense.
I am not going to say Buddy was recruited for offense. He was recruited because he was a solid player and his dad wanted him on the team. No problem at all he is worthy of playing at this level he just needs the Andy Rautins development path.
We don’t recruit for offense first though IMO.
Battle and Brissett fit the zone. I think that was why they were priorities.

I can see how it would be pretty unproductive preparing an offense that will necessarily be nothing like what it will be for the majority of the season.

Would love to hear the answer to this question -
"Mr. Boeheim - Why do you use the centers on pick and rolls when are guards.forwards never ever throw the ball to them?"

You do know all three of our point guards were hurt, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom