The Landscape has Changed, an Uphill Battle... | Syracusefan.com

The Landscape has Changed, an Uphill Battle...

Ish88888

All American
While this Probably belongs on the recruiting board, I feel more of us will see it here. The last week or so has really opened my eyes to just how many recruiting battles we are losing and have lost. I get it, every program has multiple disappointments in recruiting every year. That said seeing UB place 2-3 kids in the top 100 pro prospects, constantly losing battles to G5 teams, and currently having 1 commit for 2019; has gotten my attention. Looking at 247 sports and tracking who we have offered, i see 90% "cool" and about 10% "warm" when it comes to interest levels.

Recruiting has always been tough, but never tougher for a P5 school like us. We have zero advantages over a G5 and one might argue that it makes more sense attending a G5. Early playing time, coaching on par, playing vs. Comparable talent, and as much, if not more TV games. That's tough to beat.

The dome isn't what it used to be, our locker rooms have a band aid until the big reno happens, the IPF is average at best, still lacks the finishing touches, and the silver seated bubble in the sky , as much as i love it and have defended it, needs that face lift for these reasons alone.

Love Dino and his staff, but all the charm in the world as well as football acumen and having an atttactive system to play in; isnt going to get it done without the help of a bright, new, natural light and hip dome. Add in local food and beverage and electronics and AC. Recruiting for the .500 or worse P5 is tougher than ever.

Last edited:
While this Probably belongs on the recruiting board, I feel more of us will see it here. The last week or so has really opened my eyes to just how many recruiting battles we are losing and have lost. I get it, every program has multiple disappointments in recruiting every year. That said seeing UB place 2-3 kids in the top 100 pro prospects, constantly losing battles to G5 teams, and currently having 1 commit for 2019; has gotten my attention. Looking at sports and tracking who we have offered, i see 90% "cool" and about 10% "warm" when it comes to interest levels.

Recruiting has always been tough, but never tougher for a P5 school like us. We have zero advantages over a G5 and one might argue that it makes more sense attending a G5. Early playing time, coaching on par, playing vs. Comparable talent, and as much, if not more TV games. That's tough to beat.

The dome isn't what it used to be, our locker rooms have a band aid until the big reno happens, the IPF is average at best, still lacks the finishing touches, and the silver seated bubble in the sky , as much as i love it and have defended it, needs that face lift for these reasons alone.

Love Dino and his staff, but all the charm in the world as well as football acumen and having an atttactive system to play in; isnt going to get it done without the help of a bright, new, natural light and hip dome. Add in local food and beverage and electronics and AC. Recruiting for the .500 or worse P5 is tougher than ever.

My stance on going to the acc was this: is it worth leveraging the brand in hoops to chase football money. Well, in the end, they probably felt they had no choice. But honestly, we’ve never spent like a big-time program and it’s hard to imagine we ever will.

So hopefully we can moneyball our way into some solid seasons but I find it hard to be a diehard football guy knowing our chances of being truly relevant (at least unless things shift dramatically) are extremely slim. As in not 0% but but probably not much more than that, IMO.

P-5 College football and basketball are businesses. The days of student-athletes are fading away. We mostly have athlete-students. You might not aspire to wear gold chain necklaces and diamond earrings, but that does not mean that bling is not important to the kids we are recruiting. If we want an edge we have to win but how do you win without highly rated recruits? Wowing them with bling-like facilities is one way. It most recently worked for Wazoo. There are no guarantees that it would not be throwing money down a rat hole, but reality is that we have been stuck in a deep rut for a very long time.

I’m hoping that we’re not losing. I’m hoping that we’re holding out, but I’m definitely getting nervous. I’m not panicked yet, but I’m definitely nervous.

Is it Dec 19 already?

No, but let’s not pretend that we weren’t rubbing Rutger’s nose in it when they were in this position last year. The only difference is they started getting recruits before now.

I’m hoping that we’re not losing. I’m hoping that we’re holding out, but I’m definitely getting nervous. I’m not panicked yet, but I’m definitely nervous.

I had the same attitude til this week. The recruiting sites arent very promising . Hey, maybe this staff pulls it off late. Just looking at the general landscape...its rough...these kids sign with G5 schools liking the exposure they will get and just as easy to get drafted, maybe easier.

If there were ever a 76ers version of "Trust the Process" in college football, it's Babers at Syracuse.

Yeah we have an uphill battle. Not new news. And we're in far more recruiting wars now than we had been post McNabb.

So we will lose a large majority of them, but we're also winning kids - and getting transfers of legit talent from Oklahoma and Michigan State - that we weren't even sniffing before.

The Dome is still different. But it won't be getting as hip and shiny as the Xboxes at the University of Oregon. Not sure what new insight you got into recruiting, but nothing has changed in the past year or two to affect Syracuse's odds of building a winning culture or not.

we dont have a lots of slots this year so were being more selective

I've splashed water on my face and repeated this in the mirror every morning since like March.

I don't know a thing about recruiting - barely pay attention to anything other than the excitement of others here for newly recruited athletes. I don't understand what happens in the trenches to get good recruits here.

I don't understand why players with big dreams wouldn't want to play here. We have an amazing coach and an opportunity to be center stage against top talent nationally. Regardless of which side of the ball you play on opportunity abounds. If the intent is to get to the next level as a college athlete I don't see why we wouldn't be an attractive option.

While this Probably belongs on the recruiting board, I feel more of us will see it here. The last week or so has really opened my eyes to just how many recruiting battles we are losing and have lost. I get it, every program has multiple disappointments in recruiting every year. That said seeing UB place 2-3 kids in the top 100 pro prospects, constantly losing battles to G5 teams, and currently having 1 commit for 2019; has gotten my attention. Looking at sports and tracking who we have offered, i see 90% "cool" and about 10% "warm" when it comes to interest levels.

Keep ur chin up. We havnt done thus well in recruiting in 20 plus years. The last two classes have been very strong and this year is looking exceptional. Not sure who or what site you follow but we are doing well.

Keep ur chin up. We havnt done thus well in recruiting in 20 plus years. The last two classes have been very strong and this year is looking exceptional. Not sure who or what site you follow but we are doing well.

Not sure how this year is looking exceptional? Please elaborate. TY.

images

I follow recruiting a pretty fair amount, probably more than I should, and I follow several teams along with 1 in particular. One thing that has struck me about Syracuse is that Babers seems to have a lot of high 4* and some 5* players on his radar while the other schools have a few but really seem to be concentrating on the mid to high 3*, and getting commits.
While of course I don't know what school really has who on their board, I just found it odd that Cuse still had that many high * players they were after. The only reason that it stuck out to me was the shorter recruiting season with the December signing period.
It all boils down to, whoever your school is, we are fans and when the commits aren't coming every couple of weeks, we panic.

I think Babers will do just fine.

To that point, I get the feeling hat the staff is bullish on this season and is slow playing it with higher profile guys, rather than taking players with cuse and some other non P5 offers now. If they perfom well this season, then December-February should be interesting.

Higher risk, higher reward. Besides you can’t compete with mediocrity in the ACC. Could be a truly kick ass season if receivers develop, new Lbackers are studs and we finish strong in Nov.

Yeah.. We shoulda bagged some recruits this past camp.. The sky is not falling. Last year, maybe recruits didn't care about the 4-8 season. Maybe they do, this year. Don't think they don't know we beat Clemson. Coach Lewis and Lynch were terrors on the recruiting trail. That needs to be restored. Dome is getting the lift. The locker room's are better than I thought. Take the tour, for yourself.

Forgive me Ish... We have every advantage over G5 schools. For starters, the scholarship is guaranteed. Every recruit knows it. Only 65 schools. They might get a national game, and compete in one of the top divisions of all college football. That counts. Come off the cliff... You think a recruit wants to go against schlub #238(G5), or a kid that's getting his name called in the draft?

Kids got it in the 80's and 90's... 2002 to 2012 big east was turds... That's over. Dome is getting a lift. I'm concerned with slower recruiting this year, too.. Not concerned about the long term in the slightest...

Syracuse will always be behind the 8 ball when it comes to recruiting for a number of reasons that have been discussed at length and those waiting for top 25 recruiting classes I will go as far to say that you will never see them here.

Recruit for your system, find raw potential and develop with coaching and solid S&C program, and when we have teams with solid seniors and 4th year junior types we will see success. It's the only way that Syracuse will be successful. Again, recruiting will never be what some hope for and it doesn't matter who the coach is. Have to wait and see what this class looks like but I expect it to look much the same as the last 2, which for me is just fine. Again, there are no miracles here nor will there ever be. Just need solid numbers from top to bottom and more depth. It's not and easy job top be the head coach at Syracuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom