The last 8:30 | Syracusefan.com

The last 8:30

swish7

All Conference
Probably just torturing myself, but UM just wrestled this away from us. So frustrating!
1673964270137.png

In 38 seconds, from 8:33 to 7:55 an 8 point leads is whittled to 3.
  1. Chris Bell foul leads to 2 UM FTs
  2. Girard turnover leads to a UM layup
  3. Justin Taylor foul leads to 1 UM FT
From 7:55 to 6:56 we toy around w a 3-4 point lead

At 6:38, a UM offensive rebound lets them close it to 1.

For the next couple minutes, we we trade buckets, until at 3:54 a Mintz turnover leads to UM getting 2 buckets in a row and going up 1.

At 3:18, Justin Taylor hits a well guarded 3 that puts us back up 2.

But, honestly, for the last 5 minutes we had not stopped much, and this continues. Miller from UM gets an offensive board at 2:59 (off his own miss, and over Jesse who did not box him out and then fouls Miller). This led to a Miller game tying bucket and the go-ahead FT. This was the ball game. Jesse should have had that ball. Miller is like 6"s shorter.

From 2:39 to 1:58, there is just a mad battle for control of the game. UM weathers it and ultimately goes up 3.

Even though we got to within 2 again, the game was kinda over.

I wish we did not put ourselves in a situation where a turnover here and there (or 5) mattered as much as they did. But, if you cannot rebound, or handle a muscular big, man, you just give up so much control in a game.

Looking at the offensive rebounding over the course of the game
  1. SU had 16 - 8 in the 1st half, leading to 1 dunk & 2 FTs & 8 in the 2nd half (1 came w time running out), leading to 5 scores
  2. UM had 16 - only 3 in the 1st half, leading to 2 FTs, but 13 in the 2nd, leading to 6 scores (a few 3s too)
If we limit their offensive boards in the 2nd, like we did in the 1st, we control the outcome.

Looking at fouls, and the FT differential surprised me bc I thought we were getting the calls, in the 2nd half,
  • UM had 7 (4 in the 1st 7 mins & none in the last 4 &) &
  • SU had 12 spread evenly throughout the half
Mintz reminds me of the football kids I coach in lacrosse, who cannot figure out when to pull back as opposed to run through someone.

Last edited:
When for half the 2nd half the only one to make jumpt shots is Bennie you are in trouble. if Joe just goes 2-7 from 3 the rest of the game we are in good shape.

Probably just torturing myself, but UM just wrestled this away from us. So frustrating!View attachment 224216

In 38 seconds, from 8:33 to 7:55 an 8 point leads is whittled to 3.
  1. Chris Bell foul leads to 2 UM FTs
  2. Girard turnover leads to a UM layup
  3. Justin Taylor foul leads to 1 UM FT
From 7:55 to 6:56 we toy around w a 3-4 point lead

At 6:38, a UM offensive rebound lets them close it to 1.

For the next couple minutes, we we trade buckets, until at 3:54 a Mintz turnover leads to UM getting 2 buckets in a row and going up 1.

At 3:18, Justin Taylor hits a well guarded 3 that puts us back up 2.

But, honestly, for the last 5 minutes we had not stopped much, and this continues. Miller from UM gets an offensive board at 2:59 (off his own miss, and over Jesse who did not box him out and then fouls Miller). This led to a Miller game tying bucket and the go-ahead FT. This was the ball game. Jesse should have had that ball. Miller is like 6"s shorter.

From 2:39 to 1:58, there is just a mad battle for control of the game. UM weathers it and ultimately goes up 3.

Even though we got to within 2 again, the game was kinda over.

I wish we did not put ourselves in a situation where a turnover here and there (or 5) mattered as much as they did. But, if you cannot rebound, or handle a muscular big, man, you just give up so much control in a game.

Looking at the offensive rebounding over the course of the game
  1. SU had 16 - 8 in the 1st half, leading to 1 dunk & 2 FTs & 8 in the 2nd half (1 came w time running out), leading to 5 scores
  2. UM had 16 - only 3 in the 1st half, leading to 2 FTs, but 13 in the 2nd, leading to 6 scores (a few 3s too)
If we limit their offensive boards in the 2nd, like we did in the 1st, we control the outcome.

Looking at fouls, and the FT differential surprised me bc I thought we were getting the calls, in the 2nd half,
  • UM had 7 (4 in the 1st 7 mins & none in the last 4 &) &
  • SU had 12 spread evenly throughout the half
Mintz reminds me of the football kids I coach in lacrosse, who cannot figure out when to pull back as opposed to run through someone.
Taylor didn’t touch that guy, let alone foul him.

Yeah, crazy.

I also felt like UM carried the ball a few times which was not called and led to transition buckets.
Yeah, never going to worry about that because Judah carries all the time as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom