The latest all encompassing recruiting thread | Syracusefan.com

The latest all encompassing recruiting thread

Just curious - what have you read that makes you so optimistic? Not saying they won't be great, enquiring minds want to know.

Tuazama’s a man child. Optimistic that one day Babers gives him a nickname like he did Slayton with “3tech”. Anyone that’s seen him on the sideline will tell you he’s a big man. To that point, Caleb’s a monster too.

Rondi’s got a mean streak and just needs to pack on the additional size, he came in and really impressed the staff his freshman year.

Munoz was a big pickup from Miami, whatever the Canes explanation may be. I dont think he breaks the two deep next year but he’s a high ceiling DL from top notch HS competition.

all in all we’re more thin than we’d like to be at DT, butwhat the staff has landed has been quality imo. What we need is continuity at LB to help plug.

Tuazama’s a man child. Optimistic that one day Babers gives him a nickname like he did Slayton with “3tech”. Anyone that’s seen him on the sideline will tell you he’s a big man. To that point, Caleb’s a monster too.

Rondi’s got a mean streak and just needs to pack on the additional size, he came in and really impressed the staff his freshman year.

Munoz was a big pickup from Miami, whatever the Canes explanation may be. I dont think he breaks the two deep next year but he’s a high ceiling DL from top notch HS competition.

all in all we’re more thin than we’d like to be at DT, butwhat the staff has landed has been quality imo. What we need is continuity at LB to help plug.
The question is how much weight these DT's have put on.

The question is how much weight these DT's have put on.
This is it all day long. They need enough strength and mass to occupy that part of the line. Blue if they add the weight I am with you but we need to see that happen first.

I respect how Dino addresses weaknesses and tries to directly recruit to the weakness. seems like it’s obvious he is searching all necessary avenues to find quality ACC bigs through transfers, juco, out of the country, etc. I would like him to also find some similar success with DL recruits to close the class. The lines are the priority and build out. We have enough playmakers to be successful with the correct protections.

I respect how Dino addresses weaknesses and tries to directly recruit to the weakness. seems like it’s obvious he is searching all necessary avenues to find quality ACC bigs through transfers, juco, out of the country, etc. I would like him to also find some similar success with DL recruits to close the class. The lines are the priority and build out. We have enough playmakers to be successful with the correct protections.
Welcome to the club. Been saying we need help in trenches for two years. Needs to be a priority for the last 5 or 6 spots.

Welcome to the club. Been saying we need help in trenches for two years. Needs to be a priority for the last 5 or 6 spots.
I’m happy to join the club! All aboard the elephants and hippos club. for real though, I wish our top 5 recruits every year were OL and DL. If they were then everything else would work itself out. I really truly noticed how important it is to have above average line recruits not just big warm bodies.

I'm here to party as well! We would be looking at maybe a win or two more this year the oline at the end of the season.
This recruit would be huge snag. We addressed serious needs with the class. Agreed we need a QB. But, include this big boss into the mix and I'm a little more at ease over this recruiting cycle.

I’m happy to join the club! All aboard the elephants and hippos club. for real though, I wish our top 5 recruits every year were OL and DL. If they were then everything else would work itself out. I really truly noticed how important it is to have above average line recruits not just big warm bodies.
Agreed!!! Its only football. At the end of the day the team with the best offensive and defensive line will win 8 out of 10 times. Its just football not rocket science.

I'm here to party as well! We would be looking at maybe a win or two more this year the oline at the end of the season.
This recruit would be huge snag. We addressed serious needs with the class. Agreed we need a QB. But, include this big boss into the mix and I'm a little more at ease over this recruiting cycle.

Be careful joining the "honest assessment party" a lot of people on here will start attacking you and saying your negative, not a real fan etc etc for commenting on our overall lack of quality O-lineman and interior D-line recruits under HCDB. In January 2019 I predicted that with our poor O-line and interior line recruiting under HCDB a 6 win season at best. This year we ended up winning 5 games. You have probably seen tons of "popular posters ripping me saying we would win 10 games again this year, the coaches know more than me, I am just overly critical, dont look at the rankings of recruting classes blah blah blah. We won 5 games!!!! Couple that with the fact that we lose both stud DE's and next year is not looking much better. Our problem is pretty simple. We need to recruit the trenches HARD!!!! The transfer from Florida and Reed are solid pickups. But we have to close Reed and Bleich might not be eligible immediately next year. But atleast we are looking in the right direction. Now if we could just get 3 DT's preferably a transfer or two that has immediate eligibility for depth next year and a couple of those stud P5 DT transfers in the portal and we will be setup for 2021. Believe it or not we aren't that far off. Lets go Orange!!!!

Be careful joining the "honest assessment party" a lot of people on here will start attacking you and saying your negative, not a real fan etc etc for commenting on our overall lack of quality O-lineman and interior D-line recruits under HCDB. In January 2019 I predicted that with our poor O-line and interior line recruiting under HCDB a 6 win season at best. This year we ended up winning 5 games. You have probably seen tons of "popular posters ripping me saying we would win 10 games again this year, the coaches know more than me, I am just overly critical, dont look at the rankings of recruting classes blah blah blah. We won 5 games!!!! Couple that with the fact that we lose both stud DE's and next year is not looking much better. Our problem is pretty simple. We need to recruit the trenches HARD!!!! The transfer from Florida and Reed are solid pickups. But we have to close Reed and Bleich might not be eligible immediately next year. But atleast we are looking in the right direction. Now if we could just get 3 DT's preferably a transfer or two that has immediate eligibility for depth next year and a couple of those stud P5 DT transfers in the portal and we will be setup for 2021. Believe it or not we aren't that far off. Lets go Orange!!!!
Absolutely. If Dino can't close some DTs we could be looking at tough seasons ahead.

I think a lot of your 'honest assessment' though is just speculation. Same can be said for the postive joe's to but some of their speculation is at least based on trends like kids generally getting better as they get older. See Coleman. He wasn't a stud DE until he was. The next stud DE might emerge next year.

There are some holes going into next season for sure but there's a better DT nucleus than there was last year. Last year we had 3 guys (Bear, Ruff, Black) and then Bear got hurt. This year there is 4 experienced guys going into spring (Bear, Black, Harper and Elmore) with Rondi and Munoz set to get snaps. We didn't have those extra guys last year.

... it's also hard to win with starting freshman lineman and a first year sophomore starting QB. It just is. And even so the team was literally a couple of plays away from being 7-5.

Last edited:
I think a lot of your 'honest assessment' though is just speculation. Same can be said for the postive joe's to but some of their speculation is at least based on trends like kids generally getting better as they get older. See Coleman. He wasn't a stud DE until he was. The next stud DE might emerge next year.

There are some holes going into next season for sure but there's a better DT nucleus than there was last year. Last year we had 3 guys (Bear, Ruff, Black) and then Bear got hurt. This year there is 4 experienced guys going into spring (Bear, Black, Harper and Elmore) with Rondi and Munoz set to get snaps. We didn't have those extra guys last year.

... it's also hard to win with starting freshman lineman and a first year sophomore starting QB. It just is. And even so the team was literally a couple of plays away from being 7-5.
Harper and Elmore are very much speculative. Hopefully they will get better as you suggest. Betting on redshirt freshman is highly speculative. We need one, preferably two, JUCO or transfer DTs who could step in immediately.

Harper and Elmore are very much speculative. Hopefully they will get better as you suggest. Betting on redshirt freshman is highly speculative. We need one, preferably two, JUCO or transfer DTs who could step in immediately.

Partially agree that their impact is speculative but Harper was part of the regular rotation over the last few games and at 300#s is big. Elmore was also getting early game run and did fairly decent job considering he was a part-timer and likely had very little practice time there. It stands to reason with the experience gained combined with getting 1st team snaps at DT this spring they'll make a size-able leap.

It's highly unlikely we're going to get a juco/transfer DT that can step in immediately. But if we do make sure you come back and praise Dino.

Partially agree that their impact is speculative but Harper was part of the regular rotation over the last few games and at 300#s is big. Elmore was also getting early game run and did fairly decent job considering he was a part-timer and likely had very little practice time there. It stands to reason if both get 1st team snaps at DT this spring they'll make a size-able leap.

It's highly unlikely we're going to get a juco/transfer DT that can step in immediately. But if we do make sure you come back and praise Dino.
I'll send him a bottle of champagne!

We literally were one play from 4-8 again if you think about the Wake game. Those 4 wins being over the football powerhouse's of Liberty, Holy Cross Western Mich and that football powerhouse Duke. Think about that for a minute.
You are inadvertently making my point. Think about it we are "speculating" that Rondi (a lowly rated recruit with 1 other P5 offer)and Munoz (a high school DE)both redshirt freshmen will be ready for DT in the ACC. Thats our depth. 5 years in we shouldn't be speculating we should have upperclassmen ready to step in like every other P5 team. We are reaping the lack trench recruiting in HCDB four classes. Lets HOPE that he hits the portal to adress this so we aren't in this same position again in 2021. This kid Reed and the Florida transfer Bleich will be two BIG pieces for us but we need to hit the trenches on the other side also.

Only a Grad Transfer can play right away. All other transfers have to sit a year.

We literally were one play from 4-8 again if you think about the Wake game. Those 4 wins being over the football powerhouse's of Liberty, Holy Cross Western Mich and that football powerhouse Duke. Think about that for a minute.
You are inadvertently making my point. Think about it we are "speculating" that Rondi (a lowly rated recruit with 1 other P5 offer)and Munoz (a high school DE)both redshirt freshmen will be ready for DT in the ACC. Thats our depth. 5 years in we shouldn't be speculating we should have upperclassmen ready to step in like every other P5 team. We are reaping the lack trench recruiting in HCDB four classes. Lets HOPE that he hits the portal to adress this so we aren't in this same position again in 2021. This kid Reed and the Florida transfer Bleich will be two BIG pieces for us but we need to hit the trenches on the other side also.

Bleich only if the NCAA grants him a waiver.

This is college football, not the NFL. There's always a certain degree of unknown and speculating on the needed contributions of guys who we've never seen play before. That's just how it is.

This is college football, not the NFL. There's always a certain degree of unknown and speculating on the needed contributions of guys who we've never seen play before. That's just how it is.
LeMoyne i agree 100%. You have four years to mitigate that by recruiting and developing depth. Thats the benefit of college football. No one and dones! This is precisely why I was complaining about our trench depth and RECRUITING on both lines perhaps with you and definitely a bunch of other people on this thread during our 10 win season. Now we see what the lack of quality recruiting has left us. A 5 win season, consistently lower 3rd ACC recruiting class and a ton of speculation going into next year.

Here is the good news the transfer portal is essentially a "do over" for low P5 teams with the potential to get even better players than the low P5 recruits we missed on in the 1st place. Heres to hoping HCDB hits the portal hard. 2020 might be another 5 win season but MAYBE we can get some talent to supplement his classes and be ready for 2021. Which I believe will be a contract year for HCDB ironically. All in for 2021!!!!! Lets go Orange

We did some speculating against Pitt and BC and it wasn't pretty. Clearly Elmore isn't the answer there. Black could help with depth but is not starter quality. We get MW back, who is starter-quality. Harper is decent size and had some snaps last year, as did Tauzama who seems like the most ready of the 2019 class. The other developing guys (Rondi, Caleb O. et al), are unfortunately all under 280. I would love a 300+lb. DT to shore us up inside.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom