The Lost Trophy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Lost Trophy

Chasing 'The Lost Trophy': Trailer, More on Syracuse's 1990 Team (IL)

26086.jpg

That looks like a good place to hide it.

Just watched it. Very good show. Saying the greatest team ever didn't win the 1990 title is like saying the 1927 Yankees didn't win the World Series.

There are two kinds of violations we need the NCAA or something like it to look for:

1) Inducements: Something under the table that might lead to an athlete deciding to come here rather than another school.

2) Eligibility: Something improper done to keep an athlete eligible who should not be eligible.

Paul Gait was a senior in good academic standing who wasn't going to transfer to another school if the loan wasn't cosigned. The Simmons never paid the Gaits any money. As Roy pointed out, there was no rule against this: the NCAA made one up and applied it ex post facto.

But, of course they would never admit they did anything wrong. Unless you're Miami or Penn State.

I forgot what an a$$hole Todd Lighty was. Went after hoops and lax for petty nonsense. He spoke to one of my classes, I still cannot believe he was an invited guest of a salaried SU employee.

I hope he failed at the rest of his career.

That looks like a good place to hide it.

Just watched it. Very good show. Saying the greatest team ever didn't win the 1990 title is like saying the 1927 Yankees didn't win the World Series.

There are two kinds of violations we need the NCAA or something like it to look for:

1) Inducements: Something under the table that might lead to an athlete deciding to come here rather than another school.

2) Eligibility: Something improper done to keep an athlete eligible who should not be eligible.

Paul Gait was a senior in good academic standing who wasn't going to transfer to another school if the loan wasn't cosigned. The Simmons never paid the Gaits any money. As Roy pointed out, there was no rule against this: the NCAA made one up and applied it ex post facto.

But, of course they would never admit they did anything wrong. Unless you're Miami or Penn State.

Excellent post SWC! You summed up my thoughts much better than I probably would have. I thought it was a really good show also. I had just moved to Georgia around that time of the Gaits, and lacrosse didn't get the national coverage that it does today. Basically, there were a few highlights on like CBS Sports Saturday of the championship games from what I remember. So I didn't really appreciate how great they really were. I also knew the basic story of the history of the program but I didn't really appreciate it as much as I do now. Roy Simmons Jr is sure an interesting man with diverse interests.

My favorite quote was from Beardsley discussing the 1990 title,

"how can you erase that?... it was on TV".

Puts in perspective SU vs JHU.

This game Saturday is a must win. I know they were in the final two years ago. But last years hiccup and the time passed since the last title, with a senior laden team, make this game a huge one.

Puts in perspective SU vs JHU.

This game Saturday is a must win. I know they were in the final two years ago. But last years hiccup and the time passed since the last title, with a senior laden team, make this game a huge one.
Wait one second. You are going out on a limb and saying that a NCAA quarterfinal game against an arch rival is a must win game. I suppose if we play G-town in a NCAA basketball semi final that would qualify as well.

Wait one second. You are going out on a limb and saying that a NCAA quarterfinal game against an arch rival is a must win game. I suppose if we play G-town in a NCAA basketball semi final that would qualify as well.

My expectations are a bit different for lacrosse than basketball.

GoSU96 said:
Puts in perspective SU vs JHU. This game Saturday is a must win. I know they were in the final two years ago. But last years hiccup and the time passed since the last title, with a senior laden team, make this game a huge one.

Clash is Sunday.

Anybody recall the show "Simmons' of Syracuse" (or something like that) aired on the now defunct College Sports Network several years ago? Is it available on video anywhere?

Just saw this doc last night. Was interesting but strange. It was really more of a doc on the Gaits and specifically Gary and then they kind tacked on the trophy thing in the last 5 minutes. Was entertaining for an SU fan, but production wasn't up to the standard of the 30-for-30 stuff. It made me wish they had a doc that continued on through the Powell era.

i watched the first half last night at 10. as said above i saw mainly an ode to the gait bros. ( we don't need no stinkin' right stick padrone. i keel you twice behind my back !) also had the pleasure to meet roy jr. a couple times just wandering around the concourse during games. what a down to earth guy. you might say herbal. i see ESPN is replaying again tonite at 7pm. maybe i can stay awake for the trophy stuff. great memories.

(edit)
watched the second half. a lot of wink wink nod nod. rules were apparently broken. appreciate the input of all the past players interviewed ( both syracuse and enemy laxers alike) seems overall agreement leans toward best team ever.

Last edited:
Does anybody know why Paul didn't participate? Is there some bad blood somewhere?

Does anybody know why Paul didn't participate? Is there some bad blood somewhere?
My guess is he still feels bad that he was at the center of the championship being vacated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom