"The Masters" could be the next axe to fall. | Syracusefan.com

"The Masters" could be the next axe to fall.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Golf master is obviously different than slave master but they did have that no black member thing going on for a long time. Just call it The Augusta or whatever and get it over with. It is 2020 and nothing is beyond reproach.

"And be honest. When you hear anyone say the Masters, you think of slave masters in the South. There’s nothing else, nothing special. You don’t think of someone mastering the game of golf. When has anyone mastered golf?"

I've never associated "the Masters" with slave masters and always associated it with people who have mastered the game of golf. the tournament was always for people who had proven themselves by winning other tournaments. The course is in Georgia and it's not shocking that slaves may once have been housed there. But they aren't housed there now. This isn't reform. it's just political correctness gone amuck.

Last edited:
"And be honest. When you hear anyone say the Masters, you think of slave masters in the South. There’s nothing else, nothing special. You don’t think of someone mastering the game of golf. When has anyone mastered golf?"

I've never associated "the Masters" with slave masters and always associated it with people who have mastered the game of golf. the tournament was always for people who had proven themselves by winning other tournaments. The course is in Georgia and it's not shocking that slaves may once have been housed there. But they are housed there now. This isn't reform. it's just political correctness gone amuck.
Listening to Deadspin is like listening to Barstool it’s stupid.

They had an article a few months ago about Tom Brady being lucky he wasn’t black when he entered the wrong house in Tampa looking for his coach.

It’s not a reputable website.

They had an article a few months ago about Tom Brady being lucky he wasn’t black when he entered the wrong house in Tampa looking for his coach.

I mean. He kinda is. Plus lucky he is rich. A lower class person gets arrested for that

A few months ago? It was 2 months today, and that take isn’t exactly hot.

Otherwise I agree with your take on Deadspin and Barstool.

Golf master is obviously different than slave master but they did have that no black member thing going on for a long time. Just call it The Augusta or whatever and get it over with. It is 2020 and nothing is beyond reproach.

The last time I visited Deadspin, was right around the time when their entire staff go the ax. Aside from their condemnation of their new owners, their top two stories were 1) an awesome story about some science behind running marathons that I dove into for 10 or 15 minutes; and 2) a story about whether one of their writers would sleep with an entire MLB roster, if they had the chance.

I vowed never to go back.

I think I made the right decision, but they seem to have dropped off the face of the earth.

One note at the end: I didn't click on the article and figured that maybe I just missed a piece or satire, I don't know.

Given that Augusta made it mandatory that all caddies be black until 1983 (!!!!) I don't think we can automatically assume the masters name is purely about golf... it probably is purely about golf, but I won't 100% assume it is.

In the 1970's Masters Chairman Clifford Roberts had the following comments -- "As long as I'm alive, all the golfers will be white and all the caddies will be black." He also said, when asked about the banning of black golfers for the Masters that ""to make an exception would be practicing discrimination in reverse".

I think Augusta would be well served by making a comment apologizing for things its former membership has condoned in the past, and that they have been and will continue to work better... because it's past is disgusting.

Last edited: