The "My Man" Award | Syracusefan.com

The "My Man" Award

SWC75

Bored Historian
Casey Stengel, when he was winning championships with the Yankees, was asked the secret of his success. He said , somewhat cryptically, “I never play a game without my man” and walked away. The reporter wondered who “my man” was. He thought it might have been the most talented player: Mickey Mantle. Then he looked at the team’s stats and saw that the guy who had played in the most games was Yogi Berra. Stengel would give Yogi a day off from catching by putting him in left field but he always wanted him in the line-up somewhere.

When it comes to SU basketball, I’ve always figured whoever got the most minutes on the season was Jim Boeheim’s “man” - the one he least wanted to do without of all his players. Of course this can be impacted by injuries and suspensions. I decided to use the stats in the media guide, which now go back to the 1982-83 season, (they seem to add a season backwards to their archive each year) and list whoever averaged the most minutes in the games they played from that season on. That guy was Jim Boeheim’s “man” that year. Some years it will be an obvious star player. But other years it might just be a solid, reliable player JB just likes having out there. Let’s see.

1982-83 Leo Rautins
1983-84 Rafael Addison
1984-85 Rafael Addison
1985-86 Pearl Washington
1986-87 Sherman Douglas
1987-88 Sherman Douglas
1988-89 Sherman Douglas
1989-90 Billy Owens
1990-91 Billy Owens
1991-92 Dave Johnson
1992-93 Lawrence Moten
1993-94 Adrian Autry
1994-95 Lawrence Moten
1995-96 John Wallace
1996-97 Jason Hart
1997-98 Todd Burgan
1998-99 Ryan Blackwell
1999-00 Jason Hart
2000-01 Allen Griffin
2001-02 Preston Shumpert
2002-03 Carmelo Anthony
2003-04 Hakim Warrick
2004-05 Hakim Warrick
2005-06 Gerry McNamara
2006-07 Demetris Nichols
2007-08 Paul Harris
2008-09 Jonny Flynn
2009-10 Wes Johnson
2010-11 Rick Jackson
2011-12 Kris Joseph

Of course, come of these years there wasn’t much difference between the #1 guy and the #2 or #3 guys. But somebody was still the #1 guy for a reason. You don’t see centers- they have to expend more energy to move their big bodies around so they need more rest. They tend to be supporting players in our scheme anyway. Point guards, who have the ball the most, control the pace of the game and set up the offense are obvious candidates to be “my man”. But it’s interesting Pearl Washington wasn’t “my man” until his final, (junior) year and Jason Hart was “my man”: as a freshman and a senior but not in between. Derrick Coleman never was but Billy Owens was twice. Hakim Warrick was over Gerry McNamara until he left. I think his ability to get to the line, foul people out who were guarding him and make his free throws was key.

So far this year, Brandon Triche is “my man” but barely, (160 minutes vs. 158) over Michael Carter-Williams. CJ Fair is third with 151. It will be interesting if Brandon, as the lone senior in the starting line-up, retains his lead or if MCW with his blazing talent as a point guard surpasses him.

Hart was our only real point guard in 1997. Both in practice and for the sake of allusion, however, I'd have to say that Otis "My Man" Hill was, in fact, "My Man" that season.

Hart was our only real point guard in 1997. Both in practice and for the sake of allusion, however, I'd have to say that Otis "My Man" Hill was, in fact, "My Man" that season.

Hill averaged 29.3, fourth on the team. Hart was 35.8, Burgan 33.8 and Cipolla 33.4.

Otis Hill was "My Man" every season.

Triche may edge MCW but they will both be 1-2 this year by a good bit over CJ or James IMO.

The "My Man" label is interesting but this year I think JB is going to want both MCW and BT both in at the end of games. The determining factor on who plays more minutes may be more dependent on in-game foul management than anything else.

On a slightly related note, several of our guys need to start being more aware of foul consequences. Too many unnecessary, silly fouls out of our non-bigs. Seems like guards and JS shouldn't need to time-managed because of fouls, yet we have seen this a couple of times already in this young season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom