The neat thing about Noel's recruitment | Syracusefan.com

The neat thing about Noel's recruitment

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Is that I think all the school's make sense.

Kentucky - Gets to play for the top one and done coach.

Georgetown - Gets to be in a system that will teach him to be a complete offensive player.

Syracuse - Gets to position himself as the best shotblocker in college hoops and play with a friend.

Kinda neat. I can see the reasons on all sides. Still hope we get him.

Georgetown - Gets to be in a system that will teach him to be a complete offensive player.

Syracuse - Gets to position himself as the best shotblocker in college hoops and play with a friend.

You're right man, if his choice is hard, it's for good reasons for sure. Reminds me of that "damn it feels good to be a gangsta" song from Office Space.

One could argue the following:
Best bball only choice: Kentucky
Best education only choice: Gtown
Best combined choice: SU.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

That's a good way to put it.

One could argue that Basketball is slightly more important to a one and doner than education.

+1 /cliftonparksufan....what relevance does education have with a one and done; however, substitute staying North, closer to home and "family environment" for education and 'Cuse wins out!!!

Let's hope when Georgetown turned down the chance to play on the aircraft carrier they also lost out on this AC as well.SUball

+1 /cliftonparksufan....what relevance does education have with a one and done

Absolutely right... in general. However, Noel may take his education a bit more seriously than your typical "one and done" athletes. Prior to flying to Oregon, NN tweeted that he had just aced a math test. That's the sort of thing I would expect of someone who takes pride in their education, even if a college degree is not among their short term goals.

however, substitute staying North, closer to home and "family environment" for education and 'Cuse wins out!!!

Perhaps they will both be "pros" in his decision making process. At least I hope they are.

How does anyone KNOW the kid is one and done. It is presumed. He did enough work to get himself eligible a year early. Even if he is here a short time, he may well enjoy going to school and learning.

Anthony Davis said in an ESPN interview that he would probably wait until the end of April to decide about entering the draft...wonder what that does to Noel's equation?-VBOF

Education only choice? Are you kidding? What's education got to do with it?

Are people actually arguing that an education doesn't matter? Does basketball wins and losses matter so much now that an education doesn't matter? And we laugh when it seems every week we hear about another multi-millionaire from a pro league has gone broke. :(

Anthony Davis said in an ESPN interview that he would probably wait until the end of April to decide about entering the draft...wonder what that does to Noel's equation?-VBOF

Obviously it works in our favor. Even though it doesn't seem fathomable that Davis would stay, any shred of doubt clouds the picture. And considering the "bigs" picture at UK if Davis were to return, with Wiltjer back, Cauley arriving and 2 other top 25 recruits Anthony Bennett and (to a lesser degree) Tony Parker in consideration, competition for time in the spotlight could get pretty vicious.

Whereas here, we have no shortage of bigs but it's a much clearer picture of who will be on the floor and who will be taking a back seat.

Hasn't it been noted that his mother actually DOES care about him receiving a good education, wherever he goes, for however long he's there?

So yes, while he's likely a one and done, I'd say education is most definitely a factor.

Are people actually arguing that an education doesn't matter? Does basketball wins and losses matter so much now that an education doesn't matter? And we laugh when it seems every week we hear about another multi-millionaire from a pro league has gone broke. :(

See: Warren Sapp

Plus, many athletes who leave school early actually DO care about finishing their educations. Shaq, Vince Carter, etc...

So Gtown teaches him to be a complete offensive player because of Alonzo and Ewing.
But Seikely and Derrick Coleman didn't get it done?

I see the point but it gives very little tru leverage, and the leverage it gives is more based on the players who were really good in the NBA and excelled after college.
guys like Arinze, Warrick, Hill, Rick Jackson, Wallace, Bouie, Louie could take over in college.

I think the discussion about the education component of NN's decision is getting a little off track. I believe that he does and will take his education seriously even though it’s expected that he will enter the NBA long before earning a degree. If he chooses to complete college, at any time, he can do so anywhere. And to blindly say that SU or GU would be a better option than UK is a very arrogant and a little ignorant. Contrary to popular belief, Kentucky is not a complete infestation of inbred, toothless hicks surrounded by hayfields and tractors. If Noel dreams of a career in Journalism then it’s a no-brainer really. What though if he has a knack for equine science? All I'm saying is that if we are going to try and project Noel's reason for choosing a school based on its academic merits, we should probably first try to determine his interests and aptitudes, beyond basketball.

I agree, and firmly believe you can get a good education anywhere. Even if a school has a reputation for admitting morons (ahem...Arizona State...) doesn't mean you still can't get a great education there if you push yourself to do so.

Yes, Georgetown has a better reputation academically than Syracuse, and Syracuse has a better reputation than Kentucky, but he can get a quality education at any of those schools.

Brandon Knight was a very good student in high school.

Just sayin

So Gtown teaches him to be a complete offensive player because of Alonzo and Ewing.
Nothing to do with Zo and Ewing and everything to do with how JT3 uses his center on offense now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Here is one of the areas where JB adapted overtime to changes in the game and recruiting. Most of his early philosophy focused upon scoring through his guards and forwards. He looked to his big men to set good screens, grab rebounds and an occasional block.

Now, annually, we are involved with many of the top bigs in each class.
Our scoring from the forward position has diminished; not your fathers JB teams.

I believe NN is announcing to the Cuse on Wednesday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom