The New CFB Free Agency look... | Syracusefan.com

The New CFB Free Agency look...

Ish88888

All American
Listening to some national sports talk shows and many love and are impressed with the movement of 6-8 quality qbs to starting positions at some big time schools. some as a stop gap and some to compete with some big time young qb recruits. Its exciting and this "free agency " look for CFB is being considered very advantageous for the sport we all love.

Listening to some national sports talk shows and many love and are impressed with the movement of 6-8 quality qbs to starting positions at some big time schools. some as a stop gap and some to compete with some big time young qb recruits. Its exciting and this "free agency " look for CFB is being considered very advantageous for the sport we all love.
It’s only real if they get a waiver to play right away . No way is Martel getting a waiver . Fields getting one is a joke . If Martel gets a waiver it will set a legal precedent that could trigger a mass exodus at alll positions and IMO cause the rich to get richer . What would it teach these kids ? Run from competition? Have no loyalty? Be a me me me player on a team sport ? You would be crippling them , crippling them for life .

I love college football, but all this moving around is a joke. If the student has graduated, then I am ok with no need to sit out a year. They've graduated and earned it. Additionally, from an academic perspective moving to another school for your graduate degree is a good thing IMHO.

These waivers are bad for the sport and bad for the student athlete.

It’s only real if they get a waiver to play right away . No way is Martel getting a waiver . Fields getting one is a joke . If Martel gets a waiver it will set a legal precedent that could trigger a mass exodus at alll positions and IMO cause the rich to get richer . What would it teach these kids ? Run from competition? Have no loyalty? Be a me me me player on a team sport ? You would be crippling them , crippling them for life .

I don't buy the rich will get richer argument. The Top 10 in recruiting already get the vast majority of 5 stars. It's not like they are all of a sudden going to get a ton more 5 star recruits. Plus, the reason you see so many players going into the portal is because they can't get off the bench. If the rich get richer then you will see the same thing going on. Lastly, they still only get 85 schollies.

I love college football, but all this moving around is a joke. If the student has graduated, then I am ok with no need to sit out a year. They've graduated and earned it. Additionally, from an academic perspective moving to another school for your graduate degree is a good thing IMHO.

These waivers are bad for the sport and bad for the student athlete.

Choice is not bad for anyone, let alone the student athlete. If i'm one of the top research students in the country (and have received a full scholarship), is there an arbitrary rule that makes me sit out a year from research work if I transfer to another school?

Choice is not bad for anyone, let alone the student athlete. If i'm one of the top research students in the country (and have received a full scholarship), is there an arbitrary rule that makes me sit out a year from research work if I transfer to another school?

Research aligns with academics (and is sometimes essentially the student's sole academic work in grad school). Sports does not align with academics, therefore we're talking about apples and oranges. Additionally, a student who is focusing on research will almost invariably be a PhD student and if they're one of the top students will surely have a stipend so it's not really a "scholarship" (nitpicky semantics). Some schools view them as employees/students.

There are definitely exceptions, but in 90% of the cases an undergraduate transfer is detrimental to the student's academic progress. For example, every state is different, but in NY we can only accept a certain % of a student's prior work towards their degree. This means that many students transferring in will have to retake courses, or even take additional ones to graduate.

Like I said, a graduate student is a different ball of wax. I actually view it as detrimenal to the student's academic careers if you forced them to pursue a graduate degree at their undergraduate institution.

I don't buy the rich will get richer argument. The Top 10 in recruiting already get the vast majority of 5 stars. It's not like they are all of a sudden going to get a ton more 5 star recruits. Plus, the reason you see so many players going into the portal is because they can't get off the bench. If the rich get richer then you will see the same thing going on. Lastly, they still only get 85 schollies.
The reason the rich could get richer is this ...
let’s say ONLY FOR EXAMPLE .. Tua had a career ending injury than tommy says hey I could go play for a national title , or ish 2 years ago says I’m going to play for a contender .. a chance for more exposure .. I don’t like it at all . You make a four year choice ! Sure there are executions but not the norm

Research aligns with academics (and is sometimes essentially the student's sole academic work in grad school). Sports does not align with academics, therefore we're talking about apples and oranges. Additionally, a student who is focusing on research will almost invariably be a PhD student and if they're one of the top students will surely have a stipend so it's not really a "scholarship" (nitpicky semantics). Some schools view them as employees/students.

There are definitely exceptions, but in 90% of the cases an undergraduate transfer is detrimental to the student's academic progress. For example, every state is different, but in NY we can only accept a certain % of a student's prior work towards their degree. This means that many students transferring in will have to retake courses, or even take additional ones to graduate.

Like I said, a graduate student is a different ball of wax. I actually view it as detrimenal to the student's academic careers if you forced them to pursue a graduate degree at their undergraduate institution.

Academic vs athletic transfers are not apple to oranges. Each should have a choice in where they hone their strengths and desires. And while NY might have draconion transfer rules, most states don't. I don't agree that moving from one school to another is detrimental in but a few cases where a decision just doesn't work out. Choice is never bad in my opinion. Don't confuse this with the decision, I'm merely making an argument for having choice.

Last edited:
The reason the rich could get richer is this ...
let’s say ONLY FOR EXAMPLE .. Tua had a career ending injury than tommy says hey I could go play for a national title , or ish 2 years ago says I’m going to play for a contender .. a chance for more exposure .. I don’t like it at all . You make a four year choice ! Sure there are executions but not the norm

That is a very specific example. that said, I'll bite, if an NFL career is in their eyes, isn't exposure necessary? Isn't that best for Tommy? Why would we deny his chance at exposure? For our fandom?

That is a very specific example. that said, I'll bite, if an NFL career is in their eyes, isn't exposure necessary? Isn't that's what would be best for Tommy? Why would we deny his chance at exposure? For our fandom?
You dance with the girl you brought to the dance ! Values and loyalty are something I want in my Qb not a diva , not a me guy ,
If you have the talent they find you . Josh Allen , Carson wrntz anyine ??? I just don’t like it just my opinion, not trying to argue at all

That is a very specific example. that said, I'll bite, if an NFL career is in their eyes, isn't exposure necessary? Isn't that best for Tommy? Why would we deny his chance at exposure? For our fandom?

Tommy plays football at a P5 school. He's not going to be short on exposure. and good football players are found at all levels of CFB. Really has nothing to do with exposure anyhow. The point is, do you really want kids making decisions, not liking the short-term outlook, and bailing at their first possible opportunity?

Devito could easily have done that after being behind Dungey for two years. Instead, he got a fair amount of reps last year and now will be better for it this year. Good things come to those who wait. The cut-and-run culture is not something I'd want to see cultivated any further.

I only partially agree. If a kid is buried, and there is no clear path to the field, not being able to transfer, without penalty, keeps him buried. Maybe a half year loss of eligibility(no waivers), would work for those kids, and still be a deterrent for
Penciled in starters?

Can of worms, either way.

You dance with the girl you brought to the dance ! Values and loyalty are something I want in my Qb not a diva , not a me guy ,
If you have the talent they find you . Josh Allen , Carson wrntz anyine ??? I just don’t like it just my opinion, not trying to argue at all

Fine, then that's part of his decision and choice. I'm not arguing either, just as a liberty-loving American, I always want a choice. While technically they do have a choice, the penalty should be removed.

NFL playoff QBs and their Alma mater.
Tom Brady- Michigan
Drew Brees- Purdue
Jared Goff- California
Patrick Mahomes- Texas Tech
Philip Rivers- NC State
Andrew Luck- Stanford
Dak Prescott- Mississippi State
Nick Foles- Arizona
Deshaun Watson- Clemson
Lamar Jackson- Louisville
Mitch Trisbusky- North Carolina
Russell Wilson- NC State

Then you got guys like
Matt Ryan- Boston College
Aaron Rodgers- California
Cam Newton- Auburn
Matt Stafford- Georgia
Jameis Winston- Florida State
Ben Rothlisberger- Miami Ohio
Eli Manning- Ole Miss
Kirk Cousins- Michigan State
Jimmy Garoppolo- Eastern Illinois

The point is the factories at most have one QB in the league. Thus going to factory doesn’t mean you will be a QB in the league.

Tommy plays football at a P5 school. He's not going to be short on exposure. and good football players are found at all levels of CFB. Really has nothing to do with exposure anyhow. The point is, do you really want kids making decisions, not liking the short-term outlook, and bailing at their first possible opportunity?

Devito could easily have done that after being behind Dungey for two years. Instead, he got a fair amount of reps last year and now will be better for it this year. Good things come to those who wait. The cut-and-run culture is not something I'd want to see cultivated any further.

To your first part, I agree, just using care takers example.

As for letting them have choice and deciding - hell yes! As much as we call them kids, they are adults. You learn through making choices, failing/succeeding, then learning from those choices. Rinse, repeat, until you die.

As far as "good things come to those who wait", tell that to one my Sr. Accountants who just yesterday complained (again) that he felt he had no future with the company due to several internal opportunities he's been passed over. My suggestion to him - look outside the company.

293B101E-0984-4B74-BA0F-87F219514F96.jpeg

I only partially agree. If a kid is buried, and there is no clear path to the field, not being able to transfer, without penalty, keeps him buried. Maybe a half year loss of eligibility(no waivers), would work for those kids, and still be a deterrent for
Penciled in starters?

Can of worms, either way.
Agreed but buried players have to sit when they transfer as long as they sit than it’s fair

lol, and the exact opposite could be true. Or maybe the first mistake was choosing the initial school and because they can't transfer without penalty, they stay where they're at and still fall into oblivion. Man, can you imagine if you lived your life like that meme?

I just don't get why we believe we know what's best for these players.

Nothing has changed here at all except for now there's a portal.

The only thing that will make it crazy is if the NCAA starts allowing waivers - some of which seem arbitrary. You really should only get a waiver if immediate family members are extraordinarily sick (ie dying) or you have child responsibilities. I don't think there's any in between on this. If you don't meet that criteria you have to sit out.

Being allowed a waiver because you claim someone said something mean to you doesn't fly. It sets a bad precedent.

If you want to do the kid a favor, make him sit out but don't make him lose a year of eligibility. Taking away a year of eligibility is stupid and penalizes the kid.

The students should be free to transfer whenever and wherever they want. Jay Bilas put it well when he said these transfer rules are dressed up non-compete clauses for players that everyone bends over backwards to tell us aren't employees.

If people truly cared about "teaching life lessons" and "loyalty to a program and commitment" then they would push for equal if not more stringent restrictions on coaches who switch programs. But they don't because it's just about having and maintaining power over the student-athlete and fans who want what's best for the program they follow and not the kid.

Agreed but buried players have to sit when they transfer as long as they sit than it’s fair
Do they sit if they drop to FCS? Maybe a tiered system would work. Go from the #2 team to the #130? Don't have to sit. Drop to a team 50 below you, 6 game penalty. It would help with parity(good), but now the kid at the lower level, that has remained committed, and has waited his turn gets screwed.

No matter how you do it, someone is getting hosed.

Sit a year, get another year of eligibility?(Also a can of worms)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom