Against P6 8-20 29%
Against non P6 45-3 94%
Conference 56-54 51%
ACCT 3-4 43%
Postseason 8-4 67%
Overall 121-84 59%

These numbers show what we are.
This season’s 7-4 is not included

When you look at these numbers the only reason we continuing the winning season streak is the 45-3 record in nonconference games against non-P6 teams.

Make shots isn’t the solution.
Jim Boeheim is a HOFer but the numbers show what we have been.

Last edited:
2014-2015
9-4 non conference record
W: Iowa
L: California, Michigan, St. John’s, Villanova
Conference record: 9-9
No postseason
Overall 19-13

2015-2016
10-3 nonconference record
W: UConn, Texas A&M
L: Georgetown, St. John’s, Wisconsin
Conference record 9-9
0-1 ACCT
4-1 NCAAT
Overall 23-14

2016-2017
8-5 non conference record
W: nothing good
L: South Carolina, UConn, Georgetown, St. John’s, Wisconsin
Conference record 10-8
ACCT 0-1
NIT 1-1
Overall 19-15

2017-2018
11-2 non conference record
W: Maryland, UConn, Georgetown.
L: Buffalo, Kansas
Conference record: 8-10
ACCT: 1-1
NCAAT: 3-1
Overall 23-14

2018-2019
nonconference record 9-4
W: Georgetown, Ohio State
L: UConn, Oregon, Old Dominion, Buffalo
Conference record 10-8
NCAAT 0-1
Overall 20-14

2019-2020
Nonconference record 7-4
W- nada
L- Penn State, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Georgetown
Conference record 10-10
ACCT 1-0
Overall record 18-14

Composite
Nonconference 54-22- 71%
Against P6 8-20 29%
Against non P6 46-2 96%
Conference 56-54 51%
ACCT 3-4 43%
Postseason 8-4 67%
Overall 121-84 59%

When you look at these numbers the only reason we continuing the winning season streak is the 46-2 record in nonconference games against non-P6 teams.

Sometimes numbers lie.

These don’t. We have been and are mediocre. It’s been painful to watch and my expectations over the last bunch of years have been to squeak into the tournament and maybe upset some teams. I have been a big backer of coach but I don’t think he can turn it around. Too much of the same and too many recruiting misses. The ceiling is probably bubble territory for the next couple years.

Cuse

This may be 7 years in a row with 13 or more loses, when’s the last time Syracuse went 7 straight years with double digit loses?

From 1969-2014 season where these numbers start we had a total of 4 seasons with 13 or more loses. 3 of those seasons were 13 and one of those seasons we had 14 loses.

These are unprecedented times. And this could very well be 7 straight years of 13 or more loses, and only one of these past 6 years have been 13, the rest have been 14 or 15 loses. The numbers do not lie, this is the worst stretch of basketball Syracuse has played since jimmy has been coach.

2014-2015
No postseason
Overall 19-13

2015-2016
Conference record 9-9
0-1 ACCT
4-1 NCAAT
Overall 23-14

2016-2017
Conference record 10-8
ACCT 0-1
NIT 1-1
Overall 19-15

2017-2018
L: Buffalo, Kansas
Overall 23-14

2018-2019
nonconference record 9-4
Conference record 10-8
NCAAT 0-1
Overall 20-14

2019-2020
Nonconference record 7-4
W- nada
Conference record 10-10
ACCT 1-0
Overall record 18-14

Composite
Nonconference 54-22- 71%
Against P6 8-20 29%
Against non P6 45-3 94%
Conference 56-54 51%
ACCT 3-4 43%
Postseason 8-4 67%
Overall 121-84 59%

When you look at these numbers the only reason we continuing the winning season streak is the 45-3 record in nonconference games against non-P6 teams.

Thanks. I don't remember losing to Buffalo in 2017-2018 though. It was December 2018 when we lost to them.

You probably should go back two years to the start of the downfall.

2012-13 we had a talented team that played no one until late February. We finished the season losing 4 out of 5. Then came the turning point IMO of the program. JB went to the grind it out style which resulted in a great BET and NCAA run. That style of play and recruiting players to fit it was the start of the end.

2013-14 was the only good regular season in the last NINE years. The results to start the year were great but the style was hard to watch. Grinding out all those close games took its toll and we finished the season 2-6.

We have opened things up a bit the last two years but the talent is severely lacking.

I really think JB is here three more years. He will stay through Buddy and then one more. So we are looking at 12 years of basketball which is totally different from Big East JB. I hope he doesn't ruin his legacy. I also hope that the fans do not turn on him. It would be sad to only see 15k and angry fans every game.

I am amazed that people think things would be better if Hop stayed. He was there through 2016-17. Even if you want to blame JB for not pursuing kids that Hop wanted, we have seen what Hop can do coaching those kids.

We were lucky to have Big East JB and didn't deserve such success. We deserve better than ACC JB and shouldn't be held hostage for an entire decade.

It all started to go downhill when we were #1 in the country with a 25-0 record and then lost to a horrible Boston College team.
There were some during the 25-0 run that pointed out flaws that would come back to bite us. They were shutdown by others with the argument of 25-0. Those flaws eventually led to a stumbling finish. We need a talent infusion. I'm at the point where I won't believe it will happen until I see it.

It all started to go downhill when we were #1 in the country with a 25-0 record and then lost to a horrible Boston College team.

TBF, it started half a dozen games before that, when Baye got hurt, we were eking out ugly wins over Clemson and NCSU, the starting guards' (and Fair's) offense was flatlining but the rotation was shrinking, and people like SoBeCuse (remember him?) and I were wondering what had happened to the team that put on a clinic against Duke and Nova.

BC was a long time coming. And most of the games that February were a microcosm of the six years since: round pegs in square holes.

2012-13 we had a talented team that played no one until late February. We finished the season losing 4 out of 5. Then came the turning point IMO of the program. JB went to the grind it out style which resulted in a great BET and NCAA run. That style of play and recruiting players to fit it was the start of the end.

2013-14 was the only good regular season in the last NINE years. The results to start the year were great but the style was hard to watch. Grinding out all those close games took its toll and we finished the season 2-6.

We have opened things up a bit the last two years but the talent is severely lacking.

I really think JB is here three more years. He will stay through Buddy and then one more. So we are looking at 12 years of basketball which is totally different from Big East JB. I hope he doesn't ruin his legacy. I also hope that the fans do not turn on him. It would be sad to only see 15k and angry fans every game.

I am amazed that people think things would be better if Hop stayed. He was there through 2016-17. Even if you want to blame JB for not pursuing kids that Hop wanted, we have seen what Hop can do coaching those kids.

We were lucky to have Big East JB and didn't deserve such success. We deserve better than ACC JB and shouldn't be held hostage for an entire decade.

Don't agree about Hopkins but the rest of the analysis of the timeline really sums it up.

There were some during the 25-0 run that pointed out flaws that would come back to bite us. They were shutdown by others with the argument of 25-0. Those flaws eventually led to a stumbling finish. We need a talent infusion. I'm at the point where I won't believe it will happen until I see it.
*raises hand*. Team was like the Steelers this year.

YES winning is the goal regardless of how on a single game basis, but what I pointed out back then was there were clear flaws that were being covered by the end result. Over the course of a full season, single games are not elimination games and while winning is still clearly the goal, “how” matters more and is different than the postseason where it’s “by any means necessary”.

Last edited:
Don't agree about Hopkins but the rest of the analysis of the timeline really sums it up.

We had issues Hop's last 5 years here. It isn't like they started after he left. Sure things wouldn't be this bad with him here but we are talking 11-9 with him vs 8-12 without him for our ACC records. It still isn't what we expect.

We had issues Hop's last 5 years here. It isn't like they started after he left. Sure things wouldn't be this bad with him here but we are talking 11-9 with him vs 8-12 without him for our ACC records. It still isn't what we expect.

It could've been bad with Mike, no doubt; I just wouldn't put too much stock in the results with him here since it wasn't his show and he and the old man weren't seeing eye-to-eye on recruits.

It could've been bad with Mike, no doubt; I just wouldn't put too much stock in the results with him here since it wasn't his show and he and the old man weren't seeing eye-to-eye on recruits.
MH was going to fail off the bat if he took over as SU HC when he was supposed too.
He wasn’t getting the keys to recruiting and roster.
So if he wasn’t on the same page as JB how would he have been able to get off to good start.
Plus the fanbase went really hard at him with the 4-5 in 2015-2016 as interim HC.

MH was smart to get a job that was a rebuild on the other coast and had a chance to do it his way.
Now he is struggling though.

I can say I don’t think JB will fix this roster. We have too many projects and our guard depth is terrible and it’s not going to get better in the next year.

Just look at our record the last 7 years.
We are only winning 59% of all of our games.
We are 45-3 against non P6 nonconference teams.
We are 56-54 in conference play.
Sanctions are an excuse when the HC himself says he only wants to play 7 guys.

2014-2015
No postseason
Overall 19-13

2015-2016
Conference record 9-9
0-1 ACCT
4-1 NCAAT
Overall 23-14

2016-2017
Conference record 10-8
ACCT 0-1
NIT 1-1
Overall 19-15

2017-2018
L: Kansas, St. Bonaventure
Overall 23-14

2018-2019
nonconference record 9-4
Conference record 10-8
NCAAT 0-1
Overall 20-14

2019-2020
Nonconference record 7-4
W- nada
Conference record 10-10
ACCT 1-0
Overall record 18-14

Composite
Nonconference 53-23- 71%
Against P6 8-20 29%
Against non P6 45-3 94%
Conference 56-54 51%
ACCT 3-4 43%
Postseason 8-4 67%
Overall 121-84 59%

First, and I can’t believe I’m going to say this, there are programs that would kill for a run like that, even though most Cuse fans consider it wildly disappointing.

However, my biggest issues over that time period are:

1) Recruiting has fallen off a cliff. Kudos to the staff for landing some great transfers, but we are now at a spot where we’re going to have a tough time being competitive no matter who the coach is.

2) The ACC is just a tougher league than the version of the Big East that we were in before moving. I know the BE had some top top teams, but your day in/day out of the ACC was always going to be a step up, which meant we needed to as well. Instead it feels like we’ve been patching things together and just grinding every year.

3) Here is my biggest issue, honestly: it feels like any sort of creativity or change in strategy has just gone out the window when I watch these teams. Where’s the brilliant lineup move? Where’s the game where JB just makes the other coach look like a fool. Where is that energy you see when guys will run through a wall for their coach? What ideas are coming from Red, GMac or Griff that throw a wrinkle into what we do?

JB isn’t out there saying and doing terrible things like Bobby Knight. And it sure seems like he has all his faculties unlike the late stages of Bowden/Paterno. My worry is he’s just built his empire in upstate NY, crushed the Hop transition, and is now so averse to change, it’s almost like he’s doing things as a big middle finger to a world that seems to be passing him by.

Believe me when I say nothing would make me happier than for JB to get a chip that he gets to celebrate with his son. That would be an amazing story and a perfect bookend to a hall of fame career. But I just don’t see it. And he is a hall of famer, but he’s not coaching like one right now.

For the duration of my 41 years on this Earth, Syracuse basketball has been my favorite sports team. I grew up in upstate, went to Cuse for UG and grad and have bled orange my whole life. JB is Syracuse basketball for me and the last thing I want is for it to end badly.

But I keep thinking of the quote from Tom Cruise’s character in Cocktail: “everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end.”

First, and I can’t believe I’m going to say this, there are programs that would kill for a run like that, even though most Cuse fans consider it wildly disappointing.

1) Recruiting has fallen off a cliff. Kudos to the staff for landing some great transfers, but we are now at a spot where we’re going to have a time being competitive no matter who the coach is.

2) The ACC is just a tougher league than the version of the Big East that we were in before moving. I know the BE had some top top teams, but your day in/day out of the ACC was always going to be a step up, which meant we needed to as well. Instead it feels like we’ve been patching things together and just grinding every year.

3) Here is my biggest issue, honestly: it feels like any sort of creativity or change in strategy has just gone out the window when I watch these teams. Where’s the brilliant lineup move? Where’s the game where JB just makes the other coach look like a fool. Where is that energy you see when guys will run through a wall for their coach? What ideas are coming from Red, GMac or Griff that throw a wrinkle into what we do?

JB isn’t out there saying and doing terrible things like Bobby Knight. And it sure seems like he has all his faculties unlike the late stages of Bowden/Paterno. My worry is he’s just built his empire in upstate NY, crushed the Hop transition, and is now so averse to change, it’s almost like he’s doing things as a big middle finger to a world that seems to be passing him by.

Believe me when I say nothing would make me happier than for JB to get a chip that he gets to celebrate with his son. That would be an amazing story and a perfect bookend to a hall of fame career. But I just don’t see it. And he is a hall of famer, but he’s not coaching like one right now.

For the duration of my 41 years on this Earth, Syracuse basketball has been my favorite sports team. I grew up in upstate, went to Cuse for UG and grad and have bled orange my whole life. JB is Syracuse basketball for me and the last thing I want is for it to end badly.

But I keep thinking of the quote from Tom Cruise’s character in Cocktail: “everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end.”
The Big East from 2005-2013 was a stronger league than this ACC.
This ACC is more top heavy now but the BE from 2005-2013 was top heavy, middle heavy. The bottoms were about the same though.

I hope fans don't openly turn on JB, but I'll never blame people for not showing up to games. It's form of entertainment. If it's entertaining, it shouldn't be surprising when people spend their time and money elsewhere.

I hope fans don't openly turn on JB, but I'll never blame people for not showing up to games. It's form of entertainment. If it's entertaining, it shouldn't be surprising when people spend their time and money elsewhere.

It sucks because he's created a team with two slow guards who don't pair well together at all (for a freaking zone defense) and can't recruit a player more than 230lbs. Nothing is going to change until he retires. The roster building is abysmal.

We have had a poor product the last 7 years. Eventually some fans will turn and the boo birds will come out. No one can expect that long a run without reaction.

1) Recruiting has fallen off a cliff. Kudos to the staff for landing some great transfers, but we are now at a spot where we’re going to have a tough time being competitive no matter who the coach is.

A lot of what you say is accurate. However, the comment about the ACC being tougher is way off. There have been really good teams at the top, but the day to day grind through the majority of the Big East years was tougher. Just look at the number of teams ranked and the number of teams that consistently made the tournament. I forget what year it was that 5 of the elite 8 teams were from the Big East. The ACC has felt tougher because we've declined.

We have had a poor product the last 7 years. Eventually some fans will turn and the boo birds will come out. No one can expect that long a run without reaction.
Yeah. That'll be unfortunate.

Something that stood out to me when I was perusing College Basketball Reference recently...

SU hasn’t been ranked in the final AP top 25 for the past six seasons. I assume that this year will make seven. The last time we weren’t ranked for as many as *three* seasons was 1983.

We’ve been ludicrously spoiled, we all know it. And there are various reasons that explain why we hit a rough patch a few years ago. But we’re clearly in uncharted waters these days, and you gotta squint reallllly hard to see how we’re going to get out of it.

Something that stood out to me when I was perusing College Basketball Reference recently...

SU hasn’t been ranked in the final AP top 25 for the past six seasons. I assume that this year will make seven. The last time we weren’t ranked for as many as *three* seasons was 1983.

We’ve been ludicrously spoiled, we all know it. And there are various reasons that explain why we hit a rough patch a few years ago. But we’re clearly in uncharted waters these days, and you gotta squint reallllly hard to see how we’re going to get out of it.
1610893581054.jpeg

A lot of what you say is accurate. However, the comment about the ACC being tougher is way off. There have been really good teams at the top, but the day to day grind through the majority of the Big East years was tougher. Just look at the number of teams ranked and the number of teams that consistently made the tournament. I forget what year it was that 5 of the elite 8 teams were from the Big East. The ACC has felt tougher because we've declined.

Agree completely. Although the BE from 2005-2013 was not on the level of the BE in the 80’s, you still had top teams like us, Nova, Uconn (blah), and Louisville fighting for top seeds. Add in teams like Georgetown (double blah), WVU, and Marquette who had major runs, and you have a conference just as strong as what this ACC is. I heard the other day on the radio someone talking about how Saban has adapted and adjusted with the changes to the game of football, which is why he’s still so successful. This made me think that Boeheim is just the opposite of that. The game of basketball has changed (thanks Warriors) and he is refusing to adapt and adjust his approach and scheme.

“We haven’t been good.” We know
“We’re not the program we once were.” We know
“Here’s evidence of how not good we are.” Why? We all agreed with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom