The offense | Syracusefan.com

The offense

PhatOrange

Living Legend
cherry picked out of the Phillips article.

Syracuse's reliance on Philips came largely because the Orange ran a simplified version of their offense against Colgate. Philips said the Orange kept most of the offense under wraps, never wavering from their base plays against Colgate.

A Little Bird Who's Been Right About This Kind Of Thing Before told me after the game on Friday (when I was griping about the field goals and lack of rushing success) that SU didn't really prepare for Colgate; they've been practicing as if Louisville's the season opener since camp opened in August.

Seems like hyperbole to me, but this came from someone in a position to know.

RF2044 said:
So much for the notion that Babers wouldn't hold anything back against Colgate instead of not tipping his hand.

Yeah, I'll man up and admit I was wrong.

It can be both:

- Ultra-aggressive "no off button" go offense
- and vanilla

It was obvious watching the game live we ran the same 5-9 plays the whole game.

Now we need to improve in the red zone against Louisville but I thought Dino was just testing Murphy with those 2nd half FG attempts as the game was over.

texascpa said:
I will admit I was one of those that said Babers wouldn't keep anything under wraps. You play to win. So, if the above is true, then it's going to be real fun Friday.

Exactly. I'm happy to be wrong in this case.

Can we have an extra camera just on Bobby for the game? Picture in picture? ;)

It was obvious watching the game live we ran the same 5-9 plays the whole game.

Now we need to improve in the red zone against Louisville but I thought Dino was just testing Murphy with those 2nd half FG attempts as the game was over.

when the power I came out and we ran it over and over, it was obvious we were taking the foot off the pedal. I also read somewhere that we will not see that formation in a game again this year. Wonder how true that is.

A Little Bird Who's Been Right About This Kind Of Thing Before told me after the game on Friday (when I was griping about the field goals and lack of rushing success) that SU didn't really prepare for Colgate; they've been practicing as if Louisville's the season opener since camp opened in August.

You're little birdie isn't that far off. ;)

This is going to be a great game.

As always, F you Petrino, candidly.

That is REALLY exciting to hear!

A win Friday would be a huge statement on a national stage.

We ran no pass plays over the middle All we did were verticals ET, passes to Erv in the slot, out cuts to Ishmael.

We used our athletic advantage over Colgate. Colgate left no safeties deep and flooded the box.

Against UL I would expect more from Strickland/Fredericks.

We ran no pass plays over the middle All we did were verticals ET, passes to Erv in the slot, out cuts to Ishmael.

We used our athletic advantage over Colgate. Colgate left no safeties deep and flooded the box.

Against UL I would expect more from Strickland/Fredericks.
I watched a lot of Bowling Green tape. I can't recall a single time they threw over the middle.

Interesting info, not sure why it should have affected the running game.

Interesting info, not sure why it should have affected the running game.
The reason our running game struggled was Colgate had the safeties playing in the box. This is why we kept connecting on those deep bombs because their CBs were on islands and ET made plays 1 on 1.

Against UL they won't stuff the box or if they do then we could hit bombs again. I think the running game will be better if teams don't put the extra bodies in the box.

You're engaged to O13's fiancé too?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom