The OL is a competitive advantage | Syracusefan.com

The OL is a competitive advantage

GoSU96

Living Legend
This year.

6-5, 322; 6-7, 375; 6-4, 292; 6-6, 326; 6-5, 335.

Add in Mang 6-7, 262 and Elmore 6-0, 286.

That’s a big group by any standard.

Add in that other than Ellis and Mang, these are experienced 4th, 5th, 6th year players. That is very important for this program.

One thing that hasn’t been considered is that because of injuries this group has hardly played together. They have gone through spring (other than Bliech) and fall together with Schmidt in year two. We have only seen brief glimpses of what they can do as a unit.

There are two related concerns, health- there are guys with significant injury history - and proven depth. But if this line does stay healthy they will be the best since John Flannery was on campus.

The one big weakness they need to fix is pass protection. I expect coaching, experience, cohesion, and health to improve that performance.

In the run game with Tucker and Shrader they have so much to choose from.

This to me is an under discussed advantage.

Yeah, people that think we're going to come out throwing against Louisville because of Anae/Beck, should probably reset expectations. That stuff needs more time anyway. Not to mention it's not the most accurate QB or proven WRs.

We will attempt to pummel Louisville on the ground with this combo of OL size, FB size, RB talent and QBs legs. We'll take our shots over the top as they present themselves.

I think we run for close to 300, keep their offense off the field (unless Tucker starts housing them), and win by 10.

Yeah, people that think we're going to come out throwing against Louisville because of Anae/Beck, should probably reset expectations. That stuff needs more time anyway. Not to mention it's not the most accurate QB or proven WRs.

We will attempt to pummel Louisville on the ground with this combo of OL size, FB size, RB talent and QBs legs. We'll take our shots over the top as they present themselves.

I think we run for close to 300, keep their offense off the field (unless Tucker starts housing them), and win by 10.
^^^^^^^
This

It's rare saying this but offensive line is one of the reasons to believe in this team.

Good OL + exceptional running back + battering ram QB + seasoned full back hopefully translates into a lot of ability to move the chains and capitalize on TDs in the red zone.

And it's promising that they took the time to cross train so much during camp. Cruz working at both tackle and guard positions. Davis at G and RT. Bleich at C. My read is that this not only gives you the flexibility to survive a couple of injuries or performance issues but it also means that the group nwas practicing strongly enough at their primary positions that the staff felt comfortable with the cross training.

That depends on the defense. If Louisville puts up a couple of quick touchdowns, that plan goes out the window.

That depends on the defense. If Louisville puts up a couple of quick touchdowns, that plan goes out the window.
Also, we bring Anae and Beck, then force them to go all Addazio with the offense?

Getting behind early would be a big problem. 2 TDs, plenty of time. 3 TDs or more, probably panic time.

If we win the toss, I hope we take the ball. (and score).
The Corso Not so fast, my friend. Defer, and let your strength hit the Cards with some pent up anger. And, let the offense get the feel of the game, and gain some calm. Plus, start with the ball in the 2nd half.

I have given Dino a hard time I know but kudos to him and the staff for assembling this OL. Looks like the best OL in a long time at SU. Dramatic difference than before. Also, thanks to the Administration for what it seems like ponying up the $’s for this new coaching staff and Dino for getting them and assembling the pieces. Looks like the best coaching staff we have had at SU in a loooong time.

Last edited:

If we run for 200+, we win

Yeah, people that think we're going to come out throwing against Louisville because of Anae/Beck, should probably reset expectations. That stuff needs more time anyway. Not to mention it's not the most accurate QB or proven

Most confidence I’ve had in the offense despite some questions marks in what GS will/can do as well as the WR’s. I don’t think we’ll be trying to fit squares into circular holes. Just because Anae/beck didn’t run as much as we did doesn’t mean they won’t.

It really struck me when the Purdue fan came on our board and commented several times on our MASSIVE OL. They are massive and experienced and now in their 2nd year with a great OL coach.

Will probably make it easier to block when the other team can’t guess your play 70% of the time also.

I just really hope the crowd helps both lines. Nothing more exciting than being in the dome ripping off a couple good runs cramming it down their throat and then turning around and getting a well timed sack

Hope we start kicking their bird, then throw in an ill timed, poorly executed, on-sides kick.

51Sx3lBLgLL._AC_UL320_.jpg

After years of having the red headed step child of offensive lines mis matched together it’s nice to finally have the Prom King pulling up in a 83 Camaro with t-tops being looked up to and jealous of…kind of like Consigliere back in his high school days
Well you had me nailed until you said it was an ‘83 Camaro!

Exactly

Its quite remarkable how much of an impact Schmidt has had. Outstanding hire.

Now, there are still some question marks -- can Vett hold up better inside at the point of attack? Does Davis have the lateral mobility to counter pass rush?

But for the OL to go from "worst case scenario" in 2020 to a potential positional unit of strength two years later -- what a transformation. And I'm guessing that there are guys on the two-deep who ware going to surprise some fans. Improved depth will also help the starters play better, avoid injuries, etc.

Here's hoping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom