the oline | Syracusefan.com

the oline

upperdeck

Living Legend
We talked about this yesterday in another thread.

The oline has been playing at a C level at best most of the year in both phases
They have no push in the running game
They are at best avg in the passing game,

The only reason we had a passing game at all is because McCord throws so early so often he beats coverages. If
teams sit back he will kill them.

I was surprised Enrique Cruz Jr couldn't land a starting job on the oline. I have to trust the coaches though. I also expected to see Joe Cruz and Dave Wohlabaugh Jr push for playing time as well.

I thought going into this game that we wouldn't know what we had on O until after the Pitt game. We had four tests to face. First was Stanford who was the first opponent with real film on us and two weeks to prep. Second was UNLV which is our first road opponent and first opponent with a high quality D mind. Third was NC State who would be the first team with high quality D talent. Fourth would be Pitt who would be the first team that would bring the house every play. After those 4 games we will have faced everything we could. Nothing new would come the last 5 games. So we would know what we were capable of.

We failed our first test, which isn't a good sign. Hopefully we can use Holy Cross to fix things.

I was also worried going into this game that we were too one dimensional. We need a stronger run game. I think getting the run game going will be the key to our season.

Ohio bull rushed us. GT stunted us, Stanford speed off the edge.

Just get better at defending those the more you see it.

again the holding call from 400 yds and a probable win if we get the TD there. That call changes the game in many ways as we wouldnt have been chasing pts and maybe we dont throw the other pick in the 4th.

Ohio bull rushed us. GT stunted us, Stanford speed off the edge.

Just get better at defending those the more you see it.
Can an offensive tackle really get better at handling speed off the edge if he’s not quick enough?

Can an offensive tackle really get better at handling speed off the edge if he’s not quick enough?
set his feet better.

But if you don't have speed rush in practice its hard to get better at it.

We are tied for 125th in rushing attempts per game vs FBS teams. Try being balanced and the pass rush slows down.

I dont know that rushing slows the pass rush. Felt like Stan just said we are coming on many of the plays.

A couple bad throws, a couple bad reads a couple drops. It adds up.

I wonder if Nixon being out had some effect as well.. He is a better pass blocker. We were limited in what we did with Willis and Allen had to play more.

I believe McCord has one QB sneak, so the rest of his runs were either scrambles or sacks (pass plays). Going off of that we are calling 22.33 runs per game and 46.67 passes per game. That is out of whack. You cannot call over 2/3rds of your plays as passes and expect the D to play honest. It is a lot easier to cover and get a pass rush when you have no fear of the running game. Our RBs are only getting 19.33 runs per game! They might not even reach 1000 yards as a unit if this keeps up.

Edit

It is kinda crazy that we have only had 69 plays per game. But IMO that goes back to the D. We aren't allowing TDs but the games are being shortened by not getting off the field. That being said if we are only going to have 70 plays, I would like to see that be 40 pass and 30 run. Not 47-23.

Last edited:
I was surprised Enrique Cruz Jr couldn't land a starting job on the oline. I have to trust the coaches though. I also expected to see Joe Cruz and Dave Wohlabaugh Jr push for playing time as well.
Wohlabaugh has been injured, I’m not sure if he’s even really available yet.

We are tied for 125th in rushing attempts per game vs FBS teams. Try being balanced and the pass rush slows down.

The reason it’s so unbalanced is due to the OL play

A lot of times we are in empty set or we motion into empty set. This makes the defense have to spread out and make sure they have coverage.

It also allows the OL to be able to read coverages etc better because the defense is spread out.

However, even with that our OL is way too slow on the edges. Washington simply can’t move quick enough to be out there. He will constantly be blown away by edge rushers that have speed and he’s going to run into that a lot in the month of October.

I’m hoping we see some changes on the OL heading into Holy Cross to prep for UNLV.

I dont know that rushing slows the pass rush. Felt like Stan just said we are coming on many of the plays.

A couple bad throws, a couple bad reads a couple drops. It adds up.

I wonder if Nixon being out had some effect as well.. He is a better pass blocker. We were limited in what we did with Willis and Allen had to play more.
It does because they can't just tee off every down. But we can't have more rushing attempts until we get better at rushing. We have too many no gain or negative plays running the ball. Even if we could consistently get 3, we could make defenses play honest and not get behind the sticks.

However, even with that our OL is way too slow on the edges. Washington simply can’t move quick enough to be out there. He will constantly be blown away by edge rushers that have speed
But our new OL coach wanted him real baaaddd! Doubt he gets demoted for the next game.

A lot of times we are in empty set or we motion into empty set. This makes the defense have to spread out and make sure they have coverage.

It also allows the OL to be able to read coverages etc better because the defense is spread out.

However, even with that our OL is way too slow on the edges. Washington simply can’t move quick enough to be out there. He will constantly be blown away by edge rushers that have speed and he’s going to run into that a lot in the month of October.

I’m hoping we see some changes on the OL heading into Holy Cross to prep for UNLV.
It probably wouldn't hurt to go back and watch film on Washington at Colorado last year to see if he had issues with edge rushers then. Not saying he didn't, but also wondering if maybe he just had a bad game too.

It does because they can't just tee off every down. But we can't have more rushing attempts until we get better at rushing. We have too many no gain or negative plays running the ball. Even if we could consistently get 3, we could make defenses play honest and not get behind the sticks.

Agreed. 30% of our rush attempts went for no gain or a loss (and I think two of them resulted in offensive holding penalties).

This has got to be a coaching issue as much, or if not more than, a personnel issue.

If Dale Williams can't pull this thing together in 4 more games, he's gotta be on the outs heading into next season.

He always seemed be the head-scratching hire on the coaching side. And you don't mess with OLine coaching. It has been said a thousand times. It makes or breaks your team

I believe McCord has one QB sneak, so the rest of his runs were either scrambles or sacks (pass plays). Going off of that we are calling 22.33 runs per game and 46.67 passes per game. That is out of whack. You cannot call over 2/3rds of your plays as passes and expect the D to play honest. It is a lot easier to cover and get a pass rush when you have no fear of the running game. Our RBs are only getting 19.33 runs per game! They might not even reach 1000 yards as a unit if this keeps up.

Edit

It is kinda crazy that we have only had 69 plays per game. But IMO that goes back to the D. We aren't allowing TDs but the games are being shortened by not getting off the field. That being said if we are only going to have 70 plays, I would like to see that be 40 pass and 30 run. Not 47-23.
I think we probably walked into a game against a statistically bad pass D with a game plan that was pass heavy (take what they give). Once it was determined that we couldn't run, well that kinda kills the ability to adjust the game plan.

What are the chances the OL coach has "the talk" in the offseason?

What are the chances the OL coach has "the talk" in the offseason?

With Enrique????

Little to none, he’s the only guy whose played in games this season that isn’t in the starting lineup

This has got to be a coaching issue as much, or if not more than, a personnel issue.

If Dale Williams can't pull this thing together in 4 more games, he's gotta be on the outs heading into next season.
How about we pull the trigger now if there's a decent candidate out there? Can't piss away this season before making staff adjustments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom