"The Irishman" ok

"Jojo Rabbit" ok

"Joker" Ehh

"Little Women" n/a

"Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood" good

"Marriage Story" n/a

"Parasite" ok

"1917" pretty good

honestly not sure I would put any of these in the I hope it wins an oscar category . pretty week field.

i would put all of these ahead of all of them.

Knives out
peanut butter falcon
Artic
Avengers
yesterday
Star wars

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood may be the worst movie I’ve ever seen. Just my opinion.

"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and "The Irishman" are two of the most self-indulgent flicks of the last decade, if not this century.

I'll take Tree of Life as the all time winner on that one. Still can't comprehend how anyone could enjoy it.

"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and "The Irishman" are two of the most self-indulgent flicks of the last decade, if not this century.
the irishmen is just slow and plodding where the sum of the pieces does not equal the finished product.

Parasite was the movie that had me thinking and talking the most after I saw it. Great acting, photography and very unpredictable.

Just saw Ford v Ferrari. I'm not a racing fan and wasn't aware of much of the story. I was engaged from beginning to end. Loved that there was little in the way of obvious CGI. Great action scenes to go with great character development.

Didn't see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but Tarrentino has lost me over the years.

Want to see 1917 in a theatre. Trying not to read any reviews so I can see it with a fresh perspective.

Last edited:
Thought Joker was great because it could happen in real life. Don’t care about the DC lore as much.

I felt Joker seemed like a story about a guy acting like he had issues instead of a story about a guy with issues.. Its tie in to the DC world they have created was hokey at best

Parasite was not what I expected and I tried to go in not knowing anything. It was an interesting idea and had its moments but I didnt think it connected all that well into a whole story but I give it high marks for creativity.
I think they had a chance to make a really solid movie but didnt complete it.

Once upon a time is a decent movie Pitt is really good.. not sure its an oscar movie. not really a story just a rambling time thru hollywood late 60s with some set pieces that are nicely done.

A bunch i havent seen yet but

"Ford v Ferrari" good

"The Irishman" ok

"Jojo Rabbit" ok

"Joker" Ehh

"Little Women" n/a

"Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood" good

"Marriage Story" n/a

"Parasite" ok

"1917" pretty good

honestly not sure I would put any of these in the I hope it wins an oscar category . pretty week field.

i would put all of these ahead of all of them.

Knives out
peanut butter falcon
Artic
Avengers
yesterday
Star wars
Little Women was great.

the irishmen is just slow and plodding where the sum of the pieces does not equal the finished product.
It bored me, almost to tears. That said, Pesci could win for best supporting actor. He was great.

Just watched The Irishman and thought it was great. I think i liked it better than the other Scorcese gangster flicks. It reminded me of "Once Upon a Time in America, which was also very good.

This was the best year in cinema we've had in many years. i usually sit through previews and say to myself, "We'll I'll skip that...that too, etc. But this year each preview for weeks looked fascinating. I'm going to wind up seeing 25 films, about three times more than I normally do. the best were "Motherless Brooklyn", (and I'm stunned that Edward Norton wasn't nominated for anything), Harriet, 1917, Little Women, Just Mercy and the Irishman. I still need to see "Marriage Story" on Netflicks, which i plan to do tomorrow and then, for the first time in memory I will have seen all the best picture nominees.

off the list of nominees I'm looking at, (Entertainment Weekly), I'd go for:

Best Picture: 1917
Best Director: Sam Mendes
Best Actor: Jonathan Pryce, the Two Popes (I would have preferred Norton)
Best Actress: Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
Best Supporting Actor: Al Pacino, The irishman
Best Supporting Actress: Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit

Just watched The Irishman and thought it was great. I think i liked it better than the other Scorcese gangster flicks. It reminded me of "Once Upon a Time in America, which was also very good.

This was the best year in cinema we've had in many years. i usually sit through previews and say to myself, "We'll I'll skip that...that too, etc. But this year each preview for weeks looked fascinating. I'm going to wind up seeing 25 films, about three times more than I normally do. the best were "Motherless Brooklyn", (and I'm stunned that Edward Norton wasn't nominated for anything), Harriet, 1917, Little Women, Just Mercy and the Irishman. I still need to see "Marriage Story" on Netflicks, which i plan to do tomorrow and then, for the first time in memory I will have seen all the best picture nominees.

Saw Marriage Story, which makes this the first year in memory that I have actually seen all the best picture nominees. It was another good flick but a bit too long for it's subject matter. performances are good and it was was touching a the end. it really should have been called "Divorce Story" since it's about what happens when two flawed but basically nice people separated by their profession decide to end their marriage and finds out that there's no way to do it that isn't at best messy. the fathers' disastrous attempt to impress a social worker that he can take care of his son was perhaps the best scene.

It can be added to the incredibly long list of good movies I've sen this year but it didn't change any of my selections.

Of these, I have only seen Little Women and 1917. I thought Little Women was far superior and I enjoyed 1917.

i didn't see joker, but here are my votes
film: parasite
director: bong joon ho
actor: pryce
actress: erivo
supporting actor: i don't really care; shia should have been nominated for either/both peanut butter falcon/honey boy
supporting actress: again i don't care, should have been zhao shu-zhen, the grandmother in the farewell

if parasite was an american movie it wouldnt even have been noticed or nominated.

if parasite was an american movie it wouldnt even have been noticed or nominated.

There's not a long history of Korean movies getting noticed or nominated.

yup. most foreign get ignored by the casual fans. Still i thought it was a nice movie not an Oscar movie. If a horror comedy ish movie is gonna win he Oscar it should have been Shaun of the Dead

My predictions...

Picture: 1917
Director: Sam Mendes
Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
Actress: Renee Zellweger
Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt
Supporting Actress: Laura Dern
Original Screenplay: Parasite
Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
Animated Feature: Toy Story 4
Documentary Feature: American Factory
International Feature: Parasite
Production Design: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Cinematography: 1917
Original Score: Joker
Original Song: Rocketman
Editing: Ford v Ferrari
Visual Effects: Avengers: Endgame
Costume Design: Little Women
Makeup: Bombshell
Sound Editing: Ford v Ferrari
Sound Mixing: Ford v Ferrari
Documentary Short: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone
Animated Short: Hair Love
Live Action Short: Brotherhood

My predictions...

Picture: 1917
Director: Sam Mendes
Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
Actress: Renee Zellweger
Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt
Supporting Actress: Laura Dern
Original Screenplay: Parasite
Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
Animated Feature: Toy Story 4
Documentary Feature: American Factory
International Feature: Parasite
Production Design: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Cinematography: 1917
Original Score: Joker
Original Song: Rocketman
Editing: Ford v Ferrari
Visual Effects: Avengers: Endgame
Costume Design: Little Women
Makeup: Bombshell
Sound Editing: Ford v Ferrari
Sound Mixing: Ford v Ferrari
Documentary Short: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone
Animated Short: Hair Love
Live Action Short: Brotherhood

Are those also your preferences?

yup. most foreign get ignored by the casual fans. Still i thought it was a nice movie not an Oscar movie. If a horror comedy ish movie is gonna win he Oscar it should have been Shaun of the Dead

I liked it much better when I watched it than when I went home and read the reviews that said it was one of the greatest movies ever and blew away anything else that came out this year. :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom