The Outsider | Syracusefan.com

The Outsider

No spoilers -- going to catch up this week.

Very well done, and original. Only a few series that I can't wait all week to watch on Sunday, this is one.

I’ll have to check it out. I read yesterday it’s similar to “the stranger” on Netflix which I liked. I almost bailed on it in the 2nd episode b/c I thought it was getting a little stupid and there is a lot going on but I was sucked in by episode 3

I’ll have to check it out. I read yesterday it’s similar to “the stranger” on Netflix which I liked. I almost bailed on it in the 2nd episode b/c I thought it was getting a little stupid and there is a lot going on but I was sucked in by episode 3
That's funny we watched that while we're watching this one. I think The Stranger was solid, the final episode was so so. Very curious where this one goes. We just started Unbelievable last week.

How many episodes is this going to be? I think it is going to be hard to wrap this up in 1-3 more episodes, but I am looking forward to it. The funny thing is my wife picked this show for us to watch since I have picked too many sci-fi shows (i.e. the Watchman and Westworld most recently) and this show is more sci-fi than anything I have picked.

How many episodes is this going to be? I think it is going to be hard to wrap this up in 1-3 more episodes, but I am looking forward to it. The funny thing is my wife picked this show for us to watch since I have picked too many sci-fi shows (i.e. the Watchman and Westworld most recently) and this show is more sci-fi than anything I have picked.
3 episodes remain for a total of 10.

Not sure it can be wrapped up this season.

Actually, I hope it isn’t. I’m enjoying it too much.

So, I was late to the game. Began recording this season back in January [?] when it began, but my wife inadvertently deleted the group of episodes from the DVR, since she didn't recognize what it was. I don't remember how many episodes I'd recorded [about 7?], but I hadn't watched any of them and was planning to binge them at some point. Promptly forgot about it shortly thereafter, once the damage was done.

Last week, the DVR recorded a marathon HBO was running, since I had it set to record the original series. Given the circumstances, and with nothing new worthwhile to watch, I finally checked it out Friday night. Watched the first two on Friday, next two on Saturday [only because my wife eventually wanted to watch something else that night, which killed me because I was in the flow with this series], and then watched four more on Sunday. Got up early today before the kids at 5am to watch the last two this morning.

No spoilers.

Outstanding. Not especially scary, but solid throughout. The first episode was one of the tightest, most compelling lead off "stories" I've seen -- definitely hooked me and made me want to see more. Satisfying ending, too.

Mendelson is consistently excellent. And the woman who played Holly Gibney -- while a totally different take than the Holly from Mr. Mercedes [which was similarly excellent, IMO] -- was really compelling; she did an excellent job of portraying such an offbeat character. Thought Jason Bateman [who I was surprised to learn directed the first two episodes] did a terrific job with his character, as well.

For anyone who is a fan of Stephen King, he's really found the right niche with these long form versions of his books. And now that they can swear, show more violence and more graphically scary / psychologically "terrifying" content, the modern streaming series is a perfect format for portraying his books.

Especially compared to cinema movies, which are mostly just too short, and have too much content cut out of necessity. Example -- the Pet Semetary remake from a few years ago.

In any event, this was really good. HIGHLY recommend.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom