The PAT (No, Not That One) | Syracusefan.com

The PAT (No, Not That One)

Doc5120

Starter
Yes, we won. Yes, I'm ecstatic about that. But can someone please explain to me the logic in kicking a PAT to go up 5 points with 16 seconds left? You go for 2, you're up 6, or you don't get it and you're up 4 (no different than 5). So if (God forbid), VT scores a TD, we at least have a chance (slim as it may be) to keep the game tied if they miss/we block their PAT. I, for the life of me, could not figure out what Dino was thinking in that situation. Especially given our earlier blunder on the blocked PAT that was returned for 2. If ever there was an obvious time to go for 2, that seemed to be it.

Honestly, as a result of the earlier fiasco, I would've just taken a knee on the PAT. I know that the odds of another PAT being blocked and returned are incredibly slim, but if that were to happen, VT suddenly goes from needing a miracle touchdown to just having to get into FG range for a kick that wins them the game.

Yes, we won. Yes, I'm ecstatic about that. But can someone please explain to me the logic in kicking a PAT to go up 5 points with 16 seconds left? You go for 2, you're up 6, or you don't get it and you're up 4 (no different than 5). So if (God forbid), VT scores a TD, we at least have a chance (slim as it may be) to keep the game tied if they miss/we block their PAT. I, for the life of me, could not figure out what Dino was thinking in that situation. Especially given our earlier blunder on the blocked PAT that was returned for 2. If ever there was an obvious time to go for 2, that seemed to be it.

Because it wouldn't matter. 4, 5, or 6 -- it meant that VT wouldn't be able to score a FG and would have to go for a TD. Even if SU converted a two-point conversion to get to 6, they could still lose on a TD. So going for it wouldn't have mattered.

I get that VT could potentially have missed an XP, but I think that what you're suggesting might be overthinking it a bit.

No offense intended, I get what you're saying.

I think Shrader’s status influenced that decision. Dino wasn’t giving the keys to a backup in that instance and for sure wasn’t going to put Shrader out there after taking a big hit.

yeah turning 5 into a 3pt lead would have sucked. but also better odds of a mistake on offense than returning 2 Xps in one game. we also had no TOs and no QB we wanted to use. could have gone wildcat i guess but they would just dare us to throw it too.

You’re right. At the time — and it was quickly forgotten by me because we won — I thought that we should have taken a knee instead of trying for the PAT.

I’d rather be up by 4 with VT having to go 100 yards in 19 seconds than possibly having the PAT blocked and taken back for 2 points again. If that disaster happened again, then SU is up 40-38 and now VT only needs to get into FG range in their 19 seconds.

I think Shrader’s status influenced that decision. Dino wasn’t giving the keys to a backup in that instance and for sure wasn’t going to put Shrader out there after taking a big hit.

Shrader being hurt didn't cross my mind. I guess it was because he jumped up and high fived 1 of the coaches (or whoever that guy is) on our sideline, so I assuemd he was OK. Even without Shrader, put Jacobian in. He should be able to catch a snap and hand it off to Tucker, or try sneaking it in himself. I just didn't like kicking the PAT after what we went through with Andre earlier, both on the blocked PAT & missed FG.

Shrader being hurt didn't cross my mind. I guess it was because he jumped up and high fived 1 of the coaches (or whoever that guy is) on our sideline, so I assuemd he was OK. Even without Shrader, put Jacobian in. He should be able to catch a snap and hand it off to Tucker, or try sneaking it in himself. I just didn't like kicking the PAT after what we went through with Andre earlier, both on the blocked PAT & missed FG.

I guess the one (small) positive of that PAT - and making it - is that it helped get our ST's back on track.

Show them all we can indeed execute what should normally be a pretty routine play.

Good point. Shrader had just gotten rocked standing in the pocket to make that throw.
144% agree. Zero reason to subject Schrader to one more hit for a 1/500 chance that VT scores a TD and then misses the extra-point. And I would say that even if #16 did not get flattened on the previous play.

Last edited:
had had to come out anyway since he caused the delay. imagine if we had to actually run a play what would have happened.

Because it wouldn't matter. 4, 5, or 6 -- it meant that VT wouldn't be able to score a FG and would have to go for a TD. Even if SU converted a two-point conversion to get to 6, they could still lose on a TD. So going for it wouldn't have mattered.

I get that VT could potentially have missed an XP, but I think that what you're suggesting might be overthinking it a bit.

Really? You need to give your team the best chance to win however unlikely. If they score a TD then the could have a bad snap, missed PAT, or blocked PAT. None of those are very likely but they are better than a 0.0% chance by kicking the PAT.

Even if Shrader is hurt put in the backup and call your best run play for Tucker. It is still a better move than the PAT.

There was ZERO reason to kick the PAT. It was a simple decision.

Really? You need to give your team the best chance to win however unlikely. If they score a TD then the could have a bad snap, missed PAT, or blocked PAT. None of those are very likely but they are better than a 0.0% chance by kicking the PAT.

Even if Shrader is hurt put in the backup and call your best run play for Tucker. It is still a better move than the PAT.

it could also be that Dino was out looking at the QB for most of the time the decision was actually going to be made to go for 2. Going for 2 is probably the better play 99% of the time..

Could a team decline the PAT attempt and go straight to kickoff?

Yes, really. Shrader had just gotten hurt. The backup just quit the team mid-week.

I understand what you guys are suggesting, but see SU94's post above.

Because the qb just got laid out on the previous play, sending the o back out there wasn't on the mind.

Yes, really. Shrader had just gotten hurt. The backup just quit the team mid-week.

I understand what you guys are suggesting, but see SU94's post above.

What benefit is there in kicking the PAT? There is a benefit in taking a knee. There is a benefit in going for two. It is asinine to take the one option that offers you no benefit whatsoever and also has the biggest risk. Chances are the decision will not come into play, but it almost did. If it CAN come into play, why would you not do what is best to protect yourself? This is just common sense.

XP’s are missed all the time. There were 171 XP’s missed Saturday between D1-D3. I would suggest Dino was actually underthinking it if
you’ll allow me to make up a term.

if only we had the best RB in the country to hand it off to. Sigh

What benefit is there in kicking the PAT? There is a benefit in taking a knee. There is a benefit in going for two. It is asinine to take the one option that offers you no benefit whatsoever and also has the biggest risk. Chances are the decision will not come into play, but it almost did. If it CAN come into play, why would you not do what is best to protect yourself? This is just common sense.

The benefit of not giving the opposing team any positive momentum after giving up the game losing touchdown. The benefit of avoiding playing not to lose.

I can only imagine the board's reaction to Dino taking a knee in lieu of kicking the PAT.

Hard to envision any coaches doing that. Again, I understand the PTSD over the blocked PAT in the first half.
Seem to be some diametrically opposed viewpoints on this, judging from this thread. Interesting.

Last edited:
You are spot on,can’t believe some people don’t understand it was a dumb move.

You are spot on,can’t believe some people don’t understand it was a dumb move.
Last time we played VA Tech we blocked a PAT. And it wouldn't be a run of the mill PAT. It is for the win which puts more pressure on the snapper, the holder, the kicker, and the blockers. Even if it is a 1 in 100 chance, it is better than a 0 in 100 chance.

Could a team decline the PAT attempt and go straight to kickoff?
Technically no. But you could line up like you’re going for 2 and just take a knee or spike the ball and it goes down as a failed conversion attempt.

Honestly, as a result of the earlier fiasco, I would've just taken a knee on the PAT. I know that the odds of another PAT being blocked and returned are incredibly slim, but if that were to happen, VT suddenly goes from needing a miracle touchdown to just having to get into FG range for a kick that wins them the game.

I was 100% on board with taking a knee there.

Mathematically it makes sense, but I don’t think we were about to run a good play there. You going to be happy running Morgan out there for the conversion? I’m not sure Shrader would have been eligible because he had to be helped off the field and we were out of time outs.

i have no issues with kicking there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom