The perfect storm... | Syracusefan.com

The perfect storm...

They’re a better team at home. But they’re also the third best 3 point shooting team in the country. The zone isn’t a good choice against that offense. And our offense, without a post presence,isn’t suited to face an aggressive man to man defense. Hope we don’t play them again.

Not to mention Va Tech had five days to prepare and SU only had two.

Going into tonight I figured Syracuse had little-to-no chance of winning considering the circumstances. Hokies are a very good team. The Orangemen will bounce back.

The perfect storm was that SU’s heads were Inflated after 7/8 wins and they were out for blood at home. It was obvious going into this game.

This is we are folks...a team who can beat anyone when we shoot lights out but one that cerainly isn’t capable of consistently beating a Top 15 squad. This is a different era, an era where our talent is not elite and we play to our strengths the best we can. Seems like until something changes we will wallow as a Top 20-40 team which is a far cry from the glory days. Boeheim has often said in the past that you have to have good players in order to compete in the high-level consistently and the facts are our caliber of players is second tier. Sure, we will have our moments where we really get excited about the team and think we have huge capability but a game like today, even though they shot lights out and the refs were terrible, I realize more and more that we are mainly a mediocre team. I wish it was different and I’m still hopeful of getting into the tournament and making a little run but we are not elite by any stretch of the imagination and I suppose we better get used to it

This is we are folks...a team who can beat anyone when we shoot lights out but one that cerainly isn’t capable of consistently beating a Top 15 squad. This is a different era, an era where our talent is not elite and we play to our strengths the best we can. Seems like until something changes we will wallow as a Top 20-40 team which is a far cry from the glory days. Boeheim has often said in the past that you have to have good players in order to compete in the high-level consistently and the facts are our caliber of players is second tier. Sure, we will have our moments where we really get excited about the team and think we have huge capability but a game like today, even though they shot lights out and the refs were terrible, I realize more and more that we are mainly a mediocre team. I wish it was different and I’m still hopeful of getting into the tournament and making a little run but we are not elite by any stretch of the imagination and I suppose we better get used to it
I think you overestimate. SYR is outside the Top 20-40 window. Despite the two NCAA runs in the last five years we are a decidedly mediocre program always on the bubble. We are a 40+ program close to 50. It's hard to accept this is where we have fallen.

I think you overestimate. SYR is outside the Top 20-40 window. Despite the two NCAA runs in the last five years we are a decidedly mediocre program always on the bubble. We are a 40+ program close to 50. It's hard to accept this is where we have fallen.

And this is the problem that people either aren’t recognizing or accepting. And you can’t work on a problem until you accept it. We just aren’t that good and haven’t been in a long while.

Not to mention Va Tech had five days to prepare and SU only had two.

Going into tonight I figured Syracuse had little-to-no chance of winning considering the circumstances. Hokies are a very good team. The Orangemen will bounce back.

This was a scheduled loss. burn the tape and they're onto Boston College

Sorry Hughes, Brissett, and batttle equals elite talent. This continuous assault on the talent on this team is ridiculous, we are a good center from being top 10.

Sorry Hughes, Brissett, and batttle equals elite talent. This continuous assault on the talent on this team is ridiculous, we are a good center from being top 10.

When I think “elite talent”, I think Coleman, Anthony, Owens, Pearl, Flynn, Wallace, Warrick...guys like that. I don’t think we have anyone like that.

Battle is a very good college player, and I think Hughes is becoming that as well.

Brissett - I wouldn’t put up there yet. I still think he has that potential. But I’d say he’s a decent college player at this point.

Jim got too enamored with guys that had wing spans like Condors vs guys that could dribble and shoot. Going with athletes vs basketball players. 2s that he thought would morph into PGs long armed pogo sticks that couldnt hit the broadside of the dome. This last class actually has a couple of basketball players. Guys who might just shoot better than 50% from the foul line and can dribble with either hand and actually catch the ball. It cracks me up when Buddy is criticized for being to slow to play the Zone. Or Hughes doesnt have the wing span to play the backline. We need basketball players. Dribble, pass, shoot, catch. If a kid doesnt have at a minimum 2 of those skills it doesn't matter that they have size, length, height. Last night we got destroyed by a bunch of smurfs that actually are basketball players.

Sounds like you’re playing horseshoes. Close doesn’t count and this team is flawed and gets exposed on a regular basis.

I guess it depends on what you call Elite talent. I call Elite talent a first rounder in the draft and/or a Top 30 or so player out of High School. Battle is in that conversation at least but Brissett and Hughes most certainly do not. You can name a player or two on virtually any ACC team with similar talent to Hughes?Brissett. I though Brissett would have a better year but he can't shoot and can't finish. Believe me, I wish it wasn't so. When you have a Duke, KY, North Carolina, Kansas and even probably about 10 other consistently getting or markedly better recruits than we do, it kind of proves what I am trying to say. I do think we do a good job at scouting but my comment was in no way an assault on anything but a comment on reality vs. the past.

Sad that a program with the storied history like Syracuse should ever have a scheduled loss

They had a week, SU had a day. Preseason you could circle that game and give SU a low shot to win. Like NBA teams that are playing the 4th game in 6 nights on a road trip

When I think “elite talent”, I think Coleman, Anthony, Owens, Pearl, Flynn, Wallace, Warrick...guys like that. I don’t think we have anyone like that.

Battle is a very good college player, and I think Hughes is becoming that as well.

Brissett - I wouldn’t put up there yet. I still think he has that potential. But I’d say he’s a decent college player at this point.

What does Hughes do other than shoot the 3 at a decent clip? He has limited handle...not a great rebounder or passer...not an elite defender. In my opinion hes a good player, but nothing even bordering elite...and that's fine..but people are so used to seeing marginal talent on these recent teams that they elevate their idea as to what a player like Hughes is.

What does Hughes do other than shoot the 3 at a decent clip? He has limited handle...not a great rebounder or passer...not an elite defender. In my opinion hes a good player, but nothing even bordering elite...and that's fine..but people are so used to seeing marginal talent on these recent teams that they elevate their idea as to what a player like Hughes is.

You make some valid points, though I think (at least in some games) Hughes has boarded pretty decent. But yeah, in regards to him being elite, I agree, at least not yet anyways. I didn't know anything about him until it was made public that he was transferring from ECU to SU. If he was such an "elite" player, I'm not sure how he ended up there, possibly academics? I wonder who his offers were from when he was a prep?

Name the 40+ programs that are better.
I can't believe no one took this quiz!
Duke
Virginia
Michigan St
Kentucky
N Carolina
Kansas
Nova (@%#$&!)
Done.

In my opinion SU is on par with Gonzaga, Michigan, Louisville. Other schools may be having more success this season record wise but that doesn't make them better programs.

The perfect storm was that SU’s heads were Inflated after 7/8 wins and they were out for blood at home. It was obvious going into this game.

What blows my mind is how on god's green earth THIS team can ever get an inflated head! Blows. My. Mind.

What blows my mind is how on god's green earth THIS team can ever get an inflated head! Blows. My. Mind.

If mareks head was inflated..I shudder at how skinny it was before

That has me womdering. Who was the last elite player we had?

Agreed. Which is why I didn’t put him in the elite player category.

I do think he’ll go down in the very good college player category though.

And I think his 3 point shooting ability will approach elite before he’s done here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom