The performance of our bench players is a glaring weakness | Syracusefan.com

The performance of our bench players is a glaring weakness

domestu

Scout Team
Our opponents bench players have outscored SU's subs 297-90 this season. And over half of our bench points came against Lafayette, Colgate and Brown. For all the talk about giving Frank, Benny and Symir more playing time, none of them has shown any ability to score. They are all playing over ten minutes a game but it is a rarity when one of them makes two baskets. Our subs made only one field goal in our two ACC contests and were held scoreless by Villanova. It is going to be a long winter if our bench players are not more productive in conference play. Go Cuse!

Every team's subs have outscored our bench this season. All of them had at least ten bench points and nine opponents got over twenty from their subs. Our bench has only reached double figures four times.

What are the minute break downs can’t really take counting stats with looking at how many minutes our bench is playing versus other teams benches.

Like if their bench scores 25 points in 50 minutes of action that would be the same as our bench scoring 5 points in the 10 minutes of action they get.

What are the minute break downs can’t really take counting stats with looking at how many minutes our bench is playing versus other teams benches.

Like if their bench scores 25 points in 50 minutes of action that would be the same as our bench scoring 5 points in the 10 minutes of action they get.
This season's bench is remarkably unproductive offensively on a per minute basis. So far, all of them have been reluctant (and bad) shooters. The idea of starting any of them and feeding them big minutes is ridiculous.

The bench is weak by design. The fly in the ointment is that we didn’t expect Williams to be so subpar. The other two were never intended to get more than token minutes. This is a team purpose built to be 6.5 deep.

Our opponents are averaging 23 points a game from their bench players. We have three subs who are playing over ten minutes a game and each is averaging two points. This team does not have anyone who can come off the bench and provide a spark by knocking down some baskets.

Believe me, looking at bench points per minutes played isn't going to make you feel better. Here are the figures against our better opponents. Virginia got 11 bench points in 42 minutes/ SU had 4 points in 31 minutes. VCU 23 bench points in 65 minutes vs. SU 0 bench points in 36 minutes. Arizona St. had 25 bench points in 64 minutes vs. SU 2 points in 17 minutes. Auburn had 33 bench points in 79 minutes vs SU 11 points in 54 minutes. Indiana 10 bench points in 49 minutes vs. SU 6 points in 36 minutes. Florida St. had 25 bench points in 80 minutes vs. SU 1 point in 22 minutes. Nova 14 points in 27 minutes vs. SU 0 points in 19 minutes. Colgate 28 bench points in 48 minutes vs. SU 12 points in 42 minutes. Georgetown had 14 bench points in 47 minutes vs. SU 9 points in 19 minutes.

This season's bench is remarkably unproductive offensively on a per minute basis. So far, all of them have been reluctant (and bad) shooters. The idea of starting any of them and feeding them big minutes is ridiculous.
Made even worse by the fact this team has legitimately only 8 (9 w/ Mr. Sidibe) players that should even see the court in a game.

This isn’t just playing an 8 man rotation because. There is legit nobody else. It’s pretty crazy.

And yes, the lack of offensive ability 6-8 is pretty stunning. Another reason to try Symir with the starters, or Benny. As has been stated, the floor and ceiling in terms of scoring threats both substantially lower when we have 2 or 3 bench players in together.

Our opponents bench players have outscored SU's subs 297-90 this season. And over half of our bench points came against Lafayette, Colgate and Brown. For all the talk about giving Frank, Benny and Symir more playing time, none of them has shown any ability to score. They are all playing over ten minutes a game but it is a rarity when one of them makes two baskets. Our subs made only one field goal in our two ACC contests and were held scoreless by Villanova. It is going to be a long winter if our bench players are not more productive in conference play. Go Cuse!

I could not agree more. Not to say that they don’t bring other things to the table, but when one of them actually puts the ball in the basket I expect confetti to fall from the new roof. In a collective 31 minutes vs UVA they scored 4 points. Sadly, that is not out of character for this year’s bench.

That’s all on JB. He built the roster and he has several open scholarships. He said they turned several players away. He doesn’t want a bench because he doesn’t want to be questioned about who should play. The roster for next year looks even worse with potentially only three forwards again and two being freshmen. I have no faith in them going to the portal to find players. They obviously didn’t knock it out of the park this year.

I could not agree more. Not to say that they don’t bring other things to the table, but when one of them actually puts the ball in the basket I expect confetti to fall from the new roof. In a collective 31 minutes vs UVA they scored 4 points. Sadly, that is not out of character for this year’s bench.
Bench players can make important contributions beyond shooting but the inability of Frank, Benny and Symir to put the ball in the basket is really hurting this team. It has gotten to the point whenever SU has three starters on the bench and our opponent is going on a run that I no longer believe all three of them can be in the game at the same time. It places severe limitations on Boeheim's ability to rest the starters and put a productive lineup on the court. It doesn't seem to matter who our opponent is. These guys struggle to score against everybody. Cornell's subs scored 38 points in 95 minutes against us while our bench only had 5 points in 44 minutes of action.

Our starting lineup has enough talent to win a lot of ACC games this year but the performance of our bench players is impacting our ability to come out on top in these contests. Go Cuse!

The bench is weak by design. The fly in the ointment is that we didn’t expect Williams to be so subpar. The other two were never intended to get more than token minutes. This is a team purpose built to be 6.5 deep.
I am also convinced if Benny was more effective, we would see Jimmy at the 5. A better Benny would cut Frank’s minutes, not Jimmys

Bench players can make important contributions beyond shooting but the inability of Frank, Benny and Symir to put the ball in the basket is really hurting this team. It has gotten to the point whenever SU has three starters on the bench and our opponent is going on a run that I no longer believe all three of them can be in the game at the same time. It places severe limitations on Boeheim's ability to rest the starters and put a productive lineup on the court. It doesn't seem to matter who our opponent is. These guys struggle to score against everybody. Cornell's subs scored 38 points in 95 minutes against us while our bench only had 5 points in 44 minutes of action.

Our starting lineup has enough talent to win a lot of ACC games this year but the performance of our bench players is impacting our ability to come out on top in these contests. Go Cuse!
Just so you know, there is no rule that says starters all need to rest at the same time. Crazy, I know!

Boeheim's ability to rest starters is not impeded whatsoever. What is impeded by the lack of offensive output by the bench, is JB's insistence on line changes instead of staggered breaks that would keep many of our better O players on the floor, and still get breaks one by one for the starters. With all of the supposed shooting Cole and Jimmy and Joe and Buddy are giving us, having Benny, or Symir, or Frank on the floor individually shouldn't put a break on scoring as many here think it would.

No one should have expected Symir to light it up on offense. His playmaking has been fine, and his defense has sparked the team at times. While his performance has been spotty, he's okay in a backup role.

Benny, on the other hand, has been a disappointment thus far. For a kid who many thought would start from day one, he has looked lost most of the time. I would guess JB thought he would give this team offense and energy off the bench, but that hasn't happened yet. And despite the narrative that he isn't getting enough minutes, that's just not the case. He has gotten plenty, but too often he's just played his way to bench.

The bench isn’t good, but neither are 3 of our starters.
I would hesitate to put this year's Girard in the category of not good starters, despite the UVA fiasco. Maybe it's because I've been watching/discussing more NBA lately, but writing off a guy shooting 47% from three (50% before the last two games) on 6 attempts a game seems misguided. His D infuriates me, but the D of 4 of our starters infuriates me, and until the last couple games he was more than making up for it on the other end of the court. Mark me down as a strong advocate for trying the Sy at PG, Girard SG, and Buddy SF lineup. The whole team besides Jesse is a D liability, and that includes Benny Sy and Frank (to a lesser extent). This year we can't write off a guy who actually converts on the other end at a very efficient rate.

The bench would be more productive if they were utilized properly. For example, Symir was a spark off the bench vs UVA the second half...offensive rebound, a loose ball, an assist off a drive. He increased the pace of our offense including both moving it up the floor and moving it horizontally. The difference was very noticeable. I was stunned to see him come out with 3:45 left...stunned (not really I guess). Just like Frank was extremely effective against GTown in the 1st half but yanked in the 2nd.

There have been times I could be convinced opposing coaches call time out on purpose - knowing that it will be too tempting for JB to pull the an effective reserve and go back to the "starters".

Boeheim's ability to rest starters is not impeded whatsoever. What is impeded by the lack of offensive output by the bench, is JB's insistence on line changes instead of staggered breaks that would keep many of our better O players on the floor, and still get breaks one by one for the starters. With all of the supposed shooting Cole and Jimmy and Joe and Buddy are giving us, having Benny, or Symir, or Frank on the floor individually shouldn't put a break on scoring as many here think it would.
When the guys you bring in off the bench lack the ability to score, it has a huge impact on the game. It limits the way JB can utilize substitutions and alters the flow of our offensive sets. And it allows opposing defenses to focus more attention on our shooters.

When opposing bench players are outscoring your subs 297 to 90, it is difficult to find effective ways to use these guys off the bench. Our starters have the talent to win a lot of games but Benny, Symir and Frank need to start making some baskets to help us do that. Go Cuse!

The bench players aren't the problem. The problem is the starters. If we had starters of the caliber of what we had 10 years ago, some of the guys we have starting now would be on the bench and we'd be talking about our great depth. It's a trickle down situation.

The bench players aren't the problem. The problem is the starters. If we had starters of the caliber of what we had 10 years ago, some of the guys we have starting now would be on the bench and we'd be talking about our great depth. It's a trickle down situation.
accurate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom