The perils of brackophilia | Syracusefan.com

The perils of brackophilia

PoppyHart

All American
Giuseppi Leonardi has Pitt as a 7 seed and Georgetown as a 12 seed

Pitt's best win, and ONLY win against a tourney team, is a neutral court win against Stanford (RPI 46, projected #10 seed)

Georgetown has 4 wins over tourney teams MSU (RPI 9, projected #2 seed, K. State (RPI 28, #7 seed), VCU (RPI 22, #8 seed) and Providence (55, 12).

Georgetown tested themselves OOC, with additional games against Oregon (in S. Korea), and at Lawrence. Stanford, meanwhile, was easily the best non-conference opponent Pitt played.

So, because Georgetown has a few more losses, and lost to Northeastern and Seton Hall, they are on the ropes? While a team that hasn't proven they can beat anyone is in the clear?

The 5 seed-line difference flies in the face of everything the NCAA claims they stand for in the selection process (quality OOC schedule, who did you beat, etc...). It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Its early yet. By the end of February they will be breaking all these things down. If Pitt doesn't at least split with UNC they are looking at a really sad resume for a 20+ win season toing into the ACCT

I'll be more interested in how the mock media session bracket comes out tomorrow. That will at least follow all NCAA procedures.

Not much to separate the 7 seeds to 12 seeds right now. This early a few bad losses hurt your resume. The committee values "bad losses" as much as quality wins.

They are too very different resumes
Georgetown has shown they can lose to anybody, but has nice wins.
Pitt has beat everybody outside of the top 50, and only lose to good teams, but can't beat anybody good

I can see the committee putting either above the other. Pitt's resume stands up if they avoid bad losses. Hope they lose some bad ones.

But still 10 games left to sort it out a bit more.

Last edited:
Giuseppi Leonardi has Pitt as a 7 seed and Georgetown as a 12 seed

Pitt's best win, and ONLY win against a tourney team, is a neutral court win against Stanford (RPI 46, projected #10 seed)

Georgetown has 4 wins over tourney teams MSU (RPI 9, projected #2 seed, K. State (RPI 28, #7 seed), VCU (RPI 22, #8 seed) and Providence (55, 12).

Georgetown tested themselves OOC, with additional games against Oregon (in S. Korea), and at Lawrence. Stanford, meanwhile, was easily the best non-conference opponent Pitt played.

So, because Georgetown has a few more losses, and lost to Northeastern and Seton Hall, they are on the ropes? While a team that hasn't proven they can beat anyone is in the clear?

The 5 seed-line difference flies in the face of everything the NCAA claims they stand for in the selection process (quality OOC schedule, who did you beat, etc...). It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
So, basically, you seem to be saying bad losses shouldn't count against a team. I'm fairly certain the committee has never claimed to ignore bad losses and only look at good wins.

So, basically, you seem to be saying bad losses shouldn't count against a team. I'm fairly certain the committee has never claimed to ignore bad losses and only look at good wins.

Bad losses should matter, and Northeastern is a bad loss. Seton Hall wasn't pretty, but not the worst thing in the world. That said, I think the proven ability to beat good teams is more important than the ability to not lose to bad teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom