The 2021-2022 Portal Cup | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021-2022 Portal Cup

There’s a lot of quality players still in the portal and a lot quality kids still hitting it daily.
Kirby has lost the locker room! But seriously, what is going on when the leading receiver from the national championship team bolts, especially when the starting QB is returning?

Kirby has lost the locker room! But seriously, what is going on when the leading receiver from the national championship team bolts, especially when the starting QB is returning?
Probably wants more then 497 and 5 . Seeking a more pass oriented program. Total guess on my part.

Me me me me me

If you're good, the NFL will find you.
He won a Natty. Nothing more to prove there. What's wrong with finding a situation where he can contribute more if that's what he wants and thinks he needs to have a longer football career?

All these very good to great teams losing very good to great players and we freak out because we lose back ups and special teamers. Plus we lost guys early because we weren’t bowling.

All these very good to great teams losing very good to great players and we freak out because we lose back ups and special teamers. Plus we lost guys early because we weren’t bowling.

You, with your facts and reason - there's no place for that here!

Won't anbody think about the #narrative??

We freak out because of depth reasons.

They don't because they have another 4* coming in or on the bench already.

Welcome to adult decisions.
I wonder if the next dumb decision in this fiasco will be allowing kids to have contact with other schools/coaches/boosters in order to evaluate their worth on the open market before declaring for the portal …. Then of course there are Agents.

Some smart corporation is going to officially register and brand the portal process. “Welcome to the Nike Portal, brought to you by Nike.” And, “Joe Somebody has officially entered his name in the Nike Portal.”

Last edited:
I wonder if the next dumb decision in this fiasco will be allowing kids to have contact with other schools/coaches/boosters in order to evaluate their worth on the open market…. Then of course there are Agents.

Some smart corporation is going to officially register and brand the portal process. “Welcome to the Nike Portal, brought to you by Nike.” And, “Joe Somebody has officially entered his name in the Nike Portal.”

You know, I was initially fully on board with an open portal and in some respects, I still am. However, Rick Neuheisel brought up a good analogy this morning on SiriusXM - Imagine if the portal existed for NFL. The 4 remaining QB's could theoretically walk right now and go to the highest bidder. But, they can't because of the CBA and contracts. Now, while I'm not a fan of unions, maybe a CBA or an enhanced, enforced contract between universities and players could slow down the portal. Why don't scholarship contracts have enforceable language tying the players to the school for the full year? Maybe it's something the NCAA/schools should consider.

You know, I was initially fully on board with an open portal and in some respects, I still am. However, Rick Neuheisel brought up a good analogy this morning on SiriusXM - Imagine if the portal existed for NFL. The 4 remaining QB's could theoretically walk right now and go to the highest bidder. But, they can't because of the CBA and contracts. Now, while I'm not a fan of unions, maybe a CBA or an enhanced, enforced contract between universities and players could slow down the portal. Why don't scholarship contracts have enforceable language tying the players to the school for the full year? Maybe it's something the NCAA/schools should consider.

Because once you make it a contract, then they are suddenly, definitely employees.

As it is now, they are there on their own free will

Because once you make it a contract, then they are suddenly, definitely employees.

The agreement to play in exchange for an education is a contract. Players that leave early are in breach. Realistically, the coaches know the kid does not want to be there (playing time, opportunity, grades, etc.), there is no reason to enforce the agreement, they agree to break the contract. A few schools may take back a kid after he enters the portal but there is no obligation on the school to do so. As has been discussed, many kids will realize they are giving up a scholarship for life. Adulting is hard.

The portal will settle down in time. Once players realize they are giving up more than a uniform and may be risking having to pay for school, they will think twice. The stars will have opportunity if they have no other issues, the grad students will likely have few issues, but the average kid will not be trading up and may be giving up a free education.

That's not true. You have contracts with Independent Contractors all the time. You sign other contracts as part of going to school. You sign a contract with viewing legal documents. Hell, people sign Non-Compete contracts in some cases when they LEAVE a company. There's all kinds of contracts that don't make you employees.

That's not true. You have contracts with Independent Contractors all the time. You sign other contracts as part of going to school. You sign a contract with viewing legal documents. Hell, people sign Non-Compete contracts in some cases when they LEAVE a company. There's all kinds of contracts that don't make you employees.
To add to your point, when a person buys something at a store, a contract is formed. There is no employment agreement, just a sale of goods.

Interesting if schools or conferences could institute their own Non Compete clauses once again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom