The 2021-2022 Portal Cup | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021-2022 Portal Cup

575 players still in the portal. So just a little under a half of the players who threw their names in the hat have possibly blown their chance at a free education. This needs fixing.

It's a choice made by adults. They know the risks.

If they don't land anywhere, they will unfortunately be remembered (collectively, not individually) as the pioneers that led people to think twice and ultimately less traffic in the portal.

You know, I was initially fully on board with an open portal and in some respects, I still am. However, Rick Neuheisel brought up a good analogy this morning on SiriusXM - Imagine if the portal existed for NFL. The 4 remaining QB's could theoretically walk right now and go to the highest bidder. But, they can't because of the CBA and contracts. Now, while I'm not a fan of unions, maybe a CBA or an enhanced, enforced contract between universities and players could slow down the portal. Why don't scholarship contracts have enforceable language tying the players to the school for the full year? Maybe it's something the NCAA/schools should consider.
I believe something like this is inevitable. IMO, Many NIL deals will be looked at as employment, paid by a 3rd party, by the IRS. They'll want some labor law to guide it. (Additional taxes, etc.) There will have to be a players organization to protect their end.

At that point? Some of this craziness can be curbed by both parties, to protect the team and the player. Might even be able to put some things in that aid in parity.

Last edited:
Maybe that Big 10/Pac 12/ACC new alliance will establish new inter conference ground rules for the portal/NIL etc?

I believe something like this is inevitable. IMO, Many NIL deals will be looked at as employment, paid by a 3rd party, by the IRS. They'll want some labor law to guide it. (Additional taxes, etc.) There will have to be a players organization to protect their end.

At that point? Some of this craziness can be curbed by both parties, to protect the team and the player. Might even be able to put some things in that aid in parity.

I don't think NIL will ever get to the level of employment. There are specific things the IRS looks for in considering the categorization of someone an employee vs an independent contractor. If Corporations can bring in contractors and essentially treat them like employees but still regard them as contractors in the eyes of the IRS, then NIL won't get to the employee/employer relationship level.

That said, there certainly does seem to be a lot of risk out there right now that needs to be mitigated.

I wonder if the next dumb decision in this fiasco will be allowing kids to have contact with other schools/coaches/boosters in order to evaluate their worth on the open market before declaring for the portal …. Then of course there are Agents.

Some smart corporation is going to officially register and brand the portal process. “Welcome to the Nike Portal, brought to you by Nike.” And, “Joe Somebody has officially entered his name in the Nike Portal.”
I'd be willing to bet the NCAA has already trademarked "The Portal" and several variations so a company couldn't try to brand it.

You know, I was initially fully on board with an open portal and in some respects, I still am. However, Rick Neuheisel brought up a good analogy this morning on SiriusXM - Imagine if the portal existed for NFL. The 4 remaining QB's could theoretically walk right now and go to the highest bidder. But, they can't because of the CBA and contracts. Now, while I'm not a fan of unions, maybe a CBA or an enhanced, enforced contract between universities and players could slow down the portal. Why don't scholarship contracts have enforceable language tying the players to the school for the full year? Maybe it's something the NCAA/schools should consider.
Players can leave a team at any time for a variety of reasons, like trying to improve their grades, etc. The players can only leave their present school for another one when a semester or quarter begins at their new school, just like any transfer student. If they've got at least half an operating brain, they'll wait to leave when the current semester/quarter ends at their present school. The only players that can leave in the middle of a school year are fall sports athletes, players whose seasons are already over.

I'd be willing to bet the NCAA has already trademarked "The Portal" and several variations so a company couldn't try to brand it.
Geicoportal.com and Adidasportal.com are both available.

Geicoportal.com and Adidasportal.com are both available.
And all NCAA HQ has to say is "You either use our portal only or you're ineligible," to end everything. There's no money to be made in it, so ...

Leave it to Cuse to blow a lead...

You know how Cuse do.

Where's our 2nd half adjustments??!!
Other coaches made changes, got more movement outta their players - why not us?? :p

And all NCAA HQ has to say is "You either use our portal only or you're ineligible," to end everything. There's no money to be made in it, so ...
And if Nike says to the ncaa “Here’s 1
$100 Million, we want exclusive rights to have our name associated with the portal.”?

And if Nike says to the ncaa “Here’s 1
$100 Million, we want exclusive rights to have our name associated with the portal.”?
Separate issue entirely. The NCAA controls everything about the Portal. Nike can't start their own. Gatorade, etc., can't start their own, which I took as the implication of the post. If Nike or anyone else is stupid enough to offer money to the NCAA for the naming rights, the NCAA leadership would not be following their fiduciary duty by not to listening to their spiel. Personally, if I was "Uncle Phil" in Oregon, I'd send the person floating this idea back to their office to rethink it several times over.

Here's what needs to be remembered. The Portal is just a website run by the NCAA. Players can register with it to indicate they want to transfer. That allows other schools to talk to them about transferring without incurring any penalties for tampering. If there's a unique marketing opportunity there, it doesn't stick out to me. The Portal existed for a couple of years before the removal of the requirement to sit out a year if a football, basketball, or hockey player transferred. Now, fans on message boards know who is trying to transfer in advance of the transfer, when, in the past, they only found out about when the player showed up on the roster of their new school. Scholarship limits and roster limits have not changed. Not every football player can transfer to Bama, Georgia, or Ohio State. Not every basketball player can transfer to Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky. Players have been transferring (and literally selling their services to the highest bidder) for well over a hundred years. Why are people suddenly upset about it?

I hope Taj has a big year and isn’t just being played by that scum Greg. He has a family to support and means well when all’s said and done. Unfortunately for us, and moreso himself, Taj spent most of his time at Syracuse growing up rather than focusing on being his best self on the field.

geez someone should put together a highlight tape of Harris' on field tempter tantrums and flailing his arms around. They're made for each other.

download.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom