The 2021-2022 Portal Cup | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021-2022 Portal Cup

Someone bring me up to speed. Wasn’t Taj committed to Ole Miss?

Someone bring me up to speed. Wasn’t Taj committed to Ole Miss?

He was committed to Kentucky.

Fell through. Last I recall, people suspected it was grades related, but who knows.

So “representatives” of ND approached Kenny Pickett last year trying to get him to enter the portal and xfer to ND. Yea, the portal blows in its current configuration. School representatives using burner phones etc etc.

So “representatives” of ND approached Kenny Pickett last year trying to get him to enter the portal and xfer to ND. Yea, the portal blows in its current configuration. School representatives using burner phones etc etc.
I heard about that

Packer and Durham have had on two coaches today and they both complained about the portal and NIL. Sounds like tampering is a huge concern and NIL being used to entice a player.

Packer and Durham have had on two coaches today and they both complained about the portal and NIL. Sounds like tampering is a huge concern and NIL being used to entice a player.
Hot take - the portal and NIL as a recruitment tool are problems but a lot of coaches are using them as an excuse for not being able to lie to incoming recruits about the size of the role they'll have in the program so they can just get the guy on campus without any other options

One UVa player has withdrawn from The Portal. DT Aaron Famui will return for his senior year in C'ville.

Really believe that after spring ball, is when the best opportunity for picking up good players will start.
The big name schools will lose players who feel they don't want to be backups, and can immediately play elsewhere.
Up until now, if a player got beat out in the spring they had to play out the year and then transfer. Then they had to sit out a year.
Now a player who was beat out, can transfer and immediately play at their next school.

Really believe that after spring ball, is when the best opportunity for picking up good players will start.
The big name schools will lose players who feel they don't want to be backups, and can immediately play elsewhere.
Up until now, if a player got beat out in the spring they had to play out the year and then transfer. Then they had to sit out a year.
Now a player who was beat out, can transfer and immediately play at their next school.
Good way to put it.

Almost every team has positional imbalances, they are stacked at one and scrambling to get quality starters at another.

I think every g5 and lower division or juco that is ready to move, and worth a P5 taking, is already out there. like You said the next wave is the “Joe Burrow” wave.

I wonder if the early portal movement (Nov/Dec/Jan) is guys looking to move up. And maybe the Spring movement will be guys who are looking for a better opportunity to play, so they will be moving “down.” Just a theory.

The biggest question on transferring is the admissions process at their new school. Are they still accepting transfer applications in April when most spring games take place?

The biggest question on transferring is the admissions process at their new school. Are they still accepting transfer applications in April when most spring games take place?
At Syracuse registration for Summer is 3/23/22. Registration for Fall is 4/13 to 5/11. Looking at those dates I would say no unless the transferee doesn't mind not being able to arrive on campus until August.

*Transfer application deadline is December 1 with the preferred deadline of November 15. Transfer applications will be accepted on a space available basis after November 15 for spring enrollment. Although the transfer application deadline for the fall semester is July 1, we encourage you to apply earlier. The earlier you apply, the earlier you will be notified. It is in your best interest to apply earlier for the fall semester as transfer students are admitted on a rolling basis beginning in late February and some programs are limited in space.

Last edited:
At Syracuse registration for Summer is 3/23/22. Registration for Fall is 4/13 to 5/11. Looking at those dates I would say no unless the transferee doesn't mind not being able to arrive on campus until August.

*Transfer application deadline is December 1 with the preferred deadline of November 15. Transfer applications will be accepted on a space available basis after November 15 for spring enrollment. Although the transfer application deadline for the fall semester is July 1, we encourage you to apply earlier. The earlier you apply, the earlier you will be notified. It is in your best interest to apply earlier for the fall semester as transfer students are admitted on a rolling basis beginning in late February and some programs are limited in space.

Another date to be aware of is May 1st, which the deadline for a transfer to a new school and be eligible for football in 2022. The date for immediate eligibility last year was July 1st.

• March 23rd; SU registration for summer classes.
  • April 1st; Spring Football game (the real Portal Cup), end of spring football at SU.
  • April 13th - May 11th; Registration for fall classes at SU
  • May 1st: Deadline to transfer and be eligible for football in 2022.

With spring ball ending April 1st, Syracuse football will have one month to secure replacements from the portal for any player who decides to transfer enter the portal following spring ball. Unfortunately, with several schools not finishing spring ball until late in April, some players won't be entering the portal until the very end of April.

"The deadlines will be May 1 for fall and winter sport student-athletes and July 1 for spring sport student-athletes, but the Council also granted a blanket waiver for this year (2021) only that sets the date for all student-athletes as July 1." NCAA

Another date to be aware of is May 1st, which the deadline for a transfer to a new school and be eligible for football in 2022. The date for immediate eligibility last year was July 1st.

• March 23rd; SU registration for summer classes.
  • April 1st; Spring Football game (the real Portal Cup), end of spring football at SU.
  • April 13th - May 11th; Registration for fall classes at SU
  • May 1st: Deadline to transfer and be eligible for football in 2022.

With spring ball ending April 1st, Syracuse football will have one month to secure replacements from the portal for any player who decides to transfer enter the portal following spring ball. Unfortunately, with several schools not finishing spring ball until late in April, some players won't be entering the portal until the very end of April.

"The deadlines will be May 1 for fall and winter sport student-athletes and July 1 for spring sport student-athletes, but the Council also granted a blanket waiver for this year (2021) only that sets the date for all student-athletes as July 1." NCAA

No. May 1st is the last day for players of Fall/Winter Sports to enter the portal. Unless you are in the SEC and intend to transfer within the conference, then the last day to enter the portal is 2/1/22. Seems the SEC has made up some rules of their own for their conference.

If I were a coach, I wouldn't release a post spring depth chart. It's only 15 practices, the split of the reps in many spots probably won't be that obvious. You're trying to develop everyone in the spring.

If I were a coach, I wouldn't release a post spring depth chart. It's only 15 practices, the split of the reps in many spots probably won't be that obvious. You're trying to develop everyone in the spring.
Are you trying to deceive players into staying or other schools from knowing whom to target? Players will know where they stand without a depth chart. As far as other schools, pretty sure ND knew Pickett was atop the Pitt depth chart when they targeted him. Of course that could have just been "The Kelly Effect" but he is not the only coach like that.

Guessing their will be lots or OR's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom