The 2021-2022 Portal Cup | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021-2022 Portal Cup

It’s slowing down a little from Monday and Tuesday but overall there is around 300 players in the portal. Could be over 500 by 12-15.
Unfortunately when the music stops a lot of players are going to be left without a chair.

That last part of the last sentence gets stated a lot, and it's true. My question is why do we keep saying it? Why do we care? They are adults making adult decisions and have to live with adult consequences like all of us. When I graduated college, I quit a job because I thought I had the inside track on another. I thought I was a shoe-in because my mom knew the owner. I didn't get the job. I moved on and did something else. Football players aren't the only ones making these types of decisions. They will move on and find something else.

That last part of the last sentence gets stated a lot, and it's true. My question is why do we keep saying it? Why do we care? They are adults making adult decisions and have to live with adult consequences like all of us. When I graduated college, I quit a job because I thought I had the inside track on another. I thought I was a shoe-in because my mom knew the owner. I didn't get the job. I moved on and did something else. Football players aren't the only ones making these types of decisions. They will move on and find something else.
"Adults" is a loose term

More like "big boys"

Last edited:
Nebraska QB Adrian Martinez hit the portal today. He looks like the best QB to hit free agency this off season.

VT starting WR Tayvion Robinson also in the portal. 44 receptions for 559 yards and 5 touchdowns and the best punt returner in the country.

Duke lost a starting DT 6-2 320 Gary Smith III

Nebraska QB Adrian Martinez hit the portal today. He looks like the best QB to hit free agency this off season.

VT starting WR Tayvion Robinson also in the portal. 44 receptions for 559 yards and 5 touchdowns and the best punt returner in the country.

Duke lost a starting DT 6-2 320 Gary Smith III
Duke low key losing significant players

Maryland took some hits to kids with a lot of remaining eligibility

It’s slowing down a little from Monday and Tuesday but overall there is around 300 players in the portal. Could be over 500 by 12-15.
Unfortunately when the music stops a lot of players are going to be left without a chair.
There are more than that in the portal. There are both FCS and FBS players who just entered the portal and all those other who are still aimlessly roaming the portal.

This is craziness. Every day, the numbers of players everywhere. I think Cuse has as good a chance as any team getting good players looking for an opportunity in a P5 conference.

We have now offered two FIU transfers, OT Miles Frazier, and WR Tyrese Chambers.

Makes you wonder if we've offered their outgoing OC as well that Nate Mink mentioned.
That would be an awful hire. FIU’s offensive numbers were worse once he took over in 2021. FIU’s offense was statistically worse than ours in every important category this season, even completion percentage.

That would be an awful hire. FIU’s offensive numbers were worse once he took over in 2021. FIU’s offense was statistically worse than ours in every important category this season, even completion percentage.

I can't say I'd be thrilled about it. If you look at their season, the offense really faded down the stretch. Shafer basically owned him.

At some point, that whole Butch Davis scenario became weird and probably spread thru the team, for whatever that's worth. And Moorhead really seems to like the guy, for whatever that's worth.

I do hope we can get that WR, his numbers look legit. Don't know much about the OT. (Don't know much Biology).

I’ve said this a bunch of times. It’s going to be a huge reality check for these players and they don’t know enough to realize it. Adults helped put them in this position by making a rule to benefit factory schools at the expensive of 90% of college players.
The old rule was the amateur equivalent of baseball’s old reserve clause. As soon as players had representation, that was eliminated (in arbitration).

FIU averaged 265 yards passing per game. SU averaged 150. They averaged more per attempt and 20 tds. We had 10. Overall they averaged more per play than us, more per game than us and more total yards than us. Statistically they were a smidge better than us in most categories except in rushing. Not that any of the numbers are great but that was a 1-11 team. Shows how bad our O was.

I don’t know if he’s the answer but his overall body of work is ok ( he’s young) and in our current situation I’m not sure what we can even get.

Last edited:
FIU averaged 265 yards passing per game. SU averaged 150. They averaged more per attempt and 20 tds. We had 10. Overall they averaged more per play than us, more per game than us and more total yards than us. Statistically they were a smidge better than us in most categories except in rushing. Not that any of the numbers are great but that was a 1-11 team. Shows how bad our O was.

I don’t know if he’s the answer but his overall body of work is ok ( he’s young) and in our current situation I’m not sure what we can even get.

They threw the ball 76% of the time, so of course the passing numbers are higher. But look at other numbers (from Teamrankings.com / only FBS games)

Points per Game
SU - 21.5 (104th)
FIU - 17.8 (119th)

Points per Play
SU - 0.319 (101st)
FIU - 0.264 (118th)

Red Zone Scoring %
SU - 75% (104th)
FIU - 65.38% (128th)

Yards per Game
SU - 343.4 (101st)
FIU - 346.6 (99th)

Man the portal is a complete cluster F! But at the same time these coaches leaving in the middle of the night like Kelly is what has caused this madness .

This is craziness. Every day, the numbers of players everywhere. I think Cuse has as good a chance as any team getting good players looking for an opportunity in a P5 conference.
Enough for 44 starting Offenses or Defenses... lol.

I think this is partly by design. IF every player was truly given a Covid year? Super seniors would never count against the 85. But now they do. (6 compressed into 5) The portal is a good way to thin the heard, get rid of guaranteed schollies, etc...

As much as I hate that? I think the additional #'s will help to serve as a future reality check. Not just for players, but for coaches that need to improve team culture from 1-85.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom