The QB situation | Syracusefan.com

The QB situation

kcsu

Living Legend
This is what i believe will happen.
TD returns, starts and has a very good season. Why. Because the OL is going to be solid, Taj Q Hendrix Benson Jackson Alford and Nyk who will return are all going to be significantly improved. Add Tucker, Lutz, Hough and a transfer and we have a very capable O.
JM Tex and Lamson if he arrives in January battle for the back-up position.
Rex becomes a graduate assistant and we dont bring in another QB.
The more i look into Tommy's situation the more it makes sense for him to return. Sure he has improvements to make but he has never had a decent line. I think that TD and the receivers really suffered by missing out on the spring and summer. Throw in all of the injuries and opt outs and he didn't have a chance. Ive said this before but his injury is going to end up being a blessing for him and the team.
TD will start next year and we wont bring in another QB.

They need to bring in another QB, TD hasn't shown enough to at a minimum not bring in some competition especially with the transfers we should be able to get a competent backup, DB should give the freshman the chance to prove it but they can't make the same mistake 3 seasons in a row with the QB room

So you want a transfer to come to a spot with a 2 yr returning starter and a whole boat load of FR to compete in what is probably his last year of playing a sport?

So you want a transfer to come to a spot with a 2 yr returning starter and a whole boat load of FR to compete in what is probably his last year of playing a sport?
i’d like a true transfer or a juco. I don’t want a grad transfer. Tommy’s fine with me.

Still the same issue.. TD has 2 yrs left if he wanted to. I think if Tommy wants to come back and I am all for that you live with the backups. At some point you need your QB recruits to work out, If the oline is just a bit better things will be ok.

This is what i believe will happen.
TD returns, starts and has a very good season. Why. Because the OL is going to be solid, Taj Q Hendrix Benson Jackson Alford and Nyk who will return are all going to be significantly improved. Add Tucker, Lutz, Hough and a transfer and we have a very capable O.
JM Tex and Lamson if he arrives in January battle for the back-up position.
Rex becomes a graduate assistant and we dont bring in another QB.
The more i look into Tommy's situation the more it makes sense for him to return. Sure he has improvements to make but he has never had a decent line. I think that TD and the receivers really suffered by missing out on the spring and summer. Throw in all of the injuries and opt outs and he didn't have a chance. Ive said this before but his injury is going to end up being a blessing for him and the team.
TD will start next year and we wont bring in another QB.
The only problem with this theory, and I hope that I'm wrong, is that we haven't see significant player development in the 5 years that Dino has been here. I don't think Taj gets any better at catching the ball. I don't know that I'd bank on TD to have a very good season. I don't know if he has the staff surrounding him to fix the issues in regards to pocket presence and other things previously mentioned. I think he could have an average to slightly above-average season if the OL and Tucker can stay healthy. I think our ceiling next year is 7 wins.

What transfer QB do we get that is good enough to run the offense better than TD? Have we become Oklahoma?

What transfer QB do we get that is good enough to run the offense better than TD? Have we become Oklahoma?
Honestly, I've watched quite a few AAC games this season, and the qb play is visibly superior to what we've gotten over the last two seasons. There are a lot of quality throwers out there, and they can also scramble for yards to boot.
BC got their qb from Notre Dame, and Pitt from Arizona State. Are we not a peer school to them?

Last edited:
Honestly, I've watched quite a few AAC games this season, and the qb play is visibly superior to what we've gotten over the last two seasons. There are a lot of quality throwers out there, and they can also scramble for yards to boot.
BC got their qb from Notre Dame, and Pitt from Arizona State. Are we not a perr school to them?
Right now we are not. Did either of them have established starters returning that got beat out by the transfer?

What I'd like to see most is 1 year of what this offense can do with Tommy:
[1] behind a solid, injury free O-line (Veterello, Bergeron, Bleich, Davis, Davis, Red, Froumy, Barclay, Iloma and the 5 incoming frosh),
[2] the young, bigger WR in the mix,
[3] 4-deep diverse RB group (Tucker, Jordan, Lutz, Hough), and
[4] Sterlin Gilbert relaxed and groovy in the play calling (take a step back Dino, you're way too predictable).

What I'd like to see least is Rex come back for year 6 and restrict the opportunity for the young guys.

I don't see a capable transfer coming here for 1 year if TD is still here.

At some point you have to roll with the young guys. Tommy next year would be great, hope he'd be able to get drafted in 2022. Then bring a transfer as CYA or backup. Need to move Tommy on out so Dino can get a higher rated HS stud. Bridge a couple years with Morgan, Markewicz and Lamson.

Its not about having someone better than Tommy come in, its about having competent depth. What we have right now is hardly competent depth. There needs to be better competition in camp/practice.

We need to see more of Morgan and Dillon before we muddy the quarterback room with a transfer or juco......unless we're talking starter

Last edited:
My money would be on Tommy not coming back.
His Dad has been threatening to transfer since 2018 and the whole social media thing seems odd when every other D1 athlete has his/her school and team listed

[1] behind a solid, injury free O-line (Veterello, Bergeron, Bleich, Davis, Davis, Red, Froumy, Barclay, Iloma and the 5 incoming frosh)

Is Q White omitted on purpose?

Year 3 (year 4?) in S&C and you'd think you think the fanbase would start getting excited for him to push for minutes, no?

He had high hopes -- what happened to him?

Is Q White omitted on purpose?

Year 3 (year 4?) in S&C and you'd think you think the fanbase would start getting excited for him to push for minutes, no?

He had high hopes -- what happened to him?
I believe someone had mentioned that it’s something that might not be related to football. He’s been on the sidelines but not suited up. Hopefully whatever it is he’s fine and healthy to suit up next year

I believe someone had mentioned that it’s something that might not be related to football. He’s been on the sidelines but not suited up. Hopefully whatever it is he’s fine and healthy to suit up next year

Thanks - hopefully everything is okay with him.

My money would be on Tommy not coming back.
His Dad has been threatening to transfer since 2018 and the whole social media thing seems odd when every other D1 athlete has his/her school and team listed
I forgot about the whole social media thing. Doesn't sound like a guy who is putting all his chips in on SU, to put it mildly.

Its not about having someone better than Tommy come in, its about having competent depth. What we have right now is hardly competent depth. There needs to be better competition in camp/practice.
That's what some are saying, but not everybody.