The Queen's Gambit (Netflix) | Syracusefan.com

The Queen's Gambit (Netflix)

upperdeck

Living Legend
anyone else watch it? Never heard of the book.. I like chess and just enough in it to not require being too chess proficient to follow.. The Actress did a nice job and they did some high level chess discussion/history in old time masters to make it some fun. I think its done after the limited series release. I enjoyed it and the female take on the mostly male sport at the time was interesting.

I never heard of her but I see she is playing the lead in the max max prequel

the story was written by the dude who wrote the novel the Hustler is based on and he color or money and has that same gritty tone and also wrote the man who fell to earth

anyone else watch it? Never heard of the book.. I like chess and just enough in it to not require being too chess proficient to follow.. The Actress did a nice job and they did some high level chess discussion/history in old time masters to make it some fun. I think its done after the limited series release. I enjoyed it and the female take on the mostly male sport at the time was interesting.

I never heard of her but I see she is playing the lead in the max max prequel

the story was written by the dude who wrote the novel the Hustler is based on and he color or money and has that same gritty tone and also wrote the man who fell to earth

I watched the first four episodes in one night. I was only planning on watching the the first, but I just kept saying "I'll watch one more.." and then it was 4am.

I thought they did a great job of making a story about chess accessible and enjoyable, and enjoyed the acting and the character development with even the smaller roles. I'll probably watch the rest this weekend.

It's so good. We have one episode left. She's an exceptional actress and is building a great resume.

As an aside, I love the short series format in general. More than a movie, not as big of a commitment as a multi-season show. It's perfect. And the storytelling just feels better. Nothing's wasted or strung out longer than it should be.

Very well done series. Anya Taylor-Joy is excellent. I also agree that the minor character development is strong.

Also, it’s kinda fun to see kid actors in grown up roles (i.e., Dudley from Harry Potter franchise and Sam from Love Actually). Both are also very good in their supporting roles.

Very well done series. Anya Taylor-Joy is excellent. I also agree that the minor character development is strong.

Also, it’s kinda fun to see kid actors in grown up roles (i.e., Dudley from Harry Potter franchise and Sam from Love Actually). Both are also very good in their supporting roles.

I didn't even recognize Dudley until you said it. That's awesome!

Anybody seen this yet? The whole thing runs about 7 hours, maybe. A girl from Kentucky is a chess prodigy in the Fifties and Sixties. Randomly settled on it while scraping Netflix for something good. This thing is REAL good.

Anybody seen this yet? The whole thing runs about 7 hours, maybe. A girl from Kentucky is a chess prodigy in the Fifties and Sixties. Randomly settled on it while scraping Netflix for something good. This thing is REAL good.
Yep

It's so good. We have one episode left. She's an exceptional actress and is building a great resume.

As an aside, I love the short series format in general. More than a movie, not as big of a commitment as a multi-season show. It's perfect. And the storytelling just feels better. Nothing's wasted or strung out longer than it should be.
We were on the fence about her in Peaky Blinders, but thats because she’s so good you get mad at her. The wife watched this one and binged it in one weekend. Didn’t even give me the chance to catch up.

Garry Kasparov was the technical advisor and he insisted on games being realistic. The climactic game was from a real one years ago. The winner recognized it and called Kasparov to tell him he did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom