The results are likely going to be poor but the coaching and development has to improve | Syracusefan.com

The results are likely going to be poor but the coaching and development has to improve

Alsacs

Living Legend
I am ticked off we are losing but what is truly unacceptable is the coaching and players improving week to week.

I don’t see the coaching correcting mistakes.
That is on the staff.

We can lose games by talent but beating ourselves is unacceptable.

I believe Dino is a good coach but his staff needs to coach these kids up.
I trust the defensive coordinator as well.

Film room study what is going on.

I am ticked off we are losing but what is truly unacceptable is the coaching and players improving week to week.

That is on the staff.

Yesterday, we were boat raced by a school that has none of the advantages that we do. And we don't have advantages over that many schools. Coming off a bye. How good of a coach Dino is , is really up for debate. Every school has injuries.

Our approach on O, recruiting and scheme, has been unacceptable. That’s fair to admit at this point. We cannot compete with this offense. Open up the middle, sustain drives with some screens and slants, or we’re screwed

Duke has more talent than we do.
Cutcliffe gets transfers from other schools and gets more 4 star talent than we do.

Our recruiting class this year is finally good enough.
Dino screwed up recruiting his first 3 years not getting enough depth at OL and QB.

Our coaching staff has done a terrible job and buck does stop with Dino even though I like Dino.

Film room should correct these mistakes we don’t correct them.

Cuse goes from a 10 - 3 season with bowl win to this disgrace on the field and with coaching. Rutgers with Shady is now in a position to surpass us because he can recruit and coach (some exceptions) and BC is heading upwards in first year of Hadley. Think it is time to strongly consider a change for I do not see any success moving forward with this staff and their #13 rated recruiting class in the ACC. As an ex-player, I am PISSED in what I am seeing...each and every week.

Cuse goes from a 10 - 3 season with bowl win to this disgrace on the field and with coaching. Rutgers with Shady is now in a position to surpass us because he can recruit and coach (some exceptions) and BC is heading upwards in first year of Hadley. Think it is time to strongly consider a change for I do not see any success moving forward with this staff and their #13 rated recruiting class in the ACC. As an ex-player, I am PISSED in what I am seeing...each and every week.
Schiano took advantage of a desperate situation.
He never beat a really good team at Rutgers outside of Louisville in 2006 and that Louisville team wasn’t anything special.

They still have Penn State/Ohio State and Michigan every year and they play 9 conference games a season.
That only gives him a chance to schedule 3 wins in nonconference games. Schiano improved Rutgers after Miami/VPi/BC left and he could schedule 5 nonconference games which padded his record.

We just need a coaching staff that can recruit. We aren’t going to get top 25 talent we need a staff that can recruit the same level of talent Pitt/BC/Wake get.

We don’t recruit well enough. NYS
HSFB needs to get better at producing P5 talent.

Hopefully the RBs and O-line get healthy and we can get the running game going. Rex should get his shot at QB but I want to see a couple of the freshman play outside of the Clemson game. If they're better than expected, maybe we pull off a win against BC or Wake.

The coaching is mind boggling. Half the time I can't believe what I'm watching. Tommy running the option...to the short side of the field. Gilbert might as well tell the refs we're forfeiting a down. DB's playing 7 yards off, Brice throws a crappy pass to a wide open receiver. I say to myself, that was so easy, they should just run the same play again. Next play, 3rd and 7. We give a soft cushion AGAIN, they run the same play again, easy pitch and catch for a first down. How does White play that coverage twice in a row?

Cutcliffe gets transfers from other schools and gets more 4 star talent than we do.

Dino screwed up recruiting his first 3 years not getting enough depth at OL and QB.

Our coaching staff has done a terrible job and buck does stop with Dino even though I like Dino.

I agree but a lot of these mistakes have been going on since he got here save 2018. Its hard to see them getting corrected anytime soon.

The coaching is mind boggling. Half the time I can't believe what I'm watching. Tommy running the option...to the short side of the field. Gilbert might as well tell the refs we're forfeiting a down. DB's playing 7 yards off, Brice throws a crappy pass to a wide open receiver. I say to myself, that was so easy, they should just run the same play again. Next play, 3rd and 7. We give a soft cushion AGAIN, they run the same play again, easy pitch and catch for a first down. How does White play that coverage twice in a row?

Agree about the DBs and the cushion absolutely mindboggling and honestly infuriating. The lack of adjustments are telling.

[/QUOTE]
Your right and that bottom statement is not gonna happen. Sadly, a lost season of NYS high school football in 2020 only sets things back further in development of the talent pool

That is on the staff.

Being Syracuse, there are challenges we’ll always have to work around: not a hotbed for HS football, fan support will wane bc it’s not in the dna of the culture like the south, never have the influx of financial support across the board (all this equals not becoming a football factory, always limited depth).

What I want to see and think can be done: great special teams, especially kicking, disciplined teams (ie no dumb penalties), leveraging speed, dual threat QBs, smart coaching.

To your point, the week over week corrections and incremental improvements have to be present for us to compete. We can’t rely on our depth or top end talent. Can’t rely on a shut out on D or a blitzkrieg offensive performance. We need to fix the fixable things and win some of the 50/50 moments.

Being Syracuse, there are challenges we’ll always have to work around: not a hotbed for HS football, fan support will wane bc it’s not in the dna of the culture like the south, never have the influx of financial support across the board (all this equals not becoming a football factory, always limited depth).

What I want to see and think can be done: great special teams, especially kicking, disciplined teams (ie no dumb penalties), leveraging speed, dual threat QBs, smart coaching.

To your point, the week over week corrections and incremental improvements have to be present for us to compete. We can’t rely on our depth or top end talent. Can’t rely on a shut out on D or a blitzkrieg offensive performance. We need to fix the fixable things and win some of the 50/50 moments.
I want to see us go air raid. Have for a long time. Thought we were. We're not.

The Dome is our unique advantage.

Enough with trying to be balanced. Enough with "we need to run the ball." Enough with trying to have a stout defense. We will never do these things well consistently.

With a home slate of perfect throwing conditions, we could be top 5 in passing yardage every season.

I guarantee we'd have a lot more fun as a program.

Last edited:
I agree but a lot of these mistakes have been going on since he got here save 2018. Its hard to see them getting corrected anytime soon.

Exactly, these have been mistakes from the start that partially were brushed off because we had 1 great season.

At this point, I honestly don't know that DB is a great coach. 1 season doesn't make you good, especially with someone else's recruits.

I want to see us go air raid. Have for a long time. Thought we were. We're not.

The Dome is our unique advantage.

Enough with trying to be balanced. Enough with "we need to run the ball." Enough with trying to have a stout defense. We will never do these things well consistently.

With a home slate of perfect throwing conditions, we could be top 5 in passing yardage every season.

I guarantee we'd have a lot more fun as a program.
I'm rooting for dino but I'd love it if we hired sunny dykes we'd make bowl games consistently have an exciting offense and he's a good recruiter, he'd get tons of talent from the portal we couldnt dream of landing out of HS, he's down a great job at SMU, he would do well here.

Is there any realistic HC that you see coming to Syracuse and actually staying? DB should stay but if 2021 is bad then serious discussions must go on. Unfortunately in this college climate Syracuse is only a stepping stone job.

Is there any realistic HC that you see coming to Syracuse and actually staying? DB should stay but if 2021 is bad then serious discussions must go on. Unfortunately in this college climate Syracuse is only a stepping stone job.
Maybe there's a coach out there that considers Syracuse to be his dream job.

Like Doug Marrone.

Duke was without a ACC win coming in to our place. Their academic standings are higher than ours. They took us apart on the ground . And it's our coaching staff's job to get the talent.

Rutgers hasn’t played a game under Shady yet.

Fair assessment and I am right with you. Its fairly obvious that ED was ridden to that 10-3 season along with talented wrs and a decent OL. The T2 played well enough with some leads as that is what that scheme is premised on. The expectations last year were nuts bc not many say what ED brought to this team. It was rather ignored thinking it was the system. Dino doesn't even run tempo anymore, he is just trying to get it right , so the gimmick is exposed.

Fair assessment and I am right with you. Its fairly obvious that ED was ridden to that 10-3 season along with talented wrs and a decent OL. The T2 played well enough with some leads as that is what that scheme is premised on. The expectations last year were nuts bc not many say what ED brought to this team. It was rather ignored thinking it was the system. Dino doesn't even run tempo anymore, he is just trying to get it right , so the gimmick is exposed.

Your right and that bottom statement is not gonna happen. Sadly, a lost season of NYS high school football in 2020 only sets things back further in development of the talent pool
[/QUOTE]

I like the mindset, but nys only produces a few recruits we will go after year to year.

Cuse can be a destination. Originally thought dino would retire here but aside from our thoughts, he is already gassed and lost his mojo. it's sad and a problem. Bc made a great hire with hafley, the ville with their coach.