The return of former players. | Syracusefan.com

The return of former players.

SBU72

All Conference
With the change in transfer rules caused by the portal, literally thousands of players are changing schools and play right aw away. JJ Starling will play against his former team. Maybe Westry could too. JG3 could very well play against the Orange if he chooses Clemson, (maybe even twice!). There is a possibility Edwards could too if SU and WV both make the tourny. (The NCAA would love the draw of a SU/WV match up). My question is, has this happened previously that a former SU player played against his former teammates?

With the change in transfer rules caused by the portal, literally thousands of players are changing schools and play right aw away. JJ Starling will play against his former team. Maybe Westry could too. JG3 could very well play against the Orange if he chooses Clemson, (maybe even twice!). There is a possibility Edwards could too if SU and WV both make the tourny. (The NCAA would love the draw of a SU/WV match up). My question is, has this happened previously that a former SU player played against his former teammates?
I will start the booooo’s if WVU shows up for an ass kicking anywhere in the northeast

Earl Duncan and Keith Hughes at Rutgers.

I remember Rock Lloyd coming back for Carrier Classic (I think) with Long Beach st

Wasn't there a time not so long ago, when schools could block transfers to teams that they could potentially play against? Made this scenario far less likely, no?

We played against Hawaii in the 1994 NCAA tournament. Anthony Harris had transferred there, however I think he was sitting out that year.

without doing a search, I feel like michael lloyd with george washington @ Manley for some reason? I might be all wet.

without doing a search, I feel like michael lloyd with george washington @ Manley for some reason? I might be all wet.
Or Rock Lloyd with Long Beach State. Kind of close for a foggy brain.

Michael Lloyd hit a buzzer beater to put the game into OT at Manley, against George Washington. But we lost. He left college after his year at SU and actually put his name in the NBA draft, but wasn’t picked. He didn’t transfer or ever play for GW.

Michael Lloyd hit a buzzer beater to put the game into OT at Manley, against George Washington. But we lost. He left college after his year at SU and actually put his name in the NBA draft, but wasn’t picked. He didn’t transfer or ever play for GW.
That’s actually a trivia answer. Las team SU lost to at Manley.

That’s actually a trivia answer. Las team SU lost to at Manley.

Um, pretty sure that was Georgetown.

(Sad to say - but, it did heat up that rivalry)

jimmy boeheim dropped 16 on cornell. thanks for the ivy degree !
also remember we had a center who transferred out and came back and had a big block game against us. it wasn't sean (cat rescuer) williams but i'm drawing a blank. help.was it dashonte riley ?
(edit 2012 eastern michigan 6 blocks 5 boards 25 minutes.) 2013 his line was zeds.2 fouls 2 TO's.

Last edited:
Um, pretty sure that was Georgetown.

(Sad to say - but, it did heat up that rivalry)
Nope. As stated above, it was George Washington. I can’t remember what was going on that had SU playing in Manley for a game and not the Dome (probably a stupid monster truck rally or Debbie Gibson concert) but it was years after we left Manley. I think it was ‘94 or ‘95.

My dad took me to that Manley game, born in 84 so too young to see when we actually played there. We sat behind the GW band, and I got into it with them a bit. Tough loss for young me to stomach, but cool experience that I will always remember.

My work study job for a couple years was after hours security at Manley - which consisted of me hanging around the facility at night with a bunch of the players and occasionally coaches, and night time pick-up games on the Manley court. Anyway, the GW game was on one of my scheduled nights so I got paid to be there, had essentially an all-access pass which was pretty cool. I remember being in the hallway from the locker rooms while both teams were waiting to take the court - a fun memory aside from the loss.

No. The loss to GW (1994) was after SU was in the Dome. The game was moved there due to some Dome conflict.
A crowd of 9,521 had been on hand for the finale. (But actually one more game was to be played in Manley--a heavy November snow storm in 1994 had made it necessary to lower the roof so the George Washington contest was switched to Manley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom